FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question About Free Domains

NjRocket
Hey guys, i remember a while back that .be domain names were being given out for free. It was a nice promotion from what i heard and people still have these domain names. Does anybody know if any of these promotions to give out a new domain could be in the futute. Before i buy a domain, i was wondering if i could get a free one or something. Let me know, thanks.
Xcelerate
.be domains are only doing that for a year I think, so after that, it will probably be unlikely that more free ones come into existence (unless some other country needs thinks it may work.)

Currently, I don't think there are any free ones.
NjRocket
Xcelerate wrote:
.be domains are only doing that for a year I think, so after that, it will probably be unlikely that more free ones come into existence (unless some other country needs thinks it may work.)

Currently, I don't think there are any free ones.

Alright, thats what i was thinking. People are going to lose those domain names from .be in a year? That is alright i guess, it was a free domain for a year....Well if anyone else has any info, let me know, i would appreciate it.
NjRocket
bump
speedlikecy
yahoo domain
only us2.99
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
NjRocket
speedlikecy wrote:
yahoo domain
only us2.99

I got a question about this. I see its a .com for 3 bucks thats crazy when sites like godaddy are selling it for 10 bucks. If i buy it from yahoo, do i have the rights to it in the second year if i only get a one year? Any my last question is once i buy the domain, is it pretty quick to put it on my host here at frihost?

Thanks guys
Jeslyn
NjRocket wrote:
speedlikecy wrote:
yahoo domain
only us2.99

I got a question about this. I see its a .com for 3 bucks thats crazy when sites like godaddy are selling it for 10 bucks. If i buy it from yahoo, do i have the rights to it in the second year if i only get a one year? Any my last question is once i buy the domain, is it pretty quick to put it on my host here at frihost?

Thanks guys

you should check the small print on that, a lot of sites give discounts on domains only if you purchase hosting from them.
To answer your questions: if you renew the domain in a timely manner, then you get for the second year, if not, it's up for grabs.
And as for hosting it on frihost, it depends on how long it takes your DNS to resolve, sometimes its immediate, other times its a few days
Hobbit
NjRocket wrote:
speedlikecy wrote:
yahoo domain
only us2.99

Thanks guys

I bought mine Monday like at 3:30 and it was ready at 5 the next day. In the meantime you could upload all your stuff, but when you go to your site you will see 'site under construction.' It's worth the wait.
NjRocket
Alright, so i can use the 3 dollar domain name from yahoo as the name of my site but i can still use the free hosting from frihost? I gotcha, sounds great, i think im going to get it more than likely
Vrythramax
domain names are sold for a 2 year basis, but only for the first 2 years then you can pay for them yearly. You should also make sure that YOU have dns control over the name and also are listed as the Owner/Administrative contact for the name or the host can steal it if you decide not to pay them for hosting over some conflict or they want to stop you from moving it to another host.

Your host should ONLY be listed in the DNS section and/or as the Zone contact. You, as the owner should be initially listed as the Owner, Administrative, Billing, and Tech contacts...this should be the case no matter where you get your domain from.

As far as I know the country domains are still free (i.e. .us, .ir, .uk, etc.), try searching "country domains" and you should be able to find more info. I am not sure how the above information I just gave would work with the country domains...I have never worked with them.
Scorpio
NjRocket wrote:
speedlikecy wrote:
yahoo domain
only us2.99

Thanks guys

You get the 1st year for 2.99$.

From the 2nd year, your domain will be renewed at the "then rate" meaning whatever price yahoo! has in 1 years time you have to pay that much money.

But there are no conditions for such a feature in yahoo!

Go ahead and buy one

Mine is from yahoo too

You can rely on them more than other domain resellers

Atleast thats what I do

EDIT: Wrong Forum To POst this
Mr Smith
Why not try http://www.freedomain.co.nr ?
blackheart
You can get a free, .tk redirectory domain name from:

http://www.dot.tk

They have been free for ages, and I personally don't see them discontinuing the service any time soon.
NjRocket
alright, im looking around...if anyone finds anything, let me know thanks.
NjRocket
I see that .tk domains are free as of now, but does anyone know any sites that are giving out country domain names like .us, .ru , ect. Let me know, im trying to make a decision, i am also waiting to hear back on my account being approved here.
Scorpio
www.da.ru gives you a free domain I duess
DeFwh
.tk's are free but everyone will know it is with the bar at the top.

who cares if someone cares enough to visit it they should be able to remember .frih.net
NjRocket
DeFwh wrote:

who cares if someone cares enough to visit it they should be able to remember .frih.net

true, i see your point. Once i get my hosting from frihost, applied like 3 days ago i guess, whats the easiest way to submit my site to all the search engines?
Scorpio
NjRocket wrote:
DeFwh wrote:

true, i see your point. Once i get my hosting from frihost, applied like 3 days ago i guess, whats the easiest way to submit my site to all the search engines?

Individually submit your site to the major ones and directories.

Also if your site is complete before submission, the search engine will crawl and index the whole site in one go.

this would be best

also, submit a sitemap to google

its very effective
NjRocket
Alright, once i finish my site, hopefully i can have the Fri Hosting by than and can start submitting it to the search engines. We'll see, thanks for the responses.