FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Illegal Un-AuthorizedWireless Internet





UnikeViruz
(Going on thing's I have heard. I am here to verify them)

I have heard that it is illegal to access somone's wireless internet without authorization. I also have heard that somone got caught doing it and got jail time for it. I'm not sure if this is true but somone who possibly knows fill me in as to wether this is true or not.
h5n1clan
You can access some elses wireless internet IF its not protected without their consent because its their fault for not setting up something to make it secure.
screamingdecay
In somestates its not and in somestates it is.

From what I understand is you cannot break into a wifi but finding out its Key to gain access. If they leave their WIFI without an WEP key its there fault, there asking for people to use their internet. Once to put up an non passworded wireless you become a small free ISP.
Jeslyn
If they don't protect it, they should expect to share it.
End of story.
ryanh2006
Umm I don't wanna sound like an angel or anyhting but using someone's network is just plain wrong regardless of the law! First of all because some people are malicious in nature (unlike most people who would only want a hotspot so that they can check their mail...) and because they can easily sniff the other guy's network I think that the gov. should intervene and make it a criminal offense to intrude onto somebody's network. This brings me 2 my second point. Most people don't have a clue how they can protect themselves because the produers of this technology haven't made it easy enough for the average Joe/Jane to enable encyption (Thats why I love apple so much. Their stuff is amazingly simple to setup and their wifi routers can be easily encrypted). That's why I dont think that its fair to blame people who are not encypting their networks because most people don't even know that they can!! Finally, somebody is paying for that bandwith and its wrong to nick it!!
Scorpio
It is not right trying to hack into a wireless system.

The fact is that hack is a comlex word here.

Even a no0bie at wireless stuff can hack another system if it is not encrypted,
If you get there by mistake due to interference of waves or some crap like that then you should voluntarily get out and overcome the curiosity to look into the system

This hacking stuff is quite easy in wi fi hotspots because it is quite unprotected, so we should have a safe wireless protection before accessing it

Or else when we look at someone's info an other wisecrack *** will probably be looking at ours
Loghete
Both my brother and my sister (that have moved from home) uses someone else's wireless network.. Moneysaving Smile
Vrythramax
I guess telecomminication theft in any fashion is illegal in the US, hence the SPAM Laws and the like. It would seem to me that taking something someelse paid for without thier consent and/or permission should be illegal.
CWFwrestling
I would assume that the laws apply here the same as they would in cable theft or tapping satelitte signals. But I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on FriHost Laughing
rightclickscott
Hell, the WiFi laws are so rigid and non-understandable in Middletown, that they just decided to set up a WiFi connection all across Main Street.

As far as I see it, though, if someone has a WiFi service, and you are in range of it, and it isn't locked, then you should be able to use it. It's not like you're abstructing their ability to use the internet. It's not stealing because, if it's in your range, you can use it. It is stealing, however, if you hack into a private, locked WiFi connection and then use it. Still, I use any WiFi connection that I can find, and if my connection was in someone elses range, than I'd let them use it. People should stop being so greedy and start sharing with everyone else. If everyone is kind about WiFi and is not hogging it to themselves, then I think that we can set up a WiFi connection all around the world! That is my dream...
ocalhoun
If the network you are accesing is apublic network, then yes it's legal. However it is illigal to access networks you don't have permission to no matter how little security they have.

Is tresspassing okay if there is no fence? No.
h5n1clan
Is it ok to walk through someones backyard to save time? Yes of course people do it to everyone. So using someones network must be fine.
WoodenChairEnterprises
h5n1clan wrote:
Is it ok to walk through someones backyard to save time? Yes of course people do it to everyone. So using someones network must be fine.


That doesnt make it right and if the person catches you and doesnt want you there they could probably put you up for trespassing.
Comrade
It's true. In past someone was stealing internet from my friend and he
had to change he's internet to another... I think he knew that person.
Lied
A wireless network is a free-to-connect network since there is no physical hardware that needs to be used.So anyone that wants to use it or to share it to limited amount of ppl should act accordingly.Its like me yelling for example where i have my cash hidden, and expect that noone will listen cause it was ment to be heard by only one.
cfackler
As others have said, if someone leaves his or her wireless open and unencrypted, they are asking for people to use it. However, if wireless is encrypted, other people should stay out. My high school is dumb enough to have the wireless connection open...I'm just waiting for someone to majorly screw the whole thing up.
hack_man_
I have wireless in my home and it is unbelievable how easy it is to hack into once you know the PassKey. It is not just stupid to leave your wireless unsecured because they can use your internet for free. But because they can easily see your documents!!! I have lots of private files in shared folders on my network sothat they can be accessed anywhere on the network and anyone connecting can see them!!!

My parents have laptops for work and when they connect to the network (using the key which only I know), I can see their shared documents! Important ones at that! Most shopping centres out here have WiFi now, think how much private data could get stolen!!!

Wireless networks should always be secured; the internet can be unsecure, but other user's documents should be secure too!
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
I guess telecomminication theft in any fashion is illegal in the US, hence the SPAM Laws and the like. It would seem to me that taking something someelse paid for without thier consent and/or permission should be illegal.


