FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac or Windows -- the cool vs. the shizznik

Massive-war
So people get macs because they look cool, or windows because they run faster. so which is it? What are computers for? Why on earth would you buy something for looks?
xuzhiwei
I own a Mac PowerBook and I love it. My previous two computers were PCsI built myself, and while I'm extremely comfortable with Wintel, I have fallen in love with the Mac. I love the look and feel of Mac hardware, the ease of use and reliability of OSX. I guess I would answer your question by saying that people buy certain computers because they want them to work without inconvenience. Macs work; PCs sometimes don't. And it doesn't hurt that they look good - form and function is a good combination.
Rocky3478
The above poster is right. Sometimes it doesn't matter in the long run if your computer is just a hair slower then a PC, because it never crashes. I've tried to crash my Powerbook, and I have certainly slowed it down, but never really crashed it.
Kd527
I agree here too. I also love the speed of the Mac too. I don't just buy a computer for the looks though. The good looks of the Mac is just a nice luxury you get in addition for the great performance and stability and security (big one!).
psycosquirrel
From my experience, Macs usually perform faster for their functions than PCs. In my opinion, PC's main use is office and gaming. Mac is for graphics, development, and other functional editing purposes. I can't stand editing movies on PC; it just does not work nearly as well as it does on Mac. Unfortunately, I do not own a mac. But once I can get a copy of Mac that runs on P4s, I will make my old machine a Mac.

Sure Macs are pretty, but that is only a plus Laughing It is not the reason people ever buy them. Also, people usually don't specifically buy PCs for speed, usually it is because PCs are compatible with almost everything.
angelussum
Macs are great with video editing.

And I do agree, people buy PCs because they are more compatible with everything, but all that is starting to change.
iammarty
in the past i use windows Laughing
Today i use Mac OS Very Happy
now i love mac it is very easy, fast and stable. This OS performance and beutiful come together. Wink
kiranaghor
Apple packs up everything that is latest and reliable in a beutiful pack so it is value for money. My osx never crashed for last whole year.
And they are neck to neck with windows if the speed is considered. Mac is real horse if one wants to do graphics and animation stuff.
Srs2388
If I had a choice right now I would have one of the new MacBook Pro's
with duo core
because I am a guitarist and i do alot of recording and I also use photoshop somewhat
and i edit audio files
and with all this the PC does okay but I'd love to use a mac instead for that
but not hating on my PC...
it has slowed down alot and crashes more than it should.
overall a mac would prove WAY more usefull for me
but someone who just browses the net and dosn't do alot
it would still be good but a PC would do
I think next im going to buy an Acer Aspire laptop and install OSX on it and no windows at all
{name here}
PCs have much more capability to look better, perform faster, better, stronger, and more stable than a mac. Take the Intellisation POWER as an example.
I like linux and freebsd because I can take out all the fancy crap that wastes processor cycles and eats up memory that I don't need. I'm a minimalist when it comes to GUIs.
Xeniczone
Shocked MACS RUN SLOWER THEN WINDOWS!!!! Shocked WHAT ARE YOU SMOKEN'

Mac os x (the "fansy" version of mac) takes less cpu % then windows xp ("fansy" version of windows)

I run Mac os X on a 350mhz cpu just fine. Windows Xp I had problems running a 350mhz pentium2. The 450mhz p2 work ok... The amd at 475mhz proformed better then the pentium2.

Windows Vista runs buggy on a pentium 3 I have tried to run it on a pentium 2 but it ignored the install cd.

Windows Vista will be competeing with Mac OS X leaperd (10.6.-)

I already Have plans to test lepard on my g3 if it is support if not I will just use a hack I find to make it run on a g3.

Windows has 2 downfalls. It kills the CPU and it look like crap.

Thats Right I pick MACINTOSH.
ForceRun
I agree with most of you, except:
Quote:
PCs have much more capability to look better, perform faster, better, stronger, and more stable than a mac. Take the Intellisation POWER as an example.
I like linux and freebsd because I can take out all the fancy crap that wastes processor cycles and eats up memory that I don't need. I'm a minimalist when it comes to GUIs.

I don't think this guy knows much about anything...

