FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Nintendo "Wii"

What do you think of the name "Wii"
Love it!
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Like it.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Meh.
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
That like t3h sux0rz!
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Goodbye Nintendo.
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 39

linkman2004
Alright. Just wondering what everybody thinks of the name "Wii" for Nintendo's new console. I personally think that the name somewhat sucks. Razz I was hoping they would just keep it at Revolution but my dreams have been shattered. Crying or Very sad I imagine it will eventually grow on me but for now it's really kinda stinky.

PS. Please don't use any innapropriate jokes. Wink
Marco
Hmmm, oke, I really, REALLY dislike this name... I thought that "revolution" would be the name for this new console (I thought wrong... again), but Wii... really, what kind of name is that?
SunburnedCactus
Why must they insist on castrating their chances? The console is already based around a risky new concept, and giving it a frankly ridiculous name isn't going to help people take it more seriously.
ignition
That is by far the queerest name I've ever heard...I'd expect something like this on April Fools day. No chance in hell I'm going to tell anybody in person that I bought a "we" Christ what a retarded name. Their little paragraph of puns on that page is pretty queer also...why couldn't they just stick with the somewhat-normal-and-not-freaking-queer sounding Revolution. Yupyup nintendo went queer on us. Great.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/
xorcist
They should of have it Nintendo Revolution it sounds way better then Wii I cant believe they changed the name I though it was going to stay Revolution.
AdamantMonk
Regardless... I'm gonna buy one, and don't call me wiik for doing so, because that just wouldn't make much sense.

And I can't really see why someone wouldn't buy it because it has an odd name. Seems pretty shallow of someone... after all you could just scrape off the word "Wii" and write "TurdGoblin" in it's place and it would still be the same thing, only then friends would be asking to play your Turd Goblin.
goku_br
Even though that new name is totally stupid, I believe the system will do well in this new console war. I hope Nintendo gets back on their feet.
linkman2004
AdamantMonk: I totally agree with you. Razz Maybe just because "turd" is one of my favorite words. Razz Also because the Wii is gonna be frickin sweet!
Joe944
At least they show some creativity, unlike Sony and Microsoft. Playstation (2), Xbox (360)?

Give me a break.

People will honestly forget about the name after a month.
Whong
I don't really like it, but I guess Nintendo knows what's the best for us! Wink

I loved the name Revolution but well so it is that we can't do anything it!
Sad

Well what ever it is Revolution or Wii it will be a success! Wink Idea
Kelcey
I honestly don't care. I find it pretty funny though. Being called Wii shouldn't affect anything.
rightclickscott
Ok, since I'm sick of posting the same reply of my opinion, I'm going to copy/paste my reply from Inksandwich:

I found this good article supporting the name Wii, which can be found here. Personally, I honestly do not care what the name is. Hell, I could get used calling it "the Wii" all the time. All I really care about is if the console delivers in the gameplay department. Nintendo has not dissapointed me yet, and I doubt it will any time soon.
dz9c
Hey guys lets go play some Wii. What the heck is that? Confused Pathetic...First gamecube, which wasnt that bad, but Wii??? Not talking
jeffleo
Revolution sounds better. Wii? That's just plain weird. Playing Wii just sounds too weird to be true. LOLs.
Whong
jeffleo wrote:
Revolution sounds better. Wii? That's just plain weird. Playing Wii just sounds too weird to be true. LOLs.

