FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Licences ??

zjosie729
I'm realized that on many templates, scripts and such, there is a thing called a licence. Sometime it has to be purchased. What does the licence do?
If I wrote a script and I want to distribute it to the public, do I have to buy a licence or do I just write one? and what is supposed to be in a licence?
Traveller
The person or company who publishes something owns the copyright to it. In making it available to you, they grant you a license to use it a certain way for a certain amount of time.

If you write something, you own the entire licensing rights, and it is entirely up to you, as the copyright holder, how much (if anything) to charge for such a license. Of course, unless you actually register what your have written with the Copyright Office, you would have difficulty enforcing your license.

Many people (especially those in the UNIX community, instead of Windows, but not necessarily) choose to allow their software to be used freely, and without charge, but still wish to keep some sort of official licensing agreement. To accomplish this, they use what is called the "GPL" or "GNU General Public License" (sometimes jokingly referred to as "copyleft"). For further information on what this entails, and how you may use it for your own works, should you so choose, go to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.
NGRU-Kamikazie
hte best thing to do is add a Creative Commons lisense found here: http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/meet-the-licenses

I dont believe they are too expensive, but only recommend it if its somethin that you knoe people will ripoff.