FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replace the 404 ERROR PAGE

Scorpio
Code:
Error 404 - File not Found.

The requested url/filename could not be located on this server.

This is a very annoying message that is not appealing nor helping your visitor, and when visitors don't like what they see they leave...

This is what you can do to improve it... make your own Error 404 page and provide useful help for the visitor to carry on navigating through your site.

Now this is how to replace your error file with the default one.

On your sever in the web site root folder there is a file ".htaccess", all you need to do is to add the following line to the file.

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.domainname.com/filename.html

Replace the path of the filename.html with the path to your own error 404 file.

This is a tutorial to put your custom page instead of the error page
arch23
thanks!
Blaster
Its simpler then that. Just go to your public_html folder and make a page entilted 404.shtml and edit that Very Happy
heady233
Blaster wrote:
Its simpler then that. Just go to your public_html folder and make a page entilted 404.shtml and edit that Very Happy
It's actually simpler than that, if you use DA go to Advanced Features and click Custom Error Pages, then edit those and you've made your pages.
Blaster
Yea you could do that too. Very Happy
k_s_baskar
Thanks for u'r information. I want to make custom error page for my wap site.
i.e. if some body access my wap site from explorer or anyother browser, it should show my own error page that the site can be accessed only from wap device such as mobile phone. can anybody tell me the procedure to do so?

thanks
Scorpio
Blaster wrote:
Yea you could do that too. Very Happy

This applies only if you use DA i guess.

Let the others have some fun

DA is customizable.

But if you are not using it
this is the general procedure.

Anyway it is one damn line of code Wink
Blaster
Its quite simple. Just log into your DirectAdmin and go to advanced features down the bottam. Click on custom error pages. Then go to the one you want like 404 500 what ever. Click it and do the html for it. If you have it imaged based just upload it to the public_html folder and rename it to the error you want like 404 500 ect .shtml. So it will look like

404.shtml Very Happy
Scorpio
Blaster wrote:
Its quite simple. Just log into your DirectAdmin and go to advanced features down the bottam. Click on custom error pages. Then go to the one you want like 404 500 what ever. Click it and do the html for it. If you have it imaged based just upload it to the public_html folder and rename it to the error you want like 404 500 ect .shtml. So it will look like

404.shtml Very Happy

Thats too difficult.

I am sticking with this ..

YAY to my tutorial Very Happy
Blaster
Its actually really easy. I don't use .htaccess that is why i dont' like that. Its really simple.
Scorpio
Blaster wrote:
Its actually really easy. I don't use .htaccess that is why i dont' like that. Its really simple.

OK.

I get the point