FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dreamweaver or Frontpage

bcnhs81
I am wondering which software is easier to use and which is much better when it comes to functions and the like.. I know there are other site development tools but these two are the only programs which i can get my hands on.. it would also help if you can put some links to some great tuts about webdesign.. thanks
Scorpio
This topic has been discussed a large number of times already

But since you ask

DREAMWEAVER IS THE BEST
sceptileex
hmm... its a pretty obvious answer really. Dreamweaver is the best in web design compared to other stuff like frontpage. Im more used to using Dreamweaver though i also use frontpage sometimes. Dreamweaver is more user friendly i guess Confused Although if im not wrong Dreamweaver * commercially * is alot more expensive XD
manumiglani
Well it depends on what do you want to do. If you want a simple static personal website then frontpage will do that for you very easily. It is more user friendly than dreamweaver. I got started with front page within 1 hour but it took me sometime to get started with dreamweaver. It got templates which makes it real easy to use.

But if you really want to make some commercial site to make some money, then i think you should try dreamweaver. Its got more features than frontpage and its really a powerful web designing tool to use.
shaggly
As the other poster already stated, this topic has been discussed more times than beef making an appearance on the dinner plate. If you do a search on these forums for DreamWeaver you'll get plenty of input.

To repeat my well stated opinion, FP is not even comparable to DW. They're simply not even in the same league. FP is a good tool to start off with and play around in, then when you feel the need to expand and do some real web design, then kick open DW...
xkobram
I only know dreamwever i have never used frontpage... so my vote is for ... DREAMWEAVER!!! Very Happy
clownFart
scorpio wrote:

DREAMWEAVER IS THE BEST

Yup. Its not all gay microsoft like, its sweet adobe like, easy to use with the split design/code view, you have to get this one if your going to designing web content.
Bones
Dreamweaver! Here is a site for some great DW tutorials http://www.webthang.co.uk/
Actually tutorials for other Macromedia software there too (Flash, Fireworks, etc)
sketteksalfa
scorpio wrote:
This topic has been discussed a large number of times already

But since you ask

DREAMWEAVER IS THE BEST

Let me repeat it, since you repeat the question. haha. Can we close this thread?
darkness
Nahhhh.....
I think they are all good....
Dreamweaver is good for - Flash
Frontpage is good for ASP, FPS extensions and SHTML

This my vote guys.
undoweb
Whell, you can use frontpage if you don`t know any thing about webdesign, but I sugest that you can use dreamweaver!
mobe217
I use front page for the basic layout. Once I get done I'll play around with other webpage programs. Dreamweaver is nice but frontpage works just as well. As long as you can edit the lay out use what ever your most comfortable using.
budazz
ulit ulit this topic is 1000 yrs old DREAMWEAVER of course no questions about it...but notepad is the best in creating a website Laughing
tommyarnold
i use an old copy of dreamweaver (1.2) and i think its better than the new frontpage!!
sugarbox
I think dreamweaver good for make script, it have many extension.
front page good for page layout.

but i like editplus Very Happy
Marston
OH MY GOD!! THERE'S ALREADY A STICKY ABOUT THIS! GOD FORBID ANYONE SHOULD READ IT!!1ONE!!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-39720.html
CyanEyed
i used to use front page when i was 9yrs old and it was so boring. now that im all grown up (14) i use photoshop to design it and put it together in dreamweaver - all thats left is to add my content and a few scripts. voila Cool

so to answer ur question: Dreamweaver - complicated but there are loads of tutorials to help
Frontpage: I got bored of it when i was 9. Self Explanatory
Exclamation Rolling Eyes
Gavin
Dreamweaver's tight.
hobbkins
An EXCELLENT print reference for beginning web designers would be Web Design In a Nutshell by O'Reilly publishing.

The book is very comprehensive and update. Give it a look. As far as online references go.

Check out these:

http://www.alistapart.com - Excellent CSS reference
http://www.webdesign.org - Always has great tuts

and to demonstrate the sheer awesomeness of CSS and its limitless possibilities...

http://www.csszengarden.com/

There's many more out there, just google that sucka.
greenwoodmonkey
I have tried Frontpage and found it a nice simple tool to get the basics out of the way with, but there are even simplier apps out there to try , I think I started with was a freebie I found on the front of a PC magazine and went from there.... anyway you weren't askin about that.....

