FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

flat feet = no army?

Hobbit
I heard rumours that if you have flat feet you can't join the army, or you can't be drafted. Can anyone verify this?

And yes, I do have flat feet.
jabapyth
it is probably the same situation as with near-sightedness. My friend wanted to join, but couldent: They dont want "handicapps" in the army. Smile
dz9c
What does it mean if you have "flat feet"? Your handicapped? Question Question
AdamantMonk
If they needed personnel enough to draft it really wouldn't matter. The age could go down to 15 and up to 40... They would have legally blind people operating radios...

Beggars can't be choosers pretty much.

dz9c wrote:
What does it mean if you have "flat feet"? Your handicapped? Question Question

Flat feet means your foot has no arch, which in turn can affect your running ability, lead to soreness of the back, and other random things. They have insoles designed for them, but some people like flat feet because then they don't have to join the Military.
teh_razz
Hobbit wrote:
I heard rumours that if you have flat feet you can't join the army, or you can't be drafted. Can anyone verify this?

Are you scared to join the military or smth if your going to use that as an excuse you and every other pussy who trys to use that shoudl gtfo of america if your not willing to fight for your country you should leave..

sorry if you think i'm 'flaming' him but it seems like he is scared to fight for his own country and that = pathetic Rolling Eyes
Blaster
Calm down. He is only asking what we thought. They could still have him do something if really needed. So you can't really get out of the military.
Hobbit
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Are you scared to join the military or smth if your going to use that as an excuse you and every other pussy who trys to use that shoudl gtfo of america if your not willing to fight for your country you should leave..

sorry if you think i'm 'flaming' him but it seems like he is scared to fight for his own country and that = pathetic Rolling Eyes

Omg, it was just a question. I would fight for my country, you don't even know me so shut it. Drafts are stupid though.

ANYWAYS! I noticed I have flat feet this week when I bought some old school vans, they're 'old school' and the soles are kinda cheap and don't have an arch. With normal shoes I wouldn't notice because they have comfy soles.
Vrythramax
it used to be the case in the Army that if you had flat feet it was believed that you could not endure a forced march, but with the technology of footwear the way it is now most problems like that can be easily overcome.
Hobbit
Well they better give me some sweet boots then. Very Happy
bdoneck
It's true, flat feet is a very serious handicap in the army because they run and walk a lot and with flat feet you can't do that too well, it's just a precaution to prevent any soldier from being at a disadvantage.
Vrythramax
bdoneck wrote:
It's true, flat feet is a very serious handicap in the army because they run and walk a lot and with flat feet you can't do that too well, it's just a precaution to prevent any soldier from being at a disadvantage.

or a potentially serious liability. When I was in the service they didn't allow it (flat feet), but with so many things changing in the service(s) now, and like I said the state of currently available technology, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it wasn't a factor anymore. They have people in active service now with only one limb...granted they are not combat support troops, but there was a time not very long ago when thier services wouldn't even be considered. I am not saying they are allowing people with those handicaps to enlist, thier condition(s) must be service related, but they are no longer forced into a medical discharge.
driftingfe3s
I heard this as well, but I have flat feet and I don't see how that is a handicap. When I was in high school I was one of the fastest in my cross country and track team. I also ran 2 marathons in high school and got one of the best times from my age group.
blackheart
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Originally, I would have interpreted his post as him being worried he wouldn't be able to join because of his flat feet.
Scorpio
blackheart wrote:
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Originally, I would have interpreted his post as him being worried he wouldn't be able to join because of his flat feet.

Precisely.

He showed his disappointment in not being able to join in the first post
skygaia
Hm....

I'm from Korea. In my country all man have to serve in army for 2 years or more.
When a man is 20 years old, he has to take medical tests for serving in army. There are some reasons that a man can't serve in army.

one of them is flat feet.
I'm not sur why..
I was just told that it's very difficult to walk long time with flat feet.
But, in army soldiers often have to walk long time...

Actually, many men try to avoid to serve in army.
Because it is very difficult. and salary for soldiers is very very low.
in my experience, when i served in army at first, I just got 5 dollar a month.

