FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is there any SENSE in LIFE?






What is the sense of life?
Success in life!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sex!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
To help other people!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
High Status!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Become part of God!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
To go to heaven!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
To get born, grow up, get ill and die!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
To have a lot of fun!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
To be rich!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
To become enlightend!
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

Gerhard Schwenke
Quote:
"Why do we live???"


This question is as old as Religion and Philosophie. Since this time many views, opinions, knowledge and concepts have arisen. Every religion and section of philosophie declares to know the ultimate truth or to have the right answer. Still there is no conclution, they are searching and seeking, turning it to this side and that side but it seems not to be round.

The truth is often nearer than you think. You only have not the eyesight to mark it out. They try to find or create something which is still there. Right here, right now. The sense of life is not something which has to be fullfilled. Everybody is living the sense of life but mostly without knowing.
It's not possible to change the laws of nature. Some people or most all beings try to adjust the nature to their wishes or likes and what is the result? Suffer, nearly without and end!!! This is also nature and in the line of the living sense. It's one step of accumulating knowledge. Accumulating knowledge to know the nature, to know how everything works, to know what is me and not, to become free of this jail of illusion, views, conceit, hate and craving.

To know truely about this you have to practice by yourself. No God, no Angel, no Teacher, no Guru, no Buddha can implantate you wisdom, can free you form suffering.

To be continued...
Juparis
As I understand it, you believe that we live to discover the world and understand it, correct? (That's a very big generalization, I realize)

My religion preaches that we must believe in God and Christ as our Saviour. That's a reputable message to send out, and it deffinitely gives life a purpose for billions of people worldwide, however there's anoter side of me that disagrees--if faith is wrong, then what is the purpose of ever living?

Boiled down, we live to reproduce. We're born, reproduce (most of us, anyway), and later die. There is nothing more to it unless there are other factors in this universe to be considered--that's where religion plays in.

At least that's my take on it..
Gerhard Schwenke
Dear Juparis,

do you think I can list everything which we have to learn or can learn in one day? Not even in 1 million years!!!! Very Happy It's a big generalization because even the informations which you can imagine is a very big amount of knowledge. Only imagine how long it took to collect the informations to run a human body! You think you can learn this in one live or in the 9 month in your mothers abdomen? Laughing 20000 prozesses each second in every single cell, billions of cells in one body so more than 20000 billions of prozesses in every second to control or keep in balance. With your little mind you can control only about 100 prozesses simulataniously. You see the difference? Because of your not knowing you would say this is nature or god was inventing the body. As in the past when there was a lightning they said "Zeus is punishing us.".

Quote:
My religion preaches that we must believe in God and Christ as our Saviour. That's a reputable message to send out, and it deffinitely gives life a purpose for billions of people worldwide


This sense of life might be matching now with your amount of knowledge. Thats why there are so many religions because the people have different wisdom or understanding. A Buddhist is not better than a Christian or a Muslim than a Hindu. They are only at a different level of understanding. Some are existing longer than others some are adicted to something and turning a long time on the same place, ... .

So if this is logic for you or reasonable or just feels good it's as it is. That's why the Buddhist religion doesn't have wars or things like that in their history. They understand and so they don't try to convience someone. They offer their knowledge but they do not force others like in for example your religion. This is just because of different understanding of the nature, yourself and the world.


Quote:
As I understand it, you believe that we live to discover the world and understand it, correct?


These is not the right order. To understand the world you have first to know yourself! When you know yourself you know the world.


Quote:
if faith is wrong, then what is the purpose of ever living?


Believing is not knowing! So you will never be able to be sure! Think about it if you want to know or just blind believe because billions of others do as well. But don't be afraid or panic. Once you will know because everybody is going on the same way. Try your best and let the rest to the nature.


Best wishes,
A practitioner
Juparis
Gerhard Schwenke wrote:
Dear Juparis,

do you think I can list everything which we have to learn or can learn in one day? Not even in 1 million years!!!! Very Happy It's a big generalization because even the informations which you can imagine is a very big amount of knowledge. Only imagine how long it took to collect the informations to run a human body! You think you can learn this in one live or in the 9 month in your mothers abdomen? Laughing 20000 prozesses each second in every single cell, billions of cells in one body so more than 20000 billions of prozesses in every second to control or keep in balance. With your little mind you can control only about 100 prozesses simulataniously. You see the difference? Because of your not knowing you would say this is nature or god was inventing the body. As in the past when there was a lightning they said "Zeus is punishing us.".

Very true; there's just too much for any one person to simply "know." It's amazing to see how much the human population in general has learned/discovered in the last 100 years alone. Immagine what the future holds (assuming we don't kill eachother before getting anywhere).

