FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creative MP3 Players

snowboardalliance
Does anyone with a Creative notice poor sound quality with it? I know the headphones it comes with suck, but I tried hooking my sleek up to a stereo and it's real quiet but making it louder just makes the sound quality bad. Is it a problem with Creatives? Or is it because of lower quality (128 kbps) mp3s?
Donutey
all mp3 players have low output power, thus you have to turn the sound up loud on your stereo, and at that loud setting most stereos introduce static. It's probably not the mp3 player.
alkady
I'm guessing its the quality, Or even the headphones. The ones that come with any Creative MP3's suck badly.
snowboardalliance
Donutey wrote:
all mp3 players have low output power, thus you have to turn the sound up loud on your stereo, and at that loud setting most stereos introduce static. It's probably not the mp3 player.

Well, I notice a huge difference when my friend put his Ipod mini into the same speakers on full volume. Are Ipods just made better?
faker_phil
They probably are, but still, the "lower quality" is created because all Creative (tm) MP3 Players have a very low sound output. To get the same loudness, you turn the stereo/speakers up, which messes the sound up (static).
Shin
I have a Creative mp3. I have also try Apple IPod. I must admit the sound quality is not as good as IPod. But for the price I paid (compared with the pricey IPod), I really can't compain. I think it's good for value for money. Smile
Arnie
My Zen Micro 5GB provides excellent results when I hook it up to my stereo (using a mini-jack-to-line-in converter). I do need to put my volume at the max. level, to achieve the same input volume as I would with e.g. a CD. But if I need to save batteries I just increase the volume on the stereo instead. I haven't noticed any quality loss.
psycosquirrel
Creative sucks is the bottom line.

I have a 5Gb Olympus MP3 player that I got for $89 and the quality is outstanding. My old creative on the other hand, just sucked.

To further trash Creative, my sound card I used to have from them sucked. First one was DOA. RMA'd it and got another. The second one died about 6 months later. Creative would not replace it because it had been used in more than one computer. I got a third (they are cheap, who cares) and it was a DOWNGRADE from my onboard sound, so I returned it to the store. GG CREATIVE.
Arnie
That is your experience. I on the other hand only have good experience with Creative, but I do not make my experience the standard because it consists only of a few occurences that are not at all representative for the whole company and its products.
Omega_Squid
that zen vision is pretty cool.....and great for PC users that dont want the Mac-centric Ipod........also, pyscsquirrel, i do like the soundcards that creative makes, some of the best on the market! Laughing
Omega_Squid
Noticed how old this topic was, and I am wondering Why on Earth did i reply to this 22 days after the latest post? lol, that was pretty stupid of me, as well as posting this reply right here! Surprised Oh well...
mercurial
i had two frens who bought zen micro 5gb and they complained tt it had lots of problems regarding the headphone jack..and one of them had to send it to repair and ended up getting a brand new one..

but still overall..creative mp3 players still very much suck..i would rather buy apple..but the down point bout apple is the absence of fm radio \:
Helios
snowboardalliance wrote:
Does anyone with a Creative notice poor sound quality with it? I know the headphones it comes with suck, but I tried hooking my sleek up to a stereo and it's real quiet but making it louder just makes the sound quality bad. Is it a problem with Creatives? Or is it because of lower quality (128 kbps) mp3s?

Both mp3 and your stereo have AMPs (amplifiers).
By logic, the one who's making all the static is the stereo AMP.

Well, if it's making static means the AMP isn't very good Razz
ie The circuit that does the amplifying isn't properly built.
This statement of mine is also proved by what you've said: "it's real quiet".
The AMP isn't, let's say.. good enough, to take that low signal amplitude, amplify it properly and boost the speakers with it.

However, you can mod your stereo AMP and improve the quality(like I did for my old SANYO external AMP), or just try to keep the wolume at 50%.

You can also buy a good external AMP, if you have the cha$-ching$.

Anyway, those little mp3 players aren't built for avarage stereo systems ^^
They are built mainly for tiny headphones Smile