Nintendo answered saying Wii means that it is for everyone! Wii is pronounced like we, so Wii will be a good name I think! Of course it's a bit odd but I've got used to it pretty much or ready!
Welcome Nintendo Wii, Goodbye Nintendo Revolution! Wink

Who cares about the names if the games are good! Wii is much better name than Playstation 3! I mean PS1, PS2 and now PS3! I'm getting sick about just the name Playstation! Nintendo has way more imagination than Sony or Microsoft! Idea

The Name aint a shame, why make it one! Wink
Cthulhuman
So we've all got to admit that the name isn't the most appealing but you have to admit that it makes since for it to be called the wii because i mean what does the xbox 360 mean it has nothing to do with a circle the 40% of you that voted Goodbye Nintendo need to think through these things because they are just trying to be unique and you guys are just pushing them down. I think that even if it does have a rather untraditional name that it doesn't matter because it's going to have a great launch and is going to be an extremely good system just like the ds they are actually thinking of ways to enhance your gaming experience with a more motovational approach so give them a chance.
Whong
Cthulhuman wrote:
So we've all got to admit that the name isn't the most appealing but you have to admit that it makes since for it to be called the wii because i mean what does the xbox 360 mean it has nothing to do with a circle the 40% of you that voted Goodbye Nintendo need to think through these things because they are just trying to be unique and you guys are just pushing them down. I think that even if it does have a rather untraditional name that it doesn't matter because it's going to have a great launch and is going to be an extremely good system just like the ds they are actually thinking of ways to enhance your gaming experience with a more motovational approach so give them a chance.

Exactly! Wink

At first I thought mhe, what is this, but now I'm starting to like it! Wii represents the imagination of Nintendo! Wii is a unique name just as google etc.

Does anyone know when will Wii arrive in Europe, I'm looking forward to buying it! It is just so cool, and the control will bring a lot of new thinks and ways of playing! Way to go Nintendo! Wink Laughing
Scorpio
But the name does play an important part too.

Wii sounds odd,

I do prefer revolution

There is nothing wrong with names as PS 2

Since it has caught on I dont think people are likely to forget in a hurry
Treason
I have to say that this name is horrible. I have a gamecube and nerver play it anymore. Have better things to do. Why would you buy something called a wii. It isn't catchy at all or somewhat intelligent. It just seems random to me.
jeffleo
Wii has just got their aim. They seeked attention. And now they got it. You guys are discussing this name! LOLS! So I guess Nintendo is pretty impressive. Give a weird name and the console just becomes hot. LOLS. I can only say "Let's hope the games are great and not as weird as Wii" lols.
Whong
Treason wrote:
I have to say that this name is horrible. I have a gamecube and nerver play it anymore. Have better things to do. Why would you buy something called a wii. It isn't catchy at all or somewhat intelligent. It just seems random to me.

Would you rather buy a console that has a really cool name, but is just so bad and has a lousy system and is just trash or would you buy one with name that you don't like, but it is really cool to play the games!

Think twice before mocking Nintendo, they know their job and can do it well! Idea Wink
Yantaal
Ultimatley,l i recont he console will be awesome, I love nintendo, i am more or less a nintendo gamer, i wil definatlye buy the Nintendo revolution, and not one iwl i ever refer to it as the Wii.

When i found out i though i was being lied to, they really failed now.
TonkPilz
Omg wtf roflmao Confused man who on the nintendo team came up whit this name. nintendo shuld hire a fireringsquad ASAP! and be done whit it...
Whong
TonkPilz wrote:
Omg wtf roflmao Confused man who on the nintendo team came up whit this name. nintendo shuld hire a fireringsquad ASAP! and be done whit it...

Man, your judging Nintendo for a name, come on man what do you think it helps to put Nintendo down! First they were going to make its name to N5 then to Revoulution and now to Wii! Idea

Do you think your helping them by putting them down like that! Get real the name might be bad but the games will be great! I'm not gonna buy PS3 or XBOX360 because they are so normal and I'm looking for something new!

Nintendo know what they are doing so just wait and see, they will be a success! Wink
Yantaal
actually the revolution was just Code Name
Whong
Yantaal wrote:
actually the revolution was just Code Name

So was N5 at the very, very, very begining! Laughing Wink Idea
zonymousbond007
Wii is just an awful name, I'll still be calling it the Revolution.

Anyway, I'm not getting one, because I want an Xbox 360, for a huge reason....