I grew up on Macs and back then they total beat Windows in every department. Then I discovered Halflife and Counter-Strike, simply put Macs don't do high end games. So I switched about 8 years ago. My father does Video, Audio, and Photo editing on his old 500Mhz Mac (soon to finally upgrade) and his old Mac, mainly because of Software beats my Machine at all that. Sure mine is faster but the newer Macs are a ton faster. Windows Software sucks; it just is way to buggy, unstable, powerless, and overall worthless when compared to a Mac on Video, Audio, and Photo editing. It in my eyes is a simple fact Macs have their place and windows can try to copy, but to this day falls way short. Macs total design for their systems is ground up (hardware, firmware, and software plus OS) is built for Video, Audio, and Photo editing. Windows based systems for the most part are built piece by piece and it sometimes is pure luck that Windows is able to run on the system at all, let a long run Apps well.

Windows has 95% and Macs a growing 5% of the computer world market. PCs are better at gaming simply because they don't make highend games, so the software and hardware for gaming is only found on Windows. Same with compabatiblity. I really cann't think of anything else Windows can do better than Macs. I guess PCs have higher speeds and specs, but Macs are able to be much more effect with system/CPU power, so PCs don't win that either...
marcmgeronimo
although i am always tempted to buy a mac, i always consider first the main reason why i am buying a computer... i do lots of programming works most of the softwares (ide, scripting guis, etc... ) i used in programming are all windows based (though some have linux counterparts)... if i buy a mac, it wouldn't be efficient enough for my tasks... for this reason... i'll choose windows as my OS.
ocalhoun
The reason I don't buy a mac: PRICE!
Everyone here has seemingly forgotten that PC's are far cheaper.
{name here}
ForceRun wrote:
I agree with most of you, except:
Quote:

I don't think this guy knows much about anything...

I grew up on Macs and back then they total beat Windows in every department. Then I discovered Halflife and Counter-Strike, simply put Macs don't do high end games. So I switched about 8 years ago. My father does Video, Audio, and Photo editing on his old 500Mhz Mac (soon to finally upgrade) and his old Mac, mainly because of Software beats my Machine at all that. Sure mine is faster but the newer Macs are a ton faster. Windows Software sucks; it just is way to buggy, unstable, powerless, and overall worthless when compared to a Mac on Video, Audio, and Photo editing. It in my eyes is a simple fact Macs have their place and windows can try to copy, but to this day falls way short. Macs total design for their systems is ground up (hardware, firmware, and software plus OS) is built for Video, Audio, and Photo editing. Windows based systems for the most part are built piece by piece and it sometimes is pure luck that Windows is able to run on the system at all, let a long run Apps well.

Windows has 95% and Macs a growing 5% of the computer world market. PCs are better at gaming simply because they don't make highend games, so the software and hardware for gaming is only found on Windows. Same with compabatiblity. I really cann't think of anything else Windows can do better than Macs. I guess PCs have higher speeds and specs, but Macs are able to be much more effect with system/CPU power, so PCs don't win that either...

Tell me, are mainframes - requireing paramount stability - made by apple, or IBM? IBM makes mainframes and not Apple. Which is more successful in the server market, Free UNIX based operating systems on a PC Server or OS X server with a PowerMac? They choose the UNIX system over OS X. Do the professional game designers and developers at Midway and Valve use a Windows based PC or a Mac? They use windows based PCs over Macs.
I fail to see Macs to be superiour when even the pros are using Windows based PCs. The most powerful mac is the PowerMac, and that still pales to the PCs that are used for professional grade game developing on major consoles. If the Mac is sooooooooooooooooo superiour, why don't they use it?
If the Mac is sooooooooooooooooo superiour, then why don't people use OS X versus Linux in servers?
If the Mac is sooooooooooooooooo superiour, why doesn't the Chilean Public Constructio Ministry the U of M, or Adobe use Macs vs OpenBSD?
I fail to see the superiourity.
Xeniczone
Yeh don't they because it requires different hardware then what the "standard" (i guess most would refer it to).

PRICE PRICE YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PRICE OF A MAC.

Lets see cheapest mac is 800 i think the mac mini

1 core 1.8ghz i think it is a reasonable speed for a core solo. What makes mac so expencive. The specs are about the same as a windows computer with similar price.

