FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ruby on Rails

adhoc
Earlier, noobie has said that nothing new will be installed unless it is needed. What do you consider a need? You have a few people who have asked about it, and, seeing as RoR is highly regarded, yet fairly new and hosting hard to come by, you have a chance to capture a lot of users. Installing it is trivial - I even have it all running smoothly on my iBook, and it's not some big hog. What do you think?
wumingsden
adhoc wrote:
Earlier, noobie has said that nothing new will be installed unless it is needed. What do you consider a need? You have a few people who have asked about it, and, seeing as RoR is highly regarded, yet fairly new and hosting hard to come by, you have a chance to capture a lot of users. Installing it is trivial - I even have it all running smoothly on my iBook, and it's not some big hog. What do you think?

Ruby on Rails is not the easiest to install on the Servers so nothing can be promised. However, before your request we have been trying to install it on Server 2 so you may be in luck if all goes well.

Quote:
noobie has said that nothing new will be installed unless it is needed

It autopens. If it is needed then it will be installed, obviously. However, RoR is something that Bondings wants to be installed, (so again you are in luck). The main reason is one that you give above, only a few free webhosts offer Ruby on Rails so it will certainly give us a bit of a boost.
There are no current plans to install RoR on Server 1.

P.S - Forgot to add it earlier but I really like your username
Marston
wumingsden wrote:
The main reason is one that you give above, only a few free webhosts offer Ruby on Rails so it will certainly give us a bit of a boost.
Actually, it will probably give you guys a big boost. Ruby on Rails is fairly new technology, and there will be alot of people searching for "free ruby on rails host". Wink

Get my drift?
Blaster
Yea i agree with Marston. If you where to do this you could get more people. It seems like something good. But i really dont' know. If it is new technology then you could find it setting the server back and stuff.
Marston
Marston*
adhoc
wumingsden wrote:
adhoc wrote:

Ruby on Rails is not the easiest to install on the Servers so nothing can be promised. However, before your request we have been trying to install it on Server 2 so you may be in luck if all goes well.

Quote:
noobie has said that nothing new will be installed unless it is needed

It autopens. If it is needed then it will be installed, obviously. However, RoR is something that Bondings wants to be installed, (so again you are in luck). The main reason is one that you give above, only a few free webhosts offer Ruby on Rails so it will certainly give us a bit of a boost.
There are no current plans to install RoR on Server 1.

P.S - Forgot to add it earlier but I really like your username

So you're trying? That sounds great. Considering that I don't know your configuration, I don't know if I'm able to help, but I'll offer any assistance if you need it.

I like your username too, wumingsden.
wumingsden
We have all the knowledge that is needed. Bondings is probably the person with the most knowledge, I know hardly anything about servers although I'm learning pretty fast.

I greatly dislike my username, however, like other members I probably won't be able to change it Sad
orno
add another RoR supporter to the list

although the fact that it probably wont get to server1 for a long time sux Sad
adhoc
wumingsden wrote:
We have all the knowledge that is needed. Bondings is probably the person with the most knowledge, I know hardly anything about servers although I'm learning pretty fast.

I greatly dislike my username, however, like other members I probably won't be able to change it Sad

Okay, I can hardly wait to request an account on the machine that gets it. Do you know if there'll be SSH/SFTP?

Now, now.. it's a great name, there's nothing to dislike about it.
billybob
adhoc wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Okay, I can hardly wait to request an account on the machine that gets it. Do you know if there'll be SSH/SFTP?

you don't get to choose (as far as i know) but luckly for you I beleve that they are putting all new users on server 2 Very Happy
wumingsden
adhoc wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Currently is only only being tested on Server 2. Server 2 is the newest server and the only one that is accepting new hosting accounts. Right now there are no plans to install RoR on Server 1.

Secure File Transfer Protocol/Secure Shell will probably never be available on FriHost. This is because it costs a lot of money and FriHost is a free service, therefore cannot afford it.
adhoc
wumingsden wrote:
Secure File Transfer Protocol/Secure Shell will probably never be available on FriHost. This is because it costs a lot of money and FriHost is a free service, therefore cannot afford it.

I thought OpenSSH came preinstalled and free on any unix system? You know, sshd and windows putty and all that. Maybe you thought I meant HTTPS?

