FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are You a DOWNLOAD JUNKY

Are You a DOWNLOAD JUNKY
yah
69%
 69%  [ 36 ]
Nope
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
I don't wanna tell you
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 52

hellrahul
DownLoad junky means the person who just stick to internet and download whatever he found. Update of any software, trial softwares and whatever he founds(Which is not even usefull for him/her).

i am a download junky and i download most of the trial softwares and its updates whenever it is launched.I love downloading from web sites.

I have a separate hard disk (80 gb) for the downloaded data.
Almost 4-5 Gb is filled and still growing.
Scorpio
I have around 45-60 gb of downloaded stuff over the past few months

and I back it all up frequently

You can call me a backup junkie too Laughing
hellrahul
Wow that's gooooooooood. Very Happy

Do u keep backup of older version tooo.
Or u delete the older files with the arrival of newer version. Cool
FerSx
Hoes isn’t in these days…

hmm well I have a 200gigs HD for internet downloaded stuff and already thinking of getting a bigger disk, this one already full.

Those any one knows a good shrink? I think in starting to need help Wink
Scorpio
hellrahul wrote:
Wow that's gooooooooood. Very Happy

Do u keep backup of older version tooo.
Or u delete the older files with the arrival of newer version. Cool

I back it up in cds and dvds, so i cant delete them anyway.

I keep all the versions
Synaesthetik
I'm a music download junkie.... is that a bad thing?
Scorpio
Synaesthetik wrote:

Not at all, as long is as it is not illegal
hellrahul
scorpio wrote:
Synaesthetik wrote:

Not at all, as long is as it is not illegal

I agree. Also you should not download e-books,softwares and other stuff illegally.
ITS A CRIME
SNES350
I will only get free software, or shareware with no time limit for most programs. I refuse to use shareware that is time limited, since nearly all the time it isn't worth it. I have downloaded unlicensed music, not much recently though.
mantasx
I really download everything in my way. I have 3 hard drives. One is for windows, other is for important stuff like family photos, essays, and then I also have 200 GB hard drive for Junk stuff. Over and year or so it is now 80% full of cracks, serials, programs, hacker tools (don't know why Laughing ), photoshop brushes, a nice collection of 500 quality fonts (all are downloaded seperatly so all are nice-only), and ofcourse--- trials and demos!
So yah I do have a lot of junk Rolling Eyes
ohh yah, and out all of those I have about 10 GB of music Cool
jeffsolodky
You can't seriously believe that people who are considered "Download Junkies" only download legal files. I mean, 40% of internet traffic is from Bittorent alone (don't quote me on that, I could be wrong, but I believe that is the true number).
quartnee
I'd have to say I'm a download junkie. Mostly for designing software like Photoshop or Photoplus. I also download games, like the one's from yahoo. Music too, probably most of my downloading would be music.
Deviatorz
Yup I definately am. I have filled my computer up with 110GBs already. I got to delete some useless stuff I don't look at anymore lol. Confused
Hogwarts
Yes. I probably am... Though alot of stuff I just download for the heck of it. I'm on a 40gig per month plan with ADSL2+ ([url]adsl2.adam.com.au[/url]) and download at 1.5 megabyte per second. Right now I'm downloading a trial for photoshop (I want to see what ya'll are raving about)(I use fireworks... They had it at school so I bought it + flash).
alexjbarrett
I don't download too much. Only the updates really and most of these are OS updates from Apple. They seem to come out every couple of months for one reason or another.

The only other downloads I do are a few updates for iLife programmes, any updates to mySQL and PHP and the odd download from iTunes. I still buy most of my music from music shops on CD.

Never been tempted to do the peer to peer stuff. There isn't anything I want from there.
dz9c
mantasx wrote:
I really download everything in my way. I have 3 hard drives. One is for windows, other is for important stuff like family photos, essays, and then I also have 200 GB hard drive for Junk stuff. Over and year or so it is now 80% full of cracks, serials, programs, hacker tools (don't know why Laughing ), photoshop brushes, a nice collection of 500 quality fonts (all are downloaded seperatly so all are nice-only), and ofcourse--- trials and demos!

NOT cool. Your one of those people who steal everything they can get on the internet...Your one of those people who put companies out of business. Shame on you. Evil or Very Mad
hodgenpodg
haha am i a download junky?...yes i am...im a big time download junky...most of what i have on my computer has been downloaded...im in college so whatever i can get for free i do
Scorpio
dz9c wrote:
mantasx wrote:

NOT cool. Your one of those people who steal everything they can get on the internet...Your one of those people who put companies out of business. Shame on you. Evil or Very Mad

But the fact is that everybody cant afford all these things.