Ok, you want to argue that the imac is the expensive one.

Hmmm, 17" widescreen lcd. a 2 core cpu WOW thats not a standard on bios based computers. Most of them are still single core. 2mb cache pritty nice. 1400. Good price for all your getting o and you get the mighty mouse too yay

Well the Powermac g5. The "most upgradable" mac without taking apart small and complex caseing. a maximum of a 4 cpu cores (2 dual core cpus) 2.5ghz g5. Mac OS X 10.4.6 not bad for saying it is 3000 dollars. Yeh that is probably the overpriced mac but you get what I mean. If your not buying a mac mini because the powermac is overpriced. Hmm.. Your retarted.

I think some people here do not talk from experiance they talk from what their beleafs are. They have never left their stupid box of windows to move to BSD, Linux or Macintosh. I have tried all 3 here is my rating.

Mac OS X: A: great driver support for all my hardware except my radion 9200se. Kinda disapointed but it was too slow for games so I'm not making a big deal out of it. If I bought a new one it would come with a better grx card anyway.

Mac OS 9: C+: (today) B (when newer). I gave this one a little lower then os x. Today I had almost no hardware support except what came in the box. Finding software was heak and hard to find even on the web. When it was newer it still had that hardware lack but software was easy to find.

Linux SuSe and Mandrake(mandriva): A-: Great, software came with it no need for searching for more. Got a list of games. Mazilla Firefox. Star Office. Yet still lost driver support for my wireless card and I was never able to get internet connection with my wireless card.

Windows 98SE B: Although restarting everytime hardware was added this was a good OS. I got this in the second computer I had. Software is still easy to find today. Drivers are easy to find today. And unlike most windows oses When this one gets the blue screen of death more then 5/6 of the time you could push enter and return to windows. why did I rate it lower. 1 it isn't based on the NT kernal. 2. Little support from the first class microsoft. Apple at least makes forums for their out of date hardware.

Windows XP D: SUCKS, SUCKS, I didn't give it an F because of hardware and software support. I droped it so low because of stability. Halo crashes. Viruses attracted even with the full live updated nortan internet sucurity with firewall and scans every 2 weeks. Programs end with for no reason. Had more bsods distroy my work then ever. CPU HOG. Although it has the most software and hardware out thier this is also the most unstable one out their. Good JOB Microsoft fix it in Vista PLEASE even if you dont fix the stupid cpu hog. You can't even run older software on it without geting an error and most the time the compadibilty thing doesnt work. at least Macintosh added classic support to their os that ACCUALLY WORKS

Quote:
The most powerful mac is the PowerMac, and that still pales to the PCs that
Not true. In resent test the iMacs with intel cpus out proform the PowerMac. Though many disagree with Apple using Intel I agree with it. It out proforms the Duel core powermac, and when core duos come out on the Powermacs With the 4 core ones Bios Based PCs Don't stand a chance. Thier isn't a normal computer out their that is 4 core. Only ones I have seen are servers.

You can use Darwin. With either hardware as a server. Though darwin is considered More UNIX then MACish.

Another advantage of Apple is their hardware holds their Value. And because apple is the only company that makes mac compadible computers (without hacks) They adventcually become collectibles.

For example:
A G3 Powermac at 350mhz would cost you about 100 dollars to buy even though they are just as old as a pentium 2 at 350mhz and only cost 10 dollars to buy.

Sure for the Power macs you pay more but the same for a Imac. It holds it value better then the powermacs. They cost about 120 today a g3 350mhz. Though if your lucky and find someone desperate to get rid of it you may find one for 50. I picked one up for 5 dollars broken though but cool. (makes a great fish tank Razz)
{name here}
Quote:
Not true. In resent test the iMacs with intel cpus out proform the PowerMac. Though many disagree with Apple using Intel I agree with it. It out proforms the Duel core powermac, and when core duos come out on the Powermacs With the 4 core ones Bios Based PCs Don't stand a chance. Thier isn't a normal computer out their that is 4 core. Only ones I have seen are servers.

Thanks for the info. I nevr knew that...
kuisong.tong
Last year, my wife bought an iBook G4. When I had tried to use it working daily, I had fallen in love with Mac, and bought a Mac Mini to exchange iBook with my wife.