Or do you guys use Windows servers? I don't know what the situation is on that front.. I think OpenSSH runs through Cygwin and does so well, but I don't know anything about speed.
adhoc
billybob wrote:
you don't get to choose (as far as i know) but luckly for you I beleve that they are putting all new users on server 2 Very Happy

I'm a lucky guy Wink
wumingsden
adhoc wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

I thought OpenSSH came preinstalled and free on any unix system? You know, sshd and windows putty and all that. Maybe you thought I meant HTTPS?

Or do you guys use Windows servers? I don't know what the situation is on that front.. I think OpenSSH runs through Cygwin and does so well, but I don't know anything about speed.

Sorry Embarassed Like i mentioned above I'm new to this server business.

after speaking to bondings I can definitly say that SSH/SFTP will not be available due to the fact that "its not secure for the server", - also also know a little bit more about how servers work too Very Happy
adhoc
wumingsden wrote:
Sorry Embarassed Like i mentioned above I'm new to this server business.

Don't worry. Smile

wumingsden wrote:
after speaking to bondings I can definitly say that SSH/SFTP will not be available due to the fact that "its not secure for the server", - also also know a little bit more about how servers work too Very Happy

Oh, hm, that's interesting.. Oh well.
Bondings
adhoc, there is a difference between a paid hosting company that has your complete data like address, phone number and real name (some even ask for a scan/copy of your id) and we providing free hosting to a lot of people we hardly know.

Providing ssh access makes it much easier for users to abuse our services.
adhoc
Bondings wrote:
adhoc, there is a difference between a paid hosting company that has your complete data like address, phone number and real name (some even ask for a scan/copy of your id) and we providing free hosting to a lot of people we hardly know.

Providing ssh access makes it much easier for users to abuse our services.

I suppose that's true. One could install and run a lot of stuff through ssh..
eznet
So has there been progress with the RoR mission or is this thread abandoned/relocated? I am new to the who Ruby thing but it seems to have a low entry curve... I hope to learn more..
SerendipityRose
I really know nothing about RoR except that my son, who is going to make my website for me, said he wanted me to get a different host because he wants to use RoR. So . . . please do this! I think I like it here and want to stay!
rein
Hey mod's,

Thought i'd clean the dust off of this thread.
Whatever happend to the plans of installing Ruby on Rails on one of the servers?
The RoR hype is growing and growing and Frihost could realy make a difference by offering developers a playground for their RoR projects.
wumingsden
rein wrote:
Hey mod's,

Thought i'd clean the dust off of this thread.
Whatever happend to the plans of installing Ruby on Rails on one of the servers?
The RoR hype is growing and growing and Frihost could realy make a difference by offering developers a playground for their RoR projects.

Completely forgot the URL as to where it's installed, so cannot check it. I will ask Bondings about it. I expect that it hasn't gone anywhere further though, seen as he seems rather busy and it's not on the "important list".
eznet
wumingsden wrote:
... he seems rather busy and it's not on the "important list".

Fully understand that... Beggers can't be choosers, right? If someone really wants to play around with RoR it can easily be done on your local machine anyways - just no posting on your FriHost account Smile
garionw
eznet wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Fully understand that... Beggers can't be choosers, right? If someone really wants to play around with RoR it can easily be done on your local machine anyways - just no posting on your FriHost account Smile

This thread has been revived three times
wumingsden
garionw wrote:
eznet wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

This thread has been revived three times

We are aware of this, and hopefully in future it can carry on being revived rather than brand new threads opening on the subject ...

I remembered where the ruby on rails installation was at after much brain-wrecking ... It seems that a successful installation has still not occured. Bondings is really busy ... I haven't spoken to him properly in about 3-4 months, and not at all the last 2months. I will inquire about this in the private forums.
garionw
wumingsden wrote:
We are aware of this, and hopefully in future it can carry on being revived rather than brand new threads opening on the subject ...

I remembered where the ruby on rails installation was at after much brain-wrecking ... It seems that a successful installation has still not occured. Bondings is really busy ... I haven't spoken to him properly in about 3-4 months, and not at all the last 2months. I will inquire about this in the private forums.

Good point, never thought of that Embarassed
wumingsden
I have asked Bondings about the status of RoR being installed ...

As I stated earlier in the thread, there are errors concerning the installation process of Ruby on Rails which he hasn't been able to fix yet (because he hasn't spent much time on it). He says he will fix this in the future so RoR will be installed, but '"would rather like to code a few things for these forums which I would really like to see finished first"
Marston
RoR is going to be sweet.
kiranaghor
Plz provide RoR. It is an exciting technology. Everyone would aprreciate if u go ahead and install it.