FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guess the term -- Back in Business!!!

bladesage
Hello, I hope you all know something about science, because I have an interesting contest for you!

For anyone who can guess the scientific term I describe, I will donate 5 frih$. It may not sound like a lot, but I plan to do many terms here, so it adds up for me!

The first definition is:

"The paired cavities containing each eye."

A bit easy I know, but it's a start. Once again, NO CHEATING!!
Xcelerate
Umm... eye sockets? Or did you mean more technical than that?
bladesage
Xcelerate wrote:
Umm... eye sockets? Or did you mean more technical than that?

Yes, I meant more technical than that. As in "The ________ Cavities"
Animal
The Ocular Cavities
bladesage
Not quite, it does start with an "O" though.
n0obie4life
Olfaction, olfactory.
bladesage
n0obie4life wrote:
Olfaction, olfactory.

The olfactory is the 1st cranial nerve, responsible for the sense of smell.
choeirule
is it " Nasal Cavity" ? no, its the nose part
or is it "Ethmoid cavity" ?

well i dont know either, or is it?
Traveller
eyeBALLS, ergo ORBital cavities.
bladesage
choeirule wrote:
is it " Nasal Cavity" ? no, its the nose part
or is it "Ethmoid cavity" ?

well i dont know either, or is it?

I said it started with an "O"
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
eyeBALLS, ergo ORBital cavities.

YES!!! Orbital is the answer! You are on a roll today!
bladesage
Okay, the next one is:

"The study and practice of treating tumors."

Hint: Also begins with an "O"
Traveller
Oncology
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
Oncology

Correct! Again!!

Next definition:

"A prefix denoting the jaw."

Hopefully at least a little bit trickier.

If not, I'll have to ditch Anatomical terms for a while Wink.
Traveller
Hmmm...perhaps a little more specific? If I'm in the right ballpark, lower would be "mandibula(r)" and upper would be "maxilla(r)."
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
Hmmm...perhaps a little more specific? If I'm in the right ballpark, lower would be "mandibula(r)" and upper would be "maxilla(r)."

Not quite, just the jaw in general. It starts with a "G."

Example:

"G____oplasty: Plastic surgery of the jaw."
Traveller
bladesage wrote:

Hmmm. Not sure about plastic surgery. "Maxillofacial" surgery is what really comes to mind. I think you've got me on this one.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Hmmm. Not sure about plastic surgery. "Maxillofacial" surgery is what really comes to mind. I think you've got me on this one.

Well, that one wasn't quite fair. I looked it up at random in a medical dictionary. It was "Gnath-", I'll just do a different one. It doesn't seem fair to make you guess it.

Next:

"A temporary incision or excision into the female Perineum."
bogger
I can think of no reply to that that's clean..... Razz
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
I'll just do a different one. It doesn't seem fair to make you guess it.

Even though I happened to get the first couple of them, other people may still be playing. Please don't toss it out THAT quickly! LOL!

bladesage wrote:
"A temporary incision or excision into the female Perineum."

Not a clue, here. Now you've moved into terms that are more specialized and less likely to be known or deduced by someone outside the specific field. Again, though, don't just bag it quite yet. Give people a little time.
Scorpio
Is it urethrotomy or urethrostomy?
bladesage
This one begins with an "E" and ends with the suffix "-otomy"
alkady
Oh, I learn that in Biology last year, I think it called a Epesiotomy something like that, I can't remember how to spell it.
bladesage
alkady wrote:
Oh, I learn that in Biology last year, I think it called a Epesiotomy something like that, I can't remember how to spell it.

Yes (besides the spelling), Episiotomy is correct!

Next:

"The microscopic differences between any given fingerprint and its typical type."

(Forensics this time)
RaMo
whats it start wuith?? a clue it is pretty hard.
bladesage
RaMo wrote:
whats it start wuith?? a clue it is pretty hard.

It begins with an "M" this time.
RaMo
microscopic.? Razz Razz Razz lol Razz
Traveller
It's probably "micro"-something, and a difference is often called a "delta," so my guess is microdeltas.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
It's probably "micro"-something, and a difference is often called a "delta," so my guess is microdeltas.

Not quite...let me know when to give out the answer.
RaMo
its those little lines on ur finger... but what are they called Very Happy
bladesage
RaMo wrote:
its those little lines on ur finger... but what are they called Very Happy

They're called ridges, but that's not the answer.
RaMo
Microridges ?? lol Very Happy
bladesage
Well, like I said, let me know when to give away the answer...

Last hint: Tiny, microscopic differences. The keyword here is minute. That in itself isn't the answer, but it's a good hint.
RaMo
Matsumoto
??

if not ahh i give up
dunno bout othres
Scorpio
RaMo wrote:
Matsumoto
??

if not ahh i give up
dunno bout othres

Better give the answer.

Only traveller seems to be able to get the answers here/

Anyway what did you mean by "without cheating"? Smile
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
RaMo wrote:
Matsumoto
??

if not ahh i give up
dunno bout othres

Better give the answer.

Only traveller seems to be able to get the answers here/

Anyway what did you mean by "without cheating"? Smile

No clue, but you never know. People can find a way to cheat at anything.

Whatever. The word was "minutiae" [min-oo-shuh]

Next word is:

"The phylum that humans, and most other vertebrates, belong to."
Scorpio
Phylum: Chordata

Sub Phylum: Vertrebrata
bladesage
Yes!

Next term:

"The tissue (full name) that supports the skin."

Hint: 3 words
Scorpio
Is it the Dermis?

the epidermis is the top most layer below which you can find the dermis below which the adipose tissue is found..
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Is it the Dermis?

the epidermis is the top most layer below which you can find the dermis below which the adipose tissue is found..

Well, I'm not talking about layers of skin, I'm talking about the actual scientific name of the general epithealial tissue that supports the bottom-most layer of the skin. It's three words.

L_______ S_______________ A_______
Traveller
bladesage wrote:

Lysergic Acid...no...that's something else. Laughing
Scorpio
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Lysergic Acid...no...that's something else. Laughing

@Traveller: Were you about to say Lysergic Acid Diethylamide

That was the first thing that came to my mind too.
Scorpio
I give up.

It may be easy, but not for me ...
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
I give up.

It may be easy, but not for me ...

Don't worry, it's not easy Wink. But this is one I actually did know.

Loose Subcutaneous Areolar.

