FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP dual installation

kv
Is it possible to install two installations of XP on same hard drive (in different partitions/drive) and use bootloader to boot into required installation? I am planning to use one installation for browsing, playing games, etc which, even if got corrupted/virus attacked, I wouldn't care much. The other one I am planning to use for serious work.
Nyizsa
Do you really need two different installations? I think two or three partitions are just enough. For example:
c: system
d: game & others
e: serious work
Then you may create different users. If you revoke the write right from the gaming user for e:, your work is safe. And so on, the details depend on you...
Donutey
you might want to consider dual booting linux (ubuntu/mandriva for example) with windows xp... linux for work, xp for play. That might give you more flexibility that having two xp installs.
Bones
Yes it is possible, as long as they are installed on different drives or partitions. Just run XP setup by booting from the disk, and select a different partition at the partitioning screen to install to.

If you need to resize any partitions to make room, make sure any data on those partitions is backed up, as I have seen many partitions go *poof* after trying to resize them.
kv
Thanks Bones. I will give it a try. I am guessing it will be still different drive letters in each partition (I can't have c: on two partitions). But that is ok.

Nyizsa wrote:
Do you really need two different installations? I think two or three partitions are just enough. For example:
c: system
d: game & others
e: serious work
Then you may create different users. If you revoke the write right from the gaming user for e:, your work is safe. And so on, the details depend on you...

I don't wan't to just protect my work, but also to have a clean os. I don't to use a virus attacked os for my work. So, I need two installations.
Bones
You are correct, it will be 2 different drive letters, because technically, you can't have two drives/partitions that use the same letter (although that's not quite true if Vista is the second OS on the machine..but that's a different story)

After dual booting, you should get a menu on startup that will ask you which installation you want to start. If you have any problems getting the second copy of XP to start, it will likely be a matter of editing the boot.ini (timeout may be set to zero etc)

You can find instructions for editing the boot.ini here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/en-us