FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nintendo "Revolutions" Wii

dreammedia
Anyone planning to get a "Wii" <--- its new name (codename was revolution)

It has cool features including something (I think) is new to the gaming industry: An interactive controller. Basically, say you are playing a first person shooter, you can imagine your controller as the gun and swing it about. Wherever you aim the controller, at the screen, it will shoot there. Its just like being in the game itself. The same applies to sword games etc where your controller is the sword and you can weild it around.

Think it can compete with ps3 and xbox 360??
I think so. What are your ideas?

(more info at www.nintendo.com)
roccsteadii
When it does come out and the reviews are good, I might consider buying it. I like Nintendo for the "Nintendo" based games like Super Mario and Super Smash Brothers.

I think the Revolution will bump heads with the 360, but not the PS3, but that is just my opinion. (Plus im a Playstation fan anyways) So I think PS3 will be the champ at this time.

The reason why I don't like to hype the 360 is becuase most of the games are playable on the computer (Created by Microsoft). I'm not saying PS3 is the best, but for right now,"as a console", it's going to be the "it" product for a couple of years, although I don't like the design of the controllers. haha.

As for the Revolution Controller, it is going to be intresting to see it.

[All videos of the Revolution and PS3 can be found @ YouTube.com; Search "Revolution" or "PS3"]
linkman2004
I'll most definitely be getting one... once I get a job and have money. Razz But I too also get Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Rogue 2 for the Cube was the exception. But I definitely can't wait for all the Wii games like Metroid Prime 3, Mario 128, and Smash Bros. I would say Zelda but we're still waiting on one for the GameCube! Razz
Whong
I'll defenitely get one! Laughing
I've always been a Nintendo fan and will always be! I've never liked Playstation and Xbox! Exclamation
I think the Wii will beat both PS3 and Xbox360 by it's new tecnology! Wink
Sinars
"Wii" has got to be the crappiest name for a console. Ever. Didn't they say some thing about the name symbolising. The idea of 'coming together' to play. Thats bull crap. I thought the entire idea of playing video games was to be anti social and to. Escape the idiots of society, not to 'come together' with them. And the idea of actually getting physical to play your games is crap aswell. I play video games to lie on the couch and be lazy. I don't want to actually exert energy to play a video game. This sounds crap. I think anyone who gets one of these over a PS3 is an idiot.
rightclickscott
Sinars wrote:
"Wii" has got to be the crappiest name for a console. Ever. Didn't they say some thing about the name symbolising. The idea of 'coming together' to play. Thats bull crap. I thought the entire idea of playing video games was to be anti social and to. Escape the idiots of society, not to 'come together' with them. And the idea of actually getting physical to play your games is crap aswell. I play video games to lie on the couch and be lazy. I don't want to actually exert energy to play a video game. This sounds crap. I think anyone who gets one of these over a PS3 is an idiot.

Well, there is something you need to understand. The Wii was designed so that everyone would have one (especially since the price tag is only going to be $100, compared to the PS3's supposed price tag of $600-$700), that way, all people can come together. It's a great idea, but when it comes to being anti-social about gaming, it's really a double-edged sword. While I hate the fact that everyone on Xbox live is a stark raving idiot, it's great to actually play with so many people from across the country and beyond. And while it's designed so that everyone would own one, only real gamers can appreciate it. There was never any law set out that video games were designed to be anti-social, since they and pretty much have always been mainstream. When Nintendo made their first famicom, they never thought "OK, this will be perfect if we market it into the geek crowd!" No, video games were never designed to be antisocial. Hell, I met a girl recently who's very hot and has lots of friends, and do you know what we spend our time doing? We play First Person Shooters (she's a huge fan of Wolfenstein). So, really, you can't start making comments about trying to be anti-social, when you're saying the same things everyone, and not just the internet, is saying. I'm not trying to change your mind, I just want you to formulate an opinion which doesn't include you completely burning Nintendo, because they don't care what you think.
Whong
Sinars wrote:
This sounds crap. I think anyone who gets one of these over a PS3 is an idiot.