Quote:
This sense of life might be matching now with your amount of knowledge. Thats why there are so many religions because the people have different wisdom or understanding. A Buddhist is not better than a Christian or a Muslim than a Hindu. They are only at a different level of understanding. Some are existing longer than others some are adicted to something and turning a long time on the same place, ... .

So if this is logic for you or reasonable or just feels good it's as it is. That's why the Buddhist religion doesn't have wars or things like that in their history. They understand and so they don't try to convience someone. They offer their knowledge but they do not force others like in for example your religion. This is just because of different understanding of the nature, yourself and the world.

I'm not sure I could go as far as saying we're (all people in general) at different levels of knowledge or understanding. Rather, I'd suggest that we apply our knowledge to different areas of life (physical or spiritual). It's not how much you know or understand, but what you know and understand. A Buddhist, for example, may never come to know half of the mathematic algorithms a Jewish mathematician writes each night, however that same Jew may never even contemplate on existence in general or what is real. In the same way, I think Christians/Muslims/Jews/etc. may find themselves better suited to accept the message because of practicality in a modern world. I can't say much on Buddhists, but there is other knowledge to be gained (we just agreed on the vastness of knowledge in general, correct?) and applied, not just a different level. Hence, the vast difference in each religion's principles and teachings.. (...I think)

Quote:
These is not the right order. To understand the world you have first to know yourself! When you know yourself you know the world.

So you're saying I should first ask the question "Who Am I?"?
We are who we perceive others seeing us as being. We have the freedom to become whomever we want, with the restriction that we may never know who we really are without socializing. Could you agree to that?
That may be a dumbed-down teenage solution to the question, but I'm curious about how one would apply self-identity with the knowledge of the world..


Quote:

Believing is not knowing! So you will never be able to be sure! Think about it if you want to know or just blind believe because billions of others do as well. But don't be afraid or panic. Once you will know because everybody is going on the same way. Try your best and let the rest to the nature.

Some inspirational words, might I say. Christianity is a blind faith, yes, however I think Buddhism may not be the complete knowledge of the universe as you seem to imply. Then again, I don't know many of the teachings in the first place, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always willing to learn.
Gerhard Schwenke
Level might be not the proper word because you imply up and down. Amount of knowledge or understanding is better!!

Quote:
I'm not sure I could go as far as saying we're (all people in general) at different levels of knowledge or understanding.


Ok please show me only two people with the same knowledge! Shocked


Quote:
We are who we perceive others seeing us as being. We have the freedom to become whomever we want, with the restriction that we may never know who we really are without socializing. Could you agree to that?


Short answer, No. What do others see, hear and so on? A body, speech and maybe thoughts. None of them is you! You have to start to investigate yourself and than you will know everything. Nobody can cheat you then anymore. The things you talking about (Status, Power, Roles, ...) is also not you. You put all your energy in something which is not you or has any self.


Quote:
I think Buddhism may not be the complete knowledge of the universe as you seem to imply. Then again, I don't know many of the teachings in the first place, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always willing to learn.


As you wish. The Buddha has the complete knowledge about the universe and more. One today living Buddhist don't has all the knowledge about the universe. The Buddha taught, when you compare, only one leaf from a forest. All his teachings are only abaut this one leaf. There are so much informations more which you don't need to become free of suffering, stop the cycle of rebirth. The most important things yes the Buddhist know for sure!!! Don't believe me become one of the knower.

Best wishes,
a practitioner
Juparis
Gerhard Schwenke wrote:
Level might be not the proper word because you imply up and down. Amount of knowledge or understanding is better!!


Again, I'm not sure I could agree to that because it implies something like one is smarter than another. Pure volume of knowledge is immesurable; if it was, then I'm sure Steve Hawking would be god.

Quote:

Ok please show me only two people with the same knowledge! Shocked

But my whole point is just that: no two people have the same knowledge! So how can you say that one has more knowledge than the other, if they both know equal amounts in separate subjects? It's not the amount of knowledge, but what the knowledge actually is.


Quote:
Short answer, No. What do others see, hear and so on? A body, speech and maybe thoughts. None of them is you! You have to start to investigate yourself and than you will know everything. Nobody can cheat you then anymore. The things you talking about (Status, Power, Roles, ...) is also not you. You put all your energy in something which is not you or has any self.

I think we are talking about two different aspects of self-discovery. I think you are talking about the physical self--the human being. I, however, am referring to our self-image, such as what you may think your personality is. To me, discovering one's self-identity is more important than knowing which elements compose human anatomy.
Gerhard Schwenke
Quote:
Again, I'm not sure I could agree to that because it implies something like one is smarter than another. Pure volume of knowledge is immesurable; if it was, then I'm sure Steve Hawking would be god.