You can perhaps, but not all.

Photoshop costs 600$ and Flash 8 costs 700$, do you think anybone other than a training center or a rich guy can buy these sort of stuff?

Even then, the people in countries who are far less fortunate than you, do they not have rights to these things?

How can they pay, if all the money is capitalised in one place and they have nothing?

Those companies are not going to go out of business at all, they are robbing us blind with the explanation that it cost them millions to make..
and you believe it./

There is nothing wrong in this, in my opinion, as long as the person who downloads it, does so for personal purposes and does not sell it commercially after downloading from the net
hellrahul
Ya I agree,

In most of the countries there are no rule against software piracy.
Even you can find MAYA FLASH or any other Heavy Softwares at the cost of a CD only. With a crack folder to Make the software a full version.

Quote:
I think Price must be lowered for the software.
shwetanshu
I love downloading... i only get 8 hrs of free downloads so i make the most of it... but cant tell here wat i download
thuggy-rec
shwetanshu wrote:
I love downloading... i only get 8 hrs of free downloads so i make the most of it... but cant tell here wat i download

Very Happy
to much information Razz
orlandu63
I can fill up an 80 gb hd in a week max. I love my 30mbps connection Very Happy
hiiers
I love downloading wordpress themes. & I don't even unzip the .zip file. I end up deleteing it.
ryanh2006
I started out in this thread with the belief that I was a junkie but now I ain't so sure Very Happy I pale in comparison to you guys!! 200+ GBs ?!! Shocked My eMac has a measley 40GB HD!!!
andrea
my brother downloads a lot

I don´t need to download movies and stuff
Scorpio
shwetanshu wrote:

Of course you cant Wink

We all know, dont we/??
hetarvid
Of course I'm a download junky!
I got my 80gb hdd filled with thing alls the time so I need to delete or burn out some items in order to get more space.
I agree to the earlier scribent, I am a poor student and I cant afford to buy all the luxurus softwares like Photoshop, Windows XP, Macromedia suite, office and more! Smile
BlacKRoSeS
I download most of my music, but never games. I once downloaded a movie, but i don't have the patience to keep it up and wait that long. I always buy my games, even thought they're mostly expensive, but still. I'm not really a junky, but i'm glad downloading excists Razz or else i wouldn't have much music at all, cus most of the music i like is not available in stores...
time_ar
I used to be a download junky. Now I am more a gamer:)
egperdue
mantasx wrote:

I'm the same way, I test it and if it works I keep it if not, its gone.
fionab
Since starting digital scrapbooking I have become a real download junky. In our county we have a capped download limit which in a way prevents me from going overboard Wink
jasmine
I'm not really a download junkie.

But once I got the urge to look for something, like a song or video, I would search the net for HOURS until I find it...

But most of the stuff I download nowadays are just MP3s. So I guess the download time is tolerable for me compared to heavy programs that reach up 50+ MB of file size.

Just to let you know, the download is so slow at my connection at home so sometimes downloading files from the net really tests my patience.
lors
I am a complete download junkie, I am always looking for new stuff to try.
Zug Zug
no I'm not a downloading junkie. I think it's wrong lol, but my friends do it all the time.
GProject
Oh yeah, I'm a d/load junkie for sure! I had to buy a 250GB hard drive for all my stuff - and I'm burning DVDs all the time too. A lot of the stuff I download I delete now, as it's all 'disposal' media (movie trailers and stuff you don't need to keep). You gotta get the most out of your internet connect though!
OpposableThumbs
I am a download junkie. I'm staring at seven external hard drives, with a combined capacity of well over a terabyte, filled with music, films, t.v. shows, software, etc. I wish I could do this for a living.
Dean_The_Great
I think between music, software and videos, I am a serious download junkie. I love random things like mouse macro programs and other random stuff that as a personal user I don't really have the use for...

But I would say my computer is downloading 90% of the time I'm on it.
marillionuk
Downloading has its up and downs in that:

1> You need to buy additional/larger HDD's to store the stuff on.
2> If it's software, you generally remove it after finding out it's rubbish.
3> Time taken to go through (once per month?) is usually hard to find.

I have about 2.5 terrabytes of HDD-space and over 50% is from downloads but I generally have to reinstall Vista to make sure all the leftover drivers are deleted and the registry is clean. Then remember to remove the crappy software from backup.

