FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Phase One: Arcanum Vitae

Tex_Arcana
Okay, I've had my hosting a while and yesterday decided to I should at least put SOMETHING up before they get tired of looking at the Frihost default index page on my site (I'm a bit rusty with my coding and this is like my first site that gave me PHP and MySQL access so I'm starting to feel noobish all over again Laughing ). Anyway, after working all night Saterday night, I sat down Sunday morning and went to work. I downloaded an XHTML template (this is just temporary, I plan to finish up my own layout soon) from www.oswd.org/ (tons of free templates that are XHTML/CSS valid) and lined up the PHP scripts for a forum, a blog, and a chat.

After editing the HTML files with a bit of text I ftped it up to my site and that went well. Then the nightmare began as I struggled with each of the scripts to get them to work right. I think I went through about 3 forum scripts until I got MyBB to work, about 4 Blog scripts until I settled for Wordpress. The chat script PHPFreeChat went well except I notice that Apache seems to hold the UID and GID instead of me so I'm having problems modifiying the index.php so if I don't get that fixed I'll be looking for something else.

This pretty much took me all day on Sunday (and I had to work Sunday night as well) so everything is still looking just a little "default" if you know what I mean, but at least I have SomeThing up now. It was really educational for me (at least I learned that I need more sleep).

So here is my preview of the site. http://www.arcanumvitae.frih.net/ If anyone is familiar with MyBB, WordPress, or PHPFreeChat and have some suggestions, or just some relavent comments or questions on anything at all, I'll be glad to see them. Like I said everything is still pretty much default right now but I will get around to fixxing everything up and modifying them to match my own XHTML theme (not the one up now). It just might take me a little longer. I just found out they need me to work on my one day off this week (looks like I'll never get caught up on my sleep . Crying or Very sad
riv
Heh, that's nice and interesting (not to mention well-written) writing on your site. You should write a novel or something. I would definitely like to read your works.

Oh, and besides the text, the blog is inaccessable, the forum is... A forum. And the link to the chat doesn't point anywhere. (It points to "#", to be exact.)
Tex_Arcana
riv wrote:
Heh, that's nice and interesting (not to mention well-written) writing on your site. You should write a novel or something. I would definitely like to read your works.

Oh, and besides the text, the blog is inaccessable, the forum is... A forum. And the link to the chat doesn't point anywhere. (It points to "#", to be exact.)

A little earlier I tried to check things out and the server was busy. Anyway thanks for the comment on the writting. This is a personal web site. Kinda my home on the web so I'm trying to keep the writing style informal like the way I'd speak with you if you were to visit me at my own home (with less profanity maybe). As for the forum blog and chat. Yeah I said they were a bit on the "default" side. I got to sleep sometime. Thios week is going to be shot though so folks will get a chance to check out Phase I for a while (I'm working the full week at night plus Two VA appointments, geez the fun never ends).

Oh I did check out the source while there and all the links look good and proper. The only "#" links are to the thre tabs up top that are labeled U/C for Under Construction. The forum, blog and chat links are in the sub menu on the index (Introduction) page.