FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Partiton help?

NuniPio
i booted with winxp to install... i currently had 4 partitions and deleted the Windows partition with the boot cd when installing.. i wanted to make the file system FAT32 but there was no option.. so i booted from windows 98 but it only detected 59.something GB so i booted from winxp cd again and all my partitions were gone... is this reversable???
Fred1967
Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS, so that would be a problem.

Did you start with the Windows CD or a START disk for windows 98?
rvec
dos has the command "unformat" I never tryed it but it should work
NuniPio
well since theres no oerating system and no formatting was done.. would i be able to view partitions on this comp if i put that hardive in? coz no partitions are shown when installing windows
Fred1967
Try it with fdisk.

Start up with a bootdisk for Windows 98. If you don't have one you can download it from www.bootdisk.com.

If you are in dos type in the command fdisk.

Then you should see your partitions.

The first probably is hidden.

If you only see 3 partitions there is probably the free space of the 1st disk you removed.

You then can make a new partition in FAT32.

But if I format the partition I just put in the CD of Windows and it will install itself on the 1st NTFS partition I have.
tungtony
Please note that if you only have one hard disk. That means you only have 1 boot partition and 1 non bootable partition. The non bootable partition have 3 logical drive.

You can use boot CD than go to dos prompt and use FDISK.EXE to see if those partitions are remain unchange. If not, than you must find some partition tools to recover the lost partition first. You can use www.google.com to search some free partition recovery tools.

After recover it, I think you know how to do the rest.

Hope this can help you.
NuniPio
i plugged the hardrive into another pc and found one big partition which has no file system.. can i undo the partitions?
Bones
NuniPio wrote:
i booted with winxp to install... i currently had 4 partitions and deleted the Windows partition with the boot cd when installing.. i wanted to make the file system FAT32 but there was no option.. so i booted from windows 98 but it only detected 59.something GB so i booted from winxp cd again and all my partitions were gone... is this reversable???

There may have been no option to format in FAT32 because XP will not format a partition larger than 32G in FAT32 (not that anyone would want to anyway...would really degrade drive performance)
paurna
i think u can use partition magic for to solve u partition problems.
NuniPio
my existing partitions were fat32.. so it should let me keep it that way? and partition magic is no help.. they all show just one big partition
Bones
Yes XP would let you keep partitions larger than 32G, it will just not create them. In your original post you said that you wanted to make the file system FAT32 but there was no option...

I personally don't trust Partition Magic, I've seen it corrupt partition tables doing a simple NTFS partition resize
patrick9480
Something similar happened my hard drive and I thought I had lost all until I discovered the Partition table had been corrupted. You could try Partition magic (set up on another computer) to see if it can see the partitions and info in your hard drive. Otherwise, you will have to learn to data mine like I did. It took me forever recovering most of my data but it was better than paying a so called professional 25 per hour.
eki_sp
Ontrack "EasyRecovery" have helped me several times, only you have to transfer recovered files to next hard drive ...
ezekiel_rage
NuniPio wrote:
i plugged the hardrive into another pc and found one big partition which has no file system.. can i undo the partitions?

It seems that your problem is caused by a corrupted partition table. you could recover the original partitions.

i recommend you download and use the Universal boot cd http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

it has a lot of programs that you really should not be without.

after you have burned UBCD, boot from it and use the various partition tools that comes with it.

i would recommend that written by C. grenier. very powerful and very easy to use.

hopes this helps
NuniPio
patrick9480 wrote:
Something similar happened my hard drive and I thought I had lost all until I discovered the Partition table had been corrupted. You could try Partition magic (set up on another computer) to see if it can see the partitions and info in your hard drive. Otherwise, you will have to learn to data mine like I did. It took me forever recovering most of my data but it was better than paying a so called professional 25 per hour.

yes i think its the partition tables that are screwed... is there a way to fix that?