FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rich Kids

qbawler311
Paris Hilton, Athina Onassis, George W. Bush, and the antagonists from all those 80's movies. Spoiled, pretentious, superficial and snotty. Everyone hates rich kids.

Let's say your a wealthy entrepreneur, amass an assload of wealth, and live the good life. You have a kid. Is he doomed to become a spoiled brat that acts snooty to everyone under him and blow the company's assets in a lifetime of poorly managed decadence?

How would you raise a kid if you're balls rich?
Idoru
I must say, I hope I'd raise him/her in the same way, after the same morals,
that I'm doing. Not quite sure, though, since I agree on the statement that power
corrupts, and I do belive $ is power, though I don't like it.

I ask you back, do you think it's possible?
Mental2k
Personally i don't think all rich kids are spoilt. I think its just the ones whose parents dont really care about them so they dont look after them. It results in them being shallow. I'd just try to give my kids the amount of attention which they require. Not give them everything that they want and basically try to make them the best kids they can be.
Scorpio
Mental2k wrote:
Personally i don't think all rich kids are spoilt. I think its just the ones whose parents dont really care about them so they dont look after them. It results in them being shallow. I'd just try to give my kids the amount of attention which they require. Not give them everything that they want and basically try to make them the best kids they can be.

Precisely.

If the parents had brought the kids up as any other normal kid, they probably would be normal.

But the fact is that these kids have the least influence by their parents and most by outsiders.

Therefore, they are ruined by such a bad influence.
h5n1clan
Mental2k wrote:

Hes exactly right, if you raise your kids good and just dont give them everythey they want or say the need they will turn out just fine. If the parents treat them like normal kids, they will be normal kids. Bill Gates is so rich, yet he makes his kids work for everything they want, they arent like those kids you see on "Super Sweet 16" on MTV where if they dont have what they want, they threaten to kill their kids. Rich kids can be normal kids too
godam64
give much money to your children will make them spoilt. Give them less than they need, so they can struggle for the rest. it will keep them independent and not depends on parents.
if someone used to have lot of money, they'll totally suffer and may be dead if they loose some or all the money.
qbawler311
Mental2k wrote:

I believe they are doomed, if you gave a rich kid he is going to be a prick and probably not even realize it.
meet in rio
I have to agree with Mental2k. If you raise a kid well enough, they're going to realise that asking for the latest handbag isn't going to make them happy.

There are a whole lot of spoiled kids out there whose parents aren't rolling in it - they've just been raised in a way that allows them to be materialistic and demanding. In the same way, I know plenty of people whose parents are quite wealthy yet who wouldn't dream of such a level of brattiness.
[FuN]goku
qbawler311 wrote:
Paris Hilton, Athina Onassis, George W. Bush, and the antagonists from all those 80's movies
What about bill gates xD
Ultima1080
I would pretend I was dirt poor and live in a shack, but have a secret underground mansion.
Bondings
[FuN]goku wrote:
qbawler311 wrote:
Paris Hilton, Athina Onassis, George W. Bush, and the antagonists from all those 80's movies
What about bill gates xD

Bill Gates wasn't born rich or at least not that rich. He earned it himself. Wink
risuarez
You know what I will do. I would send him to the poorest state schools, I will make him use public transportation and I will assign him a short budget so that he have to properly administrate his allowence. That way he will learn the real value of money and when he have matured enoug I will allow him to enjoy his priveeleged life style.
CWFwrestling
I'd spoil him/her rotten. Admit it, it's still your child. I believe your character is 1/2 potential and 1/2 enviroment. People are born with a certain ceiling and floor, but it's their life experiences which shape them.
secret_soul
This is interesting actually because it reminds me of a situation between two girls I know. One is my best friend and her family has so much money it's ridiculous. She never has to worry about anything and she knows that she ahs more money then her friends but she never talks about it and, when she gets new stuff, she shares and she never makes us feel bad. She's probably less-spoilt than me and I am the opposite of rich. I think it's because her parents brought her up knowing that she had money but she couldn't do whatever she liked with it, she had to help earn it and that's really made her who she is today. Then there's another girl I know who is less rich but still has quite a lot and she actually introduced herself to someone byt saying 'Hi, I live in a big house.' [freaked me out]. She's allowed anything she wants and she's always talking about how lucky she is.

