FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Corrective surgery

Tumbleweed
I had corrective laser eye surgery yesterday, twelve hours later I can see perfectly with one eye and almost perfectly in the other eye , allthough I am a little worried there both not perfect I have been told that it takes roughly three days for things to settle.

Has anyone else had any form corrective surgery ?
Blaster
No but it sounds really interesting. So are you happy with it so far? I know a friend's mom wants to get it done.
Mr Smith
I cut myself once, and put a plaster on it. Thats corrective surgery... right?
Scorpio
Mr Smith wrote:
I cut myself once, and put a plaster on it. Thats corrective surgery... right?

No, wrong, Corrective surgery only can be done to YOU when the doctors dig out your brain and replace it with a higher order mammal(relative to you)like an earthworm or something.

Stop this.

Anyway, I ve been hearing about this. But I cant do it until I am a little older.
I will probably wait for more positive revies.

Just tell me when you feel alright

How much did this thing cost?
Juparis
It's amazing to see how surgery itself has progressed--what would once take days to a week of recovery now only takes hours.

I had an ingrown toenail removed just a few days ago--it was nice to stop in and leave, feeling no pain, just half an hour after I arrived. I wasn't even expecting the doctor to do anything other than saying, "dig it out yerself." Very Happy

I can't wait to see what the future holds--even more complex surgeries and corrections with such quick recovery time. I might be inclined to "correct" the shape of my nose or something likewise. Wink
jaysen
I've been tempeted to do that laser eye surgery thing, i just have been a little paranoid about them screwing it up... besides, if i got perfect eyesight i would probably end up having to relearn my hand/eye skills all over again or deal with broken noses from missjudging walls and doors.....
h5n1clan
In a mall by my house(woodfield aka 2nd largest in america) there is a little store when you can get corrective eye surgery done. Im not sure if it can be done to the extent that yout got, but when your bored in a mall its actually pretty interesting. There is a little monitor right on the eye so you can see what the doctor sees and what hes doing, looks pretty painful, but the person never seems to be in pain, or really mind, then again im not sure if they are awake or asleep(probably they are knocked out before hand so they dont move, but when the eyes or open people do look awake). But yah it looks pretty interesting
Vrythramax
my mother had that corrective surgery done and so far she has nothing bad to say about and it's been about 6 months since she had it done.
benjad
Had LASIK done about three years ago, and haven't looked back since. I was stuck with glasses / contacts... now I don't even think about them...

And yes, it is going to take some time for you vision to settle in, your eyes have undergone trauma, and it is normal for them to be inflamed, and feel a little funny (but not really painful). I remember having it done in the morning, going home with really red eyes which were heavily coated in vaseline, taking a 5 hour nap, and waking up later that afternoon and feeling and seeing mostly fine.

You will see halos around light sources for about the first three months, but it does improve over time. One year later, my vision was 20/20 and the only problem I continue to have is occasional dry eye (but I'm not certain if that is alergy related, or lasik related).

You have made a good choice, enjoy your new freedom.
h5n1clan
Its amazing what medical science can do to people. Whoever invented this laser eye surgery stuff was a genius
alkady
I may try it, My vision is near average, But I only need glasses for reading. I am either getting Lasik or hoping to get those light Glasses. They look cool.
Jeslyn
I used to want to have lasik done, only because I love swimming and it's difficult to swim if you can't see.
But recently, I've just been doing it with my contacts in, so now I see no purpose in doing it.
Vrythramax
Jeslyn wrote:
I used to want to have lasik done, only because I love swimming and it's difficult to swim if you can't see.
But recently, I've just been doing it with my contacts in, so now I see no purpose in doing it.

don't contacts drive you nuts? I tried them last year and the feeling of having something against my eye really drove me batty. This eye surgery is really helping some people apparently.
Blaster
I know contacts would bug my eyes. And it does help a lot of people. Mainly people like atlthes.
Tumbleweed
lol@MrSmith

Well thirty odd hours later and my vision is settling down better now , my right eye is pretty much perfect and my left eye has improved vastly over night.

Quote:
Jeslyn wrote:

I wore contact lenses for 20 years and have lost a few swimming and more than a few doing other things....get some perscription goggles maybe
SkullPizza
nooo kiddin
Tumbleweed
SkullPizza wrote:
nooo kiddin

No nooo kiddin........... Confused
lyndonray
I have pretty much decided that lasik is the only way forward for me because my vision is bad and getting worse every second I keep living. how much does it cost? have you heard any horror stories like guys leaving there blind or suddenly with funny eye colours or something
mstreet
Science is a wonderful thing. I have a few friends that have had the surgery done now and they have never looked back. It does take a few days though for everything to start working right again but the results are fantastic
Jeslyn
Vrythramax wrote:
Jeslyn wrote:

don't contacts drive you nuts? I tried them last year and the feeling of having something against my eye really drove me batty. This eye surgery is really helping some people apparently.

