FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Windows "update" lol

snowboardalliance
Quote:
Size: 0.8 MB

The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows.

More information for this update can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39157

Umm, anyone else see this on the windows update thing? I think it's kind of funny. Is it supposed to be something for anti-piracy or what?
Jamatu
Microsoft are currently on an anti-Piracy campaign, this is one of the steps they are taking to stamp out piracy.

If your version of windows turns out to be a copy you will receive a message about it. From that point on you will only be able to download 'Critical Security Updates' from Windows update. All of the other packages will be blocked out.

Microsoft are planning to realese more anti-piracy programs in the near future.
alkady
If you have a legit version, Their is nothing to fear, I downloaded by accident sadly because I always go for Full Install instead of the custom. But the watermark hasnt appeared so far, So I know my version is 200% legit. But usually they would bundle it with a version important fix don't you think?
Donutey
when auto update prompts you to update, choose custom install, then uncheck the box to install this, and then choose "do not remind me again"

even though my copy of windows is perfectly legit, this software is not needed for any enhancement for using your computer, thus, the code is only a liability. (Imagine if hackers found an exploit to use the pop-up feature of this update to harass you.)
{name here}
Doesn't windows XP already have this built in?
varun_dodla
Must be some effort by Microsoft to curb piracy but wht does he mean by

Quote:
....the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows

I'm sure he is not going to didtribute Windows for free to pirated version users....lol. How does he expect pirates to download and install this after reading that. Real funny man.
OtakuBoi
{name here} wrote:

Yes windows already has WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) built in, but it was a bit ineffective... In the past, when attempting to update, if your windows serial was invalid, you would simply be not allowed to download the update(s)

---
Side Note: Microsoft is kinda dumb, they blocked the update site but you could still get updates through automatic update w/o any trouble
---

Anyway, now with the new update... All they did was

- After you download the update, it will check the key to make sure it's not some pirated crap.. If it detects the copy of windows is pirated it will have a message in the system tray saying "z0mG j0r Windoz iz BAD!" and it will also pop up with that message whenever you boot up/shut down...

Basically they're goal is to annoy people into buying a legit copy >->

Also, about a day after this update was released, someone cracked it and got rid of the stupid messages and all Wink

GJ MICRO$OFT, YOU FAIL.
orno
the idea behind this (i guess) is to shame people into getting a legit version
imagine you're in the middle of a corporate meeting, u startup your computer to show some important stuff to a potential client and he sees that you're using pirated software....

certainly doesnt help in forming a good impression of your company...
Shake
I was pretty sure this had been around for a while now.
Is it that new? I've been seeing stuff like this for years.
Shin
Ye.. They keep sending out this update every few months or so. Is it an ongoing anti piracy measure from MS? If so, why can't they (those people with pirate software) refuse to download this particular update? since you can un tick this item if you go custom update instead of automatic.
n0obie4life
Is it the so-called "Microsoft Update" ?

I'm receiving it, but I couldn't be bothered to update.
xorcist
{name here} wrote:

Ya they have something like that if you go to My Computer and then go to Help and then go to Is this copy of Windows legal, I dont know if they have it on everyone Windows thing.
lukeropro
It's just microsoft's way of preventing software piracy...
orcaz
Does this crap genuine advantage check use up my RAM? I don't seem to see in the process, but I see it in the Program Control of my ZoneAlarm, and when I delete the entry from ZA, it appears on the next startup again. Does it mean that they check everytime u start ur comp?
Daniel15
Bah, I was trying to install this update, but I kept getting an error! Whenever I go to Microsoft Update, it takes about 2 minutes to check for updates, and then prompts me that I need to install this update. Every time I try to do so, my computer sits on 100% CPU usage for about a minute, and then says 'ERROR: The following updates were not installed' (or similar)... Does anyone know how to get it working?

Also, my 'Automatic Updates' is stuck on 'Downloading Updates: 0%' and has been for about 2 hours...
Talk2Tom11
Yes this is a new WGA update.... really annoying for those of you who don't have a real copy of windows. it will eventually give you only 14 days before completely disallowing you to have windows updates... but however it will still let you have critical updates.
FreakyCoderz
Yeaahhh.... I've got that 'dang' thingy on my PC or laptop. Well getting this is just because we use a 'bootleg' installer.

any solutions?
filterchild
Quick question: Would posting a link to a blog post detailing how to temporarily bypass WGA be against forum rules?
vinodmishra
I think yes ..it would be against the forum rules as it is an illegal stuff. Bypassing any security is illegal and so is explaining how to do it.. You can PM ppl though who ask for it [Razz]
KHO
lol, l don't really know if l would trust PMing people, Frih can technically check those, and any posting of warez/whatever is kinda bannable Neutral however, IM and e-mail sounds good lol Neutral.

l have a legit copy, as far as l am concerned anyway Neutral its the original that came on my laptop, so l should have no worries about it being illegal, but l really think this whole thing is just silly, windows is tanking, and while it may not be so fast now, they know it is comming. l don't know about the rest of you, but l am jumping ship lol, windows is far too buggy now anyway. l have been running at least three months, and the worst infection l have is like 16 MRU lists a month, watch out. But windows constantly does stupid crap lol.
orcaz
but mine is a genuine copy, and altho WGA knows it is a genuine copy and nvr pop up anything, I think that it loads every startup coz everytime i delete it frm the ZA program list, it appears again.
FreakyCoderz
Well.... maybe the windows people are ALWAYS BUGGY!!!