Sorry we missunderstand again. Nobody is smarter or something. You implied this meaning not I. There exists no difference but also nothing is equal. Hope you can follow a litlle. You can not compare a tree with a watch. The same is when you compare two people. It's just a concept to understand. As I said one is maybe collecting a longer time than another person so because of this fact one knows more than than the other one. It's like one is a baby and one a 60 years old man. This means not the 60 years old man is smarter or whatever. Don't think in polarity. This is just a creation of your mind. Not real.


Quote:
It's not the amount of knowledge, but what the knowledge actually is.


Exactly i don't mean knowledge in the common way. Sorry that I was not specifing it. Sure at first everybody needs the common knowledge to become a human. This takes million of years. Than you accumilate the knowledge I was talking about for entering into the next 'evolution step' (it don't mean that this are special people or smarter ones). You (not the 'you' what you think) will come to the understanding, to be reborn is suffering. So you don't want to have a body again. You realize that you don't need a body to exist.

Now this is very deep knowledge and very comprimized so you will not be able to follow me. So if you really want to know (through only asking you will not!!!!!!!!!!!!!) investigate (and I don't mean any atoms or something like you think) how the mind works, what the mind is, how the body works and what he is, about nature laws (the Three Characteristics - search in I-Net - , Karma and depending Origination)


Quote:
I think we are talking about two different aspects of self-discovery.


Not only two different, three different things! Very Happy Both examples i don't mean. Both is not you. Because you have an different picture of yourself (actually an illusion) you get a different imagination about self-discovery. It's like I was first thinking before I started to study. So it's normal. Smile


The best would be you read a little bit stuff from Ajahn Chah. Search for him in the internet. Read the topic - Buddhism - in this forum. There is standing also some basic and advanced knowledge just to be able to understand and not missunderstand like now many times each other. It's worthy i promise you!!


Best wishes,
A practitioner
dahan
HI
we are il life to adore Allah and to follow the path of his prophets. in this times(today) we must follow the path of Mohammad(Salla Allah alayhi wa sallam). But who is Mohammad?. you can knew by visiting this link :
http://www.islamway.com/mohammad/
I belive in this deeply. if someone give me the money of the world i'll not change my belief. its my life and its my my death.
I ask Allah to gather us, Alla in paradise
HI
Juparis
That is very honorable, dahan. Don't let others, nor (especially) physical materials like money change your faith. If you would to ever feel weak in your beliefs, just keep your mind open. Don't let biased opinions of others make decisions for you.

But I think you already knew that. Wink
Soulfire
Existence has always been up for question. Just why are we here? How did we get here? What is our purpose. If you are religious (specifically Christian), I recommend the book: The Purpose Driven Life by "Warren." All it gave was his last name. Anyways, it's a branch off of the series "The Purpose Driven Church" and we were given the opporunity to read it during the 40 days of Lent last year. It has 40 chapters (coincidence?).

It is my personal belief that you are living on this earth to test your loyalty to God, and ultimately make your way into Heaven.
a_dubDesign
Soulfire wrote:
I recommend the book: The Purpose Driven Life by "Warren." All it gave was his last name. Anyways, it's a branch off of the series "The Purpose Driven Church" and we were given the opporunity to read it during the 40 days of Lent last year. It has 40 chapters (coincidence?).

His first name is Rick.
Couple of questions for ya.

What do you mean by given the opportunity to read it during the 40 days of lent?

Did you read it? Theres a couple of reasons I ask. One is not knowing his first name and saying that all "it" gave was his last name, when his first and last name is plastered across the top of the the book cover and on the bottom of the journal. That actually leads me to the question of what this "it" is. The second reason I asked if you have read the book is that he spends a fair amount of time addressing why it has 40 chapters, although I don't recall if this was in the first chapter or part of the introduction/words from the author.

Soulfire wrote:

It is my personal belief that you are living on this earth to test your loyalty to God, and ultimately make your way into Heaven.

What brought you to that conclusion?
RaMo
dahan wrote:
HI
we are il life to adore Allah and to follow the path of his prophets. in this times(today) we must follow the path of Mohammad(Salla Allah alayhi wa sallam). But who is Mohammad?. you can knew by visiting this link :
http://www.islamway.com/mohammad/
I belive in this deeply. if someone give me the money of the world i'll not change my belief. its my life and its my my death.
I ask Allah to gather us, Alla in paradise
HI


Ameen Brother!!

As a Muslim my/our purpose of life is to Worship and Adore God(Allah(swt)) to make our way to heaven up dere. This is life is a Test. The greatest test, The Test of Test's, The Ultimate Test for us Muslim's.
Gerhard Schwenke
How do you know heaven is the end? You only believe on a little bit of color on some sheets of papers!


You two declare yourselfs in follower of the Qu`ran? One question do you even follow the rules of morality in it??