In conclusion: I think that it's not how much money you have but how much respect you have for that money and how you were brought up around it. If I were a rich parent I would make sure that my kids appreciated the value of money & were not spoilt.
Rmgk
hey! stop hating on state schools, they liek help me type n stuff,ey

But seriously, just attempt to raise them the exact opposite of that kid from Home Alone.
jaysen
In my opinion theres plenty of kids who are spoiled rotten even though the parents are not rich to start with. My own kids even told me once that I spoiled them... and I'm not rich at all... But i do let them get away with a lot of things and buy them lots of useless crap, permitting it's not harming anyone, and they respect other people, and thier possesions. After all it's your kids- your own flesh and blood. you want them to have everything you never had as a child, but at the same time you want to see them grow up with morals and respect. As long as they do that i will spoil them... but they also know i will bring the wrath of fatherhood upon them if they screw up too lol
Vrythramax
even kids from "poor" families can be spoiled rotten, it's all in the upbringing as was pointed out. I will conceed that kids from rich families are less inclined to have any respect for many things, but there again....that is some, but certainly not all.
a.Bird
I'm thinking most of us are still spoiled to some extent, guestimating by the fact that you're all on a computer and more than likely are not thinking twice about the priviledge your are exercising. What exactly is rich, and what exactly is normal? What exactly constitutes "poor"? The line is not quite so fine and when drawing a connection to how spoiled a person is respectively, innumerable factors must be considered and the line practically vanishes.
Reina
There is a girl like this at the stable where i keep my horse.
She thinks because she has money she pretty much owns the damn establishment and thinks shes the best rider. When really, if it wasnt for her horse, she'd be nothing.
I come across this alot. People are like 'you own a horse, your RICH' and get all snotty about it. And then when i tell them i worked in a supermarket for 3 years to buy the stupid animal their atitude changes instantly.
If we looked at this another way, what about all the rebellious kids who come from the slum. Are they bad kids because they're dirt poor? No they're like that because a) thats whats expected of them b) Thats the way their parents raised them.
Raising a kid is like training a horse. If you dont set boundarys and teach it whats right, whats wrong, and inforce it, of course they're gonna turn out at little brats.
saiyeek
i will tell after i get well off and i get a child..
LadyDiane
As a person that has raised my children both wealthy and poor, I think that money and power have nothing to do with it. As parent it is our responisbility to give our children foundation, and guidance. My wealthy (former) husband was always trying to buy my our son's love and respect, by showering him with expensive bobbles. It only worked because my son felt he was missing out on something his other friends had.

I truly feel that giving you children those things you never had, or could never afford is not bad, however, you also need to give them guidance and a sense of responsiblity in the ownership of those items. You need to give them the ability to be responsible for their choices, and pay the consequences of their decisions.

There really is no problem with being wealthy or being poor. Both have their pluses and minuses. Bringing your children up with values, responsiblity and a solid foundation that can be built on can be accomplished in both environments.
HDirtwater
I think people who hate all rich people because they generalize them into being spoiled or snotty are just as bad as those who think they own the world because they have money. Not all rich people are bad, only those who take what they have for granted.
a.Bird
HDirtwater wrote:
I think people who hate all rich people because they generalize them into being spoiled or snotty are just as bad as those who think they own the world because they have money. Not all rich people are bad, only those who take what they have for granted.

Very well said.
lycadia
I'm just going to jump in here to agree that it's attitude and upbringing not level of wealth. Not that I have a lot of concrete evidence, having gone from middle class to dirt poor (No running water, no electricity and no home at various points in my childhood) back up to at least being working class, though miles from wealthy. *shrugs* I've seen a lot of people who are simply dreadfully selfcentered both rich and poor. For some reason large portions of the media seems to be interested in glorifying the worst examples of humanity, however, so that isn't doing anything to reduce the tendancy for people to Want to be rich and act spoiled, even if they aren't particularly wealth.
Code of Ruin
If you raise a kid properly then you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure that he knows how to handle money. Then it won't be a problem if he let's it flow.
Providence
Well, you'd need to teach your child the ways of the world and how it works. You couldn't let it revolve around them. Letting them have everything and anything they want, just because you have the money. It all depends on the attitude of the child and parent so they can come to some sort of agreement to what will go on. I'd rather not have a spoiled child because i've seen it with my own sister. She may only be young, but if she wants something and can't have it that's it. A huge tamtrum about it. Asking, why not, why not. That sort of thing. It is a pain in the ass to put up with. But then, you don't need to be rich to get spoiled. So, in fact been rich could even make it worse.....
Hogwarts
With my family my parents are .. not near rich, just well off. We have 2 houses and a heap of other stuff, but ... I've only had junkfood twice this year. And all they were were chips from a place not far from here. (sigh). Actually, they are fairly stingy with pocket money as well (Yep, I still don't have a job. At 13 why don't YOU try to get a job.), seeing as I only started getting pocket money half way through last year. Actually, they deprive me of everything except for the things I need (Pff... When will they realise I have a 15" monitor?!).
alexcheng
I think many people get the wrong impression from just a few spoilt rich kids, like the ones mentioned in the original post.

