FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two-Thirds of young Americans are geographically inept

goutha
After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.

The study found that less than six months after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, 33 percent could not point out Louisiana on a U.S. map.

Time to wake up!!!!!!
Donutey
goutha wrote:
After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.

The study found that less than six months after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, 33 percent could not point out Louisiana on a U.S. map.

Time to wake up!!!!!!

Geography/International Relations classes aren't required on any level in US high schools to my knowledge. It's to be expected that they don't know these things, although I hope my generation knows better Rolling Eyes .
myrevolt
At least at my location, world geography is required for all freshmen. International relations, is optional: Model United Nations. though the biggest lesson I learned was how to bullshit.
Vrythramax
now that is sad...when I was in school they at least taught me how to find something on a map/globe...I slept through the rest d'oh!
Greeny
goutha wrote:

Time to wake up!!!!!!

lmfao now that some funny stuff. that should be in the jokes section if there is one Very Happy
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
now that is sad...when I was in school they at least taught me how to find something on a map/globe...I slept through the rest d'oh!

I guess you listened in class to end up in a great company like you are now.

Quote:
lmfao now that some funny stuff. that should be in the jokes section if there is one

Actually there is one.
I dont think you noticed it though you have posted 50 times

I think this must rather be in the world news section
Code of Ruin
Two third of the young Americans geographically inept. Now why does that not surprise me? Loads of people can't even point out on a map where they're going to spend their holidays or where they live even. And this problem isn't exactly exclusive to Americans. Many Europeans have exactly the same problem though I wouldn't know exact numbers for Europe. Time to wake up indeed. And make sure we aren't a retarded bunch of morons in 20 generations from now.
Sappho
I am not surprised since last time Bush was on a visit in my country i saw some news on CNN where they were showing some other country instead nowhere near mine. I was like ROFL how dumb they must be when even their major TV like CNN can't find a correct position of a country on a map. Smile

PS: This is my first post since like 2 months YAY. I was in Paris, but now i am back and rolling Wink
Vrythramax
totally off topic...

Welcome back Sappho!
Jayfarer
It's always fun to find out what people can't point out on a map. The fact that there are Americans that can't find America on the map is ridiculous (And they exist, they just aren't very common)
S3nd K3ys
What does "inept" mean? Shocked
a.Bird
goutha wrote:

Time to wake up!!!!!!

Are you speaking to our government or the 18-24 year old Americans? I would write a letter to your local congressmen if you're speaking to the government. If you're trying to tell young Americans that they need to wake up, I hardly think they are going to take the time out of their lives to teach themselves a semester's worth of material between the classes they already have that they need to get a good career and the shitty ass jobs they're working right now to pay for school. If these people aren't in college, they're probably working fulltime and still trying to deal with the bills. Americans are rushed through life and if anything is left out or missed, it's almost impossible to go back and get it.
jostor
Yeah, it's really sad, don't they teach geography in school? I could point out every single state, and practically any country on a map when I was 12, although i was interested in geography.
But you are really right, time to wake up! Smile
Jeslyn
That's amazing.
Out of the 1/3 of those who can find Iraq, all of them appear to be in this thread.
What are the chances...?
goutha
Code of Ruin wrote:
Two third of the young Americans geographically inept. Now why does that not surprise me? Loads of people can't even point out on a map where they're going to spend their holidays or where they live even. And this problem isn't exactly exclusive to Americans. Many Europeans have exactly the same problem though I wouldn't know exact numbers for Europe. Time to wake up indeed. And make sure we aren't a retarded bunch of morons in 20 generations from now.

I'm not ok with you about Europeans... If you can give us some statistics... your comment will be more relevant.

At the same time... Europe very large, composed by several countries really different from each other. Then, I don't think that you can talk in a general way about Europe... Instead, you can maybe point out some european countries. In all cases, this is not an excuse for americans to be geographically inept!!!
Lied
It is not 1/3 come on. Imagine that they did not had taken action for oil against it in 1990 and now.The presentage would be around 90% if not more.
Sappho
Vrythramax wrote:
totally off topic...

Welcome back Sappho!

Thanks Wink
CrookedBlaze
My AP History teacher didn't know where Idaho was.

I think it's sad. The cirriculum in (American) High Schools these days sucks.