Next word:

"A suffix denoting a lack or shortage of."

Hint: None just yet, I'll have to see if anyone can guess it. This one may be fairly easy Razz.
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
"A suffix denoting a lack of."

"-less"
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:
"A suffix denoting a lack of."

"-less"

I fixed it up. I worded it wrong. It's supposed to be "As suffix denoting a lack or shortage of."
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
I fixed it up. I worded it wrong. It's supposed to be "As suffix denoting a lack or shortage of."

"-lessness"
Scorpio
I guess thats right Sad
bladesage
Hint: "-e___"
bladesage
Hint #2: Commonly associated with the prefix "leuk-"
Scorpio
emia?
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
emia?

YES!!

Next:

"The major veins leading to the arms."

Hint: Begins with an "S"
Scorpio
Superior vena cava
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Superior vena cava

Not quite, that's the one that leads upward directly out of the heart. It connects through another vein to the correct one, though.
Scorpio
subclavian veins
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
scorpio wrote:
emia?

YES!!

Sorry, but NO!! the suffix "-emia" or "-aeima" means "pertaining to blood," and is from the Greek, "haima" which means "blood." That is why someone who has "anemia" appears to be "without blood" ("an" = a prefix for "without").

The reason why the suffix "-emia" is associate with the prefix "leuk-" is because "leuk" means "white" (from the Greek, "leukos"), and because the condition known as "leukemia" is an abnormality of the white ("leuk-") blood ("-emia") cells.
Traveller
bladesage wrote:

bladesage wrote:
scorpio wrote:
Superior vena cava

Not quite, that's the one that leads upward directly out of the heart. It connects through another vein to the correct one, though.

Hmmm...First off: there are NO veins that lead TO the arms. The veins lead AWAY from the arms (or wherever) and to the heart. So, this could be a trick question.

Then again, since the major veins of the arm are the brachial, cephalic, and basilic, (which empty into the axillary which, only then, leads to the subclavian), it could be just an improperly researched question.
Scorpio
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:

bladesage wrote:
scorpio wrote:
Superior vena cava

Hmmm...First off: there are NO veins that lead TO the arms. The veins lead AWAY from the arms (or wherever) and to the heart. So, this could be a trick question.

Then again, since the major veins of the arm are the brachial, cephalic, and basilic, (which empty into the axillary which, only then, leads to the subclavian), it could be just an improperly researched question.

I am inclined to agree with you..

He gave the point that it is a suffix of leuk---
emia is probably the only one fitting the cue.

The next one, I found was indeed tricky.

What you say is right.

But i imagined that his question was worded wrongly.
Traveller
scorpio wrote:
I am inclined to agree with you..

Thanks. I was hoping neither of you would take it the wrong way. By no means do I claim to be an expert on these things, but we just happened to hit a couple that I knew and could support.

In all fairness: after posting, I did some looking around, and found http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/Circulation.html, which shows a picture that makes it look as though the subclavian vein goes to the arm. The point at which the label line connects with the vein in the diagram IS the subclavian vein, but the diagram does not show the further division, where the arm veins join the axillary (i.e. "underarm") vein, which then joins the subclavian (i.e. "under-the-collarbone") vein. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subclavian_vein) gives more-detailed information.
Scorpio
He asked which was the most important vein.

Since the brachial and other veins branch out from the sub clavian(indirectly) i think that would be the best answer.

Though my knowledge of biology is virtually nil.

I just try and remember what i learnt
Traveller
scorpio wrote:
He asked which was the most important vein.

Since the brachial and other veins branch out from the sub clavian(indirectly) i think that would be the best answer.

Actually, his exact statement was, "The major veins leading to the arms," so I guess you're right, there, although we still have the problem that all veins lead TO the heart, since they carry the "used" blood back so it can be given more oxygen. Still, that's just a matter of semantics and, in a more general sense, one could say that the subclavian lead "to" the arms.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:
scorpio wrote:
emia?

YES!!

Sorry, but NO!! the suffix "-emia" or "-aeima" means "pertaining to blood," and is from the Greek, "haima" which means "blood." That is why someone who has "anemia" appears to be "without blood" ("an" = a prefix for "without").

The reason why the suffix "-emia" is associate with the prefix "leuk-" is because "leuk" means "white" (from the Greek, "leukos"), and because the condition known as "leukemia" is an abnormality of the white ("leuk-") blood ("-emia") cells.

Bantam Revised Medical Dictionary wrote:

-emia

1. Suffix denoting a specialized condition of the blood. 2. Suffix denoting a lack or shortage of.

There, in plain English.
bladesage
Just because the veins' function is to return blood to the heart, doesn't mean that they don't go into their particular body part to get it.
Scorpio
bladesage wrote:
Just because the veins' function is to return blood to the heart, doesn't mean that they don't go into their particular body part to get it.

Errr. Was my answer right?
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
subclavian veins

Yes, that's right! Sorry, I didn't even notice it there.

Next:

"The rarest blood type."

This is a small combination of Anatomy and Forensics, and a pretty easy one.

Hint: I'm of course refering to ABO blood-typing
Scorpio
If it is the ABO Blood group system, Is it the B allele.?

Or the AB Negative blood group?
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
If it is the ABO Blood group system, Is it the B allele.?

Or the AB Negative blood group?

Yes, it's AB-

(Because it's two dominant genes. O+ is the most common, although it's a recesseive gene. Anyting negative is more rare than anything positive, because almost everyone has the "D atibodies")

Next:

"The phylum that all jellyfish, coral, and sea anemones belong to."
Scorpio
Cnidaria I think..

Happened to read it 2 years ago.
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Cnidaria I think..

Happened to read it 2 years ago.

Yes, correct!

All Medusa and Polyps come from the phylum Cnidaria. Medusa are mostly jellyfish, and polyps are coral, and sea anemones.

Next:

"The scientific term for the umbilical cord."
Scorpio
Funis?
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Funis?

Hint: Begins with an "A"
Animal
allantois?
bladesage
Animal wrote:
allantois?

Yes, allontois is correct!

Next:

"The organ in the body, whose purpose is absolutely nothing (scientific name)."

Hint: Begins with a "C"
DeFwh
cervix maybe(im probably wrong)
thpn
how about the coccyx?
bladesage
thpn wrote:
how about the coccyx?

That's a bone, but keep trying!