But you are from a Telecom Company.

If you say otherwise, wont they sack you??
Ray Gravin
well aside from ones personal ethical issues ... its not stealing if you dont get caught : ) Just kidding! but seriously if someone doesnt want you using there stuff they usually lock the door or atleast put there name on it. If my front door was broken into and someone was watching tv in my living room without asking me I would get a thicker door and a heaver lock. I might even goes as far as to carry the remote on my person when I was away from the house.
Code of Ruin
If it is illegal or not depends on the country which you live in. There are wireless networks which are unprotected because their goal is to offer wireless internet to everyone. There are also unprotected networks which are not meant to be entered and in some cases entering them can be illegal and can also get you some time in jail.
kam311
I think there was that recent court case where someone was punished for tapping into someone's else wireless network. But hey, if you can't secure it, then it's your fault if someone is using your bandwidth or accessing your network.
Vrythramax
scorpio wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I guess telecomminication theft in any fashion is illegal in the US, hence the SPAM Laws and the like. It would seem to me that taking something someelse paid for without thier consent and/or permission should be illegal.


But you are from a Telecom Company.

If you say otherwise, wont they sack you??



nah...I'm under contract not salary, and my contract clearly states I am able to use competitors services...so posting in this forum isn't against anything, besides I have never been one to "toe the party line". It was just my personal opinion that it should be illegal. As was said earlier who knows what kind of info could be compromised by such activities.

I don't use WiFi myself because of it's inherent drawbacks...but then again I also keep any personal data on a closed system that does not even have a modem. Maybe I am paranoid...but I also don't get hacked often Wink
SNES350
If it's not illegal, it should be. You are stealing bandwidth if you are using someone else's wireless network without permission (even if it doesn't have security on). If it is for light web surfing, OK that wouldn't bother me, but even streaming media (video or audio), taking a decent portion of my bandwidth I would have a problem with.

Thanks to this thread I actually went and enabled WPA2 security on my wireless router, after leaving it open for 20+ months. There are 5 wireless networks around here that I can connect to from my house broadcasting their SSIDs with no security on.
carl005
The reason why the government doesn't make/want it illegal is so that they can monitor a person more easily. If it wasn't for the government spying on its own citizens, I wouldn't care if Jamie Sue next door stole my interent really, because I would too. Just protect your files and make sure people can't use backdoors to get at your computer. Otherwise stick to coords to keep the government from getting easier access.
blackheart
WoodenChairEnterprises wrote:
h5n1clan wrote:
Is it ok to walk through someones backyard to save time? Yes of course people do it to everyone. So using someones network must be fine.


That doesnt make it right and if the person catches you and doesnt want you there they could probably put you up for trespassing.


I think he meant the statement to be tongue in cheek.
NjRocket
Put it this way, if they have a password on the router or network, and you find a way or figure out a way to bypass it or get around it, your in trouble. On the otherhand, if somebody can access someones internet without typing in any passwords or anything, i don't see anything wrong with it. Not sure on the ruling, but looks like most people believe that if no security is on it, you can access it. They wouldn't even know your on their internet basically unless they looked and saw you.
Lied
In Athens (Greece) we have The Wireless metropolitan network with about 3k clients.And nearly every city in greece has its own, and most of them are connected.Using encryption and proper ips we never had a problem of hacking or such.As a admin of every network you own YOU should be obliged to take care of the security of it as well.If somebody is just bored then it is his own problem.Like Internet, you have the option to firewall yourself or not.It might be a crime for someone to hack in your Pc but you had your options.
izcool
I live in a house that's conjoined with our good friends John and Allison. They're a nice, elderly couple who have 2 PC's on their wireless network (they have a Linksys router, one desktop computer, and one Laptop computer). I have a U.S. Robotics Wireless router with numerous PC's hardwired into it, with only one machine (my laptop) that goes through the wireless. It likes to jump from mine to their's, whenever the stronger signal comes in (like the faster connection). I didn't realize this until I was trying to copy music from my main machine to my laptop and seen my network PC's weren't in the list. So I set my router to be the default to connect to in Windows XP. When I sometimes go into my router's settings to change the DMZ host, I notice that John and Allison's 2 computers are in the DCHP list with their own IP addresses. It looks like their's use my connection when it's stronger, where my laptop uses their's when their's is stronger. I haven't really bothered to set the passwords and crap on my router so that it's "restricted", so I'm just leaving it for now.

One time I did a housecall for a PC repair and I brought my laptop with me. I had to reformat a machine and set up a bunch of things with their new wireless network. I was floored when I booted up my laptop to see what was available in the local area - around 8 freaking different neighbors had wireless routers, with only around 2 of them being locked down with security !! So I stole one of the neighbor's connections and surfed the net when the PC I was working on was being formatted. I set up their Internet and didn't get all sophisticated with the setup so that they wouldn't have problems getting on. Heh. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.
rfwrangler
It is actually illegal to access a private wireless network without authorization regardless of the encryption method used. If the owners of the wireless system have left their netowrk unsecure that is not an invitation to use their network. The possible entities that could come after someone caught of this include the FCC, The ISP, and the owners of the wireless equipment. There have been people heavily fined for this and some have been jailed.