The California High School Exit Exam is at a 5 th grade level. And even at that, 50 % of students don't pass. (This takes place Sophmore Year)
Donutey
I think a lot of it is that most schools have such low requirements for graduation that a lot of students just choose the easy way out.

At my school you could have graduated almost a year early...

If I remember right, you could/can take three levels of math, the acclerated course, which started in 7th and 8th grade (which i took wooo... Rolling Eyes ), then the normal course load, then the course that ended with taking algebra.
Jeslyn
If anything, it's due to American high schools not focusing on geography.

The curriculum more or less says geography is not important. Some schools offer the class, but students are given a choice to or not to take it.

I know I never once took a geography class in high school or any other level school. Yes, it's common sense that you should be able to locate a country as well known as Iraq, but you can't exactly test someone on something they've never been given the opportunity to learn.

If you were to ask the same amount of people a basic algebra question, a class that most if not all high schools require - and the same amount are still unable to answer, then you have something to go on.
cfackler
It is really sad that young people lack that much geographical knowledge. I'm a senior in high school and don't have an excellent knowledge of geography, but I can at least find Iraq and Louisianna.
the_mariska
Sappho wrote:
I am not surprised since last time Bush was on a visit in my country i saw some news on CNN where they were showing some other country instead nowhere near mine. I was like ROFL how dumb they must be when even their major TV like CNN can't find a correct position of a country on a map. Smile

Slovakia? It's just in the right-bottom corner of the Polish map. Wink BTW, this doesn't surprise me. Kelly didn't even know that Poland is one of the US allies (well, I'm not happy because of it, but he could have remembered). Thanks God that he didn't try to search for Poland on a map. Very Happy

Quote:
I know I never once took a geography class in high school or any other level school. Yes, it's common sense that you should be able to locate a country as well known as Iraq, but you can't exactly test someone on something they've never been given the opportunity to learn.

Well, and don't you feel like there's something wrong with your curriculum? I guess this is one of those abilities that should be taught at school, as they won't be anywhere else, don't you think?

My geography teacher said once: "Do you know why Polish educational system is better than the one in Kongo? Because most of Poles can locate Kongo on a map, and citizens of Kongo don't even know that Poland exist". Well, I didn't agree with her at first, but this has a grain of truth. Unfortunately, our schools now are preparing kids for the exams, not for the real life. In a few years' time, we'll reach the same level as american schools. Confused
Jeslyn
Schools are teaching what they believe will help you in the real world (to an extent...) and for what will best prepare students to take the ACTs and SATs. and state standardized tests. Geography, as far as I know, is not on any of these tests. Few colleges care whether you can locate Guam, as long as you can solve a basic statistics problem and know your vocabulary.

Secondly, the validity of this 'survey' should also be question. I could easily walk up to three people, two of them from the uneducated slums, and one of them in an ivy league college and ask them to point out Iraq. The two who couldn't, I lable as my 2/3rds. Surveys can be easily manipulated. Big fun.
sistahgeek
It's not just young people, unfortunately. Just watch the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He likes to do the "Jaywalking" segments where he goes out and asks random people on the street where certain places are or asks them questions about things that should be common knowlege. All the questions are multiple choice, usually, and people STILL get them wrong.

When he comes back into the studio, he makes fun of them really badly. You can tell he just wants to call them all stupid morons, but he has to be more diplomatic than that, LOL. It's quite embarrassing when a foreign visitor knows the answers that Americans don't know -- and the question is ABOUT America. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Sad

When I was in elementary school, we learned where countries were located on the map, their capitals, and their major imports/exports - and we had little projects we had to do on them, PLUS tests. We also learned about longitude and latitude (Ugh! I hated that) and how to locate a place just using longitude and latitude (and a globe or map). I don't know WHAT the kids are learning today.

It's really sad the way things have turned around. That's why it's so important for children to have parents who take an active part in their education.
Indyan
Donutey wrote:
goutha wrote:

Time to wake up!!!!!!

Geography/International Relations classes aren't required on any level in US high schools to my knowledge. It's to be expected that they don't know these things, although I hope my generation knows better Rolling Eyes .

