FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Cube: Super Smash Bros. Melee

DeathMask
hi i want to open this litle space saying that this is one of my favorite games.
I use any character, but mostly, i use ganondorf, and my tactics are:
trowing the oponent whit strong jumping attacks and then when they are in the air, a very strong kick that push them down and then they can't come back.

Another is only hit 'em with strong punches and then do a grab attack with up and "b" when they are in the air and then they fly fast to the side. Cool
linkman2004
Ganon is okay but Link totally PWNS! My tactics are generally downward thrust them multiple times in the head, then when they're down I'll spin attack them off the screen. Tactic rarely fails so that's why I use it. Razz
Nameless
You realise none of the above tactics would work on a reasonably skilled player, right? I've played SSBM for AGES (it's definetly my favourite Game Cube game, and my favourite fighting game, ever) and I still suck compared to a lot of people.

I think it was Fox or Falco that was the highest teir character, but I don't really have a favourite (although, I do better with some characters than others, I enjoy playing them all pretty much equally).
Whong
Super Smash Bros Melee is one of my favourite games too!
I use Mario and my tactics are first to grab and throw the opponent down, use the up A smash and the start to throw the opponent out and use the cape to turn him away just before he grabs the edge of the stage!
What's your favourite stage? Mine is Dream Land 64 and Corneria!

DeathMask wrote:
I use any character, but mostly, i use ganondorf, and my tactics are:

You say you like playing with Ganondorf! What is your homerun record, just curious! Wink

PS. I have the Pal version so my homerun contest record is in meters not in feet! Wink
jabapyth
awewsome game
xorcist
All of those moves you talk about Death noone use's because they time every move and wave dash all around the board they dont walk or run. They counter every move you do and its like impossible to grab and they edge hog or whatever they call it so is hard to get back on once you fly off the stage. I went to a tournment thinking I was good and they beat me so bad at it.
There another topic about it here at http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28795
DeathMask
this is a bit strange, when i sue that characters you said, i use the same tactics XD Cool
harvestking
I mainly use mewtwo and mr. game and wacth
ReidE96
I usually go Roy, can't beat parrying them for more damage than they would do (causes a mini explosion). And a fully charged B attack.....LETHAL!! I took Giga Bowser out with that one Cool

Kirby is also good when people start taking fox/falco and doing the b smash all the time. B down! Alternatively, jump, float, float, b down, b (to exit the other form, brick, weight, whatever) and then repeat. Class Very Happy

And my home run record - over 4000 metres Very Happy I got more once, but sandbag....dissappeared. About to hit the ground and went straight through it Confused and my GC froze too.....couldn't leave home run, just had a permenantly increasing distance..... Dug out my Action Replay (got it ages ago, mainly for freeloader, but the package had a 1024 block memory card with it Very Happy) -> freeze timer -> ran all the way out and fell down. GC froze again. Ho hum.
Whong
ReidE96 wrote:

And my home run record - over 4000 metres Very Happy I got more once, but sandbag....dissappeared. About to hit the ground and went straight through it Confused and my GC froze too.....couldn't leave home run, just had a permenantly increasing distance..... Dug out my Action Replay (got it ages ago, mainly for freeloader, but the package had a 1024 block memory card with it Very Happy) -> freeze timer -> ran all the way out and fell down. GC froze again. Ho hum.

Man, did you get that 4000 without ActionReplay, if you did with what character and how? I'd really like to know! My best record is with Ganondorf and it is only 517,7 meters!

Please tell me how you did it:wink:
Rsam
I'm aware of all the pro advanced techniques out there but I'm way too lazy to ingrain them into my play. Wavedash and L-Cancel add way too much stuff to do during the game, I'm not planning to go play tourneys anyway as long as I can beat my friends. That being said my two fav chars are still highest tier characters: Shiek and Marth. I recently picked up Ganandorf, this game is probably the best fighter game I've ever played. I'm swaying towards getting a Wii just for the next gen Smash Bros.
Whong
Rsam wrote:
I'm aware of all the pro advanced techniques out there but I'm way too lazy to ingrain them into my play. Wavedash and L-Cancel add way too much stuff to do during the game, I'm not planning to go play tourneys anyway as long as I can beat my friends. That being said my two fav chars are still highest tier characters: Shiek and Marth. I recently picked up Ganandorf, this game is probably the best fighter game I've ever played. I'm swaying towards getting a Wii just for the next gen Smash Bros.

