FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Xandros OS 3.0.1 OC

anurag_bhd

Recently, I tried the new Linux - Xandros Desktop OS Open circulation edition. To begin with, I have a Windows installed computer. So firstly, I had to create an extended partition on my hard disk to install and try this linux. After this process was over, I inserted the bootable CD containing the burnt .iso image of Xandros, which shipped in the DVD of a computer magazine, and restarted my PC. The installation process begun in the default GUI mode. The installation was so simple that even a novice can do that as the step-by-step instructions are provided.
The installation took about 15 minutes and the Xandros was ready to be tested. I restarted the computer and started the Linux. For the first boot, it took a half-century to complete the startup, but this could not make any Linux crazy person to loose patience. So, I waited till the desktop finally came on the monitor. Ahh... Finally, Linux had started. I browsed its various features and was impressed to find that Mozilla Firefox v1.0, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Acrobat Reader, Real Player and many other open source softwares were pre-installed. What more? For furthur installation of many of your favorite softwares(not bundled with Xandros), the utility - Xandros Networks is there, which makes it more easier to install new softwares, games, libraries or any available application and it also helps to organize the installed applications and also provides the option to upgrade the existing installations.
Xandros also comes with a 30-day free trial of Cross-Over Wine which is a tool which makes many of the Windows application run on Linux.
To conclude, I found Xandros to be the most user-friendly and innovative Linux I had ever tried. And what more? The open circulation version is completly free of cost. Very Happy
modak
Minor Gripe:
anurag_bhd wrote:
Acrobat Reader, Real Player and many other open source softwares were pre-installed.

Adobe Acrobat is not open-source software. Neither is RealPlayer. Although there is HelixPlayer, which is open-source and the basis of the newer versions of RealPlayer.

In this connection, I'd like to invite people to try Ubuntu Dapper. Ubuntu is the hottest new Linux distribution out there and has already built up a large community of users and supporters. Ubuntu Dapper is the latest version scheduled for final delivery in June. But the latest beta version is stable enough for everyday use. There is a new live-cd cum installation cd, which allows a user to try the distro, and to install it from the same cd if the user so desires.

There are Local Community sites setup to promote the spread of Ubuntu among normal users. For Indian users, there is the Indian LoCo team at http://www.ubuntu-in.org
manumiglani
Quote:
To conclude, I found Xandros to be the most user-friendly and innovative Linux I had ever tried. And what more? The open circulation version is completly free of cost.

Even I am using Xandros for about 15 days now. I agree with you, It is one of the most user-friendly version of Linux I have ever tried. No need to install programs manually like other Linux distos. One can update and install a hell lot of problems from the Xandros Network easily. With its ability to install on a a windows os easily even a newbie can install it very easily.

I think I saw this article on some Blog. Have you copy/pasted this ?
anurag_bhd
modak wrote:
Minor Gripe:
Adobe Acrobat is not open-source software. Neither is RealPlayer. Although there is HelixPlayer, which is open-source and the basis of the newer versions of RealPlayer.
There are Local Community sites setup to promote the spread of Ubuntu among normal users. For Indian users, there is the Indian LoCo team at http://www.ubuntu-in.org

Gee... Sorry if I used the word "Open Source" with all those softwares. I meant to say Freeware to all of them, but open source to some like Firefox.
I agree with you that the Ubuntu distribution of Linux is a hot issue these days and in fact, I've ordered it through the ShipIt facility at Ubuntu.com. But Xandros is quite user-friendly and Ubuntu is, I think, apt for developers and its GNOME interface makes it less attractive than the KDE in Xandros.
And thanks for the info about the Indian Community of Ubuntu. I was really not aware of that fact. Thanks!! Wink

manumiglani wrote:

I think I saw this article on some Blog. Have you copy/pasted this ?

Yes, you are right in saying that I've taken the material from a blog, but that blog is none other than my own. I only wanted to share my experiences about the Linux with everyone here too as I don't have much time daily to write a complete article from scratch. Anyways, thanks for your support for Xandros. Cool

Animal wrote:
Don't double-post. If you have something to add, please use the Edit button. 2 posts merged by me.
Kd527
Yeah, I found Xandros to be a pretty good distro. It seemed to have better hardware support than others and it was pretty user friendly.
lukeropro
too bad you'll have to pay for xandros... Sad
manumiglani
lukeropro wrote:
too bad you'll have to pay for xandros... Sad

Well, I do not really like the fact that Xandros is paid. But I am using a free circulation edition.
lukeropro
Really? Where do I get the free circulation edition?
manumiglani
lukeropro wrote:
Really? Where do I get the free circulation edition?

I got Xandros cd with a Linux magazine. However, you can still download Xandros from http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_download.html
modak
Dapper Drake has been released. It is available for download from here :

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Or you can order free CDs from :

https://shipit.ubuntu.com

This is the stable release of Ubuntu, designed for corporate use and supported for 3 years. To have a look at the features of Ubuntu Dapper Drake for desktop machines :

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop