FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


TAEKWONDO PHILOSOPHY - a way of life





sentinela
1st... What is Taekwondo?

Taekwondo is a extremely developed system of fighting skills, which is a very scientific martial art as a Korean traditional one.

However, the Taekwondo is not to be confined in the concept of fighting skills

Taekwondo spirit includes the <Do> which advances both mind and life, and you can find this in the etiquette and mind training.

And Taekwondo is a martial art that was developed as a world wide sport today.

In this manner, Taekwondo can be defined as a scientific fighting skill inclusive of a good training method on mind and body, which is a world wide sport at the same time.

Taekwondo has been developed almost all the way along with the flow of Korean history for a long time. And since the history of Korea was much influenced by another countries around with its influences over them the development of Taekwodo was in the interactions with another kinds of oriental martial arts.

Thus, Taekwondo is similar to them and shares many important or trivial features with them.

However, we can find some differences between Taekwondo and another kinds of oriental martial arts. ; First, Taekwondo is very dynamic using much of kicking with active motions.; Second, Taekwondo's principles of motion accord exactly with those of spiritual training and of life in the philosophical depth.; Third, this Taekwondo is different from anothers in the active poses and dynamic beautifulness.

These reasons make Taekwondo beloved by many people in the world.
sentinela
You can realize Taekwondo only when you learn the right way training yourself with sweat and sincerety.
odinstag
So far I have never seen TKD win in anything that wasn't confined to TKD practicioners.

I have been a fighter and trainer for 15 years now. TKD is a sport. It is only a sport. To think it is a self defense skill is a misconception at best.

If you want to learn a sport and stay in shape, TKD is good. If you are a serious fighter and don't wanna die in the street, you may wanna learn a lot more than TKD.

I started out learning from TKD students. So this is from experience. If you are into Self Defense in real life situations, go for Krav Maga.

TKD was developed as a sport and lacks the scientific backing of real life street confrontations. So it only works in the ring most the time. I'm not saying you can't get luck and win on the streets using it. But it don't win in the ring with other arts as it's rival. That is a fact.

I have personally seen TKD Black Belts lose to novice fighters of more scientific and self defense oriented arts. Get ahold of a TDK person and take them down. Thier ground skills are non existent.
odinstag
sentinela wrote:
You can realize Taekwondo only when you learn the right way training yourself with sweat and sincerety.


And I don't go for this "You will realise it's power when you are more enlightened" crap either.

Here's the secret of fighting. NO matter what sport you train in.

Learn the basics. Learn them till you are an expert in the basics.

When you fight. Use the basics because it is what your body will most naturally use out of experience. Our body reverts to what it knows how to do best under stress.

Oh, and know that you can take the heat of battle. Last place you wanna find out you have a glass jaw or low tolerance for pain is in a real fight.

Know the stand up game and the ground game. If you are not confident on the ground you better make sure you can stay on your feet. This means practicing the sprawl and clench.

Fact is, some 90% of Real Fights end up on the ground. And are seldom one on one.

If you train to fight one on one in the ring. You lose on the street.

If you do not train extensively on the ground. You lose on the street.

If you do not train as close to the real thing as you can. You lose on the street.

Hope this helps.

So to wrap it up.

TKD = Good for fitness and as a sport.

TKD Does Not = Good in most real life confrontations.
Whong
odinstag wrote:
So far I have never seen TKD win in anything that wasn't confined to TKD practicioners.

I have been a fighter and trainer for 15 years now. TKD is a sport. It is only a sport. To think it is a self defense skill is a misconception at best.

If you want to learn a sport and stay in shape, TKD is good. If you are a serious fighter and don't wanna die in the street, you may wanna learn a lot more than TKD.

I started out learning from TKD students. So this is from experience. If you are into Self Defense in real life situations, go for Krav Maga.

TKD was developed as a sport and lacks the scientific backing of real life street confrontations. So it only works in the ring most the time. I'm not saying you can't get luck and win on the streets using it. But it don't win in the ring with other arts as it's rival. That is a fact.

I have personally seen TKD Black Belts lose to novice fighters of more scientific and self defense oriented arts. Get ahold of a TDK person and take them down. Thier ground skills are non existent.