I have used windows about 10 years, and tried several Linux distributions, but personally, I love Mac OS. Because Mac has pros from Windows and Unix, such as good human interface, power script, and stability.

In my experience, Mac isn’t slower than Windows. Only inconvenience is some software hasn’t Mac edition, I have to use virtual PC for it.
guissmo
I HATE WINDOWS...

...even I haven't tried Mac yet, I'm sure I could get along with it...
undoweb
guissmo wrote:
I HATE WINDOWS...

...even I haven't tried Mac yet, I'm sure I could get along with it...

Whell, peoples hates bugdos becouse its a comercial used in mass becouse is cheaper and it is used by many peoples. You are talking about windows like that becouse you are bored!

Now lets talk about Mac.

Whell, macintosh is cool.
I love:
my mac g3 350 mgz 256 mb
my ipod
On my iMac g3 350 I have Macos X10.4 Tiger and its cool! Whell there a loot of software for macintosh so..!! USE MACINTOSH !!
Xeniczone
Quote:
Whell, macintosh is cool.
I love:
my mac g3 350 mgz 256 mb
my ipod
On my iMac g3 350 I have Macos X10.4 Tiger and its cool! Whell there a loot of software for macintosh so..!! USE MACINTOSH !!

Ok, tell me this. You and me have the same 350mhz mac. (except mine has more ram and crap), but the cpu are the same. Do you have times when the OS slows down or anything. Because I tried windows xp on a pentium 2 at 350mhz and it would run fine till you tried to do something and it would slow the crap down like crazy for example running internet explorer would kill it. My G3 at 350mhz runs great it doesn't slow down ever. I had iTunes firefox msn messanger and adobe imageready without signs of it slowing down.
Balthamos
Wow, never expected to find so many pro-Mac users here. Well, this is shaping up to look like a nice set of forums. I use a single 1.6MHz PowerMac, and it works just fine for me. Also used Windows in the past, and all I can say that I'm glad I switched Wink.

Now I have hit this discussion many times, and it always ends with the ignorant Windows kid throwing around words he doesn't know, but they manage to "win" the argument because of their sheer numbers. Well, here's a pretty nice line that basically sums up everything:

Windows is built for masses. Quality is not a factor, and the computers running such can be cheaply built and cheaply sold in high quantities. This computer can be found in businesses or something that requires basically a few circuit boards and a carbon based life form to operate a word processor.

Macs are built with quality in mind. These computers are designed to work seamlessly with the user and with the user in mind. Not only can these machines work with word processors, but they also have the capability of easily editing video and audio, among other things, in an intuitive way.

It just so happens that the popularity of Windows outweighs that of Mac because of the pricing. And because the numbers are on the side of Windows, developers aim more towards them, because the higher the market, the higher the pay. Since Macs are toward the lower end, developers then to develop less for the Macs, as it is not cost effective.

So if you care what you do with your computer, then you buy a Mac, simple. If you don't care about your computer and just want a word processor with internet, then get a Dell or some other Windows ready computer. Likewise in other terms, Windows will never be able to shape up to OS X, ever, because of this balance of power. I will try not to get into how Gates likes to steal ideas, but you can trace back through the development of Windows and be able to find traces of code from the earliest versions of Windows. Such a method is called spaghetti code, which grants Windows of it's predictable nature of being unpredictable and virus ridden, with backdoors out the ears.

~Balthamos
Xeniczone
Quote:
It just so happens that the popularity of Windows outweighs that of Mac because of the pricing. And because the numbers are on the side of Windows, developers aim more towards them, because the higher the market, the higher the pay. Since Macs are toward the lower end, developers then to develop less for the Macs, as it is not cost effective.

This is a number one argument that pro-windows fans use. They say crap like "I can buy a Dell for 500 dollars and the cheapest mac is 900 dollars suck that."

Well first off if they knew anything about comptuers they would know that comptuer is built at low standards and uses a low class Celeron CPU. Meaning you can have all the speed in the world but your not getting anywhere because the cache in these cpus are so low (128kbs) it would only process at that limit. On the other Hand Apple is using Intel Core Duos. They have a High amount of cache (2mbs) and a resonable amount of speed (2ghz)

Quote:
Windows is built for masses. Quality is not a factor, and ...

