FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Games Ruining The Minds Of America

Do games ruin minds or educate them?
Educate
78%
 78%  [ 18 ]
Destroy
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

UnikeViruz
OK, So we all have probably heard that Games ruin peoples minds. There was alot of controversy over it at one point and I dont think any of that went away, and I want to know what you think. Do you think games ruin minds or possibly educate them? Should first person shooter games really be taken off shelves because they promote violence?
Jeslyn
If any idiot is dumb enough to take video games seriously enough to go on a shooting spree, then perhaps it's not the games that are at fault - but the person's intelligence level.
UnikeViruz
Yeah, True but even though maybe you and me arent that stupid there are plenty people in this world who are...
Reaper
Hm I guess I would have to say educate seeing i believe that it does not destroy.
But let them try to remove games, look what happened with rock star games. They tried to get rid of the game off the shelfs and actually made people want to buy it more. please visit the fallowing url for more infomation. http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=ticket_to_hell
dz9c
I love video games, I have learned a wicked lot from them! Seriously. Some people are weak so they get destroyed by a non-existant world due to their being a dumbass.
apistos
In moderate amounts, videogames have been proven to improve hand eye coordination, which is necessary for jobs such as surgery.
yooksauce
test
Rsam
Games don't destroy, the sample size of people going berzerk because of playing games must be really small. I don't think it educates that much either. Maybe a few tiny things but you aren't gonna become smart from playing games all day.
UnikeViruz
Dont get me wrong with the poll. I love games to death but stupid politicians push for stupid ***T. Know what I mean?
a.Bird
Is this about video games? The thread title and poll refer to "games". Board games, card games, sports, in some cases video games, are great for eye-hand coordination, problem solving, stress relief, etc. Games are part of why we consider ourselves to be distinguishable from the rest of nature.
DecayClan
It depends on the game...Scientists say, that some kind of games(like strategy, adventure) sharpen people's minds, while others, like action(especially action, they said that even 1st person shoosters are helping a bit), make them in dead stupidier.(they also condamned GTA).
Don't confuse values and respect with intelligence.It is not the same at all
Idoru
I have to say that it is with games as with anything else, you learn if you like to learn.
What I mean is that you can sit for hours in a state of mind that isn't 'learning-friendly'
(if you know what I talk about... Wink ).

This has nothing to do with the game,
but with the person playing. If your sharp and alert you'll propablly link lots of
stuff togeather and learn from the most unbelivable stuff. So ofcourse games
are educational, if your in the game of learning Cool
clip
Yes it's true. It may be stupid for someone to get really serious when it comes to video games. But kids (13 below, most of the times) can get really into games. Taking them seriously and stuff. What matters is, the parents buy their kids those 'Mature' rated games and let their immature kids play it.

Violence becomes an everyday life for children. And people saying that this isn't true is just escaping the facts. People who are SO into games will just deny the facts that these things are really happening.

Solution: Don't play games, study instead! ^^ But people won't probably listen to me anyway, will they?
ainieas
Movies ruining the generation, violent games ruining the generation, music ruining the generation. Are the generations that fragile? I don't think that stoping the kids from playing games will stop crime or anything. I mean, there WAS crime BEFORE these games came on. I think the whole solution lies in education and that too in a way that what is said is actually retained in their dainty heads. There are sensible kids who play games for the fun of it and thats it. To become too involved with the games should be kept in check.
Rmgk
I guess they do have some adverse effects, as people try to hold up retailers for xbox's...a little too much GTA for them
Code of Ruin
I reckon it's somewhere in between, games can be used to teach faster reflexes and combat some fears, like fear for hights for example. Other games destroy the mind in the way that it teaches children that violence can be ok. (a smart child will know where to draw the line between right and wrong violence).
a.Bird
I think a major problem is that most of the videogames children are playing are purchased by their parents.... DING DING! My parents gave this to me? It must be alright. Oh boy, I get everything I want AND get to beat some crackas in the junk yard who have bazookas that I can use to highjack a moving van full of cocaine that I can sell on the street to get my dirty child-raping acid head of a brother out of jail. It would make a wonderful film to watch, but literally putting a young, VERY influential, mind in the shoes of such a protagonist does not necessarily make the said child think these things are acceptable, but desensitizes his seriousness of the world and the actuality of such matters that are being portrayed by pixels, on a cute little screen with plastic A and B buttons.

What ever happened to jacks? I don't see kids husseling in the playground with a rubber ball anymore.
S3nd K3ys
My son Chantz has been playing video games for almost 2 years. (He's 3-1/2 now). He started out with Unreal 2k4, and his uncle would stand around and let him shoot him. Laughing

Now he likes to race Formula 1 2k4. Does a great job, too. I've also got kids games on his Linux box. He's very good with computers already.

And aside from the occasional shooting at the neighbors while they're driving by, I don't see any adverse mental issues with him. Shocked

He also likes to use Mastercam, or any other app I might be using.
a.Bird
S3nd K3ys wrote:
My son Chantz has been playing video games for almost 2 years. (He's 3-1/2 now). He started out with Unreal 2k4, and his uncle would stand around and let him shoot him. Laughing

Now he likes to race Formula 1 2k4. Does a great job, too. I've also got kids games on his Linux box. He's very good with computers already.