Just because a network is unsecure does not give you or anyone else the right to use that network. This is a form a hacking. and the wireless equipment that is connected to a computer is considered a part of the computer system. If you found a wired network that you could tap into would you?
Insanity
Why would you think its legal to use someone else's wireless without their permission? Think of all the risks and dangers at hand.
jabapyth
can one detect unauthorized access?
rfwrangler
jabapyth wrote:
can one detect unauthorized access?


Yes if you look at the dhcp tables on the router and if they have not been changed from default there's a window that you can get the MAC address of users that have been assigned a dhcp. This will have to be done before the dhcp lease expires and the ip address is assigned to another machine.

There are other ways to find out if someone is illegally using a wireless network but they are more involved.
girlcalledjay
We have a wireless network here at home and for some reason the router lost the encryption (power failure maybe???). Anyway, our neighbours discovered this and took advantage.

They used our Internet connection to download more than 4 GIGIABYTES in one afternoon. It was just a fluke that I had logged in to check our usage in the morning and then again in the afternoon. We have a 12GB monthly limit so that was 1/3 of our monthly allowance STOLEN!!!

So no, it may not be against the law, but it's certainly a filthy scumbag act if you DO steal someones 'net via an unprotected wireless.

Remember that many people don't know about things like encryption and security. Instead of ripping them off, tell them. I have done this and been thanked profusely by one guy who had been at a loss to understand why he was being charged by his ISP for extra downloads EVERY month!
curnow
WoodenChairEnterprises wrote:
h5n1clan wrote:
Is it ok to walk through someones backyard to save time? Yes of course people do it to everyone. So using someones network must be fine.


That doesnt make it right and if the person catches you and doesnt want you there they could probably put you up for trespassing.


ha if someone walks through my yard itll be worse than a charge, i'll beat them to s**t
CyanEyed
ive got a wireless enabled pda and i used to use that to access a wi-fi netwok from across the road. i used it for quite a while. then i decided to get my own. unfortunatley i let my brother set it up for me. he decided that 108mbps wasnt fast enough and got rid of it. then the other network got secured as well and since my laptop isnt wireless enabled, i cant crack it either. but thats a good thing cuz it was only when i got my own network i realised how easy it was for the network owner to spy on the user!!!!
erlendhg
Recently, in Norway, it was actually allowed to break into any crypted wireless lan network, as long as you did not brake in to somones (personal) files Wink

But now it is not legal anymore...

There goes AirCrack Wink
seanooi
My wireless network used to be un-encrypted, that's why my cousin always complains that the connection is always slow and all, that's when i decided to go through the hassel of encrypting it. Laughing
Eyre
it's worth it because (believe or not) some people spend their whole day driving around to find a connection. And lots of people don't have it protected.
jdawgy
From what i know, it is illegal to use someone else's wireless internet. Although i know a few people who do it.

When i used to use wireless internet, we never set any form of encryption at all, and back then wireless at home wasnt very common. But now, when i open my wireless network, i see about 6-10 different networks on it, only about 40% of which have been password protected.

so i enquired about it and eventually set a basic password protection encryption. Nothing too dramatic because i dont want to heavily slow my speed down to a crawl. I think most people wouldnt know how to set a password. Since it is illegal to tap into someone else's network, teaching how to set a password should be included on purchase.
jveezy
I'm doing it right now.

But sometimes the network is locked and sometimes it's not so I assume that the person who owns it locks it when he wants to use it and unlocks it when he's not using it.

It's slower since I'm further away than he is but it's still okay as long as there's not four or five people trying to use it all at once.
goansfr
Quote:
You can access some elses wireless internet IF its not protected without their consent because its their fault for not setting up something to make it secure.


I don't thing so. It's like, u can steal a item in a shop because nobody is looking after u lol

you can't access wireless internet, without owner permission. same if the network is not secure
jongoldsz
girlcalledjay wrote:
We have a 12GB monthly limit so that was 1/3 of our monthly allowance STOLEN!!!


How do you only have 12GB of bandwidth per month? I have a rate of 15MB per second, which is equal to 38880000GB of bandwidth per month. That is 2592000 times more bandwidth than you get.
Rmgk
yes i expect there will be huge jail time for this, even using a program that bipasses your internet being capped after you reached your download limit gets you jailed for 10 years
Related topics
La galère puis Frihost ...
la gratuité de Frihost
[UNIK] Vos extensions pour Firefox.
Gamers
Quelle régie de pub choisir?
reseau Wifi entre 2PC portable
is it illegal to download tv shows?
Comment cede-t-on un site web ?
affichage source page web
[Var]saben como van los niveles del foro? soy wanabee ¬¬ see
[UNIK] Windows Vista, êtes vous prêts pour le grand saut??
Que pensez-vous de Joomla?
Microsoft‘un Büyük Zaferi
Internet Explorer 6'ın Sonu Göründü
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.