So you're calling me an idiot, because I would never buy a PS3, I am strictly only Nintendo! Exclamation Now let me tell you something brother, we look like idiots and sound like idiots because we do but, we are wiser to choose something new that we know is good than you who goes old-school style with the basic controlers and all! Nintendo has never disapointed me and will certanly never do. Laughing You may like the old style PS3, but Wii will rock the house and be a blockbuster! Laughing
goku_br
Looks like everybody agrees that "Wii" is a really stupid name... Well, I don't care what it's called, I just wanna play it!
trickstott
I am probably still going to get one. The odd thing is that "probably" that appeared in that last statement. I said "definately" until I heard the name "Wii."

It is an incredibly idiotic name. Unless they intend to spend an unprecedented amount of money marketing the name, no casual shopper is even going to recognize the name as a "thing" rather then a pronoun. Much less will anyone think "Wii? Is that the new gaming system?"

I've marketed things with unusual name before, and the secret really is getting lots of people to talk about it until it becomes part of everyone's vocabulary. This is much easier when the new word at least includes something related to the product: like the "Play" in Playstation.

I and all my non-gamer friends were excited by "the revolution", but we all feel, frankly, insulted by a name so obviously stupid as "Wii." It's like Nintendo is actually trying to make it harder for itself.
Saryon
well, the name "Wii" is new to me. It sounds quite stupid to be honest, I liked "Revolutions" more. Anyway, the name doesn't change anything about the console itself. I still think this is quite awesome, with this interactive controller. I think I'm going to buy it when it comes out, not sure though,n mostly depends on the price, which most likely will be high Very Happy
goku_br
I can't wait to get mine! And I really hope they'll change that name... Mad
Frag
WHAT A STUPID NAME FOR THE CONSOLE< LETS NOT ABREVIATE COS WERE COOL>
Whong
Frag wrote:
WHAT A STUPID NAME FOR THE CONSOLE< LETS NOT ABREVIATE COS WERE COOL>

Who are you to judge Nintendo, of course you can tell your opinion, but don't say that we shouldn't buy it because of the name! I'm not judging XBox for its name though I don't really like it! Nintendo is cool and so is its new console, you don't wanna buy it, FINE but you'll miss something great! Wink

If you don't want it, don't get it! Wink
nealio1000
dreammedia said: Anyone planning to get a "Wii" <--- its new name (codename was revolution)

It has cool features including something (I think) is new to the gaming industry: An interactive controller. Basically, say you are playing a first person shooter, you can imagine your controller as the gun and swing it about. Wherever you aim the controller, at the screen, it will shoot there. Its just like being in the game itself. The same applies to sword games etc where your controller is the sword and you can weild it around.

(more info at www.nintendo.com)

nealio1000: i have the xbox 360 and it is amazing!!! the Hardware specs are great the games are great. It is just soooo cool!

I really dont like the name "wii" im not even sure how to pronounce it! is it "wee" or "Wye" i really dont know!
Whong
nealio1000 wrote:
dreammedia said: Anyone planning to get a "Wii" <--- its new name (codename was revolution)

I believe that it will be able to take out them and be the most popular console! Think about it, You're playing a tennis game with Xbox 360 or PS3, its not that cool you just press some buttons and the players hit the ball! In Wii as nealion1000 said you can use it interactively! Think guys when playing a tennis game you can really swing the controller like raquet and get that real feeling of playing!

Thanks to the fine mind and brilliance of its new console "Wii" Nintendo will be a block buster!

By the way nealion1000 "Wii" is pronounced as we, like you, me, we! Wink Idea
nbwbhst
I, like many, am a PS3 fan. Mainly because the final fantasy series used to be just on Playstation. But now I think its spreading, not for sure so don't quote me. But i do believe XBOX is going to have some FF games now. Other than that series I had no reason to pick playstation over the others but by this time I am so acustomed to only buying that system that I probably won't buy the wii. Plus the PS# will have free on-line play and being a madden fan that's awesome. We'll just have to see come september for the PS3.
Monkeydog
I enjoy the name of Wii...but I agree Revolution would be better.