Hint: Another word for appendix

You may have figured out that part already.
Traveller
caecum? Actually, I think the appendix comes FROM the caecum, but that's the closest I can come.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
caecum? Actually, I think the appendix comes FROM the caecum, but that's the closest I can come.

HUGE hint: You're only one letter off (one too many).
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Spelling variant: cecum

"color"/"colour" type of thing.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Spelling variant: cecum

"color"/"colour" type of thing.

Correct! And, an excellent point. Sorry about that, I entirely overlooked that fact.

Next:

"The system of the body, that's purpose is to mainly produce certain leukocytes, help filter out the blood, and store the vicious blasts."
Traveller
Hmmm...Overall, the hemal system, but more specifically, some may be from the lymphatic system. Not sure of any more detail than that.
DeFwh
yes it would be the lymphatic system but more specifically it deals with the kidney and the actual lymphocytes that would filter the blood.
DeFwh
sorry for the double but the cecum is part of the small intestines and is about 1.5 is not the appendix.

The appendix(or vermiform appendix) is about 10cm in length branching off the cecum.

Wikipedia wrote:
In human anatomy, the vermiform appendix (or appendix, pl. appendixes or "appendices") is a blind ended tube connected to the cecum ('caecum' in British English). It develops embryologically from the cecum.
bladesage
DeFwh wrote:
sorry for the double but the cecum is part of the small intestines and is about 1.5 is not the appendix.

The appendix(or vermiform appendix) is about 10cm in length branching off the cecum.

Wikipedia wrote:
In human anatomy, the vermiform appendix (or appendix, pl. appendixes or "appendices") is a blind ended tube connected to the cecum ('caecum' in British English). It develops embryologically from the cecum.

I could care less what Wikipedia says. My Anatomy teacher said several times, that the cecum is another name for the appendix. It's quite simply the direct result of the small intestine connecting to the illium. It connects overlapping the illium's entrance at one end, producing a hollow bulb at the merging site. It sometimes gets filled with feces, and risks bursting.

But lymphatic system is the answer to the last one.

Next:

"The name given to the young, premature erythrocytes, prior to their further development and maturing."

Hint: Begins with an "R"
Scorpio
Reticulocytes
DeFwh
bladesage if you read the wikipedia thing u would under stand that ur teacher is generalizing and that technically the appendix is grown off of the cecum there for part of it but scientifically the cecum is still one part but what do i know being in ap biology and anatomy and phisology and what not

im might become noobie4life if i aint careful "got posts!"
Traveller
DeFwh wrote:
bladesage if you read the wikipedia thing u would under stand that ur teacher is generalizing and that technically the appendix is grown off of the cecum there for part of it but scientifically the cecum is still one part...

Agreed. That's why, when I entered my guess, I said, "the appendix comes FROM the caecum." Likewise, I suspect that an investigation of our earlier discussion of "-emia" would reveal that the meaning "suffix denoting a lack or shortage of" probably has developed from relatively recent usage, and has nothing to do with the actual meaning of the suffix. I have not been able to find any other references to that definition, nor any concrete examples. Of course, for the purposes of this game, I will accept that definition, but I doubt that it would be very frequently encountered versus the standard, Greek-derived definition.
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Reticulocytes

Yes, that's exactly correct!

Next:

"The tissue that supports inner organs, similar in consistency to the elastic tissue supporting the ear."

Hint: It's NOT adipose.

As far as the whole cecum thing, let's just forget it. I just don't like Wikipedia at all. Besides, we were all correct in a certain aspect.
thpn
Possibly cartilage? That's not too scientific of an answer so it's probally wrong, but at least I tried!
Scorpio
Either tha cartilage(as thpn said) or the epithelial tissue>>>>>
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Either tha cartilage(as thpn said) or the epithelial tissue>>>>>

Epithelial is a group of tissues. The one I'm looking for is a connective tissue.

Hint: Begins with an "H"
bladesage
Well, since nobody's gotten this one, I'm giving out the answer.

Hyaline.

Next:

"A prefix denoting the nose."

Hint: Not "naso-"
Traveller
"Rhino"
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
"Rhino"

Yes, rhino- is the answer!

Example: Rhinoplasty; a plastic surgery of the nose.

Next one:

"The older Air Force term for navigating through the world."

Hint: I believe this term was created in the late 1800's-early 1900's era.
Don't know for sure, since I lost the book a few years back.
Traveller
bladesage wrote:

Well, if it was from the Air Force, it could not have been before the 1903 invention of the airplane nor the 1907 creation of the first predecessor to the Air Force (which, itself, was created under that specific name in 1947).

That said, the only term that comes to mind is much older, from seafaring days, and that is "circumnavigation," which is really navigating AROUND the world.
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Well, if it was from the Air Force, it could not have been before the 1903 invention of the airplane nor the 1907 creation of the first predecessor to the Air Force (which, itself, was created under that specific name in 1947).

That said, the only term that comes to mind is much older, from seafaring days, and that is "circumnavigation," which is really navigating AROUND the world.

Yes, that's correct! I found the book, too. I tossed it under my bed, it's SOOO boring. But the time-line is correct. You'd think I would know more about the Air Force, since my dad served in it for 20 years, and never shut up about it (not that I mind).

Next word:
"A bone fracture consisting of several breaks in the affected bone."

No hints yet.
Traveller
"Comminuted"
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
"Comminuted"

Yes!

"The 7th of the 12 Cranial Nerves."
Traveller
No idea, this time - certainly not by numbers!
Scorpio
It is the Facial Cranial Nerve controlling the facial expressions
thpn
Ahhhhhhhh! The only one I know and I don't get it. I just learned all the Cranial Nerves last week!
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
It is the Facial Cranial Nerve controlling the facial expressions

Yes, that's right. I apparently forgot to post that.

Next:

"The medical condition, in which uric acid crystals build up in joints."
Traveller
Gout?
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
Gout?

Yes, it is gout.

Next:

"The tissue that forms the tendons and ligaments."
Traveller
Connective tissue, or is that too general?
bladesage
Traveller wrote:
Connective tissue, or is that too general?

Yes, too general. I'm talking about the specific tissue name, not the tissue category. The Connective tissues category actually has 7+ tissues in it.
Scorpio
Compact Tissue?
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Compact Tissue?

Not quite, though slightly similar in definition.
Traveller
The only other one that comes to mind is "collagen."
Scorpio
I too thought of that answer, but I still doubt if it was a tissue?