They (windows guy) juz don't know how to fulfill their time! Maybe it's kinda fun bugging end-users!
angelussum
Personally, I'm getting sick of always getting these messages from my computer "please reboot now - we have just installed some 'critical upgrades'. Bah.
Daniel15
angelussum wrote:
Personally, I'm getting sick of always getting these messages from my computer "please reboot now - we have just installed some 'critical upgrades'. Bah.

Yeah, that's annoying me heaps! I don't want to restart!!
What's worse, that stupid box pops up every 5 or so minutes... I just want it to go away! Razz
nam_siddharth
varun_dodla wrote:
Must be some effort by Microsoft to curb piracy but wht does he mean by

Quote:
....the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows

I'm sure he is not going to didtribute Windows for free to pirated version users....lol. How does he expect pirates to download and install this after reading that. Real funny man.

It will provide you a genuine serial no. after recieving online payment from you. Using this software you can change your serial no. to genuine version.
FreakyCoderz
of... course, AFTER GETTING PAID.

BTW, what is the price for all this "genuine" thingy?
Ray Salamon
Wow, it's astounding the amount of people who complain about having to pay for a service/product.
If you're not running a legit copy of windows, they tell you about it. So what? Either own up and get a real copy, or don't complain (cos hey, you don't have an inch of room to, you are stealing).
Ever wonder why things are so expensive?

-Ray
FreakyCoderz
nayyy..... I think I'm going back to Mandrake! this windows thingy driving me crazy....!

Any other Linux that is easy to install? For me Mandrake is the easiest; compare to Fedora
Bones
KHO wrote:
lol, l don't really know if l would trust PMing people, Frih can technically check those, and any posting of warez/whatever is kinda bannable Neutral however, IM and e-mail sounds good lol Neutral.

l have a legit copy, as far as l am concerned anyway Neutral its the original that came on my laptop, so l should have no worries about it being illegal, but l really think this whole thing is just silly, windows is tanking, and while it may not be so fast now, they know it is comming. l don't know about the rest of you, but l am jumping ship lol, windows is far too buggy now anyway. l have been running at least three months, and the worst infection l have is like 16 MRU lists a month, watch out. But windows constantly does stupid crap lol.

16 MRU lists a month? Umm you don't know what the MRU list is do you?
It's flagged by Ad-Aware because it keeps track of data. The data that it keeps track of is what programs you use the most. It keeps track of them in XP so that Windows can automatically modify the left column of the start menu to include the programs that you use the most (MRU = Most Recently Used list) it isn't an infection.

I agree, the people that get this message on their systems about not running a legit copy of Windows have no room to complain. If it were my software that everyone was stealing, there would be 10 days that you would see the message, followed by a format of all system drives on day 11.
Wd64
I haven't downloaded a thing from windows. They've scammed me enough with their operating systems, I used some program I found on the internet to get rid of the windows update system. That PC has never switched on since. Twisted Evil

Welliottdude
TheGeek
orcaz wrote:
but mine is a genuine copy, and altho WGA knows it is a genuine copy and nvr pop up anything, I think that it loads every startup coz everytime i delete it frm the ZA program list, it appears again.

In regards to ZA posts. It would seem to me that you could just put it in the list in ZA to not allow it to go through the firewall...am i wrong? Im not suggesting a way to bypass it, but it just seems like MS would have thought about that and it would be sorta funny and a slap in the face to MS if thats all you had to do...
jacky.goy
orcaz wrote:
Does this crap genuine advantage check use up my RAM? I don't seem to see in the process, but I see it in the Program Control of my ZoneAlarm, and when I delete the entry from ZA, it appears on the next startup again. Does it mean that they check everytime u start ur comp?

Ya, they actually do sumething like altered the system files or registry of the booting process. You cant use any other software to change, the only way is reinstall your windows. (* repair windows won't help)
Ray Salamon
Welliottdude64 wrote:
I haven't downloaded a thing from windows. They've scammed me enough with their operating systems, I used some program I found on the internet to get rid of the windows update system. That PC has never switched on since. Twisted Evil

Welliottdude

Do tell how they have "scammed" you with their operating systems... I would love to hear it.

-Ray