I'm too waiting for Wii's next generation Super Smash Bros game! Laughing
Man, if you can play it online with anyone arround the world, that will be really cool! At least you'll have lots of guys to play with! Wink

Does anyone know is SSB Wii going to be a online game as well? I think it is, but no guarenties from me, just a guess! Wink Idea
djared90
SSBM was the first game I got for GameCube, and I'd say that it deserves that spot. I had owned the original Super Smash Bros. for N64 and absolutely loved it, and when I found out that there was SSBM for the GameCube I went out and got one for myself.

My character that I'm best with is Link (either of them), but I'm also good with Roy, and I'm okay with Samus. It seems like every time I play I accidentally discover a new technique to use with them, like I recently discovered for myself Roy's B combo attacks.
Nameless
ReidE96 wrote:
I usually go Roy, can't beat parrying them for more damage than they would do (causes a mini explosion). And a fully charged B attack.....LETHAL!! I took Giga Bowser out with that one Cool

Feh. Roy is often overrated. His counter move isn't THAT hard to avoid, and it's a running joke in my house that anyone who gets hit by his charge attack (or, for that matter, Caption Falcon or Gannondorf's B move) is the World's Worst Noob, since it's so insanely slow and easy to dodge. One of the main problems (IMHO) of the computer AI is that it just walks into attacks like that all the time, even on level 9.
ReidE96
I agree with the AI flaws, but didn't you even think of using bellosom to make them sleep? Wink

And I got over 4k using roy, dish out the damage like hell throwing it up the way, and time a b attack perfectly to explode when sandbag is at 45 degrees. Very tricky, took me a TON of trys, but I did it Very Happy

Roy is lethal in the hands of an expert. I beat a friend who's good at the game on glacier mountain as roy (yes, the level with the insane amount of up and downness - roy's weakness)
Whong
Nameless wrote:
One of the main problems (IMHO) of the computer AI is that it just walks into attacks like that all the time, even on level 9.

I too agree, have you guys noticed that the CPU players just walk on mine that is in front of them, they don't jump over it or any thing! Crying or Very sad

But that is just a small flaw for such an extremly great game! Wink
The trophys are a really nice bonus to the game! Wink
Game Fortress
SSBM is a classic. Its freakishly entertaining for no visible reason I can ascertain.
Nameless
ReidE96 wrote:

Roy is lethal in the hands of an expert. I beat a friend who's good at the game on glacier mountain as roy (yes, the level with the insane amount of up and downness - roy's weakness)

I wouldn't have considered Glacier Mountain Roy's worst stage. I'd say his worst stage would be Hyrule castle, or perhaps Corneria. Big spaces where he can get easily attack long-range. Glacier mountain would be worse for, say, Gannondorf or other slow characters.

Incidently, EVERY character is lethal in the hands of an expert of that character.
Cafe Callaway
Bowser is the worst in the ice climbing stage. Razz

I personally like Pikachu. He is really easy for me to use than most characters. Samus is also simple for me, even though I have unlocked all the characters. Smile
Hanpusu-kun
Fox McCloud I jsut say.
and that should describe the best character in the game.

hav eplayed the game since it came out and its just awesome fun ^_^
ReidE96
I quite like open spaces with roy, whenever a ranged attack comes, jump it. If it's rapid fire super scope, jump your way to higher/lower ground Very Happy

Yes, every character is lethal in the hands of an expert of that character, but when you pit experts against each other, the character's abilities and weaknesses really start to show through.
ddukki
I don't know about you guys, but I love playing as Sheik. His/her (since Sheik is also Zelda, I'll call her a she) moves are lightning fast and the programmers made them so smooth. They might not be the strongest attacks, but I've never lost because I wasn't fast enough. On top of that, you can change back into Zelda to guard yourself pretty well. It's just the transforming time that gets to me.
Whong
ddukki wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I love playing as Sheik. His/her (since Sheik is also Zelda, I'll call her a she) moves are lightning fast and the programmers made them so smooth. They might not be the strongest attacks, but I've never lost because I wasn't fast enough. On top of that, you can change back into Zelda to guard yourself pretty well. It's just the transforming time that gets to me.

Sheik is very good, I'd say that she is at least one of the best characters, maybe even the best! Mario, Roy and Captain Falcon are also very good and in my opinion ones of the best characters! Each character has his/her strenghts and weaknesses! Wink

Roy is the best for the Event Match "Final Destination" where there are Master and Crazy Hand! Wink Idea
Whong
Have you guys heard about Super Smash Bros Brawl! The new game for Wii!
have you seen the trailer, it looks really great!

