FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

trying to put up forums... help?

cocobirdi
i'm trying to set up my phpBB forums and i'm completely and utterly new at this. i found a tutorial that got me further than i could have gotten otherwise, but now i've gotten to a point where i'm fairly stumped... between steps 11 and 12:

Quote:
11. CHMOD/Set the permissions of) config.php to 777 and images/avatars/ to 777 using your FTP Client.
12. Go to http://domain/forums/install/install.php

i finally THINK i figured out what 11 meant, in DirectAdmin files>forums>, but config and images/avatars ? i uploaded the phpBB zipped file and it shows up as a single document, so i went ahead and set the permission of that to 777, since that seemed about right... but then the link on the next step doesn't work, and i went to the phpBB website and looked at their Quick Install...

Quote:
Decompress the phpBB 2 archive to a local directory on your system.
Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.
Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB 2 with the addition of install/install.php, e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB2/install/install.php, http://www.mydomain.com/forum/install/install.php etc.
Fill out all the requested information and hit Submit
Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)
Click the Complete Installation button or revisit the location you entered above.
phpBB 2 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 8 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.

... but it wasn't much help either... i guess i'm supposed to take those links and enter in my own domain name, and then a long string of something or another, but i'm STUMPED!

sorry to seem like such an idiot, bc i'm probably missing something quite obvious. but i would really appreciate the help

also, i did post this on another board that i think was the wrong one, so i went ahead and put it here.
mOrpheuS
DirectAdmin cannot extract zip archives on the server.
You should either upload the extracted phpBB folder to your webspace, or upload phpBB in .tar.gz archive format and extract it from DirectAdmin.

Once you have the extracted phpBB files on your webspace, you'll have those elusive "config.php" and "images/avatars/" which are supposed to be chmodded Wink
And the "install.php" to let you continue with the rest of the installation process.

The easisest would be to extract the phpbb files locally and upload them using your ftp client.
cocobirdi
mmm... webspace? .tar.gz archive format?

did i mention that i'm clueless? lol
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
mmm... webspace? .tar.gz archive format?

did i mention that i'm clueless? lol

webspace = your "public_html" folder and its subfolders.
You'd normally want to upload phpBB files to a folder like "public_html/forum" ...
This will appear to the outside world as "yourdomain.com/forum"

This is the phpBB tar.gz archive - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/phpbb/phpBB-2.0.20.tar.gz

You can either upload the tar.gz archive to your "public_html" folder and extract it from the DirectAdmin filemanager.
OR
You can just extract the phpBB files on your PC and upload them via FTP to your "webspace" Wink
cocobirdi
alright, i got the .tar.gz archive loaded to public_html>forums> still in a zipdrive format... now how do i extract it from filemanager, and what exactly does that mean?
Bondings
cocobirdi wrote:
alright, i got the .tar.gz archive loaded to public_html>forums> still in a zipdrive format... now how do i extract it from filemanager, and what exactly does that mean?

There should be an extract option next to it in the file manager.
cocobirdi
where? will it say "extract"? i even did a word search on the page and couldn't find it. maybe i didn't load it right? i don't know how else i would load it though...

geez, i'm sorry to be asking so many questions! Embarassed
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
where? will it say "extract"? i even did a word search on the page and couldn't find it. maybe i didn't load it right? i don't know how else i would load it though...

The option to "extract" appears right next to any tar.gz file in the DirectAdmin filemanager Wink
cocobirdi
RIGHT... sheesh, i'd loaded the .zip file again Laughing

fixing...

fixed Very Happy

umm.. lol new problem! sorry Embarassed

mine says phpBB-2.0.20.tar.tar. and no extract option. crudmonkey, what did i do this time? *stares at computer screen*
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
mine says phpBB-2.0.20.tar.tar.

tar.tar. ???

Is that a typo ?
Or could that be the reason why you're not getting the "extract" option ? Confused

It should ideally be "phpBB-2.0.20.tar.gz" Wink
cocobirdi
correct, it is tar.tar. should i download it again?
cocobirdi
yesssss... reloaded it and it did it right this time. i have no earthly idea what the heck happened.
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
correct, it is tar.tar. should i download it again?

If the file size seems correct ie., 531 KB (542,865 bytes), you may want to try renaming the file first. It might just be the correct file with the wrong name !

Rename it to something.tar.gz and see if you are able to extract the file contents.

Otherwise just go ahead and download it again, it's not too big Wink

edit - I posted a couple of minutes too late Laughing
cocobirdi
got the permissions changed... now what is this install site i'm supposed to be going to?
cocobirdi
and again, nevermind Very Happy i figured it out Very Happy
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
got the permissions changed... now what is this install site i'm supposed to be going to?

