FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cinco de Mayo

Donutey
I was just wondering, is Cinco de Mayo celebrated in other spanish speaking countries other than in Mexico and some parts of the US?

Anybody have any plans for the day the napoleon III was defeated by the mexicans? (here is an instance of they won the battle, but not the war... ) Rolling Eyes
Soulfire
We celebrate in our Spanish class. Food, crafts, and fun! Mmm... quesadillas and empanadas! Although, the empanadas are native of Chile and not Mexico, they're good all the same.

To my knowledge, it's not a widely celebrated holiday in any other country. It's similar to a country's independence day, etc. I would suspect if people of Mexican descent were in another country, they would still observe the holiday.

I like it!
NjRocket
Besides the little spanish partys in school back in the day, i dont see anyone celebrating Cinco de Mayo around town. I know alot of spanish speaking areas celebrate this and take part in alot of festives.
h5n1clan
usually cinco de mayo is just an excuse to get drunk in america. . . god bless the mexicans beating the french
Blaster
Cinco de mayo was not when mexico got there independince. It was the turing point in that war though.

But being in both spaish and culture class will be fun. To partys tomorrow Very Happy
rightclickscott
I'm celebrating with some good ol' Tequila! Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! It's the Mexican St. Patty's day!
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
I'm celebrating with some good ol' Tequila! Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! It's the Mexican St. Patty's day!

never heard that comparison before...but I like it Cool

Good One my fellow pastafarian
lukeropro
I'm still confused...what exactly is cinco de mayo? I know it's a mexican holiday but the origins?
FerSx
Here in Venezuela we don’t celebrate it, but know I have an excuse to grab some beer tonight…

VIVA EL 5 DE MAYO… Laughing
DeFwh
happy mexican day ......

Cinco de Mayo = 5th of May = May 5th

Spanish is fun.
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

never heard that comparison before...but I like it Cool

Good One my fellow pastafarian

Thanks, buddy. May the Flying Spagetti Monster be with you on this joyous Cinco day Mayo.

lukeropro wrote:
I'm still confused...what exactly is cinco de mayo? I know it's a mexican holiday but the origins?

This is the day when the Mexicans celebrate their revolution from the French and Mexico became a real country. So, the perfect way to celebrate is with some cheap Tequila.
nilsmo
I am one of the few in my school that takes French (not Spanish) so since my culture was beaten in the Cinco de Mayo, today in schol I had to learn French vocabulary in a room while most of the rest of the school was in a school party, eating tacos and wearing sombreros.. Sad
mantasx
Only in Mexico and Us, learned it in School today Smile
izimngcubes15
I live in Arlington, TX and my schools is closed, they celebrate Cinco de Mayo here, yay! ^.^
Blaster
Cinco de mayo is a holiday of a turning point in the war. Start reading if you want to know more about cinco de mayo
CrookedBlaze
I live about 15 minutes from the boarder and about 20 minutes from Tijuana.

Even the old retired people from Germany down the street are celebrating.

I think it's a worldwide thing, for people who are educated about it.
rightclickscott
CrookedBlaze wrote:
I think it's a worldwide thing, for people who are educated about it.

I just think it's an excuse to be lazy and get drunk for anyone who wants to participate. Who wants to toast to Mexican independence!? If so, say HERE HERE!
Donutey
It's not mexican independence, and although it was a turning point, the leader of the mexicans at pueblo (the town where the french were defeated at on the 5th of May), Zaragoza died of typhoid fever reducing the moral of his troops, and the next year the french came back with 30 000 troups and took over the country. Rolling Eyes
Blaster
Donutey wrote:
It's not mexican independence, and although it was a turning point, the leader of the mexicans at pueblo (the town where the french were defeated at on the 5th of May), Zaragoza died of typhoid fever reducing the moral of his troops, and the next year the french came back with 30 000 troups and took over the country. Rolling Eyes

Just what he said. It wasn't what people think. Donutey has it right. you win... nothing Very Happy
rightclickscott
That still doesn't mean we can't drink to celebrate it.
Donutey
rightclickscott wrote:
That still doesn't mean we can't drink to celebrate it.

lol

I remember reading in some spanish language online paper, that "the consumption of alcohol tainted the original message of Cinco de Mayo", I had to read that a couple of times, I guess it was funnier in spanish... Rolling Eyes
lukeropro
Cinco de mayo sounds like fun but too bad I can't drink beer...I dislike the taste of beer. It's so bitter...
curnow
soundslike a cool holiday. i wonder why i never see anything like that over where i am, in fact i dont see much celebration of anything just "peace people" argue with school systems about muslim holidays. and muslims are like its ok you can celebrate christmas in front of our kids but the "peace people" dont listen and make schools with no celebration.