But keep in mind here that there's hundreds of thousands of 'rich kids' that we never hear about that go on to great success. It definately has to do with good parenting and the environment they're raised in.

Where I grew up, there were a lot of rich spoilt asian kids that didn't know the value of money. However, most of them actually grew up alright, there are exceptions of course, but ithink in the end it just depends how their parents raised them.
wumingsden
I think it completely depends on how you are brought up. If you are born into wealth then you are more likely to be the snotty little rich kid that everybody, including me, dislikes to such an extent.
If however your parents have earned their money and you've seen them work so, so hard to achieve this then you should recognise that the spoilt rotten look isn't a good thing. My parents weren't born rich, but we now have two houses.
All of my friends as well as people that I have never met before think that I act "posh" - I obviously disagree with this. My extended family in S. Harrow are very, very rich but they don't look down on people which I like. I personally cannot stand people who think that they are better than someone else because of their wealth. Saying this however, in the What "label" are you? thread I came out as Prep 80% which is an honest surpise as I didn't even know what it was. Later I was informed from a member of the forums by a PM that Prep means:

Quote:
Like the privite school kind. Like they where the pink swetters and stuff like that.
Sort of like that. They are rich snotty annoying kids (most of the time) that think they are better then everyone else.

The actual quote.

*P.S - In my opinion posh and rich are two different things.
silvermesh
its not so much about rich or poor, it's about the value of money. people who put money first, whether they have it or not, will instill that value upon their children. so the rich kids are snobs, and the poor ones hate anyone with money. Money isn't something that makes children grow or learn, so it should be out of the equation. the experience should be the same no matter what. If I struck it rich, my children wouldnt see a dime directly. my daughter would get the wedding of her dreams, but thats a one shot thing, and thats just because I've seen first hand how crippling it can be to pay for your own wedding Wink
whplace
Yeah i know. Sometimes i feel really jealous of rich ppl. Makes me want to do something to bcome famous!

You know............ all the same!

whplace
Helios
Many "Rich Kids" are spoiled.

Even if you're a son/daughter of a rich family, you shouldn't allow your parents to spoil you!

I am a child of a poor family, I must say.
Though I never actually felt jealousy, instead I always pity the spoiled kids.
Mr Smith
As long as you earnt the money yourself, I see no worry. Some retard with no job on the side of the street complains about rich people, and how he is poor, how the rich don't give to the poor... WHY THE HECK SHOULD WE!?

In other words, and on topic. Wealth will not stop the way humans work.
webcola
That's the same question I was asking myself! I'd worry that my kids would grow up taking too many things for granted and such, but at the same time I would know that they are living in perfect conditions. I wouldn't want my kids to go through what I went through.
jabapyth
http://therichjerk.com
frozenhead
They're rich... That's fine! though.. I really don't care who and how they are..

I still admire and be interested to someone who earn by his own ways.. (from rugs to riches I must say). Wink
quixotic
As was said before, it really depends on the parents, and not how much money they have at all.

You listed some pretty famous spoiled rich kids, but just think about it. You never hear about the good, level-headed rich kids. Why? Because they're not waving their money around, and they're not spoiled brats.
The_Gamer294
ugh rich kids suck, mostly because their parents dont raise them. there money does.
Mamsaac
I would just do it the same way my father did to me: don't give lots of money to them. Don't buy them too many things. If they want something, make them work for it.
seanooi
If i were balls rich and had kids, I think i would raise them as if I were an average joe.
I don't like spoiled brats, so I'm not hoping my kids to be one of them. Making them earn what they want is one of the things i'll do in order for them to realize that money doesn't drop from the skies or grow on trees.
arabarea
Salut les amis Very Happy
rightclickscott
(My first time in this thread, strange...)

