FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stamp collection

is stamp collection interesting
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

saravana
hi folks,

how r ya doin ? i love to collect stamps...
i have a lot but i dont know what to do with that Question
would someone like to trade stamps with me Question
Mr Smith
Okay... I understand that collecting the stamps is interesting... but what do people see in it? Yeah you do see a bit of the world through pictures, but other than that?

I guess its better than collecting sand from different beaches around the world XD
Michael B
What is interesting

Geting every stamp to a series
Getting more than you old brother (in my case at lest)
Counting them and saying wow I have 6000 stamps (in my case at lest again)
The ammount they are worth, I would have hundreds of dollors in stamps, most hobbies cost money and you can't ever get it back with stamps collecting you can.
The fact that others don't know how much they are worth and will send you over $100 worth in the mail.
And also learning were every contary is, is fun too.
hotboy
I love before
but now I have no time to do so
admin02159
ya...i start collect since 6 years old now got 5 album and 2 first day cover album
jeffsolodky
Why would you collect stamps? I just don't understand how anyone can find it interesting to collect stamps, when they will keep producing new ones and you will never be able to collect them all.
yenbin
saravana wrote:
hi folks,

how r ya doin ? i love to collect stamps...
i have a lot but i dont know what to do with that Question
would someone like to trade stamps with me Question

i enjoy when i was child,
but give up for a long time
sudipbanerjee
I have two books of Stamp in my collection. One of my friend stolen it from my school bag.
dude_xyx
jeffsolodky wrote:
Why would you collect stamps? I just don't understand how anyone can find it interesting to collect stamps, when they will keep producing new ones and you will never be able to collect them all.

People do collect stamps because they find various interesting things about those. Some collect pretty stamps or Some collect rare stamps. Some collect for future value.

I collect old stamps. I always love of find history about old stamps I get or buy.
Tesa323
How do you know if a stamp is rare? I've heard people way they have rare stamps ? How do you detirmine how there rare
nigam
Tesa323 wrote:
How do you know if a stamp is rare? I've heard people way they have rare stamps ? How do you detirmine how there rare

i guess the year of it...that probably would make the stamps rare.....
GoldenEagle
There are many books that give approximate rarity for various stamps and misprints so it's pretty easy to find out if your stamp is rare. Very Happy

Collecting stamps is just like collecting anything else. People do it because it's fun. Some people like completing sets or really love certain kinds (I lover ones from the early 1900's) so they aspire to get all of the ones that they like.
quex
In defense of stamp collectors, some stamps and philately are cool as hell. For example, here are the famous record (as in musical record, on a turntable) stamps of Bhutan.

Other stamps have been printed with hidden messages to POWs in wartime, raffle codes (like Japan's yearly nengajyou lottery, where new years postcards each count as a lottery ticket for the recipient), or in micro, so finely detailed that they can be used as accurate maps if viewed with a magnifier.
dude_xyx
I collect local first day covers. Also local stamps of Victorian times and stamps about automobiles. Yesterday There was an stamp exhibition and bought couple of first day covers.
quex
dude_xyx wrote:
I collect local first day covers. Also local stamps of Victorian times and stamps about automobiles. Yesterday There was an stamp exhibition and bought couple of first day covers.

Okay, can somebody explain the draw of first day covers to me? They're precancelled, right? So you can never use them if you get bored of them... or are the cancelled ones on the special issue-office envelope not the same as FDC's?
GoldenEagle
I found some stamps when I was on a pick:

Picture and story
truespeed
I remember being told that you should leave stamps attached to the envelopes,taking them off reduces their value.
GoldenEagle
These ones lifted up on their own after 70 years.....
nigam
i used to collect stamps during my grade school days....i think i've lost my stamp book when we moved to another house...been looking for a year but still i couldn't find it....
dude_xyx
quex wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

Okay, can somebody explain the draw of first day covers to me? They're precancelled, right? So you can never use them if you get bored of them... or are the cancelled ones on the special issue-office envelope not the same as FDC's?

Here're some good information about first day issues,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_day_of_issue

When they issue a stamp or a set of stamps for first time they do this first day issue thing for collectors. You can buy those from postal department. Usually those don't issue those a lot. Like if they print 1 million stamps then there would be 25,000 first covers for the same stamp.

Yes You can't use first day covers since those are already canceled.
Insanity
I was going to get into stamp collecting, but then I realized that there are just too many out there to collect. And I don't have that kind of time to be stamp collecting.
brianj
its my hobby, err..about 15 years ago
mister256
stamp collecting is a very cool hobby
dude_xyx
Insanity wrote:
I was going to get into stamp collecting, but then I realized that there are just too many out there to collect. And I don't have that kind of time to be stamp collecting.

You do not have to collect every and each stamp in the world. Also it won't work unless you are willing to spending millions of dollars. Pick one narrow niche and start collect stamps about it. like,

1) Stamps about automobiles or Animals.
2) Stamps of your country or local stamps about a time period.
3) International stamps about a time period like world war 2.

etc. I collect stamps of British commonwealth from Queen Vitoria age stamps till to end of the world war 2. I also collect stamps of Old Soviet Union. Also I collect firstday covers which some stamp collectors do.

On one can find all the stamps in the world. But still you can search for what you want and enjoy this hobby.