Of course I'm getting one, recently, I beileve, Time even said playing with old school controllers is stupid(like the Xbox and PS3 are useing). The Rev will be a new experience, not same old same old like it has been for about 5~10 years now...

plus old school games. <3
DragonEye
The Wii is probably one of Nintendo's best marketing schemes. Listen to how EVERYONE is discussing and getting in arguments on forums like this, all about how the Wii is or isn't a dumb name. It's perfect for nintendo. They just performed millions of dollars of advertising for free, simply by changing the name. And that stands to reason since most everyone and their mother, whether they hate the name or not, is going to at least give the console a try at their friends house or something, and if the console is good, all those people who dislike the name will look right past and buy one. The name may matter now, but it won't matter anymore when it's released, then it's just a way to reference the system you're playing. Nintendo know what they're doing.
Whong
DragonEye wrote:
The Wii is probably one of Nintendo's best marketing schemes. Listen to how EVERYONE is discussing and getting in arguments on forums like this, all about how the Wii is or isn't a dumb name. It's perfect for nintendo. They just performed millions of dollars of advertising for free, simply by changing the name. And that stands to reason since most everyone and their mother, whether they hate the name or not, is going to at least give the console a try at their friends house or something, and if the console is good, all those people who dislike the name will look right past and buy one. The name may matter now, but it won't matter anymore when it's released, then it's just a way to reference the system you're playing. Nintendo know what they're doing.

Nintendo is a real Master Mind, real genius! We are advertising Wii by talking about it, Great! Wink
Monkeydog
I totally agree with this being such a great marketing scheme, which is why I've thought from the begining why they chose the name(and announced it a week before E3)...Nintendo is soooo~ cool like that.
raman
I have no idea how good it is yet, but depending on its specifications and the games that come out for it will determine whether I decide to get it or not but Nintendo is due for a new system and it should be good.
Sinars
"Well, there is something you need to understand. The Wii was designed so that everyone would have one (especially since the price tag is only going to be $100, compared to the PS3's supposed price tag of $600-$700), that way, all people can come together. It's a great idea, but when it comes to being anti-social about gaming, it's really a double-edged sword. While I hate the fact that everyone on Xbox live is a stark raving idiot, it's great to actually play with so many people from across the country and beyond. And while it's designed so that everyone would own one, only real gamers can appreciate it. There was never any law set out that video games were designed to be anti-social, since they and pretty much have always been mainstream. When Nintendo made their first famicom, they never thought "OK, this will be perfect if we market it into the geek crowd!" No, video games were never designed to be antisocial. Hell, I met a girl recently who's very hot and has lots of friends, and do you know what we spend our time doing? We play First Person Shooters (she's a huge fan of Wolfenstein). So, really, you can't start making comments about trying to be anti-social, when you're saying the same things everyone, and not just the internet, is saying. I'm not trying to change your mind, I just want you to formulate an opinion which doesn't include you completely burning Nintendo, because they don't care what you think."

Hahaha. I doesn't matter what you say - video games are the ultimate substitutes for friends.
ryanh2006
As a Brit and all the name Wii is definitley the best marketing blunder that I can ever recall! I mean Wii come on!! How many parents wll got to the store and say hey buddy can I get a w-i-i (double u i i). Not to mention all of the gross but hilarious jokes that I have heard online! Mum can I wii in the Salon? or Mom my friend's mum let's him play with his wee in his room! The list goes on and on. And to think that I bemoaned the Xbox 360 for being cliche or the PS3 for being boring. I say God Bless MS and Sony! The games are better, the control pad is functional (well at least MS' is!!) and it has a serious Marketing plan behind it. Sheesh, what will they think of next?! Surprised
Monkeydog
ryanh2006 wrote:
The games are better, the control pad is functional (well at least MS' is!!) and it has a serious Marketing plan behind it.

So Nintendo's games which pretty much set a standard for every other game aren't good?

The control pad you've never touched and still don't know eveything about(You'll probably learn it by today though)doesn't work?

and Nintendo's smart marketing ploy that gave it so much publicity just for a name isn't serious?