I can't really hate rich kids. I can envy them, I can loath them, I can make fun of them, I can crash their partys, I can vomit on their cell phones, I can hit on them, I can date their ex-girlfriends, I can never, EVER watch MTV, I can steal their money, and most importantly, I can kick their little rich asses on Xbox Live, but I can't hate them, because if I became rich or married a rich girl and had kids, they'd probably grow up spoiled too. Until then, though, I do dislike spoiled rich kids. Oh, there is one that I absolutely hate, Paris f*cking Hilton. She can't do anything well, and she's a complete retard, and what happens? SHE GET'S REWARDED FOR IT! I say Natural Selection needs to take it's course and weed out the weak links like her. I'm sure that if she died right now, there would be tons of very happy people! Her sister, though, she doesn't act as stupid, and I do like her. I would be with her if I had the chance.
xorcist
I wouldnt give my kids alot until they worked hard for it. If I see them working hard then I will help them out a little bit. I would give them money after a while but I want to make sure they know how hard it is to make the money.
Donutey
This kid I know is the son of the vice-president of a major insurer, and his dad runs a clinic. I guess he's not spoiled because his parents are pretty tight with money, not really stingy, but they don't buy things that they don't need.
caroline
About Bill Gates, he earned all the money he made himself.
He's a good example of how not to have bratty kids, if he gives his money to charity when he dies, and the kid knows it, then the kid will probably know that he/she will have to work hard for his/her money! Smile
JSmile
Bah, bad parents will raise bad children. Wealth is certainly not an indicator of parenting skills. However, with that said, I'd like to give my children opportunities I never had. I think it would be an honor for my success to transfer to them, but would that in turn "spoil" them since they are lucky by association.

Oh boy, now I'm philosphizing.
lycadia
quixotic wrote:
As was said before, it really depends on the parents, and not how much money they have at all.

You listed some pretty famous spoiled rich kids, but just think about it. You never hear about the good, level-headed rich kids. Why? Because they're not waving their money around, and they're not spoiled brats.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
However, again, I think the way our society (at least mine, being in the US) glorifies this is only making the problems that relate to wealth and to have / HaveNot attitudes of dicotomy worse. For example, there are shows like My Super Sweet Sixteen and Daddy's Spoiled Little Girl, Cribs, The Fabulous Life of... and of course, everything Paris Hilton has ever been in, which do nothing BUT glamourize conspicuous consumption and snobbish, spoilt, worthless and selfcentered behavior. And for some reason, the people who don't have that kind of money and never well, still seem to delight in watching them and buying into the idea that these are Good things.

But that's just my 2 cents.
hlavco
Like just about everyone else said, I wouldn't just give the money to them.

Here's an actual quote from my 3-year-old, spoiled (yet still really nice and funny) cousin, from a spoiled kid who's never known anything else's perspective:

"*GASP!* You don't have a TV in your minivan?!"

Their parents are always really busy, so they really just spoil their kids because they can't make the time to do stuff. I wouldn't really want to be rich if I didn't have the time to enjoy it.
alja
I would raise my kid exactly the same way I am raising my daughter now (not being poor, but not being richt neither). Actually I consider myself richt... I have everything (and more) I need and I am "richer" probably as some "rich" people... meaning richer of values and spritual meaning in live... and the most important in raising your kids is to love them... but really love your kids and spend time with them.
soyaholic
The truth is being rich is fabulous.

There is no pressure in scoring As in school. finding a good paying career, working late to earn your promotions, paying off the housing instalments.

Instead, you have a magic wand at hand, just wave and the bag, shoe, holiday is at your feet. You can then choose to pursue your dreams, be the painter you always wanted to, roam the mountains to capture that skyview you have dreamt about, without worrying about your loved ones being ill-provisioned for.
Soulfire
qbawler311 wrote:
Paris Hilton, Athina Onassis, George W. Bush, and the antagonists from all those 80's movies. Spoiled, pretentious, superficial and snotty. Everyone hates rich kids.

Let's say your a wealthy entrepreneur, amass an assload of wealth, and live the good life. You have a kid. Is he doomed to become a spoiled brat that acts snooty to everyone under him and blow the company's assets in a lifetime of poorly managed decadence?

How would you raise a kid if you're balls rich?

So pointing people out and judging them as spoiled, pretentious, superficial, and snotty makes you seem like all of the above.

But to remain on topic, if I had a lot of money, I would really want to stay relatively normal. I mean I wouldn't want some elegant giant house with 100 cars and whatnot. A nice house, nice car, well-to-do is what I'm after. If I was rich, I'd try to raise my kid(s) almost like my parents raised me, some minor adjustments as well... money or no money.
kung_fu_stu
If your rich just don't spoil your kids. Teach them how to earn a thing or two instead of just giving them whatever they want. Would you prefer that your child was a dependant or an independant.
Alpha Dude
kung_fu_stu wrote:
If your rich just don't spoil your kids. Teach them how to earn a thing or two instead of just giving them whatever they want. Would you prefer that your child was a dependant or an independant.

IMHO It all comes down to the way you bring them up.

You could teach them the value of money by pretending to be dead and let one of your servants raise them and all of a sudden when they reach the age of puberty, you pop round the servants house and say "Guess what kids! We were'nt dead afterall! It was all so that you could learn the value of money!"

