FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How far will animal rights go?

iridios
http://www.spainherald.com/3438.html

Some politicos in Spain want to give simians rights equal to humans. What will we see next, claims of specism?
ocalhoun
And I had always thought of Spain as such a reasonable country...
If this had come from, say, France I wouldn't be so shocked.
alkady
Well I think it's going a little too far, Animals dont have laws protecting humans do they? Maybe thats why they are called animals.
LeviticusMky
It's fine to not give equal treatment to animals, but we have to be willing to accept a similar place in the world if we are ever to encounter beings that are more advanced than we are.

I have a feelings that we humans would have a hard time getting treated the way that we treat animals.
{name here}
It's just an animal, Jesus Christ...
alkady
LeviticusMky wrote:
It's fine to not give equal treatment to animals, but we have to be willing to accept a similar place in the world if we are ever to encounter beings that are more advanced than we are.

I have a feelings that we humans would have a hard time getting treated the way that we treat animals.

Well Animals are worst than us. eg. the Prey when being hunted by the predator is usually eaten alive, Imagine feeling your stomach being eaten while you scream in pain. Some even will eat humans and most humans wouldnt eat them.
StefanK
animals have the right to shutup n do what there told
a.Bird
Brick wall "Rights" are something that humans have created. The idea is formalized by humans only because we've been introduced with the ability to think creatively and make decisions based off of our intellect. Animals don't need rights, they just live. Most of human morals are based off of passion and individuality and completely contradictory of the ways of nature, including wild animals. Animals don't cover their privates with fabric garments when making an appearance in public, they don't stand ground on public property to protest animals rights, they don't even go to Church. They are units of carbon based mutualism and they live off the land in order to procreate. Blah blah blah. It's so obvious and simple right? Rolling Eyes Why is this an issue.
willancs
I Agree. Also, some animal rights activists don't care about human rights - a while back in britain some people dug up a grave to protest agains a guinea pig farm for medical testing, and also firebombed the owners house.
the_mariska
a.Bird, couldn't have told it better myself Wink But there is also one thing that we should remember: although animals are only animals, we have no actual right to treat them cruel. I don't mean killing them for food or in defence, but simply hazing pets or wild animals for actually no reason.

And about the article.. I have never expected that it would go that far, indeed. They had better take care of starving children. Evil or Very Mad
Vrythramax
animals do indeed have certain rights afforded to them...they have the right to be cooked, eaten, and be very tasty. This stuff going on in Spain is just madness.

I agree with the original post....where do those "rights" stop? More to the point...should they be stopped, or should we just keep our laws the way they are?