Isnt it something more like collagen fibres or something>?
bladesage
It begins with a "D" this time.
AlexNet
Dense connective tissue?
bladesage
AlexNet wrote:
Dense connective tissue?

Yes, that's correct!

Next one:

"The..."

-Sorry, give me a couple minutes to think of one. My mind is somewhere far off today.
bladesage
Okay, I thought of the next one:

"The Occipital lobe and the ________________ are the parts of the brain used for vision."
AlexNet
optic nerve?
bladesage
AlexNet wrote:
optic nerve?

Not a nerve, but just a part of the brain (a lesser-known one).
AlexNet
thalamus? Or a separate section of the brain?
bladesage
AlexNet wrote:
thalamus? Or a separate section of the brain?

It begins with a "Q" for once. And it's pretty tough (or it would be to me if it weren't for Anatomy & Physiology Wink).
chizeled
I think I learned this one in Physiology, it has something to due with a state of Consciouness.
Is it qualia?
bladesage
chizeled wrote:
I think I learned this one in Physiology, it has something to due with a state of Consciouness.
Is it qualia?

Nope, not quite.

Hint: The first part is "Quad."
CyanEyed
what on earth is it? i cant find anything anywhere including medical encyclopedias!!!
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
what on earth is it? i cant find anything anywhere including medical encyclopedias!!!

Lol, sorry guys!

It's Quadrigemini.

Next:
"An oily secretion from the skin, responsible for keeping the hair and skin pliable."
CyanEyed
i know, i know.

Is it sebum?
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
i know, i know.

Is it sebum?

Yes it is!

Next:
"The scientific term for 'Dandruff'."
CyanEyed
the latin for it is

Pityriasis capitis

or just

Pityriasis

EMPHASIS ON THE FIRST 4 LETTERS PITY - what every1 feels for you when you have it

i know from experience
CyanEyed
Hello, Anybody there Question Question Question
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
Hello, Anybody there Question Question Question

Not the correct answer. It may be a proper term for it, but not what I'm looking for. It begins with a "D" this time.
CyanEyed
Is it:

Dandruff Question probably not

Dry Scalp Question slightly more likely but still not probable

Dermatitis Question Question Question thats my best guess
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
Dermatitis Question Question Question thats my best guess

Yes, that's it!

Next:
"The small strands of tissue controlling the valves of the heart."

Hint: Two words
CyanEyed
is it:

Chordae Tendineae
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
is it:

Chordae Tendineae

Darn, that one didn't even stand a chance! I'm running out of ideas here...

Next:
"Degeneration of the arteries caused by formation of fatty plaques and scar tissue within them."
CyanEyed
im pretty sure it's

Atherosclerosis
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
im pretty sure it's

Atherosclerosis

No, Atherosclerosis is too general for this. Atherosclerosis can be one of many conditions hindering the function of an artery.
DawningLight
Ummm...going to try Coronary thrombosis.
bladesage
DawningLight wrote:
Ummm...going to try Coronary thrombosis.

No, Coronary Thrombosis would be a blood clot blocking one of the vessels supplying the heart.
CyanEyed
what is it then? im stumped
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
what is it then? im stumped

I think I'll give it a little bit longer, we'll see if anyone else gets it.
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
No, Atherosclerosis is too general for this. Atherosclerosis can be one of many conditions hindering the function of an artery.
The only other one that comes to mind is arteriosclerosis, but that is even more general.
KMKM
bladesage,

is it a two letter word??
if it is i think i have the answer...

Kudos!
~KMKM
Scorpio
Dude, if you have the answer you should post here

If you dont and somebody else does they win it
bladesage
KMKM wrote:
bladesage,

is it a two letter word??
if it is i think i have the answer...

Kudos!
~KMKM

No, this one is 8 letters.
CyanEyed
is it:

Atheroma

(please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes )<---that was a silent prayer
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
is it:

Atheroma

(please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes )<---that was a silent prayer

Yes it is.

Next:
"Any operation to repair or reconstruct the eyelid."

There are two acceptable answers for this one.
CyanEyed
Blepharoplasty Question

ps. my prayer worked Smile
Scorpio
blepharoplasty?
CyanEyed
dont ask me - ask google
Scorpio
CyanEyed wrote:
dont ask me - ask google

you beat me to it..

that was a question to bladesage not you
CyanEyed
oh sorry. i thought it was because it sounded rediculous (im not a good speller)

right now ive got 9 unread emails from frihost, all of them are alerts that sum1 has responded to this thread Smile
bladesage
Well, bepharoplasty is correct.

Next:
"A pungent, volatile fluid used in dry cleaning, when swallowed or inhaled, it damages the stomach, liver, kidneys, heart, and many nerves."
Scorpio
Trichloroethylene
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
Trichloroethylene

No, not quite...

There are 2 words here.

_____________ T____________________
KMKM
carbon tetrachloride
by any chance? Confused

Kudos!
~KMKM
CyanEyed
i missed that one, i was watchin the football. france vs switzerland 0-0
bladesage
KMKM wrote:
carbon tetrachloride
by any chance? Confused

Kudos!
~KMKM

Yes!

Next: (I'm running out of ideas)
"A painless ulcer that forms at the site of an infection entering the body."
Satori
canker sore
KMKM
bladesage wrote:
KMKM wrote:
carbon tetrachloride
by any chance? Confused

Kudos!
~KMKM

Yes!

yay! where is my price???

hehe now i know i am not that bad in chemistry Wink

kudos!
~KMKM
CyanEyed
is it:

Mycobacterium ulcerans infection

aka: bairnsdale infection

Question Question Question
Scorpio
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
KMKM wrote:
carbon tetrachloride
by any chance? Confused

Kudos!
~KMKM

Yes!

kudos!
~KMKM

Dont bother with the prize bladesage, I donated 4 Frih$ to KMKM here(just a little favor)Wink

Just wait for his confirmation
bladesage
scorpio wrote:
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
KMKM wrote:
carbon tetrachloride
by any chance? Confused

Kudos!
~KMKM

Yes!

kudos!
~KMKM

Dont bother with the prize bladesage, I donated 4 Frih$ to KMKM here(just a little favor)Wink

Just wait for his confirmation

Darn, I just paid him too.
Satori
hey bladesage, what about that question:

A painless ulcer that forms at the site of an infection entering the body

were we close?

what about bed sore?
bladesage
Satori wrote:
hey bladesage, what about that question:

A painless ulcer that forms at the site of an infection entering the body

were we close?

what about bed sore?