It depends upon the your current folder structure.
If you just extracted the phpBB archive inside your "forums" folder - it would be yourdomain.com/forums/phpBB2/install/install.php

Before you do that, you may want to move all the phpBB files outside your "phpBB2" folder and into the "forums" folder. (you can use DirectAdmin filemanager to move files).
In which case the installation url will become yourdomain.com/forums/install/install.php

edit - late again Confused
cocobirdi
*grumble*

i got all excited when i got to a site that looked like the screenshot on the tutorial... finished it all up, hit start install...

Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

is this common? will it go away? Shocked
mOrpheuS
cocobirdi wrote:
Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

is this common? will it go away? Shocked

A common "critical error" that'll go away by itself ?
Clearly not Razz

Did you create a MySQL database in your DirectAdmin and supply the correct details in the installation page ?

Did you miss a certain step from n0obie's tutorial ? (Points 9a to 9e)
cocobirdi
i thought i'd done that, maybe i hadn't...

or maybe i just guessed as to what he meant my MySQL Database and put it elsewhere lol... k, so on the main page of directadmin, i go where?

gotta get all this straight lol
cocobirdi
helloooo? i'm still stuck! Wink
cocobirdi
argh.... i'm trying to use the directadmin's help window so that i can do a database, and it says:

Quote:
From the main control panel menu click the "MySQL Databases" icon and then click the "Create new Database" link.

icon? i don't see an icon. i've got Home/Webmail /Password/Help/Files/ Logout icons across the top, and....

Quote:
Domain Setup
Change Password
Login History
Support Center
Installed Perl Modules
Create/Restore Backups
Site Summary / Statistics / Logs
FTP Management
Subdomain Management
Frontpage Extensions
MySQL Management
Password Protected Directories
File Manager

... nothing about databases.
Bondings
It's the "mysql management" one.
cocobirdi
OMG lol!

geez, these tutorials and faqs and helps are confusing!

ok, i've got a database, and i'm back at the install page, and i'm still getting the error.

database name would be... cocobird_phpbb (the complete name in the database)?

database username... cocobirdi or cocobird or something else?

email... just make something up? or my seperate, active email?

administrator username... cocobirdi or cocobird or something else?
Bondings
cocobirdi wrote:
OMG lol!

geez, these tutorials and faqs and helps are confusing!

ok, i've got a database, and i'm back at the install page, and i'm still getting the error.

database name would be... cocobird_phpbb (the complete name in the database)?

database username... cocobirdi or cocobird or something else?

email... just make something up? or my seperate, active email?

administrator username... cocobirdi or cocobird or something else?

The database name is ok, the host shoud be 'localhost', the username most likely the same as the database name, unless you made it different. The email will be the board email.

The administrator username is your choice. It's to create the main user (admin) for the board.
cocobirdi
where can i make sure that the username is the same?

email... so i could make it "cocobirdi@SHR.net"?
cocobirdi
nevermind Very Happy it's installed.
cocobirdi
new question Very Happy

now that it's installed, how do i start setting it up?
cocobirdi
nevermind again, it's up, and i've even got a new member Very Happy

but the new problem is!: (haha, you thought you were through with me! Wink )

Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /forum/index/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

while attempting to even log in or even "go to administration panel" i keep getting this notice. it's AGGRAVATING!!!
Bondings
cocobirdi wrote:
/forum/index/index.php

It seems like there is an "index" folder in the settings while there shouldn't be one.

Maybe try to go to phpMyAdmin, to the phpbb_config table and take a look if the folder/directory isn't set to /forum/index/ instead of /forum/ . If yes, then change it.
cocobirdi
hmm... i'm in phpbb_config, which thing is the table? and what do you mean by folder/directory being set to forum/index/ ?
Bondings
cocobirdi wrote:
hmm... i'm in phpbb_config, which thing is the table? and what do you mean by folder/directory being set to forum/index/ ?

I didn't know the actual name. It was the "script_path" and it was set to /forum/index . I changed it to /forum/ now and it should be working fine now. If there is a double slash (//), then you'll need to remove the one behind "forum", but I think it normally needs to be there.
cocobirdi
so you tried to do it for me? it's still not cooperating:

Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /forum/login.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

while trying to go to the admin panel.
cocobirdi
it's still giving me the same notice over and over... i can't even log in to fix the problem. is there some way you could go in and fix it?

i think i know where i screwed up... i think that in general configuration on the phpbb admin i changed the script path Embarassed
Bondings
Yes, it's the script path. I thought you installed your forums in /forum/, but apparantly it was in /forums/phpBB2/ . I changed the script path to that one now, and it should be working. If you ever change the location of the files of your forum, then you will also need to change the script path settings to the new location.
cocobirdi
yay! it works!

i love you Very Happy

i think yall are actually done with me for now Wink

thank you!!!!