FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File coming back even after Shift+Delete

koolbluez
Recently I made a file and after finding it useless, tried to delete it. To my dismay, it vanished and came back immediately.

I tried to Shift+Delete it but to no avail. It just keeps coming back. I'm not able to delete it.

Can anyone tell me what's happening? I checked for virus(updated to 1st month this year, but came up with nothin
Scorpio
Coming Back?

To the same location?

A file that is Shift+deleted can of course be recovered from your system unless it is securely shredded

Why dont you try using a secure shredder.

There is one in TuneUp Utilities 2006

link

Try using the secure shredder in that.

If it still comesback we have to improvise something else

Edit by Animal - Fixed incorrectly spelled word (that caused the word filter to kick in) and removed the full-text link - it made the page look untidy!
driftingfe3s
What kind of file did you make?
Nyizsa
driftingfe3s wrote:

Good question. The process that created it may be still active (or starts on every boot) and when it finds that the file is gone, it creates an other one.
S3nd K3ys
Nyizsa wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

Good question. The process that created it may be still active (or starts on every boot) and when it finds that the file is gone, it creates an other one.

Or it's open from another application, but you'd likely get an error.
koolbluez
no.. just an ordinary zip file.
Even after restart and deleting file, no error occurs. It just disappears for a second & comes back (AS IF SOMEONE IS 'CTRL+Z'ing AS SOON AS I DELETE!!!)
whplace
hey dont worry try avg anti virus it actully solves this type of probs!so try this and reply
orno
whats the name of the file?
did u create it yourself?
what was in the zipfile?

check your startup scripts (if any) + check registry
Arin
By all means dont open that zip!

Simply - you have a virus. It runs as a process and makes sure that his copies will remain on the hard disk - thus if you delete the zip its simply created again.

Two things to do - use some anti spyware (like SpyBot Search & Destroy) and some anti virus (like Grisoft AVG Free).

One additional thing - ctrl+alt+del, list your processes, and google about every single one from the list. As a query use just process executable file name, like spool.exe etc. You will then know which processes may be dangerous, and wipe them out in windows's "troubleshooting mode" (I dont know how is it in English, in Polish it's tryb awaryjny :D)

cheers,
Arin.
koolbluez
no... no... guyz.. I just backed up some of my data... like documents into a zip file. After extracting them, i thought of deleting it. That's when these things happened.
orcaz
mebbe u shud try using secure deleter softwares like Eraser...
anthonygerbils
first scan the file
then shred it
then scan your hole computer
then if that doesnt work use a registry fixer
and an error guard and then if that doesnt work try defraging it as that will help shift the files
and again if that doesnt work look at your zip file opener!
Shake
That doesn't sound right. It has to be from another program. Were you using some kind of software to back up your stuff into the zip file? This just sounds odd to me. You could try something like MoveOnBoot to see if you can delete it, but that's usually for files that are locked into Windows.