FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost forum policy - harsh in all the wrong places

simplyw00x
Basically what I mean is that under the banner of beating spam a load of legitimate users are getting screwed over, and for some reason only 11 of the front page of suggestions are open; the rest are locked; thus wasting space and discouraging constructive discussion. Delete bad posts, warn spammers, don't take away points for tutorials, don't lock a suggestions issue as soon as it's 'resolved'. Many aren't, and get locked anyway.
SunburnedCactus
Don't blame the policy, blame the spammers who cause it to be enforced so often. Most of the suggestions are locked because they are repeats of what has been said many times before, and others just show a blatant disregard for reading the rules on what not to suggest.
Animal
simplyw00x wrote:
Basically what I mean is that under the banner of beating spam a load of legitimate users are getting screwed over, and for some reason only 11 of the front page of suggestions are open; the rest are locked; thus wasting space and discouraging constructive discussion. Delete bad posts, warn spammers, don't take away points for tutorials, don't lock a suggestions issue as soon as it's 'resolved'. Many aren't, and get locked anyway.

While I see your point to an extent, if you look at all the locked threads in the Suggestions forum, they generally have already been suggested and turned down, or are on the "Things not to suggest" list. If we remove all the locked posts, people won't be able to find if their suggestions have been put forward before or not, nullifying our "please search before posting" policy.

In terms of the Tutorials forum, people would copy and paste massive long tutorials from websites. No matter how many warnings were sent / topics removed, it was continually abused, so the decision was made to remove points from tutorials.

Our aim is not to stop constructive discussion, but we need to keep the Frihost Forums clean. If spam starts popping up, users will think it's ok to spam for points, the whole forum will become a mess and people won't want to visit anymore. IMO, the Frihost forums are amongst the cleanest, best quality forums around and I think I speak for all the staff when I say we want to keep it that way. Frihost is a high quality service, and I believe the forums reflect that too.

However, your opinion counts too - I'll leave this thread open and see what others have to say.

Smile
babumuchhala
I personally feel quite a lot of times that the thread has been locked prematurely (and thats all across the forum) and that restricts healthy disscussion, many time. Sometime there can be better silutions that can help other ppl, say in the troubleshooting queries

And many a times we have so many threads that are just plane spam threads. And the irony is that many of them are stickies Sad
Scorpio
babumuchhala wrote:
I personally feel quite a lot of times that the thread has been locked prematurely (and thats all across the forum) and that restricts healthy disscussion, many time. Sometime there can be better silutions that can help other ppl, say in the troubleshooting queries

And many a times we have so many threads that are just plane spam threads. And the irony is that many of them are stickies Sad

You have a point there.

especially the " thank the frihost staff" is probably on top of the list of spam threads.

Every one who posts there does so only to increase his post count and frih buck count.

Most posts say this

Thank you for this great service. much appreciated.

C'mon mods, just because you are being hailed doesnt mean it is not spam.

n4l locks every post in sight because apparently "he sees no point in it"

I dont know what point he sees in this.

I guess he likes being praised(who wouldnt)

But atleast ensure equality.
n0obie4life
Look scorpio, I'd rather sticky a topic than letting a topic repeatly comes out, which may prove to be useful. We have been getting thanks here and there and we're just closing them.

Might as well just create a sticky topic for it, let it be there. Even if it get's spammy. We're just going to remove the spam, and besides, if you spam, you get a warning, you get a warning, you get banned and you don't have your hosting account.

It isn't worth spamming on Frihost.

Besides, I'm not really after those praises. Maybe Bondings is Smile, but at least give some credit to those who help out alot, and the person who created this great Free Webhosting company. Besides, I don't really notice much spam in it, some of them are quality posts.

Also to addon, reviews are important to webhosts. You can't expect to go to a webhost and go there without reviews and then sign up for it. There are normally reviews for the webhost, such as that topic you have stated.
Scorpio
There are quite a number there

As you said "you did not notice it"

Ok reviews are important.

