FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RESOLVED] IE problem

manumiglani
Well I basically I use mozilla firefox to browse the web. But to listen online music I use Internet Explorer 6.0 due to compatibility issues.

But when i type the site name such as frihost and press ctrl+enter the browser try to do automatic search search for the term frihost at msn search instead of going to the url http://www.frihost.com. But ctrl+enter produced the desired results in firefox.

ctrl button is working perfectly fine. I am using windows xp.

what could be the problem? any possible solutions ?
alienjones
The simple problem is, that firefox isn't internet explorer.
Shortcuts on one program may have a complete other or even no function on another program. To me it seems like on the shortcut <ctrl+enter> Firefox checks the text in the adressbar against the visited website history for matches. IE simply doesn't support this handy feature...

So in IE just type frihost.com <enter> and your Bill Gates will open the desired website for you Wink
manumiglani
alienjones wrote:
The simple problem is, that firefox isn't internet explorer.
Shortcuts on one program may have a complete other or even no function on another program. To me it seems like on the shortcut <ctrl+enter> Firefox checks the text in the adressbar against the visited website history for matches. IE simply doesn't support this handy feature...

So in IE just type frihost.com <enter> and your Bill Gates will open the desired website for you Wink

hah what a answer........... IE also have the ability to do that. infact I always use this shortcut in IE, but for some days its not working.
orno
hmm...maybe something deleted the registry key thats responsible for this (windows update maybe?)

lookie here: http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/09/09/227502.aspx
Bones
I find I can actually type in the url faster than using ctrl-enter...you save a whopping 3 keystrokes!!!
ben.lastname
manumiglani,

Before FireFox I used this feature in IE quite often. Ctrl + Enter would ALWAYS add a www. .com to address bar. I have no idea why this key combo doesn't work for you. Although I hate to avoid the issue altogether here is what I really think:

Why use the IE application directly when you could use the IE Tab extension for FireFox. That way you are rendering with IE but you don't have to run two apps at once and you don't have to worry about your shortcut keys not working in IE.
manumiglani
ben.lastname wrote:
manumiglani,

Before FireFox I used this feature in IE quite often. Ctrl + Enter would ALWAYS add a www. .com to address bar. I have no idea why this key combo doesn't work for you. Although I hate to avoid the issue altogether here is what I really think:

Why use the IE application directly when you could use the IE Tab extension for FireFox. That way you are rendering with IE but you don't have to run two apps at once and you don't have to worry about your shortcut keys not working in IE.

Thanks ben.lastname, I will certainly give it a try. Also, does this extention works under linux as well ?
tamilchild
Simply reinstall your IE with latest updates...
manumiglani
There was a problem with windows registry........ I scanned with a registry cleaner and its working fine now.
orno
well then thats that

problem resolved, topic is -close-d