FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

Lennon
Probably my best novel yet...

The story describes how Robert Langdon is called into CERN in Switzerland to deal with a murder claimed by the Illuminati. En arrival, he finds the victim's only valuable asset, a cannister containing antimatter, has been stolen from his extremely secure vault.

The story unwinds with cardinals and illuminati in conflict while Robert Langdon unravels the mysteries of Roman Art History.

I have never read a book with so much accurate details on so many levels (spirituality, personality, art history and science and technology). Dan Brown has a depth unmatched.

Not even the Da vinci Code compares to the depth and accuracy of Angels and Demons.

When I was reading the book I was predicting what was going to happen. But that was exactly what Dan Brown was predicting to his readers. He expertly convinces his readers of his facts, and just as easily twists the story like at the end when we felt we knew the murderer we were convinced, and just as easily twists the story around.

I was following the four scientific elements through the book with each cardinal, experiencing the journey with Robert Langdon.

There were some inaccuracies, like the effect the antimatter had upon annihalation, would release enough radiation to kill thousands in radius in the end.

The idea that energy forms matter is absolute fact. but the universe from nothing is not quite accurate. Energy changes from one form to another, from radiation to matter. In the particle accelerator Mr Leonardo Vectra only converted energy from one form to another.

Dan Brown is truly an expert, a deep lateral thinker, with experience in so many fields.
kv
Very good book to read. Couldn't stop reading once I started. But can't compare to da-vinci code. It is more detailed than this. Also, most of "Angels and Demons" situations are imagined (CERN does not exist) where as in "Da vinci code", they are real (like rose line, louvre museum) etc.
ainieas
I'll admit. I loved this book more than The Da Vinci Code. I mean this one is spectacular (for want of a better word). To anyone who hasn't read it yet I'd definitely advice to do so.

kv wrote:
It is more detailed than this. Also, most of "Angels and Demons" situations are imagined (CERN does not exist)

Actually CERN does exist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN and while you're at it, give a look at the CERN logo.

Another enlightening link: http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html
IceCameron
I'll have to be the booring dude.
I hated it. Its rubbish!
ainieas
IceCameron wrote:
I'll have to be the booring dude.
I hated it. Its rubbish!

I'd really like to hear your views as you why you detest this book as much as your post seems to point you do!
Sickness
I've read it and I recommend it!

It's very interesting...
brad31337
Lennon wrote:
Probably my best novel yet...

OMG EVERYONE DAN BROWN USES FRIHOST Laughing

I did quite enjoy the novel... few twists etc, murder. What more do you need?
Shike
I agree with most here. I enjoyed the book, and own a copy. As an academic myself, I found the trip through Rome briliant and wanted to visit the sights myself. Like I posted on the Da Vinci Code, You have to take Dan Brown's facts with a grain of salt, not everything he presents is truth, he does a good job, in my opinion, of presenting the fiction necessary for his story intermixed with truth to make it all seem real and exciting. But to get the full truth behind everything in all books is to do some research your self.

But yes, Cern is a real place, and so are the places in Rome. The Illuminati did really exist, but, if i remember correctly, not as Dan Brown portrays them.
papamurphy
This book was a very good read, but I have given up defending Dan Brown as a great novelist, mostly because the crazed people out there think he is writing non-fiction. It is kind of tiresome to defend someone against the crazed religious people that can't stand to have there precious book debunked. Hopefully I don't offend anyone, I just think that people need to be more open minded is all.
Vrythramax
I have not read the book "Angels and Demons", but it comes highly recomended to me by persons who's judgement I trust. Having just read another of Brown's novels (gee...can anyone guess which one?), it has spiked my interest in his writing.

Let's see if he can keep the hype alive and selling Wink
ddukki
This was an excellent book. I would agree that Dan Brown is a genius ... if he didn't steal so much from his own work. Compare this to the Da Vinci code and you have the same suspense, the same plot, and same character. I understand that Da Vinci Code is a sequel, but come on. I need something new and exciting. The only reason it's so popular is because it was publicized.

Angels and Demons was a work of literary art. I loved reading it. Shouldn't have been overshadowed by its sequel though.
Vrythramax
now I did not know that Angels and Demons came first, should have guessed it...maybe if I had thought for a moment Confused

Thank you ddukki
frozenhead
I first read Da Vinci Code though. Most of my pals told me it came first before Da Vinci. Anyway, I'm in my halfway reading it and so far I find it better than Da Vinci. Wink
ddukki
Vrythramax wrote:
now I did not know that Angels and Demons came first, should have guessed it...maybe if I had thought for a moment Confused

Thank you ddukki
No problem. I just thought reading books in a series in order would be helpful. If Dan Brown makes this a trilogy, I hope the third won't be affected at all by the media the second is getting.
Vrythramax
@ddukki

If he does indeed write another book, which I think he would be a fool not to, it would most certainly be effected by the resounding success of this novel (The DaVinci Code). So many people have read it, and now there is the movie, that many people are going to be buying his previous works and any future work he comes out with for some time to come. While it seems he has hit on a mode (subject if you will) that sells, I would like to see his diversity...change the subject matter, charactors, that kind of thing. Let's see if he keeps with the same or if he tries something new.
rhathar
Well, these books aren't really a series, per se. While both center around Mr. Langdon, they don't tie into eachother except chronologically.

It's better to say that The Da Vinci Code takes place in the same 'world' as Angels and Demons, a few years down the line.
Vrythramax
rhathar wrote:
Well, these books aren't really a series, per se. While both center around Mr. Langdon, they don't tie into eachother except chronologically.

It's better to say that The Da Vinci Code takes place in the same 'world' as Angels and Demons, a few years down the line.

ahhh...so each can be read as a "stand alone" novel without missing anything?

I have not yet read Angels and Demons, but have read his latest.
rhathar
Yes, they're stand-alone. I think the only reference in The Da Vinci Code to his earlier book is a statement Langdon makes about a trip to the Vatican.

Someone else, correct me if I'm wrong, please. I'm going off of conversations I've had with others. I've only read Angels and Demons so far :/
todabeat
I actually just read this about a month ago. I did read Da Vinci Code, to me they where both equally exciting. I did love how it had you thinkin to the end. I couldn't put the book down, like the DVC i feel asleep reading a couple of times.. hehe

Good stuff