When you notice that most of the posts repeatedly just thank you for the great service and support and your contributions to the web community

I do agree with this fact.
Bondings is doing this and we are getting benefitted.

But that is all the review you are getting.

All the other reviews are posted in the suggestions forum.

Reviews about this site means "ways to improve it"/
and that is being suggested in the suggestions forum.

In the general forum, there are not much "effective suggestions" just praise from new members.

They havent been here for even a month, so they cant give accurate reviews about its functioning.

Anyway if you are not interested in leting the suggestions grow and wish to cut me short you can do it.

I am not complaining and I cant do anything to prevent you from locking this post.

So I am stopping with that.

Confused
SunburnedCactus
The thing about the "Thank the Frihost Staff" thread is that it keeps all those comments in one place, in just the one thread. The Suggestions problem is the amount of new topics that appear on a daily basis, virtually all of which are the same old "add a new subforum" or "change the skin" or "what about a shoutbox" sort of thing.

And notice that this topic has not been closed/moved, even though it is a critique of the forum as a whole and not a suggestion.
mathiaus
I wanted to close it but other mods have left it open so I did too.

Well we've gone through all this before and on more than one occasion. Topics are left open, closed, stickied, removed for a reason. This could be for spam or many other reasons.

Suggestions
Things should only be suggested once. Multiple topics are pointless. These are locked regardless of the status of the first topic. Every (original) suggestion is considered carefuly. If the idea is just stupd it will be locked, been suggested before locked, in the 'do not suggest list' locked etc. Any legitimate suggestions which are possible are left open for open discussion. When something can't be done such as say installing ASP on the servers the topic is closed with a clear explanation. There is no need for the topic to remain open as other people posting 'I want it' is not only spam but doesnt change the answer! If something is suggested and Bondings says Ok but not now, say 6 months etc, it too should be locked. More people requesting it doesnt change its priority.These topics also have to remain in the forum so people can search for them to stop saying the same things again.

Support
Locking solved topics is the best way to help people. You can clearly see what has been solved and what hasn't. Each topic should be about its title, deviating from the original question to something is wrong and wont help people who are looking for help with that new question as there is no topic for it so just bring the same thing up again.

Topics with people saying the servers down, cant get email to work etc are usually followed by many other people saying the same thing. 1 person can bring a problem to our attention. More people spamming to try and make it more obvious doesn't help things but actually has quite the opposite effect.
NjRocket
yea, i agree with most of what you guys are saying. I want to see the threads stay open a little longer or have the mods delete the posts inside the thread that are spam. I know that it would be a lot more work than just locking the thread, but it would help the community.
n0obie4life
scorpio, there isn't supposed to be any suggestions in the General Chat forum.

That post is made for reviews, although I know that there are spam, we cannot do anything about it.
Scorpio
That cleared everything up.

Since, you, a mod cannot do anything about it, its no use of me asking you to .

Sorry for wasting your precious time Rolling Eyes
babumuchhala
mathiaus wrote:
Support
Locking solved topics is the best way to help people. You can clearly see what has been solved and what hasn't. Each topic should be about its title, deviating from the original question to something is wrong and wont help people who are looking for help with that new question as there is no topic for it so just bring the same thing up again.
Well there are time one needs further assistance to that question even though, it could be solved. Just after say having that problem solved, one can get another problem thats all related to it, because one made some mistake & blah blah.
n0obie4life
Create a new topic then Wink, we don't mind.

One reason for locking the topics is spammers, they just repeat whatever we have said to solve the problem when it's already solved. They don't really use their brains.
Scorpio
n0obie4life wrote:
Create a new topic then Wink, we don't mind.

One reason for locking the topics is spammers, they just repeat whatever we have said to solve the problem when it's already solved. They don't really use their brains.

But, we should always acknowledge the fact that whether we reply to a thread or not, a mod(like no0bie) must give an answer (even if it is totally similar to the answers before that) to ensure that it is right.

In this case , it is not spam but an Official Confirmation Statement Laughing