Wink Wink
Alein_Atryda_III
Have you got any link for the trailer? I played Melee for tens or hundreds of hours with my friend when he first got GC and now he is buying new console so I might want to give him new smash brothers on his birthday in 6 months XO
Whong
Alein_Atryda_III wrote:
Have you got any link for the trailer? I played Melee for tens or hundreds of hours with my friend when he first got GC and now he is buying new console so I might want to give him new smash brothers on his birthday in 6 months XO

Here is the link http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

You can find the trailer when you click the thing where is written Videos! Wink

It's absolutely fantastic, cool and excellent! Just can't wait! Wink Laughing Idea
DragonEye
If you want real Smash action, check out http://smashboards.com/. There are all kinds of videos from the MLG pros, and other good players. You can also get help on improving your game there.
Hanpusu-kun
SSBB seems to be an excellent new game.
Code:
[color=white]And when I saw Snake, it was like WTF moment #1 OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM[/color]

Im really looking forward to kick some buts online!
Jack_jan
I mostly use jigglypuff, strong repetive punches then down and b for the ko, also holding and releasing b is a good way to get out of trouble.
DeathMask
Hanpusu-kun wrote:

Im really looking forward to kick some buts online!

well if i am right the game will not be online huh? Cool
Dark_Jedi06
By far one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. It's second only to the perfection that is Mario Kart: Double Dash.

The one for the Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, looks insane. I can't wait to get both it and the Wii. Meta Knight, Solid Snake, ect. It's going to be amazing.

By the way, Young Link rocks all other characters. Wink
Whong
Dark_Jedi06 wrote:
By far one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. It's second only to the perfection that is Mario Kart: Double Dash.

The one for the Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, looks insane. I can't wait to get both it and the Wii. Meta Knight, Solid Snake, ect. It's going to be amazing.

By the way, Young Link rocks all other characters. Wink

I think Link has changed most from the Super Smash Bros Melee!
Pit looks really cool and Wario is as insane as ever! Man, he's got a fart attack, sounds kind of Wario like! Laughing

Mario looks cool too with his new trousers, really detailed aren't they! Wink Idea
Klaker
Mario Kart Double Dash beating Smash Brothers Melee? You've got to be kidding me. Mario Kart 64 was one hundred times as good as Double Dash, and that pales in comparison to melee. Brawl is going to rock.

Falco all the way!
DeathMask
Klaker wrote:
Mario Kart Double Dash beating Smash Brothers Melee? You've got to be kidding me. Mario Kart 64 was one hundred times as good as Double Dash, and that pales in comparison to melee. Brawl is going to rock.

Falco all the way!

you're right Mario Kart Double dash is crap next to Mario Kart 64 and melee Brawl Cool
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
Klaker wrote:

Falco all the way!

you're right Mario Kart Double dash is crap next to Mario Kart 64 and melee Brawl Cool

In my opinion is that Mario Kart Double Dash is way cooler and better than Mario Kart 64! Wink

But Super Smash Bros Brawl will rock all, even PS3 and Xbox 360! Wink Idea
lordwarlord
hej
SMB melee is so great
i like mew because he is so good and fast
but i need help to get pichu
can somebody help me? Surprised
DeathMask
Here is how to get Pichu :

= Complete the event Match #37.

Or

= Play more than 200 VS matches.

I hope is usseful! Cool

P.D. I don't remember well if that you have to do is one of the 2 options or you need to do both, so first do the easier to test. If it doesn't work, means you need to complete the 2 options Wink.
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
Here is how to get Pichu :

= Complete the event Match #37.

Or

= Play more than 200 VS matches.

I hope is usseful! Cool

P.D. I don't remember well if that you have to do is one of the 2 options or you need to do both, so first do the easier to test. If it doesn't work, means you need to complete the 2 options Wink.

I think it was only one option! Well I'm not sure! Wink Idea
DeathMask
Yes i watch it and it was only one option so i correct that. Smile
mugglesquop
Super Smash Bros. has always been about extremely fast-paced multiplayer fighting, and Melee is no different. It's an experience that's at its best in the company of other humans. It's easily among the most inventive fighting games released in recent years, 2D or otherwise, and its accessible nature can often hide the reasonable bit of depth its fighting system offers. The game is very good at working wild cards, of sorts, into its matches, which can often change the tide of a battle in a moment's notice. The hammer item is a great example of this: A novice player could theoretically be getting pummeled by a trio of veterans, only to pick up the hammer and pound his or her way to victory within a span of a few seconds. The Smash Bros. system is very good at evening the odds in ways like this, and given the mad pace of the matches, you'll seldom notice until it's all over.
mugglesquop
A little help if u need it Wink