I've been practising Tae Kwon Do for 2 years now, and I can tell you that it is a great method for selfdefence, not so much for locks and grapples but for more ruff self defence where locks and grapples won't work!
It is a sport, yes but a great Martial Art! Even Bruce Lee practised it and he is the best you can find!

For me TKD is method of selfdefence and a sport and by faith in Jesus I'll go on! By God we can do anything! Laughing
polarBear
FLAME ALERT: I CAN ONLY WRITE BASED ON WHAT I KNOW OF. AND I KNOW SIPALKI, SHOTOKAN KARATE AND HWARANG DO. MY THOUGHTS ON TAE KWON DO ARE HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY THE PREVIOUS. IF YOU CAN CORRECT ME, PLEASE, DO IT.

Allow me to explain the problem here. Most TKD dojangs teach bullshido instead of TKD. When taught and practiced seriously you can get to be a pretty deadly fighter. When not, you can see 8 y/o kids wearing a black belt (I've seen this happen).

I personally am a Sipalki student, and have seen it in practice quite a few times (It has been proven even in really wacky situations). This happens mainly because the conceiver of this art himself used to train specOps when he was young, using his knowledge of a martial arts branch called Ion Bi; all this makes what he conceived an art made for SURVIVING on mostly every situation. It uses a variety of things not many people like -eye popping, groin kicks, knee breaking, neck locks, usage of bricks, coins, pens, bars, walls and the floor itself as weapons, et cetera- 'cause the whole martial art was BUILT FOR THAT.
Tae Kwon Do was instead built as a joyful interpretation of hwarangDo, and exported freely and with little control to the whole world. This is what makes the bullshido alarm ring so much on this 'tae kwon do philosophy' stuff. Yes, there is a Tae Kwon Do philosophy, as there is a Jedi philosophy too, though it is mainly foreign to the Tae Kwon itself: The DO is a japanese term for 'way'. As it is VERY artificial, it has a huge chance to be incoherent with the very history of Tae-Kwon-Do. This may not be the case, but it is really very possible.
When Karate-Do was exported to the world, and got really high acceptation, the only way to get taken seriously was to have the DO somewhere. Take Kwon Do is born then. It takes the hwarang-do methods, their philosophy, copies and pastes the Do and punches the japanese philosophy somewhere so it doesn't sound so bad.
Yes, Sipalki-Do is also a marketing construct, that's why most people that know what it is call it simply Sipalki or Ion Bi. It is not a 'Do'. It is Sipalki.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A nice article indeed, some really noble thoughts, though all that illumination stuff gets me a little pissed.


PS: If you don't know what bullshido is, google it.
Whong
polarBear wrote:
FLAME ALERT: I CAN ONLY WRITE BASED ON WHAT I KNOW OF. AND I KNOW SIPALKI, SHOTOKAN KARATE AND HWARANG DO. MY THOUGHTS ON TAE KWON DO ARE HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY THE PREVIOUS. IF YOU CAN CORRECT ME, PLEASE, DO IT.

Allow me to explain the problem here. Most TKD dojangs teach bullshido instead of TKD. When taught and practiced seriously you can get to be a pretty deadly fighter. When not, you can see 8 y/o kids wearing a black belt (I've seen this happen).

I personally am a Sipalki student, and have seen it in practice quite a few times (It has been proven even in really wacky situations). This happens mainly because the conceiver of this art himself used to train specOps when he was young, using his knowledge of a martial arts branch called Ion Bi; all this makes what he conceived an art made for SURVIVING on mostly every situation. It uses a variety of things not many people like -eye popping, groin kicks, knee breaking, neck locks, usage of bricks, coins, pens, bars, walls and the floor itself as weapons, et cetera- 'cause the whole martial art was BUILT FOR THAT.
Tae Kwon Do was instead built as a joyful interpretation of hwarangDo, and exported freely and with little control to the whole world. This is what makes the bullshido alarm ring so much on this 'tae kwon do philosophy' stuff. Yes, there is a Tae Kwon Do philosophy, as there is a Jedi philosophy too, though it is mainly foreign to the Tae Kwon itself: The DO is a japanese term for 'way'. As it is VERY artificial, it has a huge chance to be incoherent with the very history of Tae-Kwon-Do. This may not be the case, but it is really very possible.
When Karate-Do was exported to the world, and got really high acceptation, the only way to get taken seriously was to have the DO somewhere. Take Kwon Do is born then. It takes the hwarang-do methods, their philosophy, copies and pastes the Do and punches the japanese philosophy somewhere so it doesn't sound so bad.
Yes, Sipalki-Do is also a marketing construct, that's why most people that know what it is call it simply Sipalki or Ion Bi. It is not a 'Do'. It is Sipalki.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A nice article indeed, some really noble thoughts, though all that illumination stuff gets me a little pissed.


