FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard disk failed after the power supply got fried

pjv
I have an athlon xp 2000 running win xp and some usual stuff. I have two harddisk with it, one maxtor and the other is seagate. Everything works fine except one cold evening my pc suddenly turned off.

After a while it smelled a burnt electronics. I checked it and found out the my power supply got burned, maybe short circuit or something.

I bought a new one but problem is my two hard disk are not detected anymore even in the bios. I tried it on other PCs but nothing new happens. I need those data badly, hopefully someone can give me advices on what to do with it. I tried other measures like freezing it but still doesn't work.
Jamatu
There are a few companies' that can extract the data from your hard-drive. They take the discs out and use specially built hard drives amongst other things to get the data. It costs quite a bit though. Try googling it
abhinav_shah
If you need the data so badly, then i think you may not mind spending few bucks for it. There are many softwares available on the net through which you can recover data from crashed hard disks. Just try searching "Data recovery software" on the net.

PS: Next time keep a UPS...

Abhinav
Donutey
abhinav_shah wrote:
If you need the data so badly, then i think you may not mind spending few bucks for it. There are many softwares available on the net through which you can recover data from crashed hard disks. Just try searching "Data recovery software" on the net.

Abhinav

If the drive isn't even recognized by the hardware you can't do a whole lot with software

I completely agree with the UPS, but it might have been a faulty PSU by itself, although they are sometimes finicky, especially when my dog turns it off accidently, because of the switch on the top. Rolling Eyes
Xcelerate
I don't know if it'd work for you but it worked for me; apparently it separates bad hard drive clusters from the good ones:

1. Insert your Windows XP installation disk.
2. From the boot menu, select CD.
3. When it loads, select "repair".
4. Wait for it to load, then type: chkdsk /r
5. Let it run, remove the disk, restart. On the second restart, it might work.

Once again, I don't know much about what this procedure does, but it saved me from buying a new hard drive right then.
Bones
abhinav_shah wrote:

UPS wouldn't help with a failed power supply, as the PS is behind the UPS, unless the failure was caused by a power spike

Xcelerate wrote:

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if it'd work for you but it worked for me; apparently it separates bad hard drive clusters from the good ones:

1. Insert your Windows XP installation disk.
2. From the boot menu, select CD.
3. When it loads, select "repair".
4. Wait for it to load, then type: chkdsk /r
5. Let it run, remove the disk, restart. On the second restart, it might work.

This isn't going to help if even the BIOS doesn't recognize the drive. If Bios doesn't see it, then it's likely the controller in the drive itself that got zapped. Platter transplant is probably the only hope..and it will cost mucho $$$ as it can only be safely done in a clean room that is particle/static free. For all intents and purposes, the data is gone.
abhinav_shah
Sometime back I had a similar problem. Luckily my HDD was in warranty. So I went to the seagate service center, and they recovered the data for me and gave me a new HDD...

Abhinav
AlexNet
It sounds like the PSU had a fault, and it let a spike through the voltage regulator units. I have fried several boards, and I didnt even know it untill I realized it wouldnt update in the bios, and wouldnt take a new OS.

It sounds like the parts of the board for the IDE recognition dont work.

Does it do the same thing if you put in a different had drive?
pjv
Thnx a lot guys for your advices.

I do have a UPS running. It was just the PSU that was faulty, maybe it got overload for a 300 watts PSU to be keeping up with 2 HD, 2 optical drive, 1 floppy, CPU and monitor taking its power so I bought a higher wattage PSU.

I want to try changing the IDE board but I did not find any similar HD model from friends even the local store since the HD was already out of the market.
abhinav_shah
pjv wrote:
Thnx a lot guys for your advices.

I do have a UPS running. It was just the PSU that was faulty, maybe it got overload for a 300 watts PSU to be keeping up with 2 HD, 2 optical drive, 1 floppy, CPU and monitor taking its power so I bought a higher wattage PSU.

I want to try changing the IDE board but I did not find any similar HD model from friends even the local store since the HD was already out of the market.

Good work...

Abhinav Shah
bsrkaditya
Once your hard disk gone it is gone. It recently happened to me in february.
It is not possible to recover it. However you may get a new hard disk by exchanging it with the manufacturing company. Check if your hard disk is in date. It will usually have 5-6 years warranty. You will have to inistall your O.S. again and everything. Windows 2000 or Redhat enterprise 4 editon are good choices. 2000 has a very stable kernel much much better than XP.
technology.sponge
if the data is IMPORTANT, u shud consider usign a hardware data recovery service -
OnTrack can do it for a sum (dont expect it to be cheap) or any other reputable data recovery service company

dont try to repair the disks with any disk managers, partitionign software, software file recovery tools as this may exacerbate the problem
orcaz
bsrkaditya wrote:
Once your hard disk gone it is gone. It recently happened to me in february.
It is not possible to recover it. However you may get a new hard disk by exchanging it with the manufacturing company. Check if your hard disk is in date. It will usually have 5-6 years warranty. You will have to inistall your O.S. again and everything. Windows 2000 or Redhat enterprise 4 editon are good choices. 2000 has a very stable kernel much much better than XP.

it is possible.... itz just whether u r willing to pay for the recovery and how important your data is, and how damaged ur hard disk is... those manufacturers will surely haf some special devices to recover at least part of ur data. the police haf those tools too... if u want free service, juz call the police say you got hacking software or pirated stuff in it, and they will help you recover for free... Juz joking...