Not quite, the closest was canker sore, but those tend to be quite painful. It does begin with a "C" though.
Satori
chancre?
bladesage
Satori wrote:
chancre?

Yes!

Next:
"A circle on the undersurface of the brain, formed by linking arteries that supply the brain."
KMKM
er.. i got donations from both scorpio and bladeseige...
whom to give back?

Kudos!
~KMKM
bladesage
KMKM wrote:
er.. i got donations from both scorpio and bladeseige...
whom to give back?

Kudos!
~KMKM

I suppose me, thanks for the honesty!
KMKM
bladesage wrote:
Satori wrote:
chancre?

Yes!

Next:
"A circle on the undersurface of the brain, formed by linking arteries that supply the brain."

hm... is it cingulum?
or is it circle of Willis

Kudos!
~KMKM
bladesage
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Satori wrote:
chancre?

Yes!

Next:

hm... is it cingulum?

Kudos!
~KMKM

Yes, it is circle of Willis!

Next:
"The occurence of one or more convulsions not caused by other conditions."
KMKM
bladesage wrote:
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Satori wrote:
chancre?

Yes!

Next:

hm... is it cingulum?

Kudos!
~KMKM

Next:

thanx for the quick reply
anyways for this
is it Eclampsia?
bladesage
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
KMKM wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Satori wrote:
chancre?

Yes!

Next:

hm... is it cingulum?

Kudos!
~KMKM

Next:

thanx for the quick reply
anyways for this
is it Eclampsia?

Yes it is (I'm REALLY running low on ideas).

Next:
"A condition in which pulmonary hypertension is associated with a septal defect, causing blood to flow from right to left in the heart, or from the pulmonary artery into the aorta."
KMKM
er...not sure on this one but is it ventricular septal defect?
bah! this one is confusing

Kudos!
~KMKM
CyanEyed
could it be:

ductus arteriosus
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
could it be:

ductus arteriosus

Nope, not quite.

It begins with a vowel.
Scorpio
atrial septal defect
charlo_blade123
are you referring to "thumbmarks"?? did i get it right??? ehheeh
bladesage
charlo_blade123 wrote:
are you referring to "thumbmarks"?? did i get it right??? ehheeh

No, it begins with a vowel.
KMKM
is it Atrial Septal Defect ??

if not... how many words is the term??

Kudos!
~KMKM
Scorpio
scorpio wrote:
atrial septal defect

Dude KMKM I posted that a couple of days ago and blade hasnt responded yet

See before you post
KMKM
scorpio wrote:
scorpio wrote:
atrial septal defect

Dude KMKM I posted that a couple of days ago and blade hasnt responded yet

See before you post

oops sorry.. but i think its correct...
letz wait for bladesage to post Wink

Kudos!
~KMKM
bladesage
No, it's two words.

And I haven't been responding because I had to go to the Emergency Room on Sunday night, and I haven't felt up to being on the computer since then.
CyanEyed
why? what happend? r u alright?
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
why? what happend? r u alright?

Severe nosebleed. There was a vein in my left nostril that was damaged almost all along the length of my nose. They had to cauterize the whole thing. And it sure did burn!

On top of that, we discovered what was causing my nosebleeds in part. Sinus infection, caused sinusitis, and I'm now on antibiotics.

That's the second time I've been to the E.R. for a nosebleed, the first was for the other nostril. It's like the fourth or fifth time I've been to the ER in total (at least for myself, I've been there for relatives countless times). That I can remember, I've gone to the ER for a sencond-degree burn, a seizure or two, and two nosebleeds.

I have so many medical problems it's not even funny anymore. Well, okay, it is kinda funny. I tried making a list once, but my wrists started hurting from my tendonitis Laughing.

They kept me there for 4 hours, 3 1/2 of which were spent in the waiting room. So I got home about 12:30 AM (Eastern Time), and when I did, I couldn't sleep until almost 4:00 AM. Since I have a sinus infection, I had to wash and sanitise all my bedding that night, and I still have to do my sheets (they're sewn onto my bed because they always slip off otherwise).

My sinus infection is not contagious, but they don't want it to re-enter my nose after the antibiotics are gone. This is the third time I've been on antibiotics in the past 14 months!

Thanks for the concern,
-Alex (aka bladesage)
CyanEyed
poor u, i know how bad hospitals can be - ive spent so long in there its practically my second home. for the bedsheets, unsew them and buy new ones that are larger than ur bed, then just tuck them under ur mattress - thats what i do. As for cloiterise, encarta dictionary doesnt have anything in there similar to cloiterise, did u mean cauterise?

anyway, hope u get better soon

CyanEyed

P.S: what is the answer for the question Question
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
poor u, i know how bad hospitals can be - ive spent so long in there its practically my second home. for the bedsheets, unsew them and buy new ones that are larger than ur bed, then just tuck them under ur mattress - thats what i do. As for cloiterise, encarta dictionary doesnt have anything in there similar to cloiterise, did u mean cauterise?

anyway, hope u get better soon

CyanEyed

P.S: what is the answer for the question Question

Okay, the answer is
Bantam Revised Medical Dictionary wrote:
Eisenmenger Reaction

Next:
"The combined curvature and twist of the spine."
CyanEyed
BTW, I'm Putting The Frih$ For This, Ok Bladesage
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
BTW, I'm Putting The Frih$ For This, Ok Bladesage

Okay. No problem.
CyanEyed
Is Anybody going to even take a guess as to what the answer is????
Traveller
bladesage wrote:
Next:
"The combined curvature and twist of the spine."

Scoliosis?
CyanEyed
Close But Not Quite - Scoliosis Is The General Term For Deformity Of The Spine.

Clue:
Three Words

T__________ K____________ S_____________
Traveller
CyanEyed wrote:
Clue:
Three Words

Totally Krooked Spine? Laughing
JOE IV
"The ORAL cavities containing each eye."
CyanEyed
Traveller wrote:
CyanEyed wrote:
Clue:
Three Words

Totally Krooked Spine? Laughing

Firstly, That Would Be Funny If I Didn't Actually Suffer From It And Didn't Have To Spend Most Of Last Year In Hospital Bcuz Of It - To Me, It's Not Funny Sad
Anyway, Its Not Totally Krooked Spine.

