FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is windowmaker proyect dead??

vnieto
Are you listening abouth windowmaker page?? www.windowmaker.org

is this proyect dead??
Donutey
well it was last cached by google a month ago... so it's been up till April 3rd.
{name here}
It's probably some server troubles, but I suggest you don't worry about a window manager like that...
lukeropro
what's windowmaker anyway?
phx777
damn kinda liked windowmaker... it really rocked if you customised it right Smile
ocalhoun
I use windowmaker all the time! I shure hope they don't stop supporting and upgrading it!
fatihalp89
it didnt work

can you explain this
Arrow
phx777
www.windowmaker.info

you might try to learn to use google Razz
martindecorte
I don't know if it's dead or not, but it should Wink
It surely was useful at the beginning, since it was lightweight & new. But now there are many better window managers, even lightweighted.
nhuabo
vnieto wrote:
Are you listening abouth windowmaker page?? www.windowmaker.org

is this proyect dead??

What is Window Maker?I haven't heard it before.
It's about desktop,linux? I don't know!
martindecorte
nhuabo wrote:
What is Window Maker?I haven't heard it before.
It's about desktop,linux? I don't know!

It's a window manager for Linux. You know, Linux is basically console-based, and you can choose your window manager if you want a graphical interface.

You could compare windowmaker with KDE or Gnome, since their first functionality is the same: provide a graphical interface.

But windowmaker is really really old, and not really usable in my opinion.
grantmaster
I don't know if it's dead or not, but it points out one of the basic flaws in the Linux system.

For the most part the developers of software for Linux are doing it for free!

They get any income for thier efforts through donations or grants (and there are precious few of those).

So I would ask (beg). If you like a free software product then send them a donation. It doesn't have to be huge, 10 or 20 US is a lot to most people.

It's the nature of the free information system (Internet) that many people get to have the benefits of a free product. If only a small percentage of them send a donation, then the developer can keep developing, and the whole system just keeps working.

Or you can just send your whole paycheck to Microsoft or Adobe or ???
corey
From the project's news page:
Quote:
The project is not dead, folks. Quite simply, Alfredo Kojima and Dan Pascu, the two primary programmers, have been extremely busy with real life. Despite this fact, there has been and continues to be a lot of activity (cvs commits, wm-dev list discussion, etc.). The biggest hold up at the moment is updating all parts of Window Maker to support Freetype2. This has been a huge undertaking on Alfredo and Dan's part, and there is still a ways to go.
root
corey
You know, Windowmaker has enough applications that are tailored to it (even a desktop manager - WINGS), that it could be considered a desktop environment as well. Its just missing a filemanager with its name on it.