FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

die for america?

criticaldensity
If you love your freedoms and your children, are you willing to die for America? If a situation came up, would you sacrifice yourself or atleast put yourself in harms way and possibly die for your country?

OK, I should have clarified this a little more. This question is meant for current US citizens obviously. Still, some interesting replys from you guys. Thanks. Continue...
Jeslyn
For my children, yes.
For myself, possibly.
For my family, yes.
For my country... hell no.
alkady
I don't live in the states, But in Canada, The Northern Neighbors really. But if a war where to erupt, It will really depend if or if not I will fight for the nation.

First I wouldnt fight for a government I don't like, Thats one, I wouldnt fight for something I don't believe in. But if my country where to be invaded, I guess it better to die a hero than a refugee.
toughtrio
For my country yes ofcourse
apistos
No because you there are plenty of other countries that guarantee the smae freedoms as the US. I would die for someone I care about but not for a government and a set of borders.
screamingdecay
I wont die for oil or mexicans going across the river into the usa hell no let them do what they want right there. Rolling Eyes
CWFwrestling
I'd die for the American principals but certainly not what America has become. Would I die for democrasy? In a heartbeat. Would I die to pay for someone's welfare check? Not on your life.
Scorpio
I am not american.

Even if I were one, hell, I wont die for america.
Nameless
I am also not American. I am Australian.

Would I die for America? Hell no.
Would I die for Australia? Hell no.

I think that answers the question.
Vrythramax
would I die for my government...not a chance
would I fight for my country...been there done that
would I fight and/or die for my family...hurt them and find out.
Diebels
Jeslyn wrote:
For my children, yes.
For myself, possibly.
For my family, yes.

same for me!
rightclickscott
It all depends on the circumstance. I would gladly defend my friends and family (except for my stepfather, who brought nothing but misery to me throughout my entire life), but my country is something different. While I would die to defend America, because in it's evolution, it can be the greatest country in the world, but I would never die for the dogs in the government we have now. It will be a cold day in hell if I ever took a bullet for our President (whom I have vowed never to say his name again), Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, or any of the cabinet or supporters of the government we have now. It makes me sick to see the government try to control the internet, police the world, and try all of these radical tricks that can be very risky, and at times, have hurt my country in it's glory. If I could, I would spit all over Karl Rove's face, because, really, our President isn't to blame. He's really just Rove's figure head. And just like someone using a special ed kid to fight another one, the President has done nothing but let himself get manipulated, and in the position of power that he's in, he seriously needs to do something about it.
criticaldensity
Whoah whoah whoah. Thats a good reply, but lets not get too off on a tangent. I just looked into Rove on Wiki. Interesting dood. hmmph!

thanks

ha!! pasta monster Wink
Tumbleweed
Die, as in dead, as in to exist no more..........not many me thinks.
yossaria
Giving that 'America' is no more than a political construction based on the myth of the nation as a distinct political entity which is reified through a 'people' (ein Volk) and reinforced through the development of cartesian space, what you are actually asking, is, should one die for an idea, even a notion. To which, the answer can only be no.
rightclickscott
criticaldensity wrote:
Whoah whoah whoah. Thats a good reply, but lets not get too off on a tangent. I just looked into Rove on Wiki. Interesting dood. hmmph!

thanks

ha!! pasta monster Wink

Heh, I'm an honorable person. I hate it when people try to destroy the country that I was born and raised in just for their personal gain, which is exactly was the administration is doing right now. I will die for my country, but not for my government.

May the Flying Spagetti Monster be with you, my child.
nilsmo
We seem to have come to an almost unanimous decision: hell no. Smile
Jumba
nilsmo wrote:
We seem to have come to an almost unanimous decision: hell no. Smile

I agree, I will never die for America Shocked
h5n1clan
Jeslyn wrote:
For my children, yes.
For myself, possibly.
For my family, yes.

how you wouldnt die to keep yourself from dying? I really dont get the point of saying you wouldnt die to protect yourself. But anyways i would probably do it for my country, because of people that would die for it, thats why we are are a free country
mantasx
No.
mantasx
No. Never.
dkjut
If innocent Americans were in danger, yes.
Jayfarer
It would have to be a really patriotic, really intense moment where I was truly, completely sure it would be worth it and that we were in the right. It has to be some very specific circumstances, really.

Here's a semi-related quote I was reminded of when reading this thread, from the graphic novel/limited comic series, "The New Frontier" by Darwyn Cooke:

"My country has given me everything. Freedom, opportunity, and the chance to fly. I owe my country my life.

