FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

External stuff on Coppermine gallery?

missmurder
So if I get my account accepted, I want to have a Coppermine photo/video gallery. Only thing is, I have a ton of it, and it wont fit in the 250mb of space. I have another server i use to store big files that allows hotlinking, but not Coppermine. So, I was wondering, is there anyway to use the Coppermine gallery without all the stuff being uploaded into the server? Thanks
missmurder
Anyone know, can this be done?
Blaster
I don't know but maybe from your site you can just ahve a link and upload the coppermine up on that.
missmurder
Im not quite sure what you mean...
Blaster
is it like another hosting server or like an image server? I am confused now too. Confused
missmurder
Hehe, well its just a regular server, like when I bought my domain name it came with it. I tried installing Coppermine on it, and it worked, but I wasnt able to upload anything because the server didnt allow ImageMagik (or something like that, i dont really remember). So, I was wondering if I could host the files on that server, and then use the Coppermine gallery on this server, and just have all the pictures and stuff on the gallery being hotlined stuff. Hope that makes more sense.
photon
well i think it can be done. in coppermine gallery, you can specify the url of the photo instead of uploading the file. goto the upload page and there you can find 2 options. one is for uploading the file to the server. and the other is to specify an external file.. use that and specify the files on the other server

ive not tried it, but it should work..
missmurder
ok great thanks, ill try that out once i get accepted (if i do, hahaha) and let you know how it goes.
missmurder
Ok, well I tried doing that, but it still uploaded it onto the server...
photon
hmm then you can try using [img] tags and posting the pic.. but i doubt if it will work, cause there really is no field to specify tags in coppermine..
mathiaus
photon wrote:
well i think it can be done. in coppermine gallery, you can specify the url of the photo instead of uploading the file. goto the upload page and there you can find 2 options. one is for uploading the file to the server. and the other is to specify an external file.. use that and specify the files on the other server

ive not tried it, but it should work..

I thought that still uploaded it to the server just chose it from the internet rather than your HDD?

I can't seem to find anything like what your asking for sorry though I'm not sure it would work. The way the images are turned into thumbnails etc might not work with images somewhere else (just a guess) though I'm sure the basic idea could be implemented with a fair bit of changes