FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where to start?

ehecatl
I just got my account today (HAPPY! Very Happy) but I'm really confused... I have NEVER seen a hosting, uh, thingie, like this before... Could I get someone to tell me where I could read up on what the heck ftp, pop3 mail, and half that other stuff is? I read all the faqs i could find, and I think I'm slightly more confused than when I started... Sad I don't know what php is... I'm just confused. I'm used to going in and uploading my files, doing my handy little html stuffs, and ladida, but there's so much more on there...! (I guess that's a good thing, but I'm not quite sure how to work with this DirectAdmin...) So if someone could point me in the direction of some info, or give me a quick explaination, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Very Happy

<3 Cat
eepman
You don't need to worry about php or mysql now. But you should be familiar with ftp. Ftp is how you access the server and deposit your files. There is a built in file manager for directadmin under the heading "file manager" and that should suit your needs for now.

Pop3 mail is just a system for mail delivery used by many mail systems. With frih you can make your own emails with your domain at the end for instance "bob@ehecatl.frih.net". Then you can use it like any other email. There is webmail and you can use a client for them.

Php is a languages that runs on web servers and creates html. Mysql is a database it uses. Just an fyi.

Any questions still feel free.
ehecatl
Thank you! Very Happy I very much appreciate your helping me out Very Happy
Bondings
At the moment I suppose you have only one domain, your .frih.net subdomain.

A domain name will have a directory like /domains/<domain_name>/ .

The files that the "public" needs to see, it is your actual website, should always be in the public_html directory.

So the path should always be something like /domains/<domain_name/public_html/ . There is also a shortcut to the public_html in your main directory.

For your (sub)domain (or just any directory) itself to show anything, you need to have an index.html or index.php file in the public_html directory.

Php is a coding language that allows you to output an html file, but with data that is different each time or whatever you want to do with it.

Mysql is a database, that's where an application like a forum can put its data.
Scorpio
ehecatl wrote:
I just got my account today (HAPPY! Very Happy) but I'm really confused... I have NEVER seen a hosting, uh, thingie, like this before... Could I get someone to tell me where I could read up on what the heck ftp, pop3 mail, and half that other stuff is? I read all the faqs i could find, and I think I'm slightly more confused than when I started... Sad I don't know what php is... I'm just confused. I'm used to going in and uploading my files, doing my handy little html stuffs, and ladida, but there's so much more on there...! (I guess that's a good thing, but I'm not quite sure how to work with this DirectAdmin...) So if someone could point me in the direction of some info, or give me a quick explaination, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Very Happy

<3 Cat

Dont you even worry ehecatl, when I came here, I too had no idea what php, mysql and all the other mysterious stuff on the DA control panel was.

It s only two months now and I ve learnt a lot ..

You too can catch up
ehecatl
Bondings - Thank you very much for the quick overview Very Happy I've been waiting awhile to put up my site somewhere and I'm very happy to have found a place now, even as confusing as it is... And I very much appreciate your helping me clear some things up Very Happy

scorpio - Thank you for the moral support Very Happy lol Knowing that someone came into frihost with the same amount of knowledge (or lack of knowledge, lol) as myself and was able to catch on quickly enough really gives me alot more confidence in myself and my (un)abilities here, thank you! Very Happy

<3 Cat