Stage Unlock: Battlefield Stage To unlock the Battlefield stage, complete the All-Star 1-P mode for the first time.
Stage Unlock: Poké Floats Stage To unlock the Poké Floats stage, you must play at least 200 matches in VS. mode (without quitting).
Stage Unlock: Big Blue Stage To unlock the Big Blue stage, you must play at least 150 matches in VS. mode (without quitting).
Stage Unlock: Brinstar Depths Stage To unlock the Brinstar Depths stage, you must play at least 50 matches in VS. mode.
Stage Unlock: Dream Land Past Stage To unlock the Dream Land stage of the past, beat Target Test with all characters, regular and hidden.
Stage Unlock: Final Destination Stage To unlock the Final Destination stage, you must complete all 51 Event Matches.
Stage Unlock: Flat Zone Stage To unlock the Flat Zone stage, you must complete 1-P Classic mode at any difficulty/stock with Mr. Game & Watch.
Stage Unlock: Fourside Stage To unlock the Fourside stage, you must play at least 100 matches in VS. mode (without quitting).
Stage Unlock: Mushroom Kingdom II Stage To unlock the Mushroom Kingdom II stage, which is from Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES, simply collect a Birdo trophy. The trophy is random, but when you find/win it, you get this stage.
Stage Unlock: Kongo Jungle Stage To unlock the Kongo Jungle from the N64 version of this game, complete the 15-Minute Melee. I'd recommend using Donkey Kong and constantly use his Down + B move the entire time (thanks to DEngel's Secrets guide, for I used that strategy to unlock this)
Character Unlocks
Follow the given methods.
Unlockable How to Unlock
Character Unlock: Roy To unlock Roy, also from the Fire Emblem series, complete Classic Mode using Marth at any difficulty/stock. Roy will challenge you; defeat him and you can play as him.
Character Unlock: Pichu To unlock Pichu, complete Event 37 (Legendary Pokémon). Pichu will challenge you; win and you'll be able to play as Pichu!
Character Unlock: Mr. Game & Watch To unlock Mr. Game & Watch, you must complete both Classic and Adventure 1-P mode or the Target Test with ALL characters at any difficulty/stock, regular and hidden (that includes Mewtwo). After you do that, you'll be challenged; win this battle.
Character Unlock: Mewtwo To unlock Mewtwo, play in VS. Mode for either 20 hours (Combined VS. Play Time total), or play 700 matches in that mode. After either requirement is met, Mewtwo will challenge you; beat him.
Character Unlock: Young Link To unlock Young Link, complete Classic mode with 10 different characters at any difficulty/stock. You'll then be challenged by Young Link; defeat him.
Character Unlock: Marth To unlock Marth from the Fire Emblem series, play Classic mode with all 14 regular characters (not ones you've unlocked). Marth will then challenge you; beat him to gain him as a selectable character.
Character Unlock: Marth - method 2 Alternatively, you can simply use every character as a human player in VS. Mode, and get a challenge from Marth that way.
Character Unlock: Jigglypuff To unlock Jigglypuff, simply complete the game in 1-P Mode at any difficulty/stock (Adventure or Classic).
Character Unlock: Luigi To unlock Luigi, in Adventure Mode, complete the stage with a 2 in the seconds meter (03:12:43 for example). You'll then view a scene where Luigi comes and kicks Mario away so he can fight you with Peach. Defeat them both, finish the game. Defeat luigi
Character Unlock: Ganondorf To unlock the evil Ganondorf, complete Event 29. You will then be challenged by Ganondorf; defeat him and you can play as him from then on.
Character Unlock: Falco To unlock Falco, you must complete the 100-Man Melee mode. Defeat Falco after you complete that, and you can play as him.
Character Unlock: Dr. Mario To unlock Dr. Mario, you must complete 1-P Classic Mode using Mario at any difficulty/stock and without continuing. Wink Wink Wink
Whong
Nice work, but you could have made it a bit more clearer, but great work anyway! Laughing

Whats your best Homerun record? Mine is 517,7 meters! Wink Idea
DeathMask
mine is about 724,2 m
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
mine is about 724,2 m

Man, how on earth did you get such a good score, and with which character!
Wow, thats extreamly cool dude! Congratulations, I've never seen anyone hit that well in the Homerun contest! Cool Laughing Idea

Please tell me how you did it I'd be very grateful! Wink Idea
DeathMask
well, first i made it with with ganodorf.
take the bat, then use the up and the A button to throw it in the air, then jump and do the kick with down and B. do this the times you can.
when the time runs out hit it whit the homerun bat
That's all! Smile
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
well, first i made it with with ganodorf.
take the bat, then use the up and the A button to throw it in the air, then jump and do the kick with down and B. do this the times you can.
when the time runs out hit it whit the homerun bat
That's all! Smile

I did the same way!