Why the hell would you even care about a name for a console anyways? It doesn't change a damn thing. I've never picked a console because of it's name, and never will...and in fact I've never ever even really liked the name of any game console too much.(Genesis sounded sexy though)
Whong
ryanh2006 wrote:
As a Brit and all the name Wii is definitley the best marketing blunder that I can ever recall! I mean Wii come on!! How many parents wll got to the store and say hey buddy can I get a w-i-i (double u i i). Not to mention all of the gross but hilarious jokes that I have heard online! Mum can I wii in the Salon? or Mom my friend's mum let's him play with his wee in his room! The list goes on and on. And to think that I bemoaned the Xbox 360 for being cliche or the PS3 for being boring. I say God Bless MS and Sony! The games are better, the control pad is functional (well at least MS' is!!) and it has a serious Marketing plan behind it. Sheesh, what will they think of next?! Surprised

If we are gonna make jokes lets start with PS3. Do you want to play PS3.
PS3 sounds when you say it fast "pee us three" so thats kind of an odd thing, so wanna PS3, I don't! Laughing
And as for Xbox, that X could go for so many things that I won't even say any. Man, think of it " Wanna Xbox with me, Wanna come and PS3 with me", they are all crazy names if you think of them like that! So Nintendo ain't the only "Bhoonthuu" around here! Wink

Quote:
Nintendo's Wii is just wii, but PS3's PS is pee us! Wink Idea
DragonEye
ryanh2006 wrote:

I think you missed my main point. No matter how much it is being made fun of, it's still getting the word of mouth publicitly it needs. And when it boils down to the release, the name's not going to matter as much, it's going to be about whether the system is actually fun.
izimngcubes15
I really want the console, can not wait!!!! I love it!!!!! I am a Nintendo Fan! ^.^
Nameless
At first I thought the name 'Wii' was just stupid, but after reading about why is was called that, I think it's actually kind of cool. It's clever, interesting, unique, and heck of a lot more creative than 'Play Station 3'. I mean, what the hell. Yeah, I bet they hired a whole department to come up with that. The is pretty different, but the Wii will be a lot different to most other generic gaming consoles, so I think it's a good thing. And really, as someone else pointed out (I forget who), how damn immature do you have to be to go 'omg it's pronounced wee'. Hey guess what? So is we. If somebody says 'What movie should we see?' you don't go 'OMG What movie should wee see?! Get it? You digusting pervert!!'. GROW UP. It's just a name. Get the hell over it, people.

As for the system, I'm definetly looking forward to the Wii. The new controller will make action games, or any games with any careful precision needed (FPS, action/adventure games like Zelda...) SO much more fun than any other system. The price will be great. I only recently heard about it, and am ecstatic. I really just can't see me paying $600+ for a video game consol, and THEN more for the games. Rip off. $100? MUCH better, and a major plus in my book.

Besides, it's Nintendo. I have always been a fan of Nintendo, since my favourite game series have been made by them (Zelda, Mario, SSB...) and I still prefer more child-friendly games than adult ones (although, FPS are a possible exception, but Nintendo has made some awesome FPS before).

Incidently, I can not STAND people who refuse to buy a system because of its name, or because they are stupid console fanboys. Give the Wii a chance (ie, actually trying a few games on it) before screaming blue murder and calling Nintendo 'morons'.
LostOverThere
Of Course i'll buy the Wii. Smile

I also think Nintendo is a LOT more creative then Sony, Nintendo for starters, names each of its consoles a funky name GameCude, Nintendo Wii. What's with Sony just adding an extra number? Just to show us that the people at sony can count to 3?

Nintendo's names are cooler (as Nameless said).
driftingfe3s
rightclickscott wrote:
Well, there is something you need to understand. The Wii was designed so that everyone would have one (especially since the price tag is only going to be $100, compared to the PS3's supposed price tag of $600-$700), that way,

Wii will not cost $100. There is no final price yet, but estimates are around $250.
Nameless
driftingfe3s wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
Well, there is something you need to understand. The Wii was designed so that everyone would have one (especially since the price tag is only going to be $100, compared to the PS3's supposed price tag of $600-$700), that way,

Wii will not cost $100. There is no final price yet, but estimates are around $250.

Well, it steals beats the hell out of $600.
Whong
Have you seen the new Super Smash Bros Brawl game! It is really cool its coming for Wii!

Superb game, atleast looks like it by the trailer!

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Check it out! Wink
tony
i will probably get a wii. the name kinda sucks but it is going to be an affordable, back-compatible console with improved graphics and nintendo games are always the best.
Whong
tony wrote:
i will probably get a wii. the name kinda sucks but it is going to be an affordable, back-compatible console with improved graphics and nintendo games are always the best.

yeah, Nintendo is my favourite too, I can say that for me Nintendo games are truly the Best!

Wink Idea