FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM or Graphics?

willdev
Hello,
I need to upgrade my RAM and Grahpics card but om short on money so can only have one upgrade Sad.

I have 512mb PC4300 and a ATI X300 128mb Sad, what should i upgrade? I would upgrade to 1.5GB of RAM or upgrade to a better graphics card (dont know which yet) the Graphics card would be 256mb.

Cheers for reading.
Rocky3478
RAM, easy. That is the most important of the two...
burzum
yeah go for a RAM, why do you want to change your graphic card? Is there a game you wanna play or something?
willdev
burzum wrote:
yeah go for a RAM, why do you want to change your graphic card? Is there a game you wanna play or something?

Vista mainly because its graphics hungrey Evil or Very Mad
Donutey
RAM, 1GB or 2GB will really make your computer feel faster and more responsive, especially if you can setup a dual channel ddr setup.

I had thought that moving from 512 to 1 gig wouldn't do that much in xp, except in games, but was wrong Rolling Eyes .
TheGeek
well...graphics card would be my pick simply because an X300 wont hold out for long and PC4300 is pretty good even though its only 512, since it is such a high speed RAM its gunna make a difference but you wont notice it as much as you would if you were say...me and had PC2700, but 1GB of RAM wouldnt hurt, just make sure that you get more of that PC4300 so your other stick isnt held back any. But if your going for graphics cards, get away from ATI, first off their stocks arent looking to good, so theyre on the way down and secondly, Nvidia right now is on the bleeding edge of graphics technology, ATI needs to catch up a little bit before i support them again.
varun_dodla
If Vista is the reason you are goin for an upgrade then i would definitely suggest you to go for a RAM upgrade coz a minimun of 1GB of it should get Vista running fine and as for the graphics 128MB should be fine for a commendable look using Vista.

The more RAM the better your system feels.
angelussum
Ram. Moving above 512MB makes a surprisingly huge difference in speed.

Of course, you could always just bump it up to 1GB and then save the rest for a video card upgrade...
Psynthax
If you are upgradeing RAM to be "Vista ready" , considare upgrading to atlast 2 GB RAM if possible, becouse 2 GB RAM memory will be requred for Vista. It is not minimum to run Vista, minimum would be 1 GB RAM memory, its just if you would like better user expiriance you should considare 2 GB.

About graphics card, for Vista it is recommended to have DX10 GFX card, but there are non of those on the market yet.
Alltho there is the list on the official ATI website wich of the current GFX cards will work on Vista, so maybe that list will help you decide to buy more RAM or GFX Card.
william
RAM. You'll benefit more from RAM as compared to a graphics card. Adding 1 GB will significantly cahnge your speed. I once upgraded both RAM and the graphics card. I noticed a slight difference with the graphics card but a HUGE difference with more RAM. A 128 MB graphics card is OK for Vista, but 1 GB of RAM is what you need.
springbok
Where are the days when 32MB ram and a 4MB graphics card was enough?!?!? Crying or Very sad

Anyways I would recommend upgrading RAM. I have an ATI 9600PRO 256MB and used it with 512MB ram. I upgraded my RAM and immediately noticed a difference both in speed and, suprisingly, graphics in most games, e.g. Oblivion.
hrtorrent
Buy RAM. This graphic gard you have must be enough for most games today.
Wink
eternalwarriors
i would say you have to buy ram...

it's the most impotant zhing (of these two things)

mfg
ocalhoun
Fire up your system monitor to measure how much RAM you're using while putting the computer through it's most challenging tasks. If you're not using more than half of it at least, then upgrade your graphics.
sush
Another 512 megs of RAM. Make sure the latencies match (I had to get em replaced cuz they wouldnt work in dual channel becauseof different latencies). Anyway, huge boost. AndI'm talking abut PC3200 here, you should get a much bigger boost with your DDR2.
euxapi
I think I would definitely go for the ram. If you wanted to run games, I would say both (even though you said you can only do one), but if you just want to run Vista, your grfx card is more than enough powerful. Ram will totally increase your system's speed. Also, Vista will totally gobble up your memory. It's better to get atleast 1.5 GB, if not 2 GB of memory for Vista. I'm personally going to build a system when it comes out, and I am getting 4 GB.
thuganomics
Video card upgrades are ony needed if you cant play games, but seeing that you want to upgrade just to use Vista, all you need is 1gb of ram =\
win66
willdev wrote:
Hello,
I need to upgrade my RAM and Grahpics card but om short on money so can only have one upgrade Sad.

I have 512mb PC4300 and a ATI X300 128mb Sad, what should i upgrade? I would upgrade to 1.5GB of RAM or upgrade to a better graphics card (dont know which yet) the Graphics card would be 256mb.

Cheers for reading.

I think u should buy another 512MB ram ,it is best for your system. Smile
FerSx
yep go with the RAM...
it will speed up all your PC experience no only the games.

And remember that the games use the processor and memory for video too so you will experience a better game play and lower FPS.