Guess I'm a Binary Magpie...
Tadtoad
I have a roommate who is a download junkie! Torrents, p2p, anything on the internet you name it. Even if it isn't useful to him. It really pisses me off especially because it causes extreme lag when I'm gaming online.
driftingfe3s
I am always downloading something. I feel that if I'm not downloading anything, I'm wasting my internet connection. I have 2 external hard drives totaling over 500 GB of stuff that I've downloaded plust a stacks of DVDs and CDs of data that I've burned to make space on those hard drives. I've aslo just bout a new computer that came with a 750 GB hard drive, so now I have more room to keep all my stuff!
Fatality
I don't think I am a download "junky", but I do download a lot of different things. It seems like I am always downloading something, so maybe I am addicted to it.
jwellsy
I have http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ as a browser tab.
That makes me a download junky by definition.
soljarag
I'm a total download junky.... every day I download about 4 GB of "stuff" My total harddrive space (including all my computers and externals) is around 1.6 TB

I just cant stop downloading!
torboxz
I had 160G and it's full of anime (unlicensed). Gonna get a new hard disk soon coz most of the collection is still ongoing. I dont back up any of it to dvd/cd. I have a bad experience, a scratch will render the cd/dvd useless. I lost many of my old unlicensed anime and when I try to redownload, guess what, it's now licensed. Damn!
Crinoid
Laughing Now I understand, why our "unlimited" internet provider installed download meters on the cable at the entry to each involved house and after certain amount of transferred GB (quite large threshold, never reached even with games download) additional payment is required Laughing
Idoru
Seriouslly, is a computer without an Internet-connection really concidered a computer? Very Happy
We download quite a bit. There are almost always free versions out there, similar to the stuff
you got to pay for. With that I don't want to say I'm an angel, but that's all I'll say.
A concept I havent seen much of, but just looove the idea around, is "care-ware". Found it when I
started building in HTML, an editor called arachnophilia. Quite a funny guy behind it. =)

So, straight out - dl-junkie, ofcourse Surprised)
mgeek
I spend a lot of time at Giveawayoftheday and Freedownloadaday. With Giveawayoftheday, I was able to get commercial software for free. And they are good too!
Kelvin
i'm not much of a download junkie unless i'm too free and have nothing better to do. But i do know of people who leaves the computer 24/7 running just to download anything and everything. They can download a whole series or episode for a movie or animation etc. haha.. then transfer them to DVD's and download more. Poor computer.... Razz
Keran
This is ridiculous, a download junky? Downloading anything You get Your hands on? That's simply yet another stupid way to use the internet and a sign, that You need to find a hobby. There's so much to do on the internet, but I would have never guessed that some people spend their time trying to find things to download... jeez...

I download only stuff that I need, I don't find pleasure in clicking the "Download" button... Did I mention it's really stupid? ...
dmystic
i only download things i think are usefull.... some days it means im fulltime downloading, does that mean im a download junky?
Chinmoy
i downloaded the solaris os dvd..big huge thingy. 3 GB+, next I downloaded the ubuntu DVD, another 3 GB+
deanhills
dmystic wrote:
i only download things i think are usefull.... some days it means im fulltime downloading, does that mean im a download junky?

This is a good description for me as well. I am always looking out for tools how to do things better, and especially for Free Software. For example, at one stage there was a software that you could use so that you would not be limited with the DVD Regions (it did an override of the Region parts of the DVD software) and that worked well, but when I wanted to purchase it, as it was a try-out software package, it would not allow me to do that. But any of these how-to software packages I like to download, and use it at the same time. GIMP for example is fantastic and came into my life as my Adobe Light of many many years would not work with the settings at work, and I needed a software package with Adobe attributes. GIMP in the end proved to be an improvement over my Adobe Light Version. Am truly grateful to those guys for giving us something as fabulous as GIMP for Freeware.
Insanity
With the advent of the internet, there's no reason to buy hard copies of anything anymore, pretty much. Everything you can download online, and it saves money and the environment with none of that heavy packaging. I mean, do you really need a huge box just to package one CD? Come on now.
TomGrey
First, Intellectual Monopoly should be abolished, and if the 'public' wants to support more software, or entertainment, it should do so in other ways.
Theft is zero-sum: if you steal my car, you have it, but I lose it.
Copying is positive sum: if you copy my car.avi file (Disney movie compressed), you have it AND I have it. The 'wealth' of the world increased.

Yes, business models based on gov't protecting intellectual monopolies would have to change, but that's OK.

I used to be a big gamer, now I'm often downloading movies. Then I burn them on DVD, and delete them. And if the DVD goes bad, I download again.

I probably should be watching Naruto, animae, instead of writing here...
Have fun.
mimic
Hell yea! I download everything even though i don't really need it. I don't know why- i thinks it's because i can get them for free is the cool part about it. =]

Sometimes when im on the computer at home i just sit there for a while think "What do i need to download" even though i don't need to download anything.

I'm definitely a download junkie!