FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Someone please help

varun_dodla
I use a Pentium III system with Windows XP and RH9 together.Recently I wanted to install C Panel in RH9 but had to abort it after some time due to some reason and the problem now is that I'm unable to start my X Server and only have the command promt.Is it possible that some files were overwritten and that is causing the problem?

Is there anyway that I can reinstall the X Server without loosing any of my files coz I'm not a professional n can't use the command promt effectively. please help me if you know a way out.
Donutey
why exactly was it aborted?
superbyte
Exclamation Question You need to send more information about the problem. First of all, in RedHat, at the Command Prompt, type 'startx' (Without quotes, of course) and Linux will try to start X-Window, if it fails it will tell you some error message and that error message is the one you need to tell us so we can figure out what is causing the problem and find out how to fix it.

In most cases you don't need to reinstall anything, just change some lines in your X configuration file.
orno
note of advice: next time, use a clearer title

something as generic as "Someone pease help" probably gets ignored by most people
ben.lastname
I can't help but laugh because my brother did the same thing to my computer a few years ago. They guy went ahead and deleted the bootloader and then rebooted. Between storing everything I care about on a file server and being lazy I just formatted the whole darn thing instead of repairing it. Just thought I'd mention that I am glad I'm not the only one to mess a computer up like this.
varun_dodla
Quote:
.... I am glad I'm not the only one to mess a computer up like this.

Ya ...think I messed it up....but now I don't need RH9 anymore so think I'm going to remove linux partitions and then do the FIXMBR to remove the boot loader and still retain my Win XP.