One question had or did Mohammed anything respectable in the way of for example like Jesus's compassion and loving-kindness for others or was he just talking a lot? (Should not be provocativ only want to know!)
parokya
There must be a meaning in life because the substructure of all living things is a "code", or should I say, "word"? But that meaning cannot be found in the things enumerated above. The meaning of life is what gives you purpose to live. What is your reason for getting up in the morning, for example?

Having said that, if the structure of all living things down to the simplest organism is "word", then the philosophers in the past were right in thinking that one must attain the Logos -- The Word. But we know now that the Logos cannot be attained and NEED NOT be attained. For the Logos was and is among us. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... and He came unto His own ... we saw His glory, the glory of the Only-Begotten..." (see John 1:1-1Cool

Looking for the meaning of existence? Look to the Logos. Or to put it in the way of John Paul II, "contemplate the face of Christ."
udaykamboj
It's all a matter of faith! You cannot make an athiest believe in God and you can't make a firm believer loose faith. Once this is done, you move on to the next step and understand your duties as a firm believer that generally is the meaning or purpose of life.

This is not a simple question and hence it cannot have a simpler answer or as the poll jas been put up it cannot have a single word or a single sentence answer. It talks about sex as a life's purpose, well that too is Wink ! It's your duty to reproduce and the last time I checked you can't do it without sex! (Not talking about stupid test tube babies Laughing )

I think the most and the utmost important role of life is to really understand your life's duties and work towards it. Once you know your life's duties a bunch of other duties will emerge from them and you'll realise how much one has to do in a short life.

So what are you waiting for work damnit work!
The Conspirator
"Why are we here?" "What is our purpose in life?"
These questions have perplexed people since the first to ask them.
That answer is, only you can answer that as the answer will be different for each of us.
Juparis
udaykamboj wrote:
So what are you waiting for work damnit work!

But if the answer is so subjective, as we all seem to agree, what of those who believe life has no purpose, and that the answer is formated on such vacant bases as the question itself was formed: There is no answer, because the question never exists? Surely you can't just tell them to work towards nothing if that's all they believe, can you?

( Very Happy only kidding, just wanted to have some fun)
Malar
I don't think there's any sense to life. Our current universe was spawned after many other universes collapsed again (or there are parralel universes, not sure). The values for gravity, magnetism et cetera are all random and in our particular universe have led to, amongst many other things, creation of the Earth, organisms and eventually humans. It is however obvious that no state of life is permanent: everything and everyone desintergrates at one point or another (there is more 'death' than 'life', even unliving things 'die' or enter a state of non-existance).

What you do in life does not matter, as you are merely there by coincidence and whatever you accomplish will at one point be forgotten because there won't be anyone around to remember.
Juparis
I'd quote a few Bible passages, but I feel you wouldn't even consider their value.

Indeed, life is pointless--without the Lord. Life is not even worth living, some might say--if there was no God, that is. "Everything that has a beginning has an end." And that is where Christianity comes into play; what has no beginning can have no end, correct? Then God is true. Very Happy

Sorry for the preacher talk.
The Conspirator
Juparis wrote:
I'd quote a few Bible passages, but I feel you wouldn't even consider their value.

Indeed, life is pointless--without the Lord. Life is not even worth living, some might say--if there was no God, that is. "Everything that has a beginning has an end." And that is where Christianity comes into play; what has no beginning can have no end, correct? Then God is true. Very Happy

Sorry for the preacher talk.

Yet billions of people find plenty of hope and purpose with out the Jewish/Christan/Muslim God.
death_dealer
Quote:
Yet billions of people find plenty of hope and purpose with out the Jewish/Christan/Muslim God.


foolish purpose such as have fun get rich or my fave be born live eat shit and die yes thats a real porpuse
The Conspirator
death_dealer wrote:
Quote:
Yet billions of people find plenty of hope and purpose with out the Jewish/Christan/Muslim God.


foolish purpose such as have fun get rich or my fave be born live eat **** and die yes thats a real porpuse

No one finds any purpose in that.
Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus, Jainists, Shinto, Zoroastrianists, Sikhis, Wiccans and NeoPegons. We all have purpose with out Jewish/Christan/Muslim God and it is not fun, food and drink.
Related topics
[OFFICIAL] What are you currently reading?
First two chapters [< 3 pg] of Still Life With Woodpecker
Want to know if LOVE is real?
my world rocks
Give me a HOLLA if you are a fervent agnostic!
Why do you all hate God?
Homosexuality, is it biologically natural?
Did Jesus survive the crucifixion?
[official] The Meaning of life
Is life worth it?
Satre, Russel, Ayer Philosophy questions
Comics that have changed your life
Internship (politically correct?)
Extraterrestrial life.. how would we know..
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.