But I never felt I owe my country the lives of others. I had sworn to protect my country in every way I can but one. I have not killed for my country." -- Darwyn Cooke.
madsencarl
I'd defend Australia all I can. If I die in the process, too bad. But I love my country. If people were to invade (like the japs...... again) I'd break into a gun shop and equip myself.
coolclay
Well it depends. If people were trying to kill my family or my friends I would fight, but probably not for my country as in my government. Countries are temporary, we all know that countries are temporary but we try to forget, or look the other way and pretend they will last forever. All countries will fall someday, so why loose your life trying to save it.
Ray Gravin
that really depends on the circumstance.

I would die fighting against a group comparable to say... the nazi's.
well mabe? I mean when an evil worth fighting starts to gain in power I would be willing to team up with the opposing group to fight it. I would like to see deplomacy work first though. I dont take much pleasure in war or killing and the like.

So I guess I wouldnt be losing my life in the name of my country per say, but to protect myself and my lovedones and the future for the people who would have to indure the outcome of such a conflict after all of us were gone.

I guess simply put thats a no.... unless america became a much diffrent place and our motivations became more... selfless?
adiutrix
Would fight for my country if it's under the threat of being wiped out of existence. Otherwise no or would serve in a safe place. For children and family, yes.
iridios
yossaria wrote:
Giving that 'America' is no more than a political construction based on the myth of the nation as a distinct political entity which is reified through a 'people' (ein Volk) and reinforced through the development of cartesian space, what you are actually asking, is, should one die for an idea, even a notion. To which, the answer can only be no.

Would you die for your family? Your son or daughter (if you have children)? By your definition above your answer should also be no. After all "Family" is only a concept of a group of humans working together for a mutual benefit. Why not go full evolution, survival of the fittest. If they aren't fit enough to take care of themselves, it's not your problem.

America is a community of individuals working for mutual benefit.
Helios
In Israel, when you turn 18, you have to go to the army.. Razz
I don't know if I'll die for america(probably won't), but if I die in the army, I'll probably die for the Israeli Air Force force ^^
Vrythramax
Helios wrote:
I don't know if I'll die for america(probably won't), but if I die in the army, I'll probably die for the Israeli Air Force force ^^

Upon turning 18 do you have the choice of what branch of the service you want to enter or is the Army a mandatory choice? Is everybody allowed in the service or are some exempt due to illness, fitness, etc.?

Just curious.
smokey4life
There is limitations on what i would do for my country the way the system is setup these days there isn't a chance in hell i would die for my country even though that everything i love and enjoy is on behalf of the people that have died for our freedom. If it were a different playing field and we were fighting for something truly important it might be a different story but I'm assuming your a re referring to the current war in which case I'm not going to fight someone Else's oil battle.
CyanEyed
Jeslyn wrote:
For my children, yes.
For myself, possibly.
For my family, yes.

forget hell no, id rather commit suicide
TheQuietPoet
h5n1clan wrote:
Jeslyn wrote:
For my children, yes.
For myself, possibly.
For my family, yes.

how you wouldnt die to keep yourself from dying? I really dont get the point of saying you wouldnt die to protect yourself. But anyways i would probably do it for my country, because of people that would die for it, thats why we are are a free country

You know... ive been living in this country for 18 years(all my life)and I still dont understand what that means "free country" yes i do think that it used to be free... for a time... it used to mean free to be who and what you want and to live your life how you want to... but now i think it means free for the taking... if you are good at twisting peoples words then you may do what you want with this country... so... hell no... not for my country...
Helios
Vrythramax wrote:
Helios wrote:

Upon turning 18 do you have the choice of what branch of the service you want to enter or is the Army a mandatory choice? Is everybody allowed in the service or are some exempt due to illness, fitness, etc.?

Just curious.

You have to tell them where do you want to serve,
but if you're from a large family, they'll probably take you to a fighting squad.. it also depeds on your "profile"(some kind of a mark for passing medical test.. etc)
The highest "profile" is 97(when you are 100% healthy and have the best fitness).

You can be a Jet flighter (F-16 pilot) with the profile of 62 or 65.. i don't remember atm.

Anyway, illness, bad fitness and other "flaws" lower your "profile" to certain levels. It's like a mark that you get by doing tests in school, but it based on medical exams - they check your overall health.
Vrythramax
Helios wrote:
You have to tell them where do you want to serve,
but if you're from a large family, they'll probably take you to a fighting squad.. it also depeds on your "profile"(some kind of a mark for passing medical test.. etc)
The highest "profile" is 97(when you are 100% healthy and have the best fitness).