Of course, they could end up resenting you for the rest of your lives though...Wink
VCK9001
I wouldn't spoil him/her too much, nor would I be too strict on him/her. I'll teach him/her basic principles of morality.
Linda_B
I think that kids have a tendency to get spoilt when parents don't have enough time to spend on their children. The easy way out of that one is to heap up piles of money for your kid so that he feels loved, because somewhere amongst the money bushes a hard working and successful parent might have lost sight of what is really important. Well, as a kid you now have a wonderful lever to pump out the money, because you can guilt your parents into more at your own liking. From there it all turns into a vicious spiral. If their parents then also are famous, then the trip to the famous and expensive clubs isn't far... it's affordable and who doesn't want to be bathed in camera flash lights when you can spend thousands on hair, make-up and clothes.
This isn't everyone, it just seems that way because the quiet ones we know nothing about.
ehm_qhl
Linda_B wrote:
I think that kids have a tendency to get spoilt when parents don't have enough time to spend on their children. The easy way out of that one is to heap up piles of money for your kid so that he feels loved, because somewhere amongst the money bushes a hard working and successful parent might have lost sight of what is really important. Well, as a kid you now have a wonderful lever to pump out the money, because you can guilt your parents into more at your own liking. From there it all turns into a vicious spiral. If their parents then also are famous, then the trip to the famous and expensive clubs isn't far... it's affordable and who doesn't want to be bathed in camera flash lights when you can spend thousands on hair, make-up and clothes.
This isn't everyone, it just seems that way because the quiet ones we know nothing about.

HAHAHAHHAHA!!

good one ! Laughing
Zug Zug
I believe that if you teach your child to be respectful, reponsible, polite/have good manners, and to have good ethics, I don't think that they would become a spoiled brat. I believe that if you raise your child with the understanding that money is something to be saved...not spent wildly on a pair of 500.00 pants...when the 20.00 pants are just as good. If you teach them to spend wisely/don't use that money in inappropriate ways you should be good.

Also spending time with your child helps in their development. They get their ideas from you...so just teach them well, if you're rich or not...if you teach them well...it shouldn't matter.

I know more than half of this didn't make sense lol, I tried ^_^
ainieas
Parents can instill all the values in their precious kids but once they meet the other rich kids, every moral goes out the easy way.
Spe_eddy
i would consider myself/family slighly rich, and i go to a private school, but i hate people who say 'all rich kids are spoilt' the school i go to is on of the cheapest private schools in the country, and its really good. I hate prejudice people. like when im walking home in my uniform, almost everyone gives me a strange look, and people my age/older even start a fight with me, thats maybe just because of where i live though. I admit, although there are a lot of annoying rich kids, just because someone's rich, doesn't mean they are annoying/snotty, dont be prejudice, that's all i ask, if it wasnt for my Grandma (who pays for my school fees) i wouldn't go to a private school
ralphbefree
i wonder if the parents of these rich snob kids think that they did a bad job raising their kids?
Our society is comprised of different hierachies based on economic status. We have the Lower Class, Middle Class, Upper Class, Top 1%, Blue Collar, White Collar. These distinctions are relatively new. Until the advent of the modern corporation society was divided among the ones that controlled money and those that controlled commodities, agriculture goods. a few families controlled the money changing (bankers) and law making (royalty);upper class, while a vast number of people controlled commodities (farmers); lower class.
Starting in the late 1800's and culminating in the 1930's the modern corporation led way for a vast number of people in our society to transition from the ranks of the farmers (lower society) to that of the business man (upper class).
The Great Depression put a lot of farmers out of work, with WWII America saw a revitalization in the workforce. This workforce was comprised mainly of new business amongst a few giant corporations. Thus during the 1950's we saw an attitude where the right job, a job that you worked at for your entire life was deemed critical for the continuing success of the family unit, with the only way to really progress is through the lineage of your children. So it was very important in the late 50's and 60's for parents to impress upon their children the importance of going to a good school and getting a good job.
These rich kid snobs are just mere victims of their own social class pressuring them to continue the survival of the newly formed middle class. These poor kids have developed an over sence of stature based upon the fact that they are more economically situated then someone else. When the fact is that the top 1% wouldn't, couldn't survive with out the middle class so they perpetuate the illusion that the middle class is the American dream while the mortgage companies and bankers continue to dominate the worlds resources.
So the fact is that certain Attitudes towards other people based on economic biasis is fostered by the family to help improve the economic status of the overall family unit, and to those that do not have a strong family unit this can be seen as snobish simply through the lack of misunderstanding or envy.