PS: If you don't know what bullshido is, google it.


I can tell you this, my coach(we have many, but the main coach) is a immencly deadly fighter! He has strong puches and kick, he is very fast and accurate!

Wink

TKD might look like an exebition art but it is really good! But as Bruce Lee says, use what is effective, use what's easy, use what's the easiest way to get out of the situation! If a guy comes and grabs you from the shirt, stomp his feet or punch him to the stomach! Laughing

Have you practiced TKD, if not try it! I don't know how it is there where you live, but here in Finland where I live it is good! Wink
polarBear
2 simple questions:
a)If you start a fight with some dude at a disco, would you bandal chagui him or just try to cool down things?

b)What belt are you now and how old are you?

c) What does your sabonim think about this situation?
Whong
polarBear wrote:
2 simple questions:
a)If you start a fight with some dude at a disco, would you bandal chagui him or just try to cool down things?

b)What belt are you now and how old are you?

c) What does your sabonim think about this situation?


a) I'd of course to cool it down, but if not what else there is to be done! If crowd of guys surround you and you can't escape I don't really see an other option that doing the necessary things if cooling them down doesn't work!

b) I'm a 5 kup that is green belt with a blue stripe! I'm 16 years old!

c) I don't know I haven't asked him! Probably the same as I told in the a) part!
maths
I learn kyokushin karate and its founder is also korean, Mas Oyama

sentinela wrote:
1st... What is Taekwondo?

Taekwondo is a extremely developed system of fighting skills, which is a very scientific martial art as a Korean traditional one.

However, the Taekwondo is not to be confined in the concept of fighting skills

Taekwondo spirit includes the <Do> which advances both mind and life, and you can find this in the etiquette and mind training.

And Taekwondo is a martial art that was developed as a world wide sport today.

In this manner, Taekwondo can be defined as a scientific fighting skill inclusive of a good training method on mind and body, which is a world wide sport at the same time.

Taekwondo has been developed almost all the way along with the flow of Korean history for a long time. And since the history of Korea was much influenced by another countries around with its influences over them the development of Taekwodo was in the interactions with another kinds of oriental martial arts.

Thus, Taekwondo is similar to them and shares many important or trivial features with them.

However, we can find some differences between Taekwondo and another kinds of oriental martial arts. ; First, Taekwondo is very dynamic using much of kicking with active motions.; Second, Taekwondo's principles of motion accord exactly with those of spiritual training and of life in the philosophical depth.; Third, this Taekwondo is different from anothers in the active poses and dynamic beautifulness.

These reasons make Taekwondo beloved by many people in the world.
UlrikeSE
Tae Kwon Do is more of an art, a dance.
Whong
UlrikeSE wrote:
Tae Kwon Do is more of an art, a dance.


But it is effective too, all those great kicks! Wink
I see Tae Kwondo Do as a sport for some, but as a method of selfdefence for me, selfdefence doesn't in my opinion mean that you would defend yourself with out your opponent getting hurt! Selfdefence is something that you protect yourself and do the things you need to stay safe! But not beat the opponent more than needed!

Thats how I would describe selfdefence! Idea Wink
Related topics
Philosophical definition of LOVE
Hello! My Name is Adriano
TAEKWONDO!!!
Praise the Lord...whoever they may be...
Do you belive in the life after death??
State your Political Philosophy! (1000 FRIH$ to the best!)
My Philosophy
Satre, Russel, Ayer Philosophy questions
What is Philosophy to you?
The new philosophy I'm trying to adopt: Anti-Humanitarisim
Scott Breaths Life Into Frihost: 2 Effed Up News Stories!
Philosophy o life
Atheism or Agnosticism... Which is more rational?
New sections added in ‘Philosophy of life and other essays&q
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.