FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

C++

snowboardalliance
I am learning C++ in school. We use Code Warrior IDE with all the AP libraries for apstring, apvector, etc. Also, we use CMU Graphics. I was wondering what is the best way to use C++ at home? Code Warrior is too expensive so I want something free. Also, should I use the AP classes, or built in C++ things? I just want to be able to try some c++ programming at home, thanks.
Sebaci
Maybe Dev C++ Question http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
lol what
You could also use Visual C++ Express Edition. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
snowboardalliance
Ok, and should I just download the AP Classes? Or is it any better to use the built-in c++ arrays/char for strings?
HoboBarticus
I liked CodeWarrior, if you talk with your instructor you should be able to get a copy of it. If not, just go with something like Dev++. I havent ever used Bloohshed but alot of people apparently approve of that.

As for the AP Classes, For class you will probably need them, just one thing to keep in mind though, they aren't that way in higher level programming. You can copy them from the computers at school, or I believe you can download them somewhere. Google it
snowboardalliance
HoboBarticus wrote:
I liked CodeWarrior, if you talk with your instructor you should be able to get a copy of it. If not, just go with something like Dev++. I havent ever used Bloohshed but alot of people apparently approve of that.

As for the AP Classes, For class you will probably need them, just one thing to keep in mind though, they aren't that way in higher level programming. You can copy them from the computers at school, or I believe you can download them somewhere. Google it

Well I was able to get code warrior from school and I know I need the AP Classes for class but do you think I should learn regular c++ arrays for programming on my own?
HoboBarticus
I would highly recommend it. I fI remember correctly there are a lot of additional functions in the APArray library that make tings alot easier on you. These also have limitations, which is why the APArray isn't a standard library.

Just google "Array class" and find a page with all the functions of the array class listed. You can see what each one does and what is included where. If you take the time to study the class and understand it, it becomes much simpler later on when you take a more advanced course.
snowboardalliance
OK thanks, when I'm done with this class I'm gonna try to learn the other array class, just so I'm not confused in school.