So.. many man is finding out the way to avoid army... sometimes...
they did illegal something ...
Vrythramax
blackheart wrote:

That is exactly how I understood the question. For the record for anyone interested...it is not shameful or cowardly to be afraid to die for any cause...right, wrong, God or country. It is a natural instinct of survival to want to live, and only through training can it really be overcome to any real effective degree, and even then there are certain limitations...would anyone here throw themselves into a burning building just because it was the "Patriotic" thing to do?

(Nice to see you back blackheart Smile )
AdamantMonk
Vrythramax wrote:
would anyone here throw themselves into a burning building just because it was the "Patriotic" thing to do?

I would if I knew I wouldn't ruin my clothes.
izcool
Don't get me started about how I disapprove of drafts. (I have a ton of bookmarks of Anti-Draft websites on this computer). I'm still 16 (turning 17 this year, omg) and it's supposidly required by law for you to register for the "Selective Service", or well known as a draft. Supposidly in my state if you don't register your drivers license isn't valid. Sucks. Dunno what I'm gonna do to try to avoid signing up, but more than likely I'll have to. The last draft was in the Vietnam War when my dad was growing up, so I have no clue. Desprite times call for desprite measures, and I hope it doesn't come to that with the "Conflict" in Iraq.

I heard somewhere that you can try to apply for a non-combatant position in the Army, instead of being on the front line, you do other things behind the scenes with computer work and such. Don't quote me on that. I also heard that you cannot bring anything with you to boot camp, not even a pen to write letters with.

My uncle was in Vietnam and he got shot in the leg, he's sorta crazy. I'm afraid of what I might turn out like if I go in a war.

I don't think that I should die for oil (just look at our economy, it's going to turn out really crappy when we get really short on oil, it's going to affect prices on EVERYTHING), or for even dying in a war that I don't think we've should have gotten into. I dispise Bush a lot (only 2 more years until he's out of Office, thank goodness) and will be glad to hear that he's not going to run ever again, since this is his second term. I'm hoping that someone would shoot him or even kill him (it's been this trend ever since Abraham Lincoln, any president starting from him who's elected in a year that ends in a 0 either gets shot at or killed).

I know that I'm sorta flaming our government about this and sorta losing track of the entire topic, but since the Draft was mentioned, I needed to tell my opinion on it. I'm sorry for all of the above, but it's just my personal opinion.

I heard that they take most everybody, unless if they're really disabled and are unable to serve.

I am thankful for the people who are over there already. I have nothing against them. I'm just against the point of the war.

- Mike.
NjRocket
there seems to be alot of restricitions on the military standards. They are pretty picky about people joining. But when or if there is ever a draft, they changed their minds alot. You see everyone getting drafted for any kind of job when their desperate.
AdamantMonk
In the Army you can apply for jobs like being a Dentist (you have to have a prior degree though and it just greatly reduces your chances of being deployed) or a Veteranrian (again, prior degree and have to go officer for each) or X-ray Tech. Pretty much the only ones non-deployable are Officers, and you need to have a prior 4-year degree in any field to go officer... But really who wants to be a desk jockey?
Vrythramax
your MOS in the service is determined by questionaires, apptitude testing, and overall performance during basic training. So if you have the skills to become, say a Doctor...they will train you, a prior degree isn't really needed...but it would sure help convince them that you are right for that position. The military is notorious for using personel as tools...and they are not bad at utilizing thier tools to maximum advantage and benefit....for them.
blackheart
Vrythramax wrote:
blackheart wrote:

That is exactly how I understood the question. For the record for anyone interested...it is not shameful or cowardly to be afraid to die for any cause...right, wrong, God or country. It is a natural instinct of survival to want to live, and only through training can it really be overcome to any real effective degree, and even then there are certain limitations...would anyone here throw themselves into a burning building just because it was the "Patriotic" thing to do?

(Nice to see you back blackheart Smile )

Nice to be back, guess I was kind-of off for a bit.
And I do have to agree there is no shame in being afraid. To the same extent I don't believe anyone should be made to, or made to feel, that they have to enlist. It is their life, and in alot of cases the choice not to go is based on the idividuals non-support of the war even happening.
SeXi_NeRd
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Gosh that is so harsh of you...i asked the same question because i wanted to join the army and i thought mi flat feet would keep me from doin it...dont be so hard on him
snowboardalliance
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Umm since I'm not a "pussy" I'll even admit to you that I am not "too scared" to join the military but I sure as hell wouldn't do it. I'm glad the government stopped prosecuting people who don't register for the draft in the 1980s, because I'm 18 and unregistered.