Quality in a windows comptuer only matters in the higher class machines. For example the Dell XPSs'. They are well built and have a high class CPU, but that is where the first argument comes in they cost 1000-2000 dollars even more. So why do people argue about price???

Other then a DIY job.
dyrtyrice
There is no argument, proprietary hardware sucks as does OSX, it's like Linux, but not as good. I dual-boot with Linux and Windows and I've decided macs are for retards and not serious computer users. Proprietary software sucks as well. Yes Mac has UNIX or Darwin in the source, but that doesn't keep it from sucking. Macs are for lazy people that want Apple to take care of everything for them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794
Xeniczone
Quote:
There is no argument, proprietary hardware sucks as does OSX, it's like Linux, but not as good. I dual-boot with Linux and Windows and I've decided macs are for retards and not serious computer users. Proprietary software sucks as well. Yes Mac has UNIX or Darwin in the source, but that doesn't keep it from sucking. Macs are for lazy people that want Apple to take care of everything for them.

Macintoshes are for people that want a way of combineing high support sucerity and a decent amount of apps.

The reason it runs on prorietary hardware is because Apple did somthing about 3rd party companies and IBM didn't. Apple took action when 3rd party companies came out. IBM didn't and they suffered and suffered well for it. They suffered so bad they had to sell there computer share of the company to some other place. You can even conferm this by looking up Apple Clones in wikipedia.

Apple also keeps it own hardware with some 3rd party hardware support like hard drives, dvd-roms, memory, and usb devices. The only thing different is they don't use a standard ATX size or type of motherboard, but If your going to accuse Apple of this you might as well never buy a computer in your life again. eg. Dell also doesn't use standard motherboards. Their motherboard are so large they don't fit in a universal ATX case.

o, the macintosh is for lazy people. That is why so many people complain of the price. I don't work hard enough at my job or I work at mcdonald so I can't aford a mac I like to buy 300 dollar celerons from dell and I alway wonder why my computer SUCK BALLS.

Now windows that is for lazy people. It is cheap load of crap put together to make 1 man rich. That is all it is. He doesn't care about your personal sucerity if he really did he would have windows spyware tell you norton is a virus or have windows have so many errors in security.

That video you have posted is some douch bag trying to run the least software on ancent hardware. He is also refering to stuff being deleted and you have to get norton. You delete something on windows it's gone. I don't give a shit what he says dos can't do shit about it, and you know what WINDOWS NT KERNAL DOESN'T RELAY ON DOS. He is refering to windows <3.1, 95 ,98 and me kernals. Microsoft doesn't even use these kernal because they seriously lack sucerity.
He also sayz "if you move your mouse to the bottom the dock menu pops up and bugs you" or something like that. TURN THE POP UP FEATURE OFF YOU DUMB SHIT.
Useing a peice of software to shut down a mac. Nope never happened to me. MAY BE IT's BECAUSE YOUR USING A G3 AND NOT A G4. MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOUR USING A IMAC AND NOT A POWERMAC. MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOUR USING A 233MHZ IMAC.
it only creates shortcuts when you drag and drop. Sorry dude this just isn't true end of story.
And auto-run cd. what doesn't windows have these too. WTF are you talking about.
system locks up. Maybe it's because you just trashed a drive that was in use dumb nut.
Update manager doesn't bounce up and down. You just have to click on it and exit. maybe if you keeped your system upto date or turned off the auto update.
To use update manager you check the programs you want updating and click update not that hard buddy.

GOD DAMN you want me to make a list of problems with windows explaining every little detail that this guy had to go into because he had problems trying to find issue then I will.
waffy
I love Mac's because of OS X and because I just find it much more reliable than Windows. I've been a Mac user for less than a year, but I'm real glad I switched. Wink
looksbad
BTW Windows isnt for speed.. its the slowest OS ive used and ive used most versions of linux ive used mac and windows doesnt compare to any of them in speed.. (oh and windows was using the faster of the processors and had the better ram)

Windows-compatibility.. games ect.
Mac-video editing most things..
Linux-everything else but games.. linux is my fav Smile
Josso
I was just about to start a thread about this but I thought it would be a stupid idea without searching. I was thinking maybe a poll but nevermind.