HALO 3

Very Happy
TonkPilz
Whong wrote:

Man, your judging Nintendo for a name, come on man what do you think it helps to put Nintendo down! First they were going to make its name to N5 then to Revoulution and now to Wii! Idea

Do you think your helping them by putting them down like that! Get real the name might be bad but the games will be great! I'm not gonna buy PS3 or XBOX360 because they are so normal and I'm looking for something new!

Nintendo know what they are doing so just wait and see, they will be a success! Wink

dont get me wrong im still getting a wii (lol) even if its a dumb ass name dosent really mean its any ting wrong whit the console but the guy that came up whit the name shuld still be shot

to say that wii is a play of words on WE lol my thoughts goes elles ware when i tink about is ... (yeah sue me:P )
elyo-luk
zonymousbond007 wrote:
Wii is just an awful name, I'll still be calling it the Revolution.

Anyway, I'm not getting one, because I want an Xbox 360, for a huge reason....

HALO 3

Very Happy

OF COURSE!!!! i have the xbox 360 and is the best console in the world!!!
i want the xbox 360 for HALF-LIFE 3

PD:wii... good bye nintendo.....
rightclickscott
I wish all of you people weren't so simple minded about gaming! When you look at everything that Nintendo is trying to do, it's really quite brilliant. You see, Nintendo knew that the Internet would explode like it did over the announcement, and whether it's a joke and their going to reveal the real name at E3 or it's for real, I will still wholeheartedly support Nintendo. Do you know why? Because the Wii/Rev is going to be an amazing console! One of my favorite quotes about the announcement was one made about how the internet was going to explode over this, and it is from the article that I posted earlier, which it seems like none of you read. It was "Nintendo's gently patting the Internet on the head and telling them that it will be alright, but all the while they're pushing hard in the opposite direction." I understand why people on the internet have done such a thing, but still, if you go around saying that Nintendo is going to go bankrupt by this or that Nintendo just sucks period, then really, you cannot be considered a real gamer. I want people to actually think about this new name, and stress how it will work in Real-life, and then, once you can give an honest opinion about the name, then you can be considered one. If not, then you are simply what today's culture has branded a gamer, which is just an idiot who plays Halo and other FPS's and thinks that he is on the same level with people who've spent endless hours on a RPG. Hell, even WoW has become a fad. Still, this is all my opinion, and I respect everyone elses, even if Nintendo is never going to listen to you and that it's pointless to protest anyways. I hope people who aren't culturally branded as gamers in the Halo market can understand what I'm saying. Thanks to anyone who spent the time to read this post and not just skip over it to say that Wii is the shittiest name evar. </rant>
driftingfe3s
I don't think the name is all that bad. It is very unique and stands out compared to the other systems. Comming up with a new name is much better than taking an old name and slaping a new number onto the end of it.
Whong
driftingfe3s wrote:
I don't think the name is all that bad. It is very unique and stands out compared to the other systems. Comming up with a new name is much better than taking an old name and slaping a new number onto the end of it.

I fully agree with you! Nintendo has creative minds so they come out with a new name for each of their consoles! I like all the names that Nintendo has given to its consoles! Exclamation

Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Game Cube, DS and now Wii! Wink
jeffleo
Hmm, rightclickscott, excellent point there. But judging from xBox 360, I think Halo 2 was a rather big disappointment? I think Halo was way better. And Half-Life exists on computer, I'd rather not buy an xBox 360 for it, it occupies space ya know?

As for the PS3, I think the games are gonna have some serious graphical effects and the games are gonna be a bomb. It's gonna take over the console world for a while at least. And some good games are bound to come out that makes full use of a Blu-Ray disc and the PS3's capabilities. Trust me on that.

Nintendo Revolution ( Wii ) is a console that came out too late. Though the controllers are unique, but seriously, I'd rather play real life ping pong than play with a computer. Lols. Some titles from Nintendo are nice ( Zelda ) but I must say, Wii has serious limitations on their games.

