FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hayao Miyazaki

Which of the following Miyazakian flick is the best?
Howls Moving Castle
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Spirited Away
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Porco Rosso
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Princess Mononoke
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
My Neighbor Totoro
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

serazat
I watched a couple of Miyazakian movies. I wonder what other people think on which one is better?You can add your personal favorites. That would be good to to choose the next movie I will see by him.
urbanbuddha
If you LOVE/ADORE Hayao Miyazaki's films you better watch Grave of the Fireflies!!!! I swear it'll make any person cry! I showed it during my office hours for my anime clubs and those that stuck to watch it shed a tear, or looked like they were emotionally holding them back lol.
On the same note, there is also a live action japanese drama of the same story. It's about 3.5 hours long though O_O

As well there's Kiki's Delievery Service. It's a nice watch, especially if you enjoyed Miyazaki's other films. Where you'll appreciate his art perspective, animation quality and architectual design.
shinnoyami
I really adored The Cat Returns <3
I REALLY want to see howl's moving castle, and i hope studio ghibli is making more movies

i liked all their movies, my least favorite though, is nausicaa and the valey of the wind.. it was too slow, i find.
TeK
I loved Mononoke hime. My second fav. was Nausicaa
sentinela
Personally i just love all the movies!!!!!

i am an afficionated of myasaki.

but the one i think touched me the most was my nerighbour totoro.... it is different from all....

spirited away and mononuke are also fantastic...... the one i think that isn't as good as that is porco rosso....

just my opinion....
THELAW
Saying how you missed alot of his movies but from the list i would have to say Princess Mononoke is the best on their. Personally i saw each one of his movies and own them all also. They are extroadinary for a japanese anime producer that made most of them in the 80's
serazat
urbanbuddha wrote:
If you LOVE/ADORE Hayao Miyazaki's films you better watch Grave of the Fireflies!!!! I swear it'll make any person cry! I showed it during my office hours for my anime clubs and those that stuck to watch it shed a tear, or looked like they were emotionally holding them back lol.
On the same note, there is also a live action japanese drama of the same story. It's about 3.5 hours long though O_O

As well there's Kiki's Delievery Service. It's a nice watch, especially if you enjoyed Miyazaki's other films. Where you'll appreciate his art perspective, animation quality and architectual design.

I saw Grave of The Fireflies too but though it looks really gritty real I did not love it as much as I loved other Miyazakian movies besides Grave of the Fireflies is Isao Takahata production.thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Schmarvin
Wow...alot of people watched and like Princess Mononoke. I watched it as well, along with Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.

But the other two I have never heard of. Hmm...I guess I should look for them.

Overall, the storylines of Miyazaki have really made him famous. I do believe. As for Kiki's Delivery Service, its a nice little children's movie. I recommend buying any of Hayao Miyazaki's movies though. They have a nice climax in them. Plus, which all of the characters and action in them, you won't be bored.
jasmine
Hayao Miyazaki films are very ... emotional... you feel connected to the movie and feel some emotion afterwards. Very Happy

Especially with Grave of the Fireflies. I was mad and sad at the same time. Sad because of what happened to the siblings. I was mad because of the grievances caused by the war.
squeakypants
Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animes, and movies, I've ever seen. I've only seen a few others of his.
blaik2k4
i personally liked whisper of the heart it had a really touching storyline although when it was dubbed a very important line was changed at the end. in the japanese version he proposes marriage but in the english version he says maybe after hs we can get married. that is a big difference and i wish i knew why they would dumb a line down like that.

i saw return of the cat it was a good story all the way threw i thoughjt i was going to burt when the cat king first says "yo"

i think ive seen all the films he relesed although i didnt like porco roso or moninoke hime much.

i hear there is a new big one comming out soon. has anyone else heard?
serazat
shinnoyami wrote:
I really adored The Cat Returns <3
I REALLY want to see howl's moving castle, and i hope studio ghibli is making more movies

i liked all their movies, my least favorite though, is nausicaa and the valey of the wind.. it was too slow, i find.

I heard about the cat returns in Whisper of the Heart. If you have seen it the leading heroine Shizuku meets unwonted little curiousity shop by chance she finds a a cat figurine there. This cat figurine led to the creation of the cat returns later. I have this cat returns in my collection too but I havent seen it yet.
serazat
jasmine wrote:
Hayao Miyazaki films are very ... emotional... you feel connected to the movie and feel some emotion afterwards. Very Happy

Especially with Grave of the Fireflies. I was mad and sad at the same time. Sad because of what happened to the siblings. I was mad because of the grievances caused by the war.