Some people still have morals. We don't want to blindly follow the government "for our country" because we know it's not "for our country". If you disagree, that's fine, but I don't think you should call someone who is anti-war "pathetic", "pussy", etc. (Not that the OP was necessarily). It shows just how ignorant the government has made this country (like the Iraq war is some "great" cause and we need to be there)

I'll stop being off-topic now. Sorry but that post bothered me.
PatTheGreat42
You could probably get a waiver. Or join the Navy. Hells yeah Navy.
ocalhoun
AdamantMonk wrote:
Pretty much the only ones non-deployable are Officers,

What the heck makes you think officers don't get deployed? The most recent doctrine on the subject is that everyone is deployable, and should be deployed sooner or later.

As for flat feet, no branch of the military likes to take in people with the condition. You might get a waiver or you might hide it, but people who have it often develop leg problems during physical conditioning. I knew one person in basic who managed to shatter his shins by hiding a flat foot condition, then running as best as he could on it. Last I heard, he was still in med hold waiting to see if he would heal or be discharged.

Go ahead and sign up if you want to. They'll probably notice at the MEPS station, and tell you that you can't join without a waiver, then you'll have to do paperwork, and perhaps you'll get it.

If you do join while having a foot or leg condition, don't let the instructors at basic push you into running through pain: the pain will only get worse until you actually break something, and they really do have to let you stop if you have a legitimate medical problem.
carlospro7
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Think Arrow Shame on you
pfff, he was just asking a question.

Yeah, I don't think they can discriminate on that, not that they don't, but I think in the past that was something that could keep you out.
kristine
flat feet can't join the army that's sad to hear.my cousin want to join the army someday I hope he doest not have flat feet.
missdixy
Yeah my brother wanted to join the navy reserve but they told him he couldn't because he has flat feet.
Helios
Here in Israel you can definitely join the army if you have flat feet. It won't be elite forces, but you can still fight.

On the other hand, if you're really suffering from it and you can't walk for more than few hours, then they give you some technical job at best, or some office job at worst.
Kyle9118
Alright, hold the phone. I have flat feet and I am shipping out in feb for BCT. The army just wants to protect themselves from any liabilities, but as mentioned before technology is far more advanced then 40 years ago..you can put insoles in your boots if medically required. I ran and passed the 1 and 2 mile runs so i was able to get a waiver but it's really not that big of an issue. just assure and reassure your recruiter/MEPS doc (if they bring it up) that you have no issues with it. If they don't ask about it, don't tell them!!!!
TiffxMaggot
Actually my brother has flat feet and i talked to my recruiter and now they actually have special pads the put in the shoes that make it more comfortable for "flat feet" people.
soljarag
Flat feet??? I never knew that was a real condition Smile I thought it was just an expression.... I remember hearing it in the movie Die Hard...

I guess its when you have no arch in your foot..
Jamestf347
Quote:
they take most everybody, unless if they're really disabled and are unable to serve.

They Don't take people with diseases like Diabetes, sadly. Don't worry though, the army at the moment is an all volunteer army, no need for drafts at the moment. If you are flat foot you might not be able to, my old friend joined and found out he had flat foot at boot camp, and got sent home and didn't get to return.
Kyle9118
TiffxMaggot wrote:
Actually my brother has flat feet and i talked to my recruiter and now they actually have special pads the put in the shoes that make it more comfortable for "flat feet" people.

EXACTLY!! haha thank you. im pretty sure we just put this one to rest!
TiffxMaggot
Ha.
But may I add.
They wont take anyone that weighs over 120lbs...
goutha
I think tha the flat feet is kind of a myth.

With a special pad, bye bye flat feet, hello army Smile
Ghost Rider103
TiffxMaggot wrote:
Ha.
But may I add.

Never heard that one before. Especially since over half the people in the military are way over 120lbs.

I have a brother that is 180lbs and is in the Army.
Helios
Well what if you're over 120lbs because you're fat?
Of course there are many people who aren't fat and weigh more than that.
I weigh 198lbs for example and army had no problem with that, since I'm not fat.
I guess your army is no different, or at least it shouldn't be...
ocalhoun
TiffxMaggot wrote:
Ha.
But may I add.

