FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need Help

wumingsden
I would like to buy a domain via SMS
I would like to buy a .net or .com domain
I would like the domain not to reveal my indentity (sorry, I forgot the exact word)

I know that at www.dot.tk you can remove banners via SMS but you cannot buy a domain this way here.

Does anybody know of a place where you can buy a top-level domain via SMS ?

I want it to be via SMS for a number of reasons.

First, I think its safer
Second, I'm under 18 (and at most places you have to be 18+)
Third, I've don't like to buy anything online

Note that if i notice a place that has a really good deal on then I will pay via Visa Electron if they accept it, some shops don't so I don't know about online Rolling Eyes
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
I would like the domain not to reveal my indentity (sorry, I forgot the exact word)

Afraid that's not possible. All TLDs (eg, .com, .net, .co.uk etc) require that you provide full and accurate information - namely Name, Address etc. This is to stop illegal activity. You won't be able to get a domain without giving them that information. You will usually be sent (by post) an acknowledgement letter with a "pin number" style security code to verify the domain. If you don't do this, they'll probably take it away, so if you register using false details, you may lose the domain after a few months.

My best advice is to use PayPal and make sure you opt in for the "Privacy Protection" or "Address Opt-Out" to stop someone being able to get your full details from a WHOIS server. They will always be able to get your name whether you opt-out or not.

Hope this is some help to you!
wumingsden
it clears it up a little. Do you know whether its possible to buy a domain via SMS. Also don't you have to be 18+ to use PayPal ?
Scorpio
SMS? I have no idea

But you can do this.
For hiding your identity, when registering, you can choose for a private registration.

This would result in you paying a few bucks extra but you cant help it

Your details will completely hidden if somebody whois' it, all that will appear is the name of the domain registrar

This is what you get for frihost

Code:
Registration Service Provided By: NameCheap.com
Visit: http://www.namecheap.com/

Domain name: frihost.com

Registrant Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   WhoisGuard Protected (0870ad61e3754379acfd88d72984c284.protect@whoisguard.com)
   +1.6613102107
   Fax: +1.6613102107
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   Westchester, CA 90045
   US

Administrative Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   +1.6613102107
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   Westchester, CA 90045
   US

Technical Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   +1.6613102107
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
   Westchester, CA 90045
   US

Name Servers:
   ns1.frihost.net
   ns2.frihost.net

You can notice there is no name of bondings or anything else here.

If you are not above 18 why dont you try using a credit card of your friend or relative or parents or something.
You are going to do nothing illegal, and it doesnt matter if the domain and credit cards are under different people.

For hiding your ID its wise you check in a few places for the lowest prices, because some charge a bomb

hope this helps
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
it clears it up a little. Do you know whether its possible to buy a domain via SMS. Also don't you have to be 18+ to use PayPal ?

I don't think it's possible, and no - you don't have to be 18 to use PayPal.
billybob
Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

I don't think it's possible, and no - you don't have to be 18 to use PayPal.

I thourght you did, although I did have one before I was 18 (I was told after I registerd that you were supost to be 18, I dought it would of stopped me though) just check the terms it will say in there somwhere....
wumingsden
from the PayPal site, (in small writing at signup point).....

Quote:
Note: You must be over 18 to sign up for a PayPal account.

I guess I have no other option but to use my credit card, unless anybody else has any other suggestions *pleading on my hands & knees* ?
Blaster
Couldn't your parents just sign up up and let you use it?
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
from the PayPal site, (in small writing at signup point).....

Quote:
Note: You must be over 18 to sign up for a PayPal account.

I guess I have no other option but to use my credit card, unless anybody else has any other suggestions *pleading on my hands & knees* ?

You couldn't have a credit card if you weren't 18 surely???

I'm surprised about the PayPal 18 and over policy - look at all the kids using eBay. I'd be surprised if they performed any checks - try signing up and see if you actually can register. But even if you pay by PayPal, you still need to give over your name and address details, so you won't really be gaining anything.
wumingsden
Sorry its not a Credit Card, its a Debit Card, a Visa Electron to be exact. You do have to be 18+ to have a credit card.

I'm spending my mony not someone elses, nor am I in debt Exclamation

the differences explained:

Quote:

Credit. Every time you use a credit card, you are actually borrowing money that is made available to you by a bank or other financial institution. The institution pays the debt to the vendor, and in turn, you pay the money back to the institution. By signing up for a credit card, you agree to pay back the money that you borrowed, in addition to any interest drawn on the amount you borrowed.

Debit. Odds are, you have a debit card in your wallet or purse right now, since many ATM cards are programmed to have debit options. Issued by your bank, debit cards take funds directly from the money that you have in your bank account--in a sense acting like a check, just faster. With a debit card, you don't have to carry cash or checks, and it is very convenient to shop at a variety of places including gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, and retail stores. They provide instant access to your money and are accepted worldwide.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/001218d.cfm
Scorpio
Someone's elses'.

They are your parents' anyway

Then do this.

Buy a domain using your parents credit card for 10$

Buy your mother a gift and some flowers for mothers' day for 10$

You are even and all square and no debt

Voila!