FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Copyright Law

Billwaa
I am just wondering what is the Copyright Law really about. Is it illegal to download any movie or music? Or is it just on illegal to upload them? I am very confuse because I heard different people saying different stuffs. I am not that good at English, so I can't really understand the bill or law or whatever form that thing is written in. Can someone share what they know?
Blaster
Copy writes are confusing sometimes. You can copywrite anything for free. (I belive) So if you want to put a movie one your site from google it is fine. Becuase you are not changing any copywrite laws. As long as you give them creidet and don't say it was just you. Very Happy Hope that helped.
Vrythramax
the actual "Copyright" protection is in itself free, but it does cost some $$$ to process the documents via a lawyer or firm.

Downloading some music/videos is very free, but you must be careful to observe that the actual site you are downloading from is legit...meaning it is an "Official" source for the product.
Traveller
No lawyer or firm is required, and official copyright protection is NOT free.

The only copyright that is free is what is called "common-law copyright." In general, that means that if you have written something, it may be considered copyrighted (and it only helps a little bit more if you put the actual symbol and date on it). The problem with common-law copyright is being able to prove it in a court should a dispute arise. Some people will send themselves registered mail (real paper, not email) so that they have a copy of the document with an official date on it, but not everyone considers that to be legally sufficient.

To get an official copyright that is officially registered, the document must be sent to the U.S. (or wherever) copyright office with the appropriate registration fee. The usual fee (it could be different for special items) is $30. Though not the $10 it was many years ago, it is still relatively little. Of course, one would not wish to copyright just a single, small item (e.g. a poem) for that amount, but usually would copyright a collection of such items (e.g. a book of poetry).

The document and the application form just need to be sent to the copyright office. No lawyers or companies are necessary unless, perhaps, the copyright is for something for a company that does enough publishing to want to have someone to handle it for them. To quote the information from the copyright office, "There is no requirement that applications be prepared or filed by an attorney."

Finally, for more information, go to the U.S. Copyright Office at http://www.copyright.gov or, more specifically, to their FAQ at http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/.
Vrythramax
*sigh*...once again I stand corrected. Speaking in general and "International" terms...Copyright laws are indeed free, public, and open [to much dispute].

In the US there is indeed a registration and process fee....but there again that only applies to the US and is nonapplicable to other countries, unless under mandate, or dictated, by International Law.

As stated in an earlier post/topic (by persons other than myself), there are other [apparently], much cheaper remedies to providing legal proof, or at least date, of ownership.

For the sake of arguement....there is also no legality stating you need an attorney at any criminal proceeding.
yupeng
U can have a search in google.And there are many international lawa about copyright law.
Also you can buy a book about this topic. Laughing
Traveller
Vrythramax wrote:
In the US there is indeed a registration and process fee....but there again that only applies to the US and is nonapplicable to other countries, unless under mandate, or dictated, by International Law.

A number of countries, but not all, are members of either or both of the Berne or Universal Copyright Conventions (a few smaller ones exist, too). Items registered for copyright in a country which is a member of such a convention are considered copyrighted in all of that conventions countries. Of course (Disney songs aside), it's a big world, and protecting (and defending) something internationally can be quite challenging. Here's what the U.S. Copyright Office says on the subject:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.html

Vrythramax wrote:
As stated in an earlier post/topic (by persons other than myself), there are other [apparently], much cheaper remedies to providing legal proof, or at least date, of ownership.

Just remember what the U.S. Copyright Office mentions about "cheaper remedies":
Quote:
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
Billwaa
ok thanks for the information on how to copyright something, might be useful for copyrighting games, I wrote.

But my original question is is downloading movie or TV show that someone upload on Filefront or megaupload legal?
Traveller
Billwaa wrote:
But my original question is is downloading movie or TV show that someone upload on Filefront or megaupload legal?

Billwaa wrote:
Is it illegal to download any movie or music? Or is it just on illegal to upload them?

Unless the holder of the copyright has permitted the copying or redistribution, both the upload and the download are illegal. The person who uploaded is guilty of possessing and distributing the material, and the person who downloaded it is guilty of receiving and possessing it.
alkady
Billwaa wrote:
I am just wondering what is the Copyright Law really about. Is it illegal to download any movie or music? Or is it just on illegal to upload them? I am very confuse because I heard different people saying different stuffs. I am not that good at English, so I can't really understand the bill or law or whatever form that thing is written in. Can someone share what they know?

This varies from Country to Country, In France, Downloading isnt really illegal, In the US & Canada, It's really debatable, Plus it's really the big copyright violators that get scolded. Usually it's not everyday the small time downloaders are arrested and charged. Uploading is considered illegal in virtually every Country.
Vrythramax
@Traveller...

I never stated that the US laws said any such thing about a "cheaper" remedy, only an earlier post/topic.

Please read and use the Search Function.
Traveller
Vrythramax wrote:
@Traveller...

I never stated that the US laws said any such thing about a "cheaper" remedy, only an earlier post/topic.

Please read and use the Search Function.

I didn't say that you had. In addition, I have no need to search for or read that post because I was the one who posted it. I had said that there was a certain thing that some people try to do, but that it was not generally considered legally sufficient, and was simply providing a quote from the Copyright Office's statements to show, in fact, that that method is "not a substitute for registration."
Vrythramax
did I not post a link to the Copyright Office in my original and your original post and/or topic?

Let it go.
bdoneck
Music has the most restrictive copyrights on it, you cannot download or upload, but most other things are only illegal to upload at the moment but congress wants to pass a new law that harshly punishes any copyright infringement
leat397
You keep them, you would not be prosecuted unless you are telling to everyboby you have them... the action of upload and sending is one of the channel that showing you are having an illegal copy..or, although you have an original copy, you are not allowed to share with the other in principle....of course, such thinking is more or less override by the other excuses usually..
mstreet
Here's an intersting article for this topic http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060501/music_fans_060501/20060501?hub=TopStories
I really think it depends on how it is used.