FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Win xp handling over 2gb of memory

Synaesthetik
Hi guys, im a little uninformed about hardware, so i have been looking into wat would be best suited to run cubase sx (music production software) and i recently read that xp has problems running over 2GB of ram, can anyone verify or add additional information to this?
brad31337
I'm not sure about the OS having problems, however I have heard that addressing this amount of RAM will cause your processor to perform slower as there is so much to address. Having said that I know people on laptops and desktops who have 2Gb...
Rocky3478
If I understand you correctly, I believe that you are talking about the memory switch within XP. It has to be "turned" on for XP to recognize more then 2Gb of RAM.
Synaesthetik
hmm... so it can handle more then 2GB but the processing speed will suffer? does that mean optimum performance is reached at 2GB of ram?
Just for my general knowledge, and for possible future, how do i "turn on" the memory switch?
psycosquirrel
I don't know anything about XP, but it will be either a bios setting, a mobo jumper, or some obscure winblows option. In theory, more than 2Gb of RAM should not really hinder the CPU; most modern CPUs can eat tons of RAM without problem.

In terms of 3DMark scores, the optimal RAM amount is 1Gb. But we all know test scores generally mean little when gaming or otherwise.
brad31337
psycosquirrel wrote:
In terms of 3DMark scores, the optimal RAM amount is 1Gb. But we all know test scores generally mean little when gaming or otherwise.

This really depends on the difference your getting betweens scores doesnt it. I mean say it was 1000 marks difference, you'd notice it in gaming that it was slower.
Synaesthetik
As in my first post, its sole use is going to be music production, i wouldnt spend soo much money on a new computer if it was to play games (just not my thing i spose)
TheGeek
I have heard nothing about a memory problem in XP other than the whole thing about XP not liking over 130GB on a single drive letter (why i like linux). As far as RAM goes its probably a Jumper or BIOS setting like Psyco said, though i dont know why they would do that...except for efficiency reasons if there are any. I dont know why you would need over 2GB of RAM though to run music software, I run music software recording on my old P3 with 256MB of RAM just fine. But if you really want to get more than 2GB of RAM feel free, but it might be worth your time learning your way around linux or Mac OSX for purposes of music recording and editing simply because i know OSX has some nice software built in and has a nice user interface for that sorta stuff and Linux doesn't have a problem doing pretty much anything you throw at it other than the fact that some stuff just simply cant run on it cuz its mad for MS.

Either way, i still dont see why you need over 2GB but more power to you if you can afford that much.
lukeropro
a 2gb ram may cause your processor to run slowly but maybe you can upgrade your processor and motherboard...
DecayClan
You can have more than 2GB of ram, with no problem.Just make sure that your motherboard can handle them(read the manual, somewhere it says the maximum possible ram).And also make sure that you have at least Service pack 2(it would be better, if you also had all the updates).And you will have no problem.The speed will drop almost unnoticably...Only games will suffer more.Its the same thing with having huge cpu Cache.Computer needs more time, in order to find the parameter that it is looking for.But for applications, especially Heavy aplications, which use huge amount of ram, it really worths it.For video editing, i have a pc with 4GB of ram, so believe me, windows CAN handle more than 2GB of ram... lol(what a stupid rumor).Except from that, well, imagine the servers, that have 16GB+ram...running windows XP server edition...
djclue917
DecayClan wrote:
You can have more than 2GB of ram, with no problem.Just make sure that your motherboard can handle them(read the manual, somewhere it says the maximum possible ram).And also make sure that you have at least Service pack 2(it would be better, if you also had all the updates).And you will have no problem.The speed will drop almost unnoticably...Only games will suffer more.Its the same thing with having huge cpu Cache.Computer needs more time, in order to find the parameter that it is looking for.But for applications, especially Heavy aplications, which use huge amount of ram, it really worths it.For video editing, i have a pc with 4GB of ram, so believe me, windows CAN handle more than 2GB of ram... lol(what a stupid rumor).Except from that, well, imagine the servers, that have 16GB+ram...running windows XP server edition...

Just a thought... 32-bit systems can have a maximum RAM of 2^32 bytes. That is 4GB of RAM. While 64-bit systems can have a maximum RAM of 2^64 bytes. That is equivalent to a whopping 16,777,216 Terabytes of RAM.