Dreamweaver is by far the best when it comes to Webdesign and even for a newbie you can get to grips with it pretty quickly... there are templates to get you started and MX comes with some great tutorials... PLUS it is far easier to embed stuff you make with flash and fireworks (both macromedia apps that come with the MX Suite)...

You can spot a frontpage website a mile off, and often look clumpy and as if the designer has just clicked a load of wizard buttons to get the final result, look at the source code as well and you get an idea how bad it is.....

Others have mentioned the cost differences, yes Frontpage is cheaper than Dreamweaver, but so is a Skoda when compaired to a Lambo'... you pays your money you makes your choice on that one... I live in Bangkok though, so the money thing isn't an issue, they both cost 100baht (1.50)....

not that I condone piracy in any way shape or form...
alkady
Whoa, I've only used Frontpage, But now that it seem I've made the wrong choice. Due to this popularity, I will definately give Dreamweaver a look.
Scorpio
alkady wrote:
Whoa, I've only used Frontpage, But now that it seem I've made the wrong choice. Due to this popularity, I will definately give Dreamweaver a look.

Give it a trial and then check your pockets to see if you can cough up the bucks needed Wink
Biter
if you know php,html or other language,dreamweaver is best.
if you dont know any webmaster language,frontpage is good.
b4r4t
Biter wrote:
if you know php,html or other language,dreamweaver is best.
if you dont know any webmaster language,frontpage is good.

If You don't know HTML - learn it Smile That's not the point to take the easiest way Smile HTML is not so hard to learn Smile I don't like Frontpage as I dont like MS WORD as a page design tool - code looks awful Razz

I llke Dreamweaver alot (it's gr8 as a notepad replicement - Coder view rulez)... but ... I can't use it for earning $$ in future... not on START, maybe later... but before I buy my own DW ... i have to use Notepad++ which isn't so bad Smile
Satori
So does anyone else use coffeecup? That's what I've been using to work on my web page. I'm pretty new to web design, but I can tell it has a lot of features that I haven't even looked at yet. Not sure how good they are because I haven't needed to use them yet, but the program overall seems to work well for me.

Anyone else ever use it?
Marston
Marston wrote:
OH MY GOD!! THERE'S ALREADY A STICKY ABOUT THIS! GOD FORBID ANYONE SHOULD READ IT!!1ONE!!

Satori
Marston wrote:
Marston wrote:

Chill out Marston. The sticky contains no discussion about which program is better. In fact, the prerequisite to posting on the sticky is that you post in this format:

Helios wrote:
If you have more software to add, please reply with the name of the program and a link to it in this format:
Code:
Software name - http://link

Don't reply at all if you have something to ask, request.. etc. I will DELETE your reply.
Too much spam = the thread will be locked.

Why do you care if people have a discussion about it? Also, don't you have an opinion? I don't see a post from you about which is better in this thread, or the thread you linked to. Can't you either participate in a discussion or ignore it instead of slamming it?
Marston
Satori wrote:
Why do you care if people have a discussion about it? Also, don't you have an opinion? I don't see a post from you about which is better in this thread, or the thread you linked to. Can't you either participate in a discussion or ignore it instead of slamming it?

Look:

bcnhs81 wrote:
I am wondering which software is easier to use and which is much better when it comes to functions and the like.. I know there are other site development tools but these two are the only programs which i can get my hands on.. it would also help if you can put some links to some great tuts about webdesign.. thanks
He could've found out the things I've put in bold there by looking at the sticky, and if he were to have searched, he would've seen that 1.) there are 1000 threads like this already and b.) there are hundreds of posts about web design.

So there.
cknight411
Does anyone have any experience inserting flash in Mambo or Frontpage? Anyone every converted flash from powerpoint to flash? How does that work? How do the timing of pictures work? I need to just try it. I have seen a template with flash and could experiment with replacing the flash but I most likely want it in a different spot. THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK!
sale
Hi, i use Dreamweaver MX 2004 ( i think it's 2004), and its really good, but i have tryed microsoft frontpage 2003 at a friend, and emm... its good but i like dreamweaver more Smile