There are physical requirements, but the weight requirement is dependent upon height. Short, heavy people will have a harder time getting in than tall, heavy people.

That said, weight issues are waiver-able. If you pass a simple fitness test, you can get a waiver for being heavy.
TiffxMaggot
yeah i was turned down. but only because...well im not really going to say but i had too much extra weight Embarassed
Stolich
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Your writing makes me believe you're a 12 year-old trying to act like a big boy.

Seriously, there are other ways to express your opinion.
Helios
Stolich wrote:
teh_razz wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

Your writing makes me believe you're a 12 year-old trying to act like a big boy.

Seriously, there are other ways to express your opinion.

You want me to express my opinion with a warning, or maybe all of you should lower your guns and calm down?
carlospro7
I heard this about the army, but I also heard that it was an old thing (like up to Vietnam or so), but I don't know if it's true. There are few physical issues that are connected with being flat footed, so it seems very possible that it is true.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
TiffxMaggot wrote:
Ha.
But may I add.

There are physical requirements, but the weight requirement is dependent upon height. Short, heavy people will have a harder time getting in than tall, heavy people.

That said, weight issues are waiver-able. If you pass a simple fitness test, you can get a waiver for being heavy.
I would imagine that people would loose weight pretty fast during the training too.

I was watching the movie G.I. Jane last night with Demi Moore (an old movie but the first time I watched it). I can imagine if one had flat feet in navy seal training that you would definitely not make it as it would result in achilles heel tendonitis and on top of all the other constraints may create bad injuries. I would imagine the army would have a good reason for not allowing recruits in with flat feet.
ocalhoun
carlospro7 wrote:
There are few physical issues that are connected with being flat footed, so it seems very possible that it is true.

People with flat feet tend to develop leg problems if they run a lot...
And everybody in the military runs a lot. Why should they recruit troops that are likely to break down under the strain, becoming useless and costing them money through medical benefits?
Of course, if they can correct the problem with just some shoe inserts, then there's no reason to not recruit them.
Ghost900
I assume they figure that as long as they have enough people joining then they can pick and choose. If they really needed people then I would imagine they would remove that restriction.

It is probable something that you don't even notice now but if you started marching all day every day then it may start to hurt a lot and would become a handicap.

I am sure that some day they they will be able to recruit them once they come out with a boot that works for them but unless they feel they need that small percentage if people then it may be awhile before they decide to do it.
Arty
teh_razz wrote:

I hope you're in the army yourself, or else you're a hypocrite.
hamza1122
i think that's the case because you can't really run long distances that much with flat feet.
ocalhoun
hamza1122 wrote:
i think that's the case because you can't really run long distances that much with flat feet.

Which is important because every branch of the US military puts heavy emphasis on running long distances... especially the army.
tony
I think I've heard that about flat feet and the US Army; not sure what the rules are in other places in the world (actually I'm not sure about the US Army as it was just something I had heard once Razz) I guess with flat feet you are handicapped Smile
coreymanshack
I have flat feet and have no problems running miles at a time. (I get tired after a while though).

My feet never seem to hurt me?
My dad always told me about this rule but I figured he was just messing with me.
achowles
teh_razz wrote:

Yeah, because obviously when you are born in a country that invades a sovereign nation for the most horse s**t reason in history (and there's no shortage of competition for that title), it's vital that you go off and die for that 'cause'.

America was founded on the principal of this thing called freedom. Freedom and being forced to fight and die for an obvious lie are somewhat at odds with one another. The concept of the draft is more akin to slavery than anything approaching that which America was founded on (although it was also founded the backs of slaves. The hypocrisy does somewhat undermine the intent, I'll admit :p).
logan4536
You cant join the Army with Flat Feet, And if anyone asks you cant with clubfoot either. I just got rejected, and do not know what I am going to do.
erlendhg
Hobbit wrote:

Well, I guess that depends - also on which country you live in.
Here in Norway, you wouldn't need or be able to join in most cases I guess.