And aside from the occasional shooting at the neighbors while they're driving by, I don't see any adverse mental issues with him. Shocked

He also likes to use Mastercam, or any other app I might be using.

And I have a feeling you are a smart, wonderful parent, send keys. Wink
otaku
I hate when people ramble on about games are destroying people's minds. If you're dumb enough to believe the game is real you shouldn't be playing it.
I can play games for 6-7 hours a night, yet I get A's and B's in school.
bogger
There have been studies done on this, so i'm just gonna quote from The Economist:

1st off Gaming has been said to give medicinal benefits:

MICHAEL KELLEHER was turning right in his car on a country road near Rylane, Ireland, five years ago when another car rammed him from behind, thrusting him forward and pushing his foot on to the accelerator pedal. Mr Kelleher's car shot across the road and crumpled into a wall. His wife, the only other person in the vehicle, suffered a chipped vertebra, which has since healed. Mr Kelleher's neck and back pain soon disappeared. What didn't go away was his fear of cars, especially those tailing him. “It was almost to the stage of panic,” he says. He took to pulling over when cars appeared in his rear-view mirror. Ridicule from his children didn't help.

But then last year, a trauma psychiatrist from St Stephen's Hospital in Cork put Mr Kelleher back behind the wheel—not in a real car, but in a video game called “London Racer”. He was coached through a dozen sessions of “graduated exposure” to virtual traffic. “It gave me confidence,” says Mr Kelleher, who now happily drives in motorway fast lanes.

etc. http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5244028

So computer gaming can be beneficial, but it's all about too much of a good thing
igor123d
Yes, games can have a negative influence ofindividuals by occupying too much timie that could be spent performing more constructive tasks, but people also need to rest and playing games develop certain skills that would not be developed by watching tv for instance.
prongs_386
video games are a good recreation, and in many ways alot better for the mind than any physical activity. I don't think there should really be an argument of games ruining minds, just games stopping physical activity and as a result lack of fitness and a larger issue of obesity. (get my pun?)
WoodenChairEnterprises
Well I'll say it again, it all comes down to the individual. Some people go stupid and say 'I could outrun the cops in GTA so why not real life' and some people know the difference from reality and games.

However I think games destroyed my social skills Shocked
Reaper
WoodenChairEnterprises wrote:
Well I'll say it again, it all comes down to the individual. Some people go stupid and say 'I could outrun the cops in GTA so why not real life' and some people know the difference from reality and games.

However I think games destroyed my social skills Shocked

are you sure it was the games? Smile
thiamshui
For almost everything, there are good and bad points.. Same goes for games as well.. Well, games will be bad if the person gets addicted to it, and causes the person to do badly in their studies, etc.. Games will be bad if they distract a person from doing work.. However, games are good when it comes to putting enjoyment into one's life, helping a bored person spend his/her time..

It depends on how you look at it.. There are good and bad points of almost everything.. We just have to learn to take out the good points in everything...
mae1strom
Hmm i really enjoy video games and in my opinion have gained more knowledge because of them. Many people think otherwise, especially towards games containing violence and such.
S3nd K3ys
mae1strom wrote:
Hmm i really enjoy video games and in my opinion have gained more knowledge because of them.

Agreed.

About 12 years ago, I couldn't even turn on a computer. Once I finally got it turned on, I figured out what Doom was, and now I know several different computer languages.
kung_fu_stu
There are many games out there that can be very educational ( mostly in the ways of problem solving), but there are also many other games out there that are completely pointless.

Video games should never be a problem with children. It probably appears to be a problem because there are a lot inadequate parents out there.

If your child spends too much time playing games or is questioning the reality of them then spend some F**K**G time with them. And if they don't what to spend time with you it is most likely because you didn't spend enough time with them when they were younger.

This is why we are killing ourselves: bad parenting!
Citizen Kane
Methinks videogames should be used moderately. Children also need to play with eachother and learn social behavior.
S3nd K3ys
kung_fu_stu wrote:

If your child spends too much time playing games or is questioning the reality of them then spend some F**K**G time with them. And if they don't what to spend time with you it is most likely because you didn't spend enough time with them when they were younger.

This is why we are killing ourselves: bad parenting!

:clapping:

My son is three and has been pointing out the differences between 'real' and 'pretend' in almost everything he inter-acts with. Including his imaginary friends and pets. "It's ok, daddy, he's not real, he won't bite you".
{name here}
UnikeViruz wrote:
OK, So we all have probably heard that Games ruin peoples minds. There was alot of controversy over it at one point and I dont think any of that went away, and I want to know what you think. Do you think games ruin minds or possibly educate them? Should first person shooter games really be taken off shelves because they promote violence?

Don't let any shit Jack Thompson says get into your head.

If a person/kid is rational and psychologically stable, they can get FPSes with blood and guts and all that stuff if they can understand that they shouldn't do that in real life and that it should only be kept inside the screen.

What we need to do is keep these games from people who are mentally unstable and will do these things. Ratings should not be based on the person's age, but the rational of the person playing it.
Jack_Hammer
I think america ruins the mind of americans...