Nope, it doesn't bother me. It may be the brand your using, or sometimes if my eyes are really dry, I can feel it.

I'm not sure if I could take the eye surgery route, there's always the risk something could go wrong and damage or lose your sight, and it's not one I'm willing to take. At least not until it becomes a little more stable. I have considered it though
the_mariska
How much does it actually cost? I've been wearing glasses for over 15 years (though I'm only 18 Razz), my sight is still getting worse (actually -3.5, -4.5) and I am really thinking about it. Well, I've already gone through a traditional surgery on my eyes, and I'm a bit scared Wink. My doctor has adviced this a few years ago, but I'm still not quite sure.. Should I go for it?
Jeslyn
my sight is -11, two years ago it was -8. Which sucks, because I want colored contacts, but they don't come that high, unless I pay seventy-five bucks for one set. It's also incredibly difficult to find any contacts. Which is another reason why I initially considered corrective surgery, but because my sight is so off, it seems like a bigger risk to me.
Tumbleweed
Well.........I went for a check up the otherday, my eye site isnt 20/20 Sad which it was before with specs/contacts so I am told I am most likley to have to have it "tweaked"....aparently I have thick cornias and have probably healed a little to quickly for my vision to correct itself...Allthough there is still a 50/50% chance my eyesite will improve on its own Confused Rolling Eyes
rhathar
May I ask, what eye conditions did you have?

I've very strongly considered getting it done, although I have to wait another 7 years (I'm 18, your eyes don't stop adjusting until you're 25 or so). I've had one bad eye my entire life.

When I first went in for surgery at 20 months old, they sorta corrected it. They did a good job, and it kept my brain from deciding to give up on my left eye and kill it, but didn't fix it. For those of you wondering, it's both nearsighted and crosseyed.

Medically, I'm told I have no depth perception. Despite this, I can play a decent game of basketball, baseball, ping pong.. things involving depth perception.

I've also been wearing glasses on and off my entire life, although recently I didn't really need them anymore. I look out of one eye for near to far distanced things, and my other one for reading. It works out, ya know?

Anyways, this thread is great as for the stories it's bringing out. I'm very interested in laser eye surgery, but haven't heard much about it.
seanooi
my dad's thinking about taking me for laser eye surgery sometime this year. But i'm still afraid that it might get worse, so I'm still thinking weather to go through with it or not.
Just thiking of how they slice your retina open just really creeps me out.
Rhysige
You shouldnt get laser eye surgery unless you have stopped growing...

Now as for me I have worn glasses for my whole life.. usually got knocked since they where thicker than magnifying glasses :p you could start fires with those things! I got used to it...

Then I changed to contacts a few years ago and havnt looked back, after the initial few months where I got irritated I then changed brands and got long wear contacts which you can leave in for a month without taking them out Very Happy you dont notice a thing after they have been in for a few hours.

As for surgery.. I think I will leave it a year or two but I am seriously considering it, I wear +6 contacts on both eyes but my right eye is so damn lazy if I lost my left one I would be screwed. I will weigh up the cost of surgery and see... but ohh how I would love to not have to worry about them.. im 17 now but im not sure if im finished growing yet...
Tumbleweed
rhathar wrote:
May I ask, what eye conditions did you have?

Hi rhathar.............. I was only short sited -3.25 left eye -4.75 right eye.
Summer
my eyes dun hav problems..yay..but i nvr checked b4 haha
Davidgr1200
I remember seeing a TV programme about how they do eye operations in Russia. They work on the same principle as they make cars - several patients are loaded onto a sor of carousel. The first doctor does his bit and teh carousel rotates to the next position so that the next doctor can do his bit, whilst the first doctor continues with the next patient, and so on.
Vrythramax
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I remember seeing a TV programme about how they do eye operations in Russia. They work on the same principle as they make cars - several patients are loaded onto a sor of carousel. The first doctor does his bit and teh carousel rotates to the next position so that the next doctor can do his bit, whilst the first doctor continues with the next patient, and so on.

BAH!...Thier medical system sucks...but they ain't that bad.
jabapyth
no but my dad want to get lasic.
filet
I heard that lasik has few effects. Contacts is a nuisance if you dont take it off when you go to bed. It can lead to eye ulcer if Im not mistaken.

