FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats using [insert file name here]?

dz9c
I cannot edit, delete or anything with this music file I have because its 'being used by a program'. I have checked my processes and cant see what would be using it. All my media players and everything to do with music/media is closed! I know I could probably restart the comp and it would be okay but I dont want to do that. There must be a way to find out whats using this file so I can close/fix this. Anybody know? Thanks Smile
SoftStag
It could be anything, but more worryingly it could be a virus. I would suggest you update your virus checker and do a full system scan.
tungtony
It's quite hard to find which software is using the media file.
Because the file not only using by software but also may be opening in the cache. So if you reboot the computer. It may be return to normal.

Hope this can help you.
CrimsonStrange
If you've got Windows 2000 or XP and have Web Content enabled in your folders, quite frequently the media file has been loaded into memory by Windows itself and cannot be edited/renamed, etc. because the embedded Windows Media control is using it.

Arrow Try turning off the Enable Web Content In Folders option (In Windows Explorer-->Tools-->Folder Options-->General...) refresh the folder, and see if that solves your problem.