You can be a Jet flighter (F-16 pilot) with the profile of 62 or 65.. i don't remember atm.

Anyway, illness, bad fitness and other "flaws" lower your "profile" to certain levels. It's like a mark that you get by doing tests in school, but it based on medical exams - they check your overall health.

it is much the same in the US, with the exception that you are not required to do mandatory service, however you must register with Selective Service (the Draft) at 18, but your entering any branch of the service during a time of peace, or if the Draft has not been enacted, is dependant on health, education and also family status...if you are the last surviving male in your family, you are exempt from wartime service as it is illegal to jeopardize your families bloodline. I am not sure if the criteria would change in a "Draft" situation, except for the final exemption...that would remain.
felisleo
i am not american either.but if there is anyone out there who thinks dying in iraq or any other banana republic is an honarable way to die i would say you will go directly to the bottom of the hell.dont worry americans in the next hundred years nobody is gonna attack us with military or even terrorists if
you mind your own business and stop exploiting and horrassing oil countries.
that is that... Evil or Very Mad
Nutorious
Dunno, Depends on how old i was lol... Na i probably would but i dont think that would ever happen to be honest!
xnontas
I know that this topic is not about me as long as i am not american but my opinion is that if your country needs you you must fight and if you die your family must be proud! Think what would happen in the past if the people wouldn't fight for their country...
(by saying country i don't mean only the territory!)
Bob Simmons
I would die if it would do good for my country. Just plain running out there and trying shoot someone and dieing wouldn't exactly be the smartest thing to do XD. If i died saving more than 25 good lives, i would do it.
Sorry for the high number, but think about it. Human nature is to value your life extremely high. The movies lie Shocked .[/quote]
Dark_Jedi06
If the continued survival of my nation was at stake, then yes, I would die for America.
Vrythramax
I could say many things here as a Veteran of Foriegn Conflicts, but I will say only this...I would fight and quite pssibly die for my family....the rest, I just can't be sure about.
sujan
i am anti christ
i am anti american
i am anti bush
i hate america
so there is no thing for what i have to die for america

but this does not mean that i support iraq and iran
godam64
a lot of people don't want to die. usually they will avoid to join the military war. i'd prefer to be the general that sit on the warm building than to be a private in the war field suffering.

why they killing each other. it's just as a matter of economy scarcity. 1 world is not enough to conquer. we need a galaxy for each poeple in the world Laughing so we wouldn't fight for land, oil, gold, etc.

US people don't want a war, but bush love wars. so the people have to reject bush and persuade him to be more peace lover and a good problem solver, not a problem f---er Evil or Very Mad
smokey4life
godam64 wrote:
a lot of people don't want to die. usually they will avoid to join the military war. i'd prefer to be the general that sit on the warm building than to be a private in the war field suffering.

why they killing each other. it's just as a matter of economy scarcity. 1 world is not enough to conquer. we need a galaxy for each poeple in the world Laughing so we wouldn't fight for land, oil, gold, etc.

US people don't want a war, but bush love wars. so the people have to reject bush and persuade him to be more peace lover and a good problem solver, not a problem f---er Evil or Very Mad

Yeah if you ask me i think bush needs to take his ass out to the battle field and suffer since he risks millsions of others lives at no rish to his own, you know he can simply hop on a plane at the push of a button.
MWANGI
Why would I do such a stupid thing like dying for my Country.Seriously??All the tax that we pay is not enough that we still need to give our life as well?Just ask yourself,what has the country done for you that it deserves dying for??
We give so much to our country especially politicians.In fact you will not be dying for your country,you will be dying for your politicians because the wars caused are for the politicians' interests not yours.You will die for him while he or she is happily f**cking enjoyinh himself or herself in a mansion.
I simply cannot die because our politicians made a childish mess with politicians belonging to another country.They make a mess than expect us to clean up after them in whichever way even though it means dying.

Never.Not me.I'm just brighter than many of you.
pecad0re
Whos gonna die for their country? I wouldnt. Who cares. Its only the name given to a space in the map surrounded by a red line (usually called nacional border). How about going to the disco and play around with some girls? Twisted Evil
junodark
No.

But like Patton said:

Quote:
"War is not about dying for your country. It's about making the other dumb (Insert Patton's Colorful Language Here) die for his."

So, yeah, while I might enjoy a film with a patriotic hero who dies for his country, I am in no way under the illusion that there is any circumstance in which my death could solve anything. I think a more appropriate question is, "Would you risk your life for your country?". In that case, yes.