Check this out, I found it just a while ago, it could be helpfull!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Smash+Bros+Melee+Homerun
The way they do it is very difficult to do, but it is really good!

The pros sure know how to make it work! Wink Idea
DeathMask
thanks for the url the falco's one is good i wil try it and the ganondorf's is good too. Smile
DeathMask
hey one question, which is your lowest time in 10 man melee and with wath character????

Mine is with ganondorf and is 8.45 seconds Cool
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
hey one question, which is your lowest time in 10 man melee and with wath character????

Mine is with ganondorf and is 8.45 seconds Cool

I have to check it out, I don't remember at all! I'd be willing to bet that its either Roy, Ganondorf or Mario, but I'll check it out once I can Wink Idea
edit_text
I have always used the rather under-rated character. Peach. While most of my friends make fun of me for this, they are always unprepared for the passive method I use. Many times they will kill themself far more than I do them.

Another of my favorite ways of playing is to use the ice climbers. If both of them can get fans and you can trap your opponent in a corner you can have them to 300% or more in no time. When I first started doing this I would challenge friends to a match. I would tell them they could be whoever they wanted, and I could beat them with the Ice Climbers.

e_t
Whong
edi_text wrote:

Another of my favorite ways of playing is to use the ice climbers. If both of them can get fans and you can trap your opponent in a corner you can have them to 300% or more in no time. When I first started doing this I would challenge friends to a match. I would tell them they could be whoever they wanted, and I could beat them with the Ice Climbers.

e_t

Thats a very interesting tactic! I like to use Mario and throw my opponents all the time! Laughing
tony
mario is the best. same goes for the original n64 smash brothers.
Whong
It is really hard to battle guys like Captain Falcon or Sheik or Fox who are all immencely fast. They are really really fast and it makes it hard to attack them. What's your tactics with Mario tony Question

I've always played with Mario, except at one point I played with Roy and still do sometimes! Laughing Wink Idea
DeathMask
Whong wrote:
It is really hard to battle guys like Captain Falcon or Sheik or Fox who are all immencely fast. They are really really fast and it makes it hard to attack them. What's your tactics with Mario tony Question

I've always played with Mario, except at one point I played with Roy and still do sometimes! Laughing Wink Idea

Well i can see that ganondorf is very slow(example) but it doesn't matter you can kill the fastest players easy too if you know how to intercept them Cool
Whong
DeathMask wrote:
Whong wrote:

Well i can see that ganondorf is very slow(example) but it doesn't matter you can kill the fastest players easy too if you know how to intercept them Cool

Well, yeah it is true, but when playing with some one like Mario who is medium fast, medium strong. It really depends on the opponent and the tactics that he uses! Laughing

Are you guys good at wavedashing, I'm not, it is quite hard to do atleast repeatedly! Laughing Idea
Hippie
if you're good, the fast characters will ALWAYS own the slower ones, sheik is unbeatable if used well.
Whong
Hippie wrote:
if you're good, the fast characters will ALWAYS own the slower ones, sheik is unbeatable if used well.

Yeah, I agree with that. But it all depends on the tactics of the players. Even a player that is really good with Sheik may loose to someone just because he can't handle the tactic of the opponent! Idea

It would be a good thing to practice with atleast 3 characters who are totally different for example Mario, Sheik, Roy, Ganondorf. Then if you can play well with all of them you can choose a different character against a different opponent! Cool Wink Of course it is a hard thing to learn really well with those because they are so different! Idea
Hanpusu-kun
I dont know id this happens in other countrys, but in Sweden there has been a couple of big SSBM tournaments.

I have never gone to onw though :<
aznsensation
Nintendo needs to have more online play (expected with the Wii). I like using Marth, because the easiest way to win is simply juggle people in the air, which Marth is perfect for because of his swiftness. After accumilating damage, just use the forward + A smash attack to knock them out. This tactic takes a lot of practice (especially in multiplayer matches where different interruptions may occur), but once you get the hang of it, you'll be knocking everyone out a lot easier.
Whong
aznsensation wrote:
Nintendo needs to have more online play (expected with the Wii). I like using Marth, because the easiest way to win is simply juggle people in the air, which Marth is perfect for because of his swiftness. After accumilating damage, just use the forward + A smash attack to knock them out. This tactic takes a lot of practice (especially in multiplayer matches where different interruptions may occur), but once you get the hang of it, you'll be knocking everyone out a lot easier.

That sound like a really good tactic! Wink Idea

Thanks for the tip! Laughing Wink Idea
SuperLala
I liked Kirby best because flying makes it hard to knock Kirby off the edge. I also like Kirby's melee attacks. I am trying fox now. Statistics say that he is the best character.