Last month my aunt and I talked about eye, glasses etc. Her glasses power is 300+ but the her recent visit to optometrist really suprised her. The glasses power has been reduced to 50+.
Rhysige
dude +6 is high dont even think you CAN get +50 let alone +300

As for contacts its mostly calcium buildup which is why you need to take them out, but you can get long wear contacts (like I have) that you dont notice and can leave in without removal for a month.
Tumbleweed
I went for another check up a few days ago, and my eyesight is great compared to what it used to be, but not perfect yet so I am definatley going to need a re-tweak , they like to leave six months between the initial treatment and any re-tweaks so I have a couple more months of waiting still Crying or Very sad ... thats the only real gripe I have I hate all the waiting
OutlawSpirit
sounds like it works... dunno, but i wouldnt let lasers all on my eyes... just doesnt seem right and i would be thinkin it could cause me problems later in life

anyway... my eyes r just fine 4 me... Cool
benjad
OutlawSpirit wrote:
sounds like it works... dunno, but i wouldnt let lasers all on my eyes... just doesnt seem right and i would be thinkin it could cause me problems later in life

We all know that as we age, our bodies deterioriate. When we get to 60 years old, we will be in the same boat as everyone else, who is slowly going blind. The difference is now, while we are young, we would like to be able to see what the hell we are doing.

Quote:

Lucky you. For some of us, our eyes are not fine for us. They cause us discomfort when we can't see things clearly.
Vrythramax
benjad wrote:
We all know that as we age, our bodies deterioriate. When we get to 60 years old, we will be in the same boat as everyone else, who is slowly going blind. The difference is now, while we are young, we would like to be able to see what the hell we are doing.

Quote:

Lucky you. For some of us, our eyes are not fine for us. They cause us discomfort when we can't see things clearly.

Nicely put, but you failed to mention some of us that as we get older we don't accept our failing eyesight (amongst other things), and continue as is. I myself have scheduled the surgery for my eyes (I hate wearing glasses, and contacts are just not an option)...and I have to say I am a bit apprehensive about it. I will for sure be happy if it works, it'll save me $600 a year for glasses Wink

Wish me luck.
coolclay
I also have horrible eyesight. I don't think I would take a chance with corrective surgery however. My biggest gripe is what are the long term effects? How can something be legalized for millions of people across the country when we have know idea, what this laser surgery will do to our eyes 40-70 years down the road. I mean this technology has only been around for the past oh 10 years at most. I don't know about everyone else but I will probably be living with the same eyes, a lot more then 10 years down the road. What then? What if 50 years after corrective surgery, our eyes, have so much scar tissue, that we start becoming blind from the surgery. Personally I'd rather have the worst vision in the world then be blind. The risks to me greatly out weigh the benefits. I can't afford it anyway.
lors
I have very bad eyesight, -5.50 and -6.50 with astigmatism on top of that, so I can't have regular lasik. I'ts more complicated and costly for those of us with astigmatism, plus my insurance won't pay anything towards it. So I am stuck with glasses and contacts.
imraanio
really? i wasn't aware corrective eye surgery is different for those with/without astigmatism. That shoudnt really be the case, after all, corrective surgery is simply burning off bits of the cornea, and that should be easily adjusted for those with astigmatism...
Juparis
imraanio wrote:
really? i wasn't aware corrective eye surgery is different for those with/without astigmatism. That shoudnt really be the case, after all, corrective surgery is simply burning off bits of the cornea, and that should be easily adjusted for those with astigmatism...

You would think that, right? My mom has the same problem, however, and cannot get lasik because of it. It would really help otherwise, however, because sometimes she needs contacts and glasses at the same time.

Even my glasses cost a good $200 (those are just the lenses). Yet I never thought my vision was that bad. Lasik is even more expensive, though, and I doubt I would be able to afford it even if I started saving now and waiting until I was 40. Laughing

Then again, technology may change, and it could become cheaper and safer. It seems to be the trend, anyway.
steveadams617
I'm not going to get it done until they guarantee the results. I don't want to spend alot of money and then still have to wear glasses for reading or something.

When I lived in Boston, people went up to Montreal to get it done. It was cheaper....
Tumbleweed
I went for another check up two days ago.....same old same old....right eye perfect left eye not quite perfect, but after years of wearing glasses/contacts I can get by with old lefty

I have one more check up in two months and then we are going to arrange my left eye re-tweak , unless it improves in the meantime, which I doubt it will
wsco
corrective laser eye surgery
i hope i had one
to get rid of these glasses
wsco
i need more info
Vrythramax
wsco wrote:
i need more info

Possibly you do, then you can read The Guidelines for Proper Posting.

Anyone reading this, Please don't *bump* a topic unless you have something to add.
Tumbleweed
Well I have been for yet another check up this week ,and the status quo has not changed, so I am going back next week to see the resident surgeon with the view to getting my re-tweak orgonised....yey!!!!

Edit 4/1/07

I had the re-tweak yesterday,after seeing the surgeon he decided he could improve both my eyes more( top man Very Happy ) so I had both tweaked my eyes were as sore as a sore thing in sore sauce yesterday afternoon but now I can see perfectly hooorah!!!!!