Anyway here we go...

I've used a Windows since about 1997. Before that I used a Macintosh OS. I've argued different sides of the Apple vs Microsoft over the years and have come to one big conclusion. Apples are faster (seriously, I've seen exact same computer hardware running Macintosh, opens everything twice as fast). But let's face it people Windows has got the most compatibility on the internet. A lot of very useful tools ONLY produced for that OS. There are serious advantages on the gaming side for Windows... Generally compatiblity comes into that again for the little tweaks and even a lot of the time the games themselves are only designed for Windows.

When I've got a regular income and have left home I mostly see myself having both a Windows and a Macintosh... why? Because Macintosh is 100x better for artwork, film editing (one of my main interests), and music. These are all big parts of my life and I like having the flexibility to create something without it crashing or not being as flexible as the Macintosh software. But at the same time I love gaming and also being compatible with almost everything... and I'm USED to this OS as well.

Hope that made sense Confused
I'm not exactly great at grammar.
riv
Macs are pretty powerful, and they can run as fast or faster than Windows. My trusty iBook hasn't gotten a kernal panic (crashed) ever, except for the time it got a nasty little hit near the cpu. But I rebooted, and it worked perfectly again.
evilryu530
macs are pretty cool. i mean the os is nice, the design of the hardware is way nicer, not just for looks, but the design actually serves some functions, i won't get into that. and now with it's ability to run windows on the new mac pros, why not?? But, the only downfall to macs are it isn't as affordable, not as easy to upgrade, not nearly as much software for it compared to windows, etc.
the-geek
Massive-war wrote:
So people get macs because they look cool, or windows because they run faster. so which is it? What are computers for? Why on earth would you buy something for looks?

MAC is like you download a winamp or anything same and get a huge sized, colored, shining, heart throbbing, eyes rolling skin. then you play the track and keep your eyes on the winamp only and think wow what a skin you have for your winamp...
i and whole lot of people doesnt count much about the look if its first and has whatever resource/s
its all about speed and availability
Xeniczone
Quote:
ts all about speed and availability

Well thank god Apple has both and good looks.
the-geek
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
ts all about speed and availability

Well thank god Apple has both and good looks.

own a PIII
Xeniczone
Quote:
own a PIII

A g3 will. You can get G3's that run at 1.1ghz. With no major issues with heat. They had to have a recall on the pentium 3's that exceded 1 ghz.

The 1ghz g3 accually proforms better then a 1ghz P3. Then came the g4 Very Happy.

G5 is lost compared to the new pentiums. Well that expains why the switch to intel.
Kd527
Well, I know that I'm never going back to the PC. They're just too much of a headache (not just windoze, but Linux too, although Linux is much more stable than windoze).

And of course now Macs are even cooler because of the ability to run PC OSs as well. Parallels or Boot Camp, both are pretty cool. Smile
Xeniczone
Quote:
Well, I know that I'm never going back to the PC. They're just too much of a headache (not just windoze, but Linux too, although Linux is much more stable than windoze).

And of course now Macs are even cooler because of the ability to run PC OSs as well. Parallels or Boot Camp, both are pretty cool.

Linux isn't really a issue.

The major problem with linux is setting it up. Though it is very easy to install, Setting up some stuff is hard. I had suse linux 10 up and running it was great. I had games, firefox, staroffice, and some nice software for my ATI video card.

Problem is I spent about 1hr trying but I could never get my wireless card to connect to the internet. Edventually I gave up and reinstalled windows xp.

Since then I have gotten a mac. Once I had gotten OS X for it, I was crusing. Had it connected to the internet in 5 mins. Had games firefox etc. The only thing I regrete about buying this mac is buying a g3 and not a g4.
foodman
well iv read all of the posts here and im wondering what would be a beter purchuse for a laptop, a mac or a pc? i need it for daily work and basic computeing but i need a real reliable computer.

from what i know macs almost never crash and they can now run windows xp on them and are far more secure. even though macs are a bit more pricey. and all the errors ans desighn flaws in windows is a huge minus.am i right ?
whats the best decision ?