FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to partition my 40GB NTFS portable HD?

koolbluez
As the question states, I recently bought a portable HD, the ones u get assembled from LaptopHarddisks.

It is NTFS formatted, I think FAT32 is not supported by 40GB partions, @least that's what Partition Manager displayed when I tried to partition it.

I tried to partition it but not happening. Can anyone who tried this stint, tell me how to partition this HD, full details, as FAT32 & NTFS partitions. I can even try in DOS, as the HD is NTFS!!!!

Please help me outta this predicament Crying or Very sad
driftingfe3s
Why do you want it in FAT32? If your using windows XP, NTFS is superior to it in almost every way.

Windows will not alow you to format a partion larger than 32 GB. If you want you could make it into 2 partions of 20 GB each and format to FAT32. Partition Magic might be able to format the whole thing in one volumein FAT32... but working in FAT32 when you can use NTFS is kind of pointless.
{name here}
Partitioning your drives will also help you boot faster.
koolbluez
Uhmmm... FAT32 has its own advantages... For example.. if i go to a Win98 system & attach the drive, u can't see my NTFS drive!!! Of course, there are drivers to VIEW NTFS in Win98, but what about writing data onto the drive!!! Those drivers are costly... useless.. Also the same is in case of DOS systems.

I tried partitioning in Partition manager too... the "Split" function is not highlighted, the disk can't be split using it. Are there other Free/free-to-use Partition managers worth trying? I don't think that'll help.

It shows as a Primary partition. So i tried converting to logical partition and then splitting... still the same... unhighlighted "Split" tab....
bsrkaditya
It is possibile to make your hardisk have 2 partitions. However you will lose all the data in your hard disk. Boot from your windows install disk, in the partition changes delete your 40 GB disk and make a 20 GB NTFS/FAT32 Partition. Install Win XP in it and when you boot into XP go to the control panel select performance and maintanence --- administrative tools --- Computer Management === storage === disk management local you will see 20 GB unallocated space there. Right click it and make a new FAT Partition out of it. Cool
must19
try partition magic its good software who can manage your disk (create partition, file system conversion...)

http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche10520-partition-magic.html
ocalhoun
The only way to partition external HDD's that I know of is to take the drive out of the external casing, and install it internaly. If it has NTFS on it already you'll have to kill NTFS first (not an easy thing) use some type of drive-wiping software. You can then partition it just like an ordinary drive and return it to its casing.
{name here}
bsrkaditya wrote:
It is possibile to make your hardisk have 2 partitions. However you will lose all the data in your hard disk. Boot from your windows install disk, in the partition changes delete your 40 GB disk and make a 20 GB NTFS/FAT32 Partition. Install Win XP in it and when you boot into XP go to the control panel select performance and maintanence --- administrative tools --- Computer Management === storage === disk management local you will see 20 GB unallocated space there. Right click it and make a new FAT Partition out of it. Cool

This is not true. If you defrag your drive, then resize it with a Linux Partitioner, then create a new partition, it'll work with preserving your data on your first partition. Be sure to not to resize under the data or the system is messed. I do not reccomend using a Linux Setup partition manager if you have Hiren's Boot CD or anoth utility similar.
The_Gamer294
idk what happened after the link (lol) but ive been wanting to make a partition for a long time!
varun_dodla
Quote:
try partition magic its good software who can manage your disk (create partition, file system conversion...)

yeah Partition Magic must be the best choice in this case.....I have been using it since long to perform various such tasks as partitioning, resizing drives, converting file system ....etc (never tried on a portablr HD but should definitely work).
john01385
if you don't want to download software you can still manage you hard drives within windows (xp). goto start>control panel> admin controls>device management. then on the left select disk management. from there you can partition, defrag, format and rename any hard drives connected to your PC. Smile
john01385
btw - windows disk manager also works with external hard drives.
tungtony
I think it is not necessary to partition a portable HD for portable use, especailly it only 40GB. I will perfer create some folder for backup purpose.

For 40GB, it uses for backup document or some data or transfer a large file to another computer.