FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't UN-INSTALL Joomla!

ibay
Hi, I can't delete my joomla files and folders through file manager and FTP, it gives error: "permission denied". I have CHMODed them to 777, but still the same error.
If possible, please delete these directories in my public_html folder as they belong to joomla:
Administrator, Components, templates
OR tell me how to do it. Thanks.
Diebels
ibay wrote:
Hi, I can't delete my joomla files and folders through file manager and FTP, it gives error: "permission denied". I have CHMODed them to 777, but still the same error.
If possible, please delete these directories in my public_html folder as they belong to joomla:
Administrator, Components, templates
OR tell me how to do it. Thanks.

Read this topic, it works
ibay
Which topic? I can't see any link!
Bondings
Could you try again now? It should normally be working now as I chowned all the files to your ownership.
ibay
It is working now, I have deleted all unwanted folders.
And what is CHOWNED? Laughing
Please tell me what was the problem which did not allow me to delete my files? What is the proper way of deleting a CMS (as I may need to delete my next CMS)
Bondings
ibay wrote:
It is working now, I have deleted all unwanted folders.
And what is CHOWNED? Laughing
Please tell me what was the problem which did not allow me to delete my files? What is the proper way of deleting a CMS (as I may need to delete my next CMS)

The cms is creating the directories under the user "Apache" instead of your username to better handle those files. However, if you don't own those files, then you aren't able to remove them unless the directory is set to 777.

Chown is a unix command to change the owner of a file or directory.
ibay
Hi, but I tried to CHMOD my directories and all files under them to 777 before deleting them, but it didn't even allow me to change permissions.

just a joke:
if u change the ownership of FRIHOST, will u get CHOWNED? Mr. Green
mOrpheuS
ibay wrote:
Hi, but I tried to CHMOD my directories and all files under them to 777 before deleting them, but it didn't even allow me to change permissions.

Quite obviously, only an owner (or a user with higher privileges) can delegate / relenquish file ownership (or "chown" it).

If you don't own it - you can't chown it.

Hey ! I'm poetic-istic !

ibay wrote:
just a joke:
if u change the ownership of FRIHOST, will u get CHOWNED? Mr. Green

despite the phonetic similarity, "chown" has nothing to do with "own" or "pwn". Wink
In any case, it's FRIHost that would get "chowned", not Bondings himself. Exclamation
ibay
I want to know how to run the CHOWN command? and where to run it?
I have a file headers.php in this directory
/domains/megaspire.frih.net/public_html/skalinksdir/

What would be the command to chown this file?
Bondings
ibay wrote:
I want to know how to run the CHOWN command? and where to run it?
I have a file headers.php in this directory
/domains/megaspire.frih.net/public_html/skalinksdir/

What would be the command to chown this file?

I put you on a daily cronjob that chowns all the files in /home/ibay/ to your username.
ibay
OK Thanks, but I needed to edit a file created by "Skalinks Directory Script" and owned by Apache. Maybe Apache owns it for a reason, so I wanted to give it back to Apache after editing it. And why chown all files DAILY? why not just once?
Are you sure changing ownership of files does not affect working of scripts?
SpellcasterDX
ibay wrote:
OK Thanks, but I needed to edit a file created by "Skalinks Directory Script" and owned by Apache. Maybe Apache owns it for a reason, so I wanted to give it back to Apache after editing it. And why chown all files DAILY? why not just once?
Are you sure changing ownership of files does not affect working of scripts?

So that the files won't become apache's again, and go through the whole mess. Laughing A Cron job takes care of that
No, changing ownership doesn't affect how the script/file runs. Rolling Eyes
Bockman
On another note:

To avoid you having to Change owner everytime (or wait for the cron job, wich isn't really necessary), you can use a component for joomla! that solves that problem. (and where you can edit/CHMOD/delete all your files)

Try using joomlaXplorer

Be Well Cool