Grave of the Fireflies written and directed by Isao Takahata for Studio Ghibli but it's not exactly a Miyazakian anime. but of course it has tissue of Miyazakian efforts though.
serazat
blaik2k4 wrote:
i personally liked whisper of the heart it had a really touching storyline although when it was dubbed a very important line was changed at the end. in the japanese version he proposes marriage but in the english version he says maybe after hs we can get married. that is a big difference and i wish i knew why they would dumb a line down like that.

i saw return of the cat it was a good story all the way threw i thoughjt i was going to burt when the cat king first says "yo"

i think ive seen all the films he relesed although i didnt like porco roso or moninoke hime much.

i hear there is a new big one comming out soon. has anyone else heard?

porco rosso maybe the only miyazakian anime that I did not really like
CMA
Haven't watched Howl's Moving Castle yet, though I have the DVD sitting around in my room. So, for now, I'd have to say Princess Mononoke.

Grave of the Fireflies was also good, but not enough to affect me emotionally. Not after all the other drama anime I saw. Rolling Eyes
Scaramanga
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Miyazaki. I find his films, while charming the first time, lose a lot of the luster very easily. The only two exceptions to this IMO are Totoro and Nausicaa, the latter of which really seems to withstand the test of time.

serazat wrote:
jasmine wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies written and directed by Isao Takahata for Studio Ghibli but it's not exactly a Miyazakian anime. but of course it has tissue of Miyazakian efforts though.

Speaking of Isao Takahata, I'd really recommend people go out and see/rent/buy Only Yesterday (of which Miyazaki was the producer, like most Studio Ghibli films.) It is by far, superior to most of Miyazaki's films, and without relying on all the fanciful elements that Miyazaki tends to use as a crutch for actual story.
walrus
My favorite is Tonari no Totoro. The two girls in the movie are really cute, but not in that overly sweet way. The way the movie plays with nature and supernatural things is a lot of fun. It's strange and wonderful!

A while ago I went to the Ghibli Museum and was very disappointed to find out the I was too old to play on the giant Cat Bus...
justjess
urbanbuddha wrote:

My favorite films by Hayao Miyazaki are Whisper of the Heart and Kiki's Delivery Service. I adore the way Miyazaki directs his films--and he always comes up with such original ideas! I'm jealous. Very Happy

I also really enjoyed Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't believe that it is one of Hayao Miyazaki's films.
kemosabi107
This beautiful man has brought us so many great memories and he's not done yet! What are your favorite movies of his? Mine:

1. Princess Mononoke (first film of his that I saw, hooked ever since)
2. Howl's Moving Castle (he could've surely ended on this note and I woulda been happy, but hey, more power to him)
3. Totoro (the classic that still fits right in with his lastest work)
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Spirited Away

Still have a few more to see, but this is how my list stands now. Of course all his films are amazing, and it's hard to pick my top favorites... Kiki's Delivery Service probably also deserves to be somewhere high up on my list. Now the more I think about the other ones I've seen, the more doubts I'm having, arg. Anyway, what's your lists?
lordfrikk
I unfortunately saw only Howl's Moving Castle, but even though I was amazed at his skill and feeling that this movies has. I guess I'll have to come over to my friend who has lot of his movies and then I'll compare which is the best. Hope that HMC is the worst, because I wanna see more of his art! Wink
Traveller
kemosabi107 wrote:
This beautiful man has brought us so many great memories and he's not done yet! What are your favorite movies of his?

This is something that already had started a pretty good discussion in an earlier thread so, before anyone unnecessarily repeats material from that thread, I have just merged the two together.
ddukki
I haven't seen all of the above movies, but I DO admire Miyazaki and his works. They're so deep and really enjoyable. I don't think I've ever NOT liked one of his movies. In fact, I think he's one of the best Japanese film makers out there.
Serafina
I actually really like all of those movies that you listed. I'm a big Miyazaki fan. : B

However, if I had to choose my favorites they would be Mononoke Hime and Nausica(sp?). He's just a really great storyteller and his movies are all really emotional.
jasmine
I want to find the movie made my Hayao Miyazaki's son! What's the title again? Tale of the Earthsea? Very Happy