I'll Wait 4 Another 3 Days To See If Someone Gets It Right Rolling Eyes
CyanEyed
OK then...

To be honest,i forgot to come back and check but here i am now.

The Correct Answer Is

Quote:
Thoracic Kypho Scoliosis

Bladesage, If U Would Post The Next One Please
bladesage
Okay, next:
"A localized collection of thin-walled blood vessels covered by a cap of warty material."
CyanEyed
Bladesage,

U might want to start this again in a new thread cuz its gettin quite long.

CyanEyed
Scorpio
CyanEyed wrote:
Bladesage,

U might want to start this again in a new thread cuz its gettin quite long.

CyanEyed

Whats wrong in that.

You always have the option of only looking at the last post.
william
Is this contest still active?

If so, I'll submit my answer.

Is the answer hemangioma?
CyanEyed
/me, along the rest of the crew, waits eagerly for bladesage to see this thread
bladesage
I have been very busy of late, with physical therapy, whacky antibiotics (Tetracyclines), and trying to get what I can out of the remaining days of summer. As soon as I can possibly find some time to spare, I will get back to this topic immediately.

I cannot apoligize enough, but I must stay off the computer as much as possible while I recover with physical therapy. The constant typing is wearing like crazy on my wrists, and they're already in an awful enough condition as it is.
HoboPelican
bladesage wrote:
I have been very busy of late, with physical therapy, whacky antibiotics (Tetracyclines), and trying to get what I can out of the remaining days of summer. As soon as I can possibly find some time to spare, I will get back to this topic immediately.

I cannot apoligize enough, but I must stay off the computer as much as possible while I recover with physical therapy. The constant typing is wearing like crazy on my wrists, and they're already in an awful enough condition as it is.

Get well, Bladesage, we'll be here when you are ready!
(BTW - have you tried any of the voice recognition apps for typing? No response necessary )
bladesage
We have returned!!!

And, to make things even better, I spent all day yesterday working on improving how the contest works!

Now, we have our own website! Check it out at terms.scripters-resort.com, it's our official [sub]site!

The next one is:
The section of a prescription that contains instructions to the patient.

Now that I'm taking a Health Careers program at the Skills Center, we learn a TON more about the medical field, get hands-on experience in lots of health areas, and we learn tons of medical terminology! So I'm good on ideas for a LONG time!

Plus, on the site, you can have dynamic images made for a webpage or signature! It can contain participation info on a username, stats about the contest, Term of the Day, or a random term! LOADS of fun! Check it out at the site!
CyanEyed
alright!!!! welcome back!!

ill pass i think, i cant find this anywhere

btw, theres a php error on on the stats page Wink
bladesage
CyanEyed wrote:
alright!!!! welcome back!!

ill pass i think, i cant find this anywhere

btw, theres a php error on on the stats page Wink

Thanks, I am aware of the warning. It should disappear once I edit the database to correctly reflect the statistics.
william
This is probably wrong, but is it subscription?

I'm glad this contest is back! Very Happy
MrBlueSky
Question: is allowed to use google or other sites?
bladesage
MrBlueSky wrote:
Question: is allowed to use google or other sites?

I'm afraid it isn't...but sadly, people keep using it anyway. It falls along the lines of cheating, but people seem to try it despite everything else. It is against the rules, but it just occurred to me...I never actually wrote up the rules!

Anyway, subscription is correct, if I remember right...but it may be Signatura just as easily. So please wait until I post the rules on the site, which will have to wait until I write them up Razz

I will post the rules, and I will add a copy here as a reminder. So please be patient while I get everything together.
MrBlueSky
bladesage wrote:

I'm afraid it isn't...

In that case I off course won't use it anymore: in this case I found 'signature' via google.

Quote:

The "signature" section contains directions to the patient[30] and is often abbreviated "Sig."[31] or "Signa." It also obviously contains the signature of the prescribing doctor though the word "signature" has two distinct meanings here and the abbreviations are sometimes used to avoid confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_prescription#Contents_of_the_prescription

Smile
bladesage
Okay, here are the official contest rules:

I. There is no use of any outside source of information. This may include encyclopedias, search engines, reference sites, or another person or group of people who do know. The only exception is using notes taken in a previous class.

II. Not all terms can be solved by the participants, and some may actually have inaccurate answers when I think of the answer. For this reason, any term that follows either of those two situations will be voided, the correct answer being given, and the term will enter the database with the username "N/A" listed as the winner, followed by a new term being given.

III. This is a contest, not a democracy. Any important decisions or judgements will be made by me, bladesage. Any disputes may be discussed with civility, and there will be no flaming in this topic!
The terms here are strictly scientific, and will be treated as such. There will be no vulgarity, perversion, profanity, or inappropriate terms or comments. This is for scientific challenge, and any questionable terms are meant in a strictly scientific manner. This is for science, not uncomfortable sexual discussion.

All set...now then, unfortunately, I will have to void the current term, and issue a new one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now, the next term is:
A prefix denoting female.
bladesage
Anybody want to guess? Come on! Did the rules intimidate everyone or something? What is the answer?
MrBlueSky
gyno?
bladesage
MrBlueSky wrote:
bladesage wrote:

I'm afraid it isn't...

In that case I off course won't use it anymore: in this case I found 'signature' via google.

Quote:

The "signature" section contains directions to the patient[30] and is often abbreviated "Sig."[31] or "Signa." It also obviously contains the signature of the prescribing doctor though the word "signature" has two distinct meanings here and the abbreviations are sometimes used to avoid confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_prescription#Contents_of_the_prescription

Smile

The signatura, or signatora, contains directions to the patient. It frequently looks something like
Quote:
2 TAB po TID ac qD

Which translates to "Take two tablets by mouth three times a day before meals every day."

----------------------------------------------

And yes, gyno is an acceptable answer for the latest term. I was looking for gynec, and would have also accepted gyneco.

Next term:
The study of framework, structure, or movement[ in living things].
MrBlueSky
bladesage wrote:

And yes, gyno is an acceptable answer for the latest term. I was looking for gynec, and would have also accepted gyneco.

I won

Wink
bladesage
And we're on our eighth page!