That is at least how it was in my case, since I've got flat feet as well.
Now, the thing with the Norwegian defence, is that they do not actually want people that aren't motivated or have the right physical and psychic abilities Razz
Arty
Is it harder to run with flat feet or something?
ocalhoun
Arty wrote:

If you have flat feet, it's more likely that running a lot will cause leg injuries.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Arty wrote:

If you have flat feet, it's more likely that running a lot will cause leg injuries.
Good chance that people with flat feet who run a lot, may develop torn achilles heel ligaments as well. Although, with really good podiatrists, and provided that boots are worn all the time, they can design inserts that would be even better on running than some of the custom army approved feet can. Maybe the flat feet ruling could have become an archaic one given all the podiatry solutions that are available today?
ankitdatashn
Quote:
Flat feet means your foot has no arch, which in turn can affect your running ability, lead to soreness of the back, and other random things. They have insoles designed for them, but some people like flat feet because then they don't have to join the Military.

Ohh, So that means in America getting a military training is compulsory? Now that's weird!
ocalhoun
ankitdatashn wrote:
Quote:

Ohh, So that means in America getting a military training is compulsory? Now that's weird!

It hasn't been for decades, but it once was... And if there was a bad enough war, it could be made mandatory again.

If I remember correctly, the last time there was a mandatory draft was during the Vietnam war.
Helios
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Arty wrote:

Good chance that people with flat feet who run a lot, may develop torn achilles heel ligaments as well. Although, with really good podiatrists, and provided that boots are worn all the time, they can design inserts that would be even better on running than some of the custom army approved feet can. Maybe the flat feet ruling could have become an archaic one given all the podiatry solutions that are available today?

Who knows. Some cases of pes planus aren't treatable at all, but some comfort can be assured using quite expensive inserts (good quality ones costing over 350 USD). Some cases are treatable with operation, which has its risks of course... I wouldn't go and say that solutions available today are so easy and good, especially when in some cases there are no solutions at all. Maybe in the future...
ankitdatashn
ocalhoun wrote:
It hasn't been for decades, but it once was... And if there was a bad enough war, it could be made mandatory again.

If I remember correctly, the last time there was a mandatory draft was during the Vietnam war.

Thanks for enriching us with that piece of useful General Knowledge Smile
mk12327
Over here in Singapore, it is about the same as what the rest mentioned about their countries' military. People with flat feet still get conscripted into the army unless their condition is very serious at the point of medical review just before enlistment. However, during the duration of their service, if their condition worsen, they may be entitled to medical review again to assess their abilities in carrying out their duties. In some cases, they get to be re-vocated to another vocation where flat feet does not become an issue.

In addition, as pointed out by several replies, nowadays technology had advanced such that most people with flat feet condition can still be combat-fit and train like any other people. In fact, they also have shoes catered to those with high arch.
frankinchrist
Flat feet is a handicap and you are not flat footed, how the ****** would you know if it's a handicap? I have slave feet from hell and I'm glad I am flat footed. Don't ever have to worry about fallen arches, breaking the arch, and tearing the tendons. Having flat feet has not affect my running, walking, rucking, and my ability to do my job. I do not have foot, ankle, knee, and lower back pains or problems. Dumbasses with arches bitch about foot problems and shin splints all the time to the Docs, myself? Zero. I'm a 11Bravo, I do what most men are too scared to do. 11Bravo, 11Charlie, 13Foxtrot, 19Kilo, 68Whiskey, S.F. and CAG are the only real man jobs in the Army.

A 2005 study of Royal Australian Air Force recruits that tracked the recruits over the course of their basic training found that neither flat feet nor high arched feet had any impact on physical functioning, injury rates or foot health. If anything, there was a tendency for those with flat feet to have fewer injuries.[11] Another study of 287 Israel Defense Forces recruits found that those with high arches suffered almost four times as many stress fractures as those with the lowest arches. A later study of 449 U.S. Navy special warfare trainees found no significant difference in the incidence of stress fractures among sailors and Marines with different arch heights.[12]

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
rafaperez1006
[quote="Hobbit"]I heard rumours that if you have flat feet you can't join the army, or you can't be drafted. Can anyone verify this?

And yes, I do have flat feet
Well if you enlist they have no problem with flat feet
but if if there was a draft they would pass on you.
spinout
flat foot -> eq COP Laughing

So how do you fake a flat foot?
mk12327
spinout wrote:
flat foot -> eq COP Laughing

So how do you fake a flat foot?

You can't. Either you have it, or you don't. The so-called wet test or water test will determine your foot type immediately. Wet your feet and make a footprint on a flat surface. From the footprint it will show whether you have a normal arched, high arched, or flat feet.