FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About the "language" of my site

oskuro
Well, i have my new free web hosting in frihost, and im uploading files to ftp.

Right now, i dont know in which language make the site.

Im spanish, i can write english too, more less, but im thinking about if doing my site in english or spanish, cause maybe if i do it in spanish, i will have less visits that if i do it in english, or maybe the best option, is do it in both languages(english and spanish).

What do u think??Thanx Wink
Hobbit
I think you should make it in both languages. I've done that in the past (I also speak Spanish). All I did was make a splash page and give people the choice of English or Spanish.
oskuro
Hobbit wrote:
I think you should make it in both languages. I've done that in the past (I also speak Spanish). All I did was make a splash page and give people the choice of English or Spanish.

Yeah, well, once i upload and install fine Joomla(im still fighting to do it Embarassed ), i will do that.

But i will have to do 2 .php files for same thing but one in english and the other in spanish??.
sprinqles
Yes, you have to make them both in English and Spanish. If you think you'll get tired of typing and translating, try websites that translate sentences and words for you from English to Spanish. There are alot, just google them. Smile
Traveller
oskuro wrote:
But i will have to do 2 .php files for same thing but one in english and the other in spanish??.

Not necessarily. For a site that I did for some friends, I place any content that might have needed translation (including the site menus) into a database. Then, I had an American flag and a Honduran flag at the top of each page. Clicking on either flag would set a cookie to keep track of that visitor's language preference. After that, it was just a matter of having a "language" field as part of any database table that held bilingual content, and having two entries for each item - one for "en" and the other for "es". When displaying the page, all the PHP code had to do was to include a WHERE clause similar to this:
Code:
$query = "SELECT.....(WHERE lang='".$lang."');";
It worked quite well.

Some people who don't like the database approach create separate .php files and organize it all by keeping each language in a separate subdirectory (e.g. "www.yourdomain.com/en/index.php" and "www.yourdomain.com/es/index.php"). I preferred the database approach for my application, since I could then make an administration/editing page to allow my friends to edit the content themselves, without their having to call me to hand-edit two sets of .php files.
riv
Or you can just do it in english. If you don't think you'll get a lot of Spanish visitors, then taking the bilingual approach is wasting time on your part.
Ankyro
It depends on who you actually want the site to be for. If it is a general interest site, then I would go for both languages, or english if you had to pick one. But if it is...say, a spanish politics discussion site, The hell with all those gringos, write it entirely in mexican.

Disclaimer - I am more than aware that the boy is probably NOT a beaner. I was making funny. Enjoy.
bnbrown
I'd suggest to do it with English/Spanish so the visitor can chose. The more option you give the more visitor can see your stie.
GB
I also vote for doing it in English and Spanish. The set cookie idea is great, the two flags at the top of every page is great. No one likes to click through a splash page to get to actual content, so if they only have to do that once, terrific. Actually, I would advocate for setting the default home page in one language or the other and make it clear that you can switch languages at anytime. That way, first time visitors wouldn't have to load and click through a barrier to get to the content.
Scorpio
Do this.

Go to google.com/translate.

enter the page on your site you want to translate.

You will get the link on the address bar .

Copy that.

On your site, put up a link named spanish and link it to the google translate page which you copied earlier.

When people click on it they will get the spanish translation

My site's index page and privacy policy page are available in 5 languages
english, french, spanish, italian, german and chinese