FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Shuts off automatically w/o warning

Ghost Face
It's shuts off after about 4 minutes or less.

It's not the fan. I've already checked that.

Help!
(I'm at school btw)
paurna
well i had a similar problem for the past one month when my computer used to occasionally restart on its own.didn't realise what the problem was until my motherboard and ram got burnt last week,d

do u have two ram's on ur computer?that cud be one of the reasons.
Donutey
use memtest x86
use Motherboard Monitor 5 to see if a component is overheating

search either term on google to find the download

hope that helps.
paurna
yeah overheating cud be the primary reason.motherboard monitor is a good application.u can also check ur cpu temperature and fan speed under bios features
Rsam
Heat, Bad PSU, Bad RAM are your likely guilty parties.
Gaurish
nevillethenerd
In my experience overheating tends to result in more system hangs than shutdowns; sudden shutdowns tend to be power related, software or rarely component failure. Have you done the obvious and run full malware scans [Anti-Virus and spy-ware]? Is there anything else sharing that powerline? Anything that may kick in with a big suck of the wattage like a washing machine for instance?
alienjones
To me this sounds like Blaster Worm.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Try "Fixblast" and the problem will be gone. Also try to stay updated to latest Windows Service Pack in order to avoid getting trouble from old malware issues like this. Wink
faker_phil
I had that problem when my PSU started giving up. You should test your computer with a different PSU, that solved my problem.
brad31337
It's hard to diagnose a harware problem unless you know 100% the software is ok. My suggestion would be to format, fresh install of windows. If the problem persists you know its hardware. This process can be made easier if you happen to have a spare Harddrive lying around. Disconnect ur others and install windows onto it. Again, if the problem persists you know its hardware. It really is hard to tell otherwise.
AG007
Ghost Face wrote:
It's shuts off after about 4 minutes or less.

It's not the fan. I've already checked that.

Help!
(I'm at school btw)

I had the same problem, a while ago.
But the cause was the OS software.
If you think nothing is wrong with your hadware, try to reinstall the OS.
If it does not shutdown when you are running the installation, then you have found the problem. Is the OS.
If still shutsdown then is probably is the hadware
(as brad31337 said)(did not see urs brad Smile, until I wrote the above).

If you want to rescue some files you will have to do via DOS. If is a software problem.
I hope you know how to do that. Smile Smile
I know a little, but not much.
alienjones
It's very sad... recommending reinstallation of the complete OS due to a tiny problem - quite common solution for Windows Users. Reinstalling is the very very last option one should choose. If your systems are kept up to date, protected by security software and administrated proper you never need to type "format c:"!
Ghost Face
Well, I think it has something to do with the power.

I tried different power strips and different electrical outlets. (Didn't make a difference Sad )

So I started it up yesterday and it ran for about 4 minutes then it shutdown (again w/o warning), then after about 20 secs I tried it again and it only ran for 10 secs (give or take). So that's why I think it has something do with the power source since it takes the most power to start something up and it takes a while for it to 'recharge'? Does that sound about right?

And a while back we did get the power source replace because the person who had installed our fan put it in wrong and the fan exhaust was being blown directly onto the powersource .. retards..

So it's prolly a jacked old PS.
hack_man_
If this is a power problem, then it could be they installed the fan wrong again!

It might cause overheating if the cooling system is not powerful enough. Where is the power centre? In most PCs it is at the top of the chassis. What type of Cooling system do you use? A water system? Might it need refilling? Is the power center at the bottom?

I suspect the overheating has burned something outin your power centre. It looks like you might need a replacement... Confused
NjRocket
sounds like the battery isnt too strong. Are you plugged directly into the wall when your computer shuts down? If any of those arent the problem, maybe you got a virus of somesort. I dont know.
eki_sp
First, check if the power suplly fan is blowing enough air. Second, try to boot windows into safe mode(F8 key before windows loads). Third, if it continues to shut off even in safemode try to leave it at safe mode selection menu. if it still shuts off try unpluging everything inside computer besides motherboard, memory, cpu and video card if it isn't integrated. If it still shuts off , check if cpu heatsink is at right position and if is it cold or mild warm.Sometimes the dust is collected on the top of the heatsink and prevents airflow even the fan is turning. If that doesn't help replace power supply, and if it shuts of even after all this, you most likelly have a bad motherboard ...

If at some point of this gets too much for you get proffesional help ... can end up cheaper ... Smile

if you find that the error is at software check point, try to get some of live linux cd-s and try to boot the system out of cd or dvd. (look for : "Damn small linux" - around 40 mb, or Mepis, or Knoppix - 1 cd or dvd)
brad31337
alienjones wrote:
It's very sad... recommending reinstallation of the complete OS due to a tiny problem - quite common solution for Windows Users. Reinstalling is the very very last option one should choose. If your systems are kept up to date, protected by security software and administrated proper you never need to type "format c:"!

You've really contributed to the post here, it is the simplest and the most likely to succeed. I could probably list 100 reasons why the computer would shutdown w/o warning. Fan problems, memory problems etc etc. But by reinstalling windows you at least illiminate some possibilites making it much easier to diagnose. I would recommend people with windows format every 6-12 months depending on their use. Even with the latest anti-spyware and anti-virus your guaranteed to still get both. So why would someone who cared about the performace of their computer want to use a machine clogged with these unpleasantries?
AlexNet
My laptop, inspiron 5100 (XP) , has a similar problem, when I am using CPU intense applications, my computer will sometimes randomly blue screen then restart automatically.

The error message that shows in the blue screen is a fault at a memory address, and it is always a different address, which leads me to believe that running programs that "redline" the CPU time (98+%) cause something to create a glitch and then in turn that causes a memory fault. I know for a fact it is not the RAM stick, because I have replaced them with new sticks, and It still happens.

I have just classified it as another Windows blunder.

Alex
nbwbhst
If it was a bad PSU I would guess that it wouldn't turn on . I have never had a PSU go "bad", but I have over-loaded one and with that the PC turns on leaving some devices turned off, primarily the video card usually.

If it's a spyware problem like mentioned above this will help...

Start>Run, type msconfig . Then go to services tab and check the "Hide all microsoft services" box, then click disable all, then uncheck the box you checked b4. While still in msconfig go to startup tab and look for anything you DONT want running immediately on startup. My idea on this is "If I want it on, i'll turn it on." So i disable all there as well. Now apply changes and restart PC. Go into safemode as mentioned above and run your favorite spyware prog and virus prog.

Now, quite possibly you could have a bad component on your mobo that after a certain amount of time its giving out or failing. This could have been casued by not using a surge protector/battery backup etc. Also something other than mobo could be fried...say the Processor... sounds like the PC turns on, the processor gets too hot and says screw this and turns off. You said u tried turning it back on and and it only stayed on for a few seconds, processor was still heated up maybe?

So many options, start with the easy stuff first - Software. If it gets to the point of hardware start with PSU...then Mobo...then processor. If it IS the mobo and you try the processor first the mobo migth fry the new processor(same with memory). Best bet if ya change the mobo is to just buy a combo package and get both.

Good luck.
brad31337
nbwbhst wrote:

Start>Run, type msconfig . Then go to services tab and check the "Hide all microsoft services" box, then click disable all, then uncheck the box you checked b4. While still in msconfig go to startup tab and look for anything you DONT want running immediately on startup. My idea on this is "If I want it on, i'll turn it on." So i disable all there as well. Now apply changes and restart PC. Go into safemode as mentioned above and run your favorite spyware prog and virus prog.

Disabling the processes etc THEN going into safe mode is useless. Safe mode will not run non-winows processes and applications on startup anyway.