And here in India in standard VII (i.e. age 12 ) we had to study about north america - US and Canada And Europe : France, UK and Mediterranean countries Shocked !
And geography and history is compulsory for standard X board exams.
Liu
Please tell me how me knowing where other countries are is going to help me in the things I do. Especially when I'm not in international relations/exports.

It's pretty much just trivia information to me.
goutha
Liu wrote:
Please tell me how me knowing where other countries are is going to help me in the things I do. Especially when I'm not in international relations/exports.

It's pretty much just trivia information to me.

You comment is funny... and by its self, it does explain the whole results of the survey Shocked

Well... it's a personal choice... while india is becoming a stronger country... the US is showing signs of recession... I'm not going to tell you why... I hope that you'll understand. Rolling Eyes
Jazar
Its just stuff you need to know :S

My history teacher told us a funny story. Americans may know about it already but I didn't knew it:
Apparently Clinton had someone he wanted for the function of , I don't know the official name, but like "vice-minister" of foreign/external affairs, and proposed him but ofcourse the senate had to approve him.
Our teacher told that most times this proces went very easy with some questions and the first questions went well. One member of the senate however was in a "corny" mood and asked the guy if he could point where Russia was on a map....and the candidate for "vice-minister" of foreign/external affairs didn't even knew it! They asked a few more countries and he didn't knew it!

Well, I think that's pretty weird :S

(sorry for the crappy English, I didn't really knew how to describe it xD)
Liu
Jazar wrote:
Its just stuff you need to know :S

This is a great reason.

No one has given me a good reason why, outside of trivia knowledge if i'm not dealing with international relations.

Quote:

Well... it's a personal choice... while india is becoming a stronger country... the US is showing signs of recession... I'm not going to tell you why... I hope that you'll understand.

Because you know, knowing where all the countries are makes India a stronger country. Rolling Eyes
goutha
Liu wrote:

Because you know, knowing where all the countries are makes India a stronger country. Rolling Eyes

If I were you, I'll change the location in my description... I'm not sure that I want to go to the university that accepted you Rolling Eyes

Just a joke. It's your choice and I respect it.

I think that the more people are cultivated, the more the country will perform.
Mithrandir
I don't think that this is isolated to the United States but is instead part of a world wide epidemic of poor geographical education. In a world where anywhere is just a click or plane flight away, many of the younger generation never need to learn these things and the are allowed to get by without having to learn it.
Dark_Jedi06
I have two years left of my public school experience here in America, and the only geography I've been forced to learn is the 50 states...and that was sometime in third or fourth grade. Rolling Eyes

So yeah, we barely are taught any geography about our own nation, never mind the world. Thankfully I teach myself everything my school neglects to. Wink
Liu
goutha wrote:

If I were you, I'll change the location in my description... I'm not sure that I want to go to the university that accepted you Rolling Eyes

The main reason why I listed my Uni is that i'm proud studying at the same institution that nobel prize laureates are teaching and working at. I have to represent my pride for one of the top schools in the US some how. Wink

Quote:

I think that the more people are cultivated, the more the country will perform.

I definitely agree. However, I also believe that a nation will prosper much more when individuals have a focus in a field -- this isn't something new, hence why we have majors in college. I'd rather spend time focusing how I can better my particular focus of study, than spending time staring at a map memorizing the location of each country.

I don't know how knowing the location of Uganda is going to help me. If I need to know, i'll look it up when the time comes.
euxapi
Jeslyn wrote:
Schools are teaching what they believe will help you in the real world (to an extent...) and for what will best prepare students to take the ACTs and SATs. and state standardized tests. Geography, as far as I know, is not on any of these tests. Few colleges care whether you can locate Guam, as long as you can solve a basic statistics problem and know your vocabulary.

Secondly, the validity of this 'survey' should also be question. I could easily walk up to three people, two of them from the uneducated slums, and one of them in an ivy league college and ask them to point out Iraq. The two who couldn't, I lable as my 2/3rds. Surveys can be easily manipulated. Big fun.

Sorry, but surveys are usually conducted in a statistically appropriate manner, especially when it is by an organization that conducts polls. I'm guessing they used random sampling methods (such as simple random, clustering, stratified, or a combination) that would give accurate results. The survey was also probably done in a manner so as not to introduce any confounding. The number of participants was probably fairly large, and the accuracy would be extremely high.