So I'd reccommend that people start showing off their number of wins in their sigs Wink. To do this, go to http://terms.scripters-resort.com/images, choose the "User participation stats" type, and enter the options. You could get something like

You could also choose "Contest stats" and get something like

You could also choose "Term of the Day" to get the random term chosen each day, looking like

Or you could have a random term shown every time with "Random term," which looks like

So there is a lot to choose from. You can also have it build the code in XHTML, to be placed on a webpage. I fixed all the dynamic image scripts, so all of the above items will work now.
hunnyhiteshseth
Is it skeletology?
mattneed
biology hehe
Montressor
I'll hazard a simplistic guess, physiology overall, and if that doesn't suit you perhaps anatomy (which is technically the taking apart of the body relating to structure and not necessarily function), or if either two don't work for you I'll shoot for a longer stretch and say kinesiology which is the study of the movement of the structures of the body.
bladesage
Montressor wrote:
I'll hazard a simplistic guess, physiology overall, and if that doesn't suit you perhaps anatomy (which is technically the taking apart of the body relating to structure and not necessarily function), or if either two don't work for you I'll shoot for a longer stretch and say kinesiology which is the study of the movement of the structures of the body.

Anatomy is the correct answer!

And there we have it, another winner. 4 frih$ coming your way.

Next:
The production of blood.
Montressor
bladesage wrote:
The production of blood.

hematopoiesis
-I only went to google to check my spelling (I had flipped the "i" and the "e"), I already knew that one
Not necessarily the production of blood, but the specialization of different blood cells.
bladesage
Montressor wrote:
bladesage wrote:
The production of blood.

hematopoiesis
-I only went to google to check my spelling (I had flipped the "i" and the "e"), I already knew that one
Not necessarily the production of blood, but the specialization of different blood cells.

Well, that is correct!

Next:
A prefix denoting narrowing.
einstein
well, i think i know this one: it is sten(o), right???
bladesage
einstein wrote:
well, i think i know this one: it is sten(o), right???

Yes, that's correct!

But the thing is, that as embarrassing as it is, I did mean to type suffix instead of prefix...so as I asked the wrong thing, I will stick with what I said anyway, so you win!

Sorry about that though Embarassed

Next:
The cells inside of bone that eat away the bone from the inside to control the bone's thickness.
Montressor
bladesage wrote:
Next:
The cells inside of bone that eat away the bone from the inside to control the bone's thickness.
hmm, I can't remember which one it is, I'll try osteoclast first, I think the osteoblasts are the cells that lay down the matrix.
einstein
seem to have read this sentence somewhere!!!

but i'll try osteoporosis this time! i THINK that its right. Wink
einstein
when will the winner be declared??? its already been 3 days!!!

if nobody won, then why don't you change the word??? Confused
bladesage
einstein wrote:
when will the winner be declared??? its already been 3 days!!!

if nobody won, then why don't you change the word??? Confused

Two words...

Exam week
bladesage
Montressor wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Next:
hmm, I can't remember which one it is, I'll try osteoclast first, I think the osteoblasts are the cells that lay down the matrix.

Yes, osteoclasts is the correct answer! (Sorry for the delay.)

Next:
"The terminologically-friendly term for Acid Reflux Disease."
Star Wars Fanatic
Uh, I have heard this one somewhere... Gastro-something, Gastroesophegas? Or maybe Gastrostomachas, that sounds wrong... Gastroesophegas... Is my final answer...

Pardon my spelling... Embarassed I know I spelled it wrong...
einstein
Gastroesophagus

OR

we can also say Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

this time, i guess i am right. Star Wars is right too. Very Happy
bladesage
einstein wrote:
Gastroesophagus

OR

we can also say Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

this time, i guess i am right. Star Wars is right too. Very Happy

While Star Wars Fanatic is partially correct, you did give the full answer, inclusing its acronym. So you are correct! I was looking for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, and I would also accept GERD.

Next:
"Plates or blades that act in water the same way that airplane wings act in air, lifting a vessel above the water when sufficient speed is built up."
qscomputing
Hydrofoils.
einstein
Aw.....i wanted to say Hydrofoil. but anyway, you won, qscomputing!!! Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
There is another one I could have perhaps gotten, lol, good job, qscomputing, and I like how you are going into other areas, I have almost no medical knowledge, so it is good for me to be able to actually have an idea of what the term is Razz
bladesage
qscomputing wrote:
Hydrofoils.

Man, I thought that one would last longer...

Anyway, well done. But before I decide the next term, I have an announcement to make...

I will be upgrading the system on the site. The contest will therefor be temporarily closed. I don't want the topic to be locked, as I will post all the updates in here when I finish. I don't know how long this will be down, but I promise I will try to make it soon.

Please be patient...I will make the contest much better. I will not change the rules much at all, but I will increase the prize. Incidentally, I may begin looking for sponsors before I reopen. It doesn't look that way yet, but I will keep it in mind, should I need to fund the contest.
qscomputing
Minutiae?
einstein
is this contest over???????????????
bladesage
Well, after long and painful waiting, I bring new news of my wrists.

I have not only tendonitis...I have carpaltunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and mild nerve damage in both my wrists (not to mention forearms).

And so, after long and irritating testing for nerve damage, and an electromyography that hurt like crazy, it turns out I will require some generous injections of steroids, and perhaps some surgeries.

So, I am forced to keep the contest delayed even longer. I hate doing it, but it is not really my choice.

We will be back on our feet soon enough, and better than ever!
MrBlueSky
bladesage wrote:
Well, after long and painful waiting, I bring new news of my wrists.

I have not only tendonitis...I have carpaltunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and mild nerve damage in both my wrists (not to mention forearms).

And so, after long and irritating testing for nerve damage, and an electromyography that hurt like crazy, it turns out I will require some generous injections of steroids, and perhaps some surgeries.

So, I am forced to keep the contest delayed even longer. I hate doing it, but it is not really my choice.

We will be back on our feet soon enough, and better than ever!

Ai ai, this contest is the least of your worries right now. I sympathize with you and wish you a lot of luck with the upcoming therapy. I hope it works for you! Lets cross our fingers that surgeries will not be necessary. Pray
bladesage
Okay, well, they gave me the steroid injections in one arm. They apparently only do one at a time, in the few cases requiring both, because it makes the hand and wrist really numb...and I realized right away that they were right about it! It also made all my fingers really stiff for a few hours.

More to the point, the steroids didn't help, so sometime this month I'm going back to setup the appointments for my operations. We're making progress for once, and this time, we're getting somewhere with it!

It's such a relief to finally know things are going in the right direction!
bladesage
Well, I have decided it is unfair to keep everyone waiting so long.

While my wrists are nowhere near recovery, I can still push for a functional contest (albeit slow).

So...I will need to have something working while I try to get my site working once again.

And here we go...

Next term:
"The most common type of leukocyte."

Note: I am looking for something a bit more specific than granular or nongranular.

Aside...Effective immediately until further notice, the prize for a correct answer has been raised to 5 frih$. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep the stakes so high for long, so enjoy while it remains this way!
Scorpio
Glad to see you back, blade

I would go with Neutrophils Very Happy
hunnyhiteshseth
I would have also gone for neutrophils, i.e. those which are stained by neutral dyes.

But since scorpio has already guess, may be prize belongs to him.

After a long time, you have asked an easy one. Wink
bladesage
Scorpio wrote:
Glad to see you back, blade

I would go with Neutrophils Very Happy

And neutrophils is correct!

Next:
"The bacteria name for the Bubonic Plague."

Note: There are 3 acceptable answers here. Prize money will only be given for one.
Scorpio
I guess Yersinia Pestis.

Have no clue about the other 2 though Very Happy
bladesage
Scorpio wrote:
I guess Yersinia Pestis.

Have no clue about the other 2 though Very Happy

Well, that is a correct answer! I am not really up to posting the other two names right now, as I am having difficulty posting even this much.

Next:
"The non-selective division of the immune system, which attacks immediately and triggers the other division of the immune system."
HalfBloodPrince
Innate Immune System
bladesage
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Innate Immune System

Well, that answer is absolutely correct!

I will send the money to you. However, as for the next term, I'm afraid it will have to wait. You see, I have a rather annoying case of Adenovirus, and I'm attempting to get the decent amount of bedrest, as well as large quantities of Vitamin C.

Yeah, my health is just one lovely event after another. That's my luck for ya Wink
bladesage
Okay, next:
"The highly unreliable method of comparing one's body size to the average size, equal to 703w / h^2"

NOTE: w = weight in pounds, h = height in inches; sorry for the use of USA-style units Embarassed
MYP415
body mass index or bmi
bladesage
MYP415 wrote:
body mass index or bmi

Well, that is completely correct!

Next:
"A painful genital condition affecting only males, usually due to an infection. Typically accompanied by pain, swelling, and redness of the testes and scrotum."

Note: This is a severely painful condition, and it haunts me severely and relentlessly every day. It is only slightly affected by my pain medication, and I often wish I was dead.
hunnyhiteshseth
Is it gonerrea?
DeFwh
Orchitis

or

Epididymitis
bladesage
DeFwh wrote:
Orchitis

or

Epididymitis

Yes, Epididymitis is correct!

Next:
"The most vicious of the leukocytes in the body. It is constantly under suppression by the immune system, to prevent it from destroying the host cells when it is not needed."
bladesage
And here's a little update on the status of my wrists...

I went to see my hand surgeon again today. We argued quite a bit about which action is best to take next. She thought that surgery would most likely be futile, since the steroids did nothing noticable. Then she decided we should go see a hand therapist, which I did not like the sound of. I have already seen two different physical therapists before, and they did not seem to help me much at all.

Then, she decided that (in addition to seeing a new therapist) we should try a different NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug). However, she wanted to try Naproxen, which I tried as the first attempt to treat this mess! Having failed in the past with the same dosage of the same medication before, I was even more opposed to trying this again. So we settled on some high doses of Ibuprofen instead, and I try that starting tonight.

One more prescription medication to add to my shelf of pills Rolling Eyes

I do believe I am up to fourteen of them now.
DeFwh
Lymphocyte
ssthanapati
Is the answer White Blood Cell
bladesage
ssthanapati wrote:
Is the answer White Blood Cell

No, White Blood Cell is the common term for leukocyte, and I am asking for a type of leukocyte with a specific name.

DeFwh wrote:
Lymphocyte

Once again, I'm afraid this answer is also wrong. The term lymphocyte is vague in itself, and lymphocytes are part of the Adaptive Immune System, whereas the term I am after is a member of the Innate Immune System.

I am glad to see some good participation, and I encourage everyone to keep trying!
hunnyhiteshseth
Are they mast cells?
bladesage
Okay, well, I have a few announcements...

First, the correct answer was Eosinophils.

Second, we now have an official website (with full domain)! Check us out at GuessTheTerm.com! Still under construction, but part of the site is up at least.

Finally, an update on my wrists. Today, we did the first of my Carpaltunnel Release surgeries. I am currently in a world of suffering! I am typing one-handed, and both of my shift keys are busted, so please bear with me.

I will need to keep everyone waiting again while I recover and get my next surgery soon.

Thanks for being patient,
-Alex
hunnyhiteshseth
Best of luck for your further surgeries.

Get well soon!!
j14fusion14
Well I know how you feel (I just got over a broken wrist) and I hope you get better soon.
rheanna
Can't the join the site until you fix the Mysql errors. ;o) ...Let me know when it's up.
bladesage
Don't worry, I'm still adjusting to the site's new host...I'll have the MySQL thing fixed up ASAP.

I'll let everyone know when it's ready. On Wednesday, I'll get my stitches and bandages removed, and we'll setup the next operation. After Wednesday, I should be able to do a lot more typing.
bladesage
Okay, I have a few very happy announcements to make.

First of all, the site's user system is currently in its Beta phase! It is now possible to login, logout, register, and manage your account. The site is at GuessTheTerm.com.

Second, while the user system is mostly up and running, parts of the site such as the term history, stats, and other such things are not yet ready. Once they are working properly, we will continue the contest with a whole load of new terms and features.

Finally, my wrists are nearly healed. I got the Carpal Tunnel Release operations on both wrists, and the second one is almost done recovering from surgery. So expect to see my activity in the contest and its website to gradually build to a reasonable level.

Now, I hope to see everyone joining the site very soon!

Thanks,
-Alex
bladesage
Okay, I have excellent news!

I have gotten the entire site up and running! I couldn't test it all the way through, but everything important is up! Users can login and perform all the account tasks (as well as bank their prize money until they want it sent to them). I also got ALL the terms entered into the History page.

Once again, the site is at GuessTheTerm.com.

Now, even better news, I can continue with the contest!

Next:
"A condition of the ear in which the outer Ear Canal becomes inflammed."

Hope to see some people joining in (and joining the site) soon!