Wii is a weird name, but I'd rather judge it on how good it can perform and what games there is to play. xBox360 is erm... How shall I put it... A rushed console that wasn't really much of an improvement from xBox? Not sure of that. But PS3 ( there was another name for it, but I'd rather name it PS3 lols ) has serious improvements. ^^ My few cents worth. Don't flame me. LOLS.
Dark_Sun
lool yeah wii is sure a weird name, but they must had a reason to do this, im a fan of nintendo, and they MUST explain it... and fast lool. but its quite easy to remember Smile
lukeropro
I don't like it...sounds like wee...wee wee means urinate which is not that nice..
KSheriff
The name is kinda stupid, but the system will probably do pretty well. I'm hoping anyways. I'm glad Nintendo takes risks to at least attempt to bring more to the gaming experience that its competition.
Hanpusu-kun
Wii meens "******" in Latvia.
Fun ehh?

Anyway, who the ****** gives a shit about the name of the console when youre playing it?
PLZ, come to youre senses and play the console before hacking on its damn name!
urbanbuddha
"Wii" is the type of name I would give to a fish.
Anyways it matches Nintendo's obscure/creative (depending on how you look at it) way to gaming for the new generation.

I prefer the revolution as it did simply describe what it did with the way we'll interact with gaming.

Overall, a system is only as good as its software hands down.

The problem is, are software developers really motivated to create such high calibur games with the controller the players interact with.

In theory, a majority of mainstream gamers have a methaphorical concept of how to use and play a game. It's going to be a bit difficult or even be easier, for both the gamer and developer to make a game where someone can pick up the controller and with "some" assistance know how to play the game.

And, just for kicks, Nintendo has a bad habit of disappointing our poor Nintendo fanboys with their bad decisions and procrastination...
ie. Legend of Zelda, remember when the GC was announced at E3? Everyone was waiting for the next Zelda game to be like that, and what did we get?.... Wind-walker, while it was a decent game, it was by no means what most gamers expected. To segway into the next point;Don't forget about Twilight Princess, great way to please the Link fans by giving the game that they wanted when the system is about to die >_>

To summerize:
- Wait and see how games are like on the Rev/Wii
- Nintendo has a bad habit of destroying expectations
- Games will make or break a system
garionw
Theres nothing wrong with Wii

I think its a great name and I that Nintendo for their great ideas. Nintendo have been in the Game buiness for the longest so they would know best wouldnt they? the "ii" n it stands for the new controller (can you still call it that) and two people standing next to each other.

Its not getting the popularity it deserves. Look at the GameCube: no-one bought that.... Why? The Games.... People wanted a Playstation for the Games and graphics. Who wants a Game that takes hours to play and no-fun what-so-ever. Look how hard those games are compaired to Pikmin... What a great game that was. You could finish it in a day... but yet come back tomorrow and its completly different.

Come on people do your self a favour and buy a Nintendo Wii. You wont regret it.
Sukozu
Well the name sounds ver VERY cheezy hehe but as someone above said its creative and its gonna grow on us hehe. the console itself seems like a fun one, and so does the games, personally i would like the fishing one hehe
Maku
I like Wii, and yes i find it catchy
i think thats they try to make it sound cool, but because there japans the make (unwanted) it so thats its sound for japans cool.

Smile i have a much japan sense wean it comes to cool things
Whong
As in an other topic about Wii, we came to a conclussion that Wii is a great marketting way! It is such a weird name, that people talk about and chat about it and by that Nintendo is saving hundreds of thousands maeby even millions of dollars! We are advertising Wii! Wink

I think that thats a great way of marketting and advertising, Nintendo's mastermind has been at work! Wink
euxapi
I personally like Revolution a lot, and thought they would release it with that Sad . I guess that the name "Wii" won't really have any effect on their sales though, and I'll probably buy one (as a second console) because of the awesome new strides Nintendo is taking in gameplay. Playing Zelda with the new controller will be awesome! Also, I like how you can